59 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Twilight

Mr Twilight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 06:59 AM

So it looks like a sequel is finally on it's way. I just loved the first film...

Johnny English 2

#2 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:46 AM

The wait is over!

#3 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 10:00 AM

Brilliant! B)

Lets hope it doesn't turn out like that god-awful Mr Bean sequel.

#4 Lachesis

Lachesis

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 394 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 10:43 AM

I wanted to like the first film more than I did, it was ok but the humour was too hit and miss.....nevertheless the character and idea are still ripe for picking and Atkinson on form is one of the funniest men alive, so I look forward to the release.

#5 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 03:28 PM

Brilliant! B)

Lets hope it doesn't turn out like that god-awful Mr Bean sequel.

I quite liked that - probably mostly because of the girl. Very lovely.

JE 1 was a bit too hit and miss as already pointed out, and I dislike John Malkovich quite a lot as an actor so that was immediately a big minus. It did have some very good laughs though ("What have they done to you!").

I'd rent JE2 on DVD, no doubt there.

#6 AgentBentley

AgentBentley

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 03:44 PM

The first Johnny English was ok, though I wonder if anybody is really waiting for a JE 2. It will look too much like the previous one or like the Bean stuff. Me thinks Rowan Atkinson needs to invent a new character.

#7 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 03:53 PM

People liked Johnny English, eh? I just thought it was horrible (and I like Rowen Atkinson). A really tired spy parody (which in itself is just a super tried concept). But if people liked the first one enough, meh, nothing stops Hollywood from having a bowel moment. Are "the boys" writing this one?

#8 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 03:54 PM

Cool!

#9 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 04:55 PM

People liked Johnny English, eh? I just thought it was horrible (and I like Rowen Atkinson). A really tired spy parody (which in itself is just a super tried concept). But if people liked the first one enough, meh, nothing stops Hollywood from having a bowel moment. Are "the boys" writing this one?

Ah, I forgot - JE1 was a Purvis&Wade script, wasn't it. LOL

#10 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 05:13 PM

I'm a big JE fan so I'm definitely looking forward to this.

#11 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 02:02 PM

The first on had some pretty funny moments. Hopefully, he'll sing another ABBA tune in this one. B)

#12 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 02:09 PM

As if the original film wasn't awful enough.

#13 Gobi-1

Gobi-1

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1529 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 04:07 AM

I quite enjoyed the first film. Although I did not like the literal toilet humor. I would look forward to a sequel.

#14 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 06:39 AM

I hope ol' Banana-Scar Clown Face comes back (if you know what I mean B))...

#15 Conlazmoodalbrocra

Conlazmoodalbrocra

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3546 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 09:11 AM

Fantastic news! Can't wait for this!

#16 AliasTheJester

AliasTheJester

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 09:23 AM

People liked Johnny English, eh? I just thought it was horrible (and I like Rowen Atkinson). A really tired spy parody (which in itself is just a super tried concept). But if people liked the first one enough, meh, nothing stops Hollywood from having a bowel moment.

I assume the first JOHNNY ENGLISH, at least in the UK, was popular with the "silent majority", the greater public who aren't "into" films per say but enjoy watching them. The kind of people who don't tend to post their opinions on films online, and if they did would likely find their tastes somewhat at odds with those who do. The same group who made MAMMA MIA the highest grossing film of all time in the UK, have turned Michael McIntyre into easily the biggest comedian in the country and so forth. Whether this audience really liked ENGLISH enough to see a second film after what is closing in on a whole decade later is another matter.

For my part I found the first JOHNNY ENGLISH very naff but perfectly watchable and fitfully amusing. I sat through it on two occasions (though not by choice) painlessly. I certainly wouldn't rush to the cinema to see a sequel (though I would happily accompany someone), but I would watch it on TV.

Edited by AliasTheJester, 16 April 2010 - 09:24 AM.

#17 Mr Twilight

Mr Twilight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 07:22 AM

Johnny English 2 Recruits New Agent

#18 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:35 AM

Oh I missed this news. I must admit, it's a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine, mainly due to the soundtrack (which I rather enjoy and has a lovely theme) and the excellent car stunt bits: I love the very fast and wonderfully smooth J-turn that Johnny pulls off in his Aston! Better than a lot of Bond driving stunts, that one! And the sequence where he drives to the South of France is rather lovely too.
The jokes I can take or leave! B)

I do quite like the way he isn't completely Clouseau-like in that he has some skills.

#19 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:43 AM

Johnny English 2 Recruits New Agent

The original Johnny English grossed $161 million theatrically worldwide, and only cost $40 million to make.

Well, you can see where they're coming from in making a sequel! B)

#20 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 11:15 AM

JOHNNY ENGLISH was a really laboriously unfunny film. It had its moments and Rowan Atkinson is always good for a laugh (his drag act in BEAN II was oddly very amusing) but ENGLISH II is a dull idea. The first one felt out of date and Purvis and Wade should really know better.

#21 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 12:21 PM

You see, I personally found BEAN II laboriously unfunny. I was sat in the cinema absolutely mortified with what I was watching. I really enjoyed the first ENGLISH film, so I'm rather looking forward to this one.

#22 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 12:30 PM

I always remember the Barclaycard ads which were wittier than the film. I liked the one where Atkinson drops the binoculars in the sea. I have just looked at some on youtube and found one where Atkinson is on the phone to his mum during a surveillance and it reminded me of Elvis in QoS.

#23 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 12:34 PM

You see, I personally found BEAN II laboriously unfunny. I was sat in the cinema absolutely mortified with what I was watching. I really enjoyed the first ENGLISH film, so I'm rather looking forward to this one.

Fair enough. But the BEAN films have some Euro-centric, Jacques Tati charm - well BEAN II did. ENGLISH is just a really tired retread of a very tired genre.

#24 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 12:36 PM

I always remember the Barclaycard ads which were wittier than the film. I liked the one where Atkinson drops the binoculars in the sea. I have just looked at some on youtube and found one where Atkinson is on the phone to his mum during a surveillance and it reminded me of Elvis in QoS.

I loved the Barclaycard adverts! They were always at the start of my old Bond VHS's.

#25 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:06 PM

I loved the Barclaycard adverts! They were always at the start of my old Bond VHS's.

I liked them. I also remember there was an car ad around that time where Desmond Llewelyn played Q which would be good to see again.

#26 Sark2.0

Sark2.0

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 332 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:14 PM

I loved Johnny English. I had no idea it was so hated.

#27 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:16 PM

Oh I missed this news. I must admit, it's a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine, mainly due to the soundtrack (which I rather enjoy and has a lovely theme) and the excellent car stunt bits: I love the very fast and wonderfully smooth J-turn that Johnny pulls off in his Aston! Better than a lot of Bond driving stunts, that one! And the sequence where he drives to the South of France is rather lovely too.

The scene where he uses his torpedoes to obliterate a speed camera was a better version of the clampers scene in TWINE. Very tightly edited too.

Indeed, I always wished there was a scene where Bond finds his car clamped, but a gadget within the wheels is deployed blow the clamp apart, allowing for a smooth exit.

#28 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 03:19 PM

Oh dear god NO!!! As much as I love Rowan Atkinson (Blackadder is my favorite).. I absolutely HATED Johnny English.. B) So I most definitely will NOT be wasting my time and money with English II..

#29 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 01:44 AM

Well, ok. But hopefully it won't be a bad film.

#30 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:14 PM

Pamela Head. Aahahahahahaha! Genius!!!

(not)