79 replies to this topic

#1 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:38 PM

Now, although I have to say that I did enjoy Die Another Day, we all know that is has gotten a pretty bad rap from most people and critics. So, I am just curious as to what you guys did like about the film...and don't say the end credits haha! :D :P But yeah, what did you like or at least appreciate about it? I thought the first part of the film was brilliant. I mean, having Bond captured was something never used before. I mean, yes he has been captured by the baddy and all that, but not in the way it was depicted here: Having his cover blown by someone on the inside. The bleakness was also a nice touch at the beginning of the movie. I remember sitting in the theater and people next to me were all, "Uh oh..." when Zao got the MI6 transmission from Frost. "How will he get out of this one?" It just brought suspense.

So, after getting started, let's continue!

#2 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:51 PM

I liked Miranda Frost.

#3 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:00 PM

JINX

#4 Goodnight

Goodnight

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:01 PM

I love the sword fight :)

#5 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:11 PM

Okay, to go a little further, did you like the dialogue as well in that scene?

Edited by iBond, 21 March 2011 - 10:12 PM.

#6 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:38 PM

I liked Miranda Frost.

Damn you took the words right out of my mouth. Top Five Bond Girl who deserved a much better name.

I really liked Toby Stephens; one of the best Bond villains of all time (I loved all of Brosnan's villains; can't understand why people slag off on them). He was cocky, smarmy, egotistical, conceited....

Liked Halle Berry...she gave a good, but not great performance. Still, coming out of the water in Cuba made several good points in her favor.

The bad:
Too much fakery, and not even done well. Faked going to Hong Kong...faked going to Iceland, when, in actuality, they went. Too much CGI and green screen. Too many action sequences used against a green screen; in fact, probably unprecedented in the entire series.

Plot was a bit too outlandish when it didn't need to be, and plot holes raised more questions than answers (even for a Bond film).

Summary: Despites some rough patches, chemistry between Berry and Brosnan is very good, and it's hard to complain too much about a film that tries to go all out and give you the moon...or in this case a diamond-layered second sun.

Final judgement: I'd rather aim high and apologize for missing the mark than for aiming low and hitting the target. EON and co. have nothing to feel ashamed about where DAD is concerned. They aimed high and mostly succeed. However, lessons were learned, all moved on to bigger and better things.

Also, it was the highest grossing Bond film of all time...so they didn't mess up there. But yeah, it needed to go back to basics. I'm glad the sword fight, car chase and hovercraft chase was real.

#7 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:48 PM

I have at one time or another fired every vitriolic load I could at DAD, but I'm going to respond to this one in a more positive tone, as there are some things about it that I can enjoy. I thought the hovercraft chase was pretty decent, and I actually thought "Saved by the bell" was clever. I liked the idea of MI6 having a private Underground station. If you're as old as I am, you've seen plenty of sword fights in films and TV, but the one in DAD was all right. I could easily have fallen in love with Rosamund Pike had she been given a better role. I liked Brosnan's fluid moves during the "video game" sequence, but not the notion that there was a holographic practice range. During the car battle on the glacier, I was impressed by Bond using the ejector seat to flip the Aston Martin over as Zao's missile flashed past.

So, there are a half-dozen or so positive comments about Die Another Day. I'm surprised I found that many, but I'm glad I did.

#8 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 11:27 PM

My 21-year old son visited recently and we settled down to watch a movie of his choice. Out of my entire DVD collection he chose DAD. When I asked him why he chose that one, he said "Because it's good."

"Ah," I replied, "So you're the other one!"

Actually, I'd taken him to the premiere and he remembered the excitement of seeing it in a stadium-seating theatre.

We heckled a bit as we watched it together again, but we still enjoyed it as much as we had the first time.

Sorry to say. Major T, that as impressive as using the ejector seat appeared upon the first viewing, it just doesn't make any sense. Firing the seat at the ice rushing by under the car would only cause it to bounce around inside the cabin, seriously injuring Bond and getting in the way. The confined blast alone should have been enough to make his ears bleed. That takes me out of the moment more that the car's appearing invisible ever did.

But, as with everything else that the flamers bleat about, I'm willing to overlook this gaff. I thorougly enjoyed this entry for its courage to throw us a few new curves (as indicated right from the start by the bullet added to the gunbarrel logo): Bond being captured, abused and kept dishevelled (a scene that lasted no longer than it should have); the nostalgic nods to props and other elements from the series; the scenes at the Ice Palace; Jinx, Miranda, Colonel Moon/Gustav Graves (my, he does get around) R Q, the supercar duel...in short, I like DAD best of Brosnan's four entries, and it may be my favorite Bond film since Octopussy (there, I said it).

Thanks for starting this thread, iBond, although once the detractors notice it, it may go to hell rather quickly. Perhaps it should be merged with 'For DAD Lovers Only'?

#9 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 12:08 AM

Sorry to say. Major T, that as impressive as using the ejector seat appeared upon the first viewing, it just doesn't make any sense. Firing the seat at the ice rushing by under the car would only cause it to bounce around inside the cabin, seriously injuring Bond and getting in the way. The confined blast alone should have been enough to make his ears bleed. That takes me out of the moment more that the car's appearing invisible ever did.

Actually, I knew that, but here I am, hard-core Fleming fan who cringes at silly Bond moments on film. And I see the car flip over just as the missile flashes past, and I think, "You know, that was cool!"

There's just no figuring out some people. ;)

#10 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 12:39 AM

Thanks for starting this thread, iBond, although once the detractors notice it, it may go to hell rather quickly. Perhaps it should be merged with 'For DAD Lovers Only'?

No problem AMC! And, you are probably right. But at the same time, this is in the Pierce Brosnan section and sofar I have been getting some straight answers to my question, even from non-fans of the film.

#11 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 01:55 AM

I've tried really hard to like it. The first 20 minutes or so are bearable, but Berry's entrance marks a sudden drop in quality. I'm also not a big fan of the music video style editing, I guess sort of like how people lament QoS's breakneck cuts. The slow-mo and zip cuts more than often miss than hit (the fight with Zao in Cuba comes to mind). The script is an absolute disaster, especially where dialogue is concerned. Further as GS stated there's far too much green screen work. It really pulls the viewer out of the film and ultimately gives the film a B-grade science fiction feel. All in all, not a film I feel comfortable watching. I don't think anything short of a full overhaul could have made it any better though. Still, it exists.

#12 Garth007

Garth007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 03:43 AM

I say the film was good all the way up till Jinx entrance in the movie then it all went to hell. Except the car chase. It was pretty good but after it it went to crap again. :( what could of been

#13 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 03:52 AM

Also, it was the highest grossing Bond film of all time.

Only because of inflation (ticket prices being higher). As far as actual box office tickets sold, Thunderball is by far #1 (adjusting for inflation, TB out grossed TDK) with Goldfinger easily in 2nd place

#14 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 04:08 AM

Well, like it or not, many people liked it and enjoyed it at the time and it was popular. Especially with it's large advertising campaign in addition to Ford coming out with the new Thunderbird 007 edition.

#15 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:08 AM

I'm a fan because it's a good contrast. A high class environment with anything but high class behaviour going on inside it. The betting aspect is pure Bond as well, evoking Octopussy. I've always loved that brave and defiant side of the character. Backed up against the wall after losing twice, and then bringing the diamonds into it. Going all in with his everything or nothing philosophy. It mocks the villain and gives a false sense of security. Because Graves is clouded with rage and thinks the battle will be simple.

#16 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:13 AM

I like that they used it to drain the well dry of all the nonsense before starting again.

#17 WhatMeWorry?

WhatMeWorry?

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 95 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:29 AM

Wow, it is really nice to actually read some positive comments regarding DAD.

Hmmmm... maybe Craig fans do have souls...

#18 jamie00007

jamie00007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 03:35 PM

Only Craig fans dislike DAD? I hated it long before Craig was ever announced as Bond...

Anyway, I like the scenes with the Chinese agent in the Hong Kong hotel and all the scenes in Cuba except the ones that have Jinx in them. Thats about it.

#19 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 05:20 PM

I have to confess to a soft spot for the fencing scenes at Blades. It reeks of such a nicely restrained contempt, such a very civilised way of hating the other's guts and trying to carve them from the carcase. That one was a nice idea (forget about the dialogue, the Madonna, the lack of logic and so on).

#20 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 06:37 PM

I have no shame, though perhaps a little sadness, in saying it's my favourite Brosnan Bond. Like all of them there are bits that work and bits that really, really don't but unlike all of them it's always fun. Some kind of fun anyway

#21 Capsule in Space

Capsule in Space

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 228 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 06:53 PM

I have no shame, though perhaps a little sadness, in saying it's my favourite Brosnan Bond. Like all of them there are bits that work and bits that really, really don't but unlike all of them it's always fun. Some kind of fun anyway

Have no shame Safari Suit. Don't be sad either. It was Brosnan's Moonraker, and both films have their merits. I only regret that Brosnan didn't get a chance to follow up with a more serious film like Moore did with For Your Eyes Only. It would have been Brosnan's best film.

My favorite aspect of the film is the plot. It can be argued that it was poorly executed, but I wish to stay positive here. I think involving North Korea was a great idea, and the villain's plan of destroying the DMZ is a high stakes threat for Bond to tackle. That aspect of the film was exciting and fun to watch.

#22 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 06:58 PM

It could perhaps be argued that Brosnan had his FYEO before his MR. Albeit not in the Bond series but in The Tailor of Panama.

#23 Binyamin

Binyamin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:08 PM

Bond escaping into Hong Kong harbor. The music. The walk into the hotel. "My usual suite, please." That was pure Bond.

The cigar factory in Cuba. "I'd come to think the Delectados would never be smoked." Classic cool.

In the scenes where Die Another Day stuck to its classic roots, it felt very retro Bond. If only the entire movie had been made that way...

Edited by Binyamin, 22 March 2011 - 07:15 PM.

#24 Goodnight

Goodnight

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:30 PM

Okay, to go a little further, did you like the dialogue as well in that scene?

I liked some of the lines in that scene, but some others not so much. I won't bore everyone to death with which lines I liked and which I didn't. ;)

The reason why I like the sword fight so much is because it is so raw, it's not just Bond sat around pushing buttons etc. Don't get me wrong I love gadgets, but for me personally, nothing is more exhilarating to watch than raw combat. :)

I also agree with Gravity's Silhouette, I really like Toby Stephens, I love how Graves is so cocky and arrogant. :)

I also love Miranda Frost, but so damn gorgeous...it's just unfair. :(

#25 jamie00007

jamie00007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:02 AM

The thing I just never really liked about the fencing scene is, why does Bond take it so personally? Graves has reason to be emotionally invested, he knows who Bond is and has reason to hate him. But Graves is nobody to Bond. So why does he look so angry throughout it, like Graves just killed his dog? It was however a pretty well choreographed scene.

#26 SamuelKevlar

SamuelKevlar

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:45 AM

As others have said, bright points are Rosamund Pike as Miranda Frost, Toby Stephens as Gustav Graves, and the 'cockfight' in Blades. I also confess a certain affection for Rick Yune as Zao; we hadn't had a henchman with a bizarre physical defect in a while. Still, with a plot so concerned with plastic surgery, it would be odd that they'd never get around to taking those diamonds out of his skin - seems a little more high-priority than a German accent.

#27 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:04 AM

The first half of the movie is good. The hovercraft chase is still one of my go to pieces when I want to demo the home theater audio for someone. I enjoyed seeing Q's lab & all the gadgets & things from the prior movies. I got a laugh when Q hands Bond his new watch & says, "I believe it's your twentieth."

The marketing campaign was very good. I liked how the ice theme carried through everything. Bollinger & Finlandia had ads with their respective bottles in a frozen ice block similar to the teaser poster, the ice gun in the teaser trailer that the Aston "shoots" out of, & the ending of the teaser & trailer had more ice (the frozen breath from the woman & the giant ice block breaking apart with the movie logo spinning around also made out of ice).

From a social aspect, it's the first Bond movie that was out after the inception of CBn. It's also the first Bond movie that was out when high speed internet connections were coming into widespread use so you could download high quality trailers versus those postage stamp sized trailers I got for TWINE with my dial-up connection. :D

#28 Vanish

Vanish

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 236 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 02:03 AM

It's not quite my least favorite entry, but it's near the bottom. That said, there are still a few things I like about it.

1. The opening sequence is great, and really, the first 1/3rd of the movie is pretty good stuff. Tonally, it's a lot of nonsensical fun.

2. Pierce Brosnan himself is having fun in the role, which is nice to see. It's a breezy, effortless performance, and it works.

3. Miranda Frost. A missed opportunity, but she's great while she's around.

#29 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 02:59 AM

When I first saw DAD I was thinking how perfect Rosamund Pike would have been as Emma Peel in The Avengers movie (if they made it a few years later than they did)- far better then Uma Thurman

#30 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:02 AM

I notice she's had her teeth straightened now.