48 replies to this topic

#1 winstoninabox

winstoninabox

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 01:59 AM

My link

Not much information, but still good news.

#2 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 02:13 AM

My link

Alright now that is great news.

#3 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 02:17 AM

Woot! And so it begins again!

#4 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 02:20 AM

I wonder if this is the same game we saw footage of in december and found out in i believe febuary it was in development for 20 months

#5 Chief of SIS

Chief of SIS

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 02:42 AM

Smashing stuff really.

#6 Garth007

Garth007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 04:14 AM

Cool Stuff. Now let the speculation begin! :D

#7 00 Brosnan

00 Brosnan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:40 AM

Good news. I believe the Raven Software Bond game is a third-person shooter like Bloodstone, but we'll see. Hopefully this game is more polished than Bloodstone with it's incredibly short single-player campaign and lack of almost any replay value. If this is another Call of Duty clone I'm going to be mad too.

#8 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:58 PM

Yes; third person with a bit of driving, please. Blood Stone didn't get it quite right but approached it in the right way, I'd say.

#9 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 02:04 PM

I too hope it's the third person Raven title. And that we'll get the Bond theme this time. Either way, by the end of the year we'll be enjoying another, new adventure. Really exciting news, hopefully we see some footage at E3 in June.

#10 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 03:39 PM

Although I'd like to see a follow up to Bloodstone, this is still great news indeed.

2011/2012 are turning out to be good years for Bond and his fans. :D

Edited by TheREAL008, 10 May 2011 - 03:39 PM.

#11 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 05:48 PM

Absoloutly fantastic! My heart just raced. Bond will be back very soon!

#12 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:31 PM

Coming out at the end of the year, just like the new Call of Duty game. Hey Activision, don't forget to schedule their releases one week apart again, to maximize your losses!

#13 Donovan Mayne-Nicholls

Donovan Mayne-Nicholls

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 381 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:23 AM

Coming out at the end of the year, just like the new Call of Duty game. Hey Activision, don't forget to schedule their releases one week apart again, to maximize your losses!

I'm glad for the fans but I don't understand why they keep beating a dead horse. GoldenEye for N64 was a one-of-a-kind success but MGM's greed spoilt it almost immediately with TND. Bond does not generate enough attention on console games. Then again, I never understood what they insisted in releasing novelisations. They're supposed to "sell" the movie to readers but they're only bought by people who're going to watch the movie anyway!

#14 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 02:40 AM

Blood Stone didn't get it quite right but approached it in the right way, I'd say.

Agreed.

#15 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 03:46 AM

I'm hoping the early reports of this being stealth centric are true.

#16 00 Brosnan

00 Brosnan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 07:01 AM

Yes; third person with a bit of driving, please. Blood Stone didn't get it quite right but approached it in the right way, I'd say.

I never understood why some people want driving sections in a third-person shooter. The mechanics are always....always crap. Driving works in a multi-player first-person shooter as a quick mode of transportation or a racing game where everything is built around the cars and the track.

I'm glad for the fans but I don't understand why they keep beating a dead horse. GoldenEye for N64 was a one-of-a-kindsuccess but MGM's greed spoilt it almost immediately with TND. Bond does not generate enough attention on console games. Then again, I never understood what they insisted in releasing novelisations. They're supposed to "sell" the movie to readers but they're only bought by people who're going to watch the movie anyway!

GoldenEye truly was a one-of-a-kind success, but that doesn't mean other Bond games haven't or won't be successful. None of them have or probably ever will leave a mark like GE64 did, but that isn't necessary as few games leave that kind of a mark on the industry.

The only truly successful (both commercially and critically) modern Bond games have been GoldenEye 007, The World is Not Enough, 007 Nightfire, Everything or Nothing, and GoldenEye Wii. That leaves TND, 007 Racing, AUF, GE:RA, FRWL, QoS, & Bloodstone as either commercial or critical failures..or both.

The problem is EA and Activision. The way they make games (too long to explain it all here) leaves them with inconsistency in their products (i.e one game will be good and then the follow up is crap). EA has gotten better in recent years and focused on new and original properties and really put more effort into some of their games. Activision however is what EA used to be....the majority of their games are sequels/follow ups that are rushed out the door on a 1-2 year basis from multiple development studios.

I'm hoping the early reports of this being stealth centric are true.

I have serious doubts about Activision (the new EA...if you know what I mean) being able to pull off a good third-person stealth game..especially with James Bond as the character. The guy is no Solid Snake. They will fill it with a few takedown/grapple moves, some duck/cover shooting mechanics, a bunch of scripted events, and a ton of explosions.

Activision doesn't have the creative minds to produce something like Metal Gear Solid (the King of all stealth games). Maybe they could get away with a poor man's version of Splinter Cell (..which has great stealth gameplay, but lacks depth everywhere else) though.

#17 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:44 PM

I'm glad for the fans but I don't understand why they keep beating a dead horse. GoldenEye for N64 was a one-of-a-kindsuccess but MGM's greed spoilt it almost immediately with TND. Bond does not generate enough attention on console games. Then again, I never understood what they insisted in releasing novelisations. They're supposed to "sell" the movie to readers but they're only bought by people who're going to watch the movie anyway!

Well, I actually like Bond games. I never forget a Bond game like GoldenEye introduced me to GoldenEye the film and made me a Bond fan in 1998. I don't know, but maybe new Bond games might bring new Bond fans, because i know I was one of those boys. Of course, I disagree with these ideas of turning Bond games into films/novels, but I quite like the Bond games. Just my tought :)

#18 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:18 PM

I never understood why some people want driving sections in a third-person shooter. The mechanics are always....always crap. Driving works in a multi-player first-person shooter as a quick mode of transportation or a racing game where everything is built around the cars and the track.

Well make it not crap please :)

#19 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:18 AM

I thought Blood Stone was decent but the driving modes were crap. Memorizing a pre-determined route to finish the level is more frustrating than fun. I would like to see some more stealth elements ala Splinter Cell. Regardless, it's nice to see a new Bond game in the works.

#20 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 03:03 AM

My link

I'm already looking forward to it!

#21 Mr.Zukovsky

Mr.Zukovsky

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 02:25 PM

YAY ANOTHER LET DOWN FROM ACTIVISON :)!

#22 Mr.Zukovsky

Mr.Zukovsky

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:15 PM

YOU KNOW IT TO BE TRUE! You guys act surprised and happy when activision says that their making a new bond game,when you know damn well they are greedy and dont care about what the fans want, all they want is MONEY, and when you get the final product your like "i paid 60 dollars for this!!!" You know im right,they have screwed the majority of the bond games they have made, and activision will never get a dime from me, i've played better games on a gameboy!

#23 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:35 PM

Quantum of Solace was entertaining. Blood Stone was great. I think they're on the right track.

#24 winstoninabox

winstoninabox

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 64 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:06 AM

I enjoyed QoS in single player for what it was, but haven't yet player Blood Stone. I hope to one day soon.

That said I'd really much prefer a more stealth-orientated third-person (I want to see Bond) game like MGS or Hitman. I don't mean that there should be an assassination at the end, but that the levels are like puzzles that can be approached in several different ways. I'd still like some action, but I don't need over the top shooting where Bond mows down 50 guys. If shooting and takedowns are one way the level can be approached, that's enough for me. I'm definitely not interested in yet another mediocre first-person shooter. It also doesn't need online unless it is something completely different. For example like Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines. When I do play Blood Stone I'm pretty sure it's online is going to use up about 10 minutes of my time. QoS' was painful enough.

I suspect what we'll get is something akin to QoS or Blood Stone - a competent action heavy third-person shooter with driving. It won't be bad, but won't change the world, scoring 5/10 from the unkind and 7/10 from the very kind.

I just wish the makers of the Bond game after this would be given the freedom to break away from shooting as the central mechanic. Shooting does not equal Bond. Dare to be different.

#25 Garth007

Garth007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 04:13 AM

I really hope this new bond game plays like Uncharted 2: Among theives. not climbing and stuff but story wise. Tell it in such a way that u can't put down the remote because of how much its like a movie. We need that in this game. let Naughty dog make it!!!!

#26 00 Brosnan

00 Brosnan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 06:04 AM

YOU KNOW IT TO BE TRUE! You guys act surprised and happy when activision says that their making a new bond game,when you know damn well they are greedy and dont care about what the fans want, all they want is MONEY, and when you get the final product your like "i paid 60 dollars for this!!!" You know im right,they have screwed the majority of the bond games they have made, and activision will never get a dime from me, i've played better games on a gameboy!

I don't really think it's fair to judge Activision on their Bond games yet. They have only released three so far and they're better than the complete inconsistency EA brought to the table.

Blood Stone is good, but it's way too short and there's no replay value (it's worth $20..not $60) and GE Wii is great, it's no GE 64 (not many games are), but it's worth the $50 if you own a Wii.

I suspect what we'll get is something akin to QoS or Blood Stone - a competent action heavy third-person shooter with driving. It won't be bad, but won't change the world, scoring 5/10 from the unkind and 7/10 from the very kind.

It will be just like Blood Stone only I hope more polished. I'd rather they leave out the driving missions b/c there isn't a single example of a third-person shooter with well crafted driving missions. Waste of time. They'll include some duck/cover shooting mechanics, lots of scripted events and explosions, and a few grapple/takedown moves.

Could be a good game, but it's not going to matter if it's short and there's no replay value like BS, just another bargain bin $20 game.

I really hope this new bond game plays like Uncharted 2: Among theives. not climbing and stuff but story wise. Tell it in such a way that u can't put down the remote because of how much its like a movie. We need that in this game. let Naughty dog make it!!!!

Naughty Dog is a Sony-owned development studio. If Naughty Dog made it, it would be a PS3 exclusive. With a series like Bond you can maximize profits with a multi-platform release.

#27 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 05:10 PM

If we get a game with a stronger story than BS but maintaining the gameplay I'll be thrilled. Activision have done pretty well so far, they just need to market their product. I'm guessing since a game like GE won't be getting released alongside another standalone adventure this year we can count on a considerably more competent ad campaign akin to the QoS game. Really hope it's a TPS and not a COD clone.

#28 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 07:32 PM

Quantum of Solace was entertaining. Blood Stone was great. I think they're on the right track.

Goldeneye '10 was better than both of them - in fact the PS2 QOS was better than the 'real' version. Hmm, how about Eurocom as the lead developer?

In other news, Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 will be released on Nov 8. So we can expect the new Bond game on Nov 1 :)

#29 Garth007

Garth007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 08:01 PM

How is it that Qos for ps2 fallowed the movie better then the 360 and Ps3 version??????? :confused: :S :confused: Why they do that!!!

Edited by Garth007, 13 May 2011 - 08:02 PM.

#30 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 03:51 AM

How is it that Qos for ps2 fallowed the movie better then the 360 and Ps3 version??????? :confused: :S :confused: Why they do that!!!

It had a lot to do with the TPS aspect of it IMHO. A very large part of Bond is the atmosphere, and I really do not think you can sell an environment as well in FPS as you can with the panoramic stylings of a third person shooter.