225 replies to this topic

#61 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 10:17 AM

Started re-reading Nobody Lives Forever last night.

I so love these books. I enjoyed them as new Bond adventures back in the day, but now they have the extra punch of being '80s nostalgia, and also hugely nostalgic for me personally. I can remember when and where I got every book, and exactly where I was in my life at that time. They deliver for me on so many levels now. Wonderful things, these books. :)

Hmmm, well, there is *something* to be said for the nostalgia factor. I wonder if the new crop of Bond fans will look at the Gardner offerings the same way I (and maybe you) looked at the Fleming novels (as time-period curiosities). Because I lived through the 80's the period doesn't feel as remote or foreign to me as, perhaps, the 50's and the 60's do (I wasn't alive in either decade), so my perspective on Gardner's novels is definitely different. Bond's world in Gardner's novels is also much different than the world Bond live in during the 50's; seems like, for the most part, the women in Gardner's novels are much more integral to the plots and on equal footing than a lot of the Fleming Bond Girls. Clearly modern feminism had worked its way into Gardner's novels (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

You know, it's really great you have those memories of the books that you can hold on to. The new generation of Bond fans will never have that; never, ever, ever. They'll never know the thrill of being 12 or 13 years old and coming home from prep school and finding a copy of 007 Magazine or Bondage in your mail. They'll never know how it feels to hold a freshly printed, signed copy of a new Bond thriller (Raymond kindly sent me a signed copy of THE FACTS OF DEATH before a major surgery I had back in 1998), or rummage through a musky, used book store looking for older, hard-to-find copies of the novels. The kids these days will (if they bother at all to read 007) download all the novels onto their E-reader or Kindle (not that there's anything wrong with that). :(

Agree with the sentiments of both of you 100%, gentlemen. :tup: :tup: :tup:

#62 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 06:41 PM

Looks like the first five Gardner books are also being released as eBooks.

http://www.thebookbo...ting-ebook.html

#63 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 08:10 PM

Agree with the sentiments of both of you 100%, gentlemen. :tup: :tup: :tup:

Looks like the first five Gardner books are also being released as eBooks.

http://www.thebookbo...ting-ebook.html

Continuing the conversation from yesterday....how will the new technology affect the way people collect Bond novels? BORDERS has gone out of business where I live; I like to check out used book stores whenever I'm in a new city, hoping to come across a unique, rare, limited-edition print of Bond or other favorite subjects. But with Kindles and E-Readers, it seems like the younger fans won't start up the art of collecting old books, magazines, etc...simply because it's all downloadable. Am I missing something?

Used to trawl York's book stores for Flemings: most are now closed down. But who'd pay for a shop premises these days if you could run a business by mail order?

That said, I got most of my Fleming firsts at a few quid a time from a guy called Iain Campell in Liverpool, one after the other as I saved up; he did mail order - but he had a shop too.

Don't think that many are bothered about old books now, if only because the access of the internet allied with the rebirth and reassessment of Fleming has made them so accessible - if you can afford the price, of course: if you can't, you yearn for the reprints with their hideous covers, and are happy with them.

#64 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 09:35 PM

That said, I got most of my Fleming firsts at a few quid a time from a guy called Iain Campell in Liverpool, one after the other as I saved up; he did mail order - but he had a shop too.

Oh, that's cool. I have his Ian Fleming Catalogue of a Collection. I also think my OHMSS special might have come from his collection.

#65 solace

solace

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 284 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 09:54 PM

Oh, that's cool. I have his Ian Fleming Catalogue of a Collection. I also think my OHMSS special might have come from his collection.

I'll have to look this guy's shop up as I dont live too far from liverpool and pay it a visit if its still their.

#66 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 06:48 AM

Yeah, that's where I got on to him from. Tracked him down from his book. Imagine how thrilled and in awe I was as a 14/15 year old speaking to him and having him help me put my collection of firsts together. I'd buy one book and a note or call would follow when he got something else that fitted my budget.

I'll have to look this guy's shop up as I dont live too far from liverpool and pay it a visit if its still their.

Don't know if he's still about bookselling. Last I heard he had closed the shop and was selling a bit of stuff from home in semi-retirement.

We are talking about a period from around 1979 to 1982/83; a long, long time ago. :o :o :o

#67 DouglasJ

DouglasJ

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 69 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 12:04 PM

Continuing the conversation from yesterday....how will the new technology affect the way people collect Bond novels? BORDERS has gone out of business where I live; I like to check out used book stores whenever I'm in a new city, hoping to come across a unique, rare, limited-edition print of Bond or other favorite subjects. But with Kindles and E-Readers, it seems like the younger fans won't start up the art of collecting old books, magazines, etc...simply because it's all downloadable. Am I missing something?

Personally, I have my collection of Bond paperbacks and I'll keep collecting new books in paperback as they are released. I now read almost exclusively from the Kindle, as I don't have to worry about damaging my books. But I will still always buy the physical book. I just can't get out of that habit.

#68 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:32 PM

Fantastic news!
John Gardner's James Bond 007 is back! :D

#69 Simg

Simg

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 83 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 12:07 PM

Was Dallas big in Ireland? Isn't that where JG lived at the time?

I think he just wanted to do a USA set book and Texas seemed like a good choice. Not hard to believe it would be home to a megalomaniac. :P

He lived in Ireland (as I did for a time) but never heard of a Dallas in Eire

SRJG

#70 Simg

Simg

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 83 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 12:16 PM

Sorry it has taken a while for me to get to look at the comments made in this thread regarding the re-releases
which I truly believe would not have happened without all your support.

Firstly 'The US Jackets' I am not allowed to comment on these, but what I will say is that they are better than the original
first submission. The treatment is the same as Raymond's from Pegasus Books and I am told that marketing and booksellers
around the US loved them. Quote me as 'No Comment'

Is there generally an interest in US hardback editions?

Keep checking with www.john-gardner.com for more information as it comes.
Sometimes however you guys get the information before I do.

Once again thanks for the support form all of the family, it means a lot to us.

Simon R J Gardner

#71 clublos

clublos

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 315 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 01:36 PM

Sorry it has taken a while for me to get to look at the comments made in this thread regarding the re-releases
which I truly believe would not have happened without all your support.

Firstly 'The US Jackets' I am not allowed to comment on these, but what I will say is that they are better than the original
first submission. The treatment is the same as Raymond's from Pegasus Books and I am told that marketing and booksellers
around the US loved them. Quote me as 'No Comment'

Is there generally an interest in US hardback editions?

Keep checking with www.john-gardner.com for more information as it comes.
Sometimes however you guys get the information before I do.

Simon R J Gardner

Wow. Thanks for your candid information. I would love to see hardbacks in the U.S. and I appreciate all that your family has done to get these novels published again.

If there's anything we can do to spread the word, I hope you'll let us know.

#72 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 01:44 PM

Simon R J Gardner

Thanks a lot to your father for presenting us fans with many hours of Bond, keeping him alive and kicking!

#73 Simg

Simg

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 83 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:49 AM

Well, as has been said by myself and others, we'll be buying the re-releases because we demanded them, even though some of us have a problem with the covers. However, I'm hopeful that the feedback the publishers are getting might encourage them to tweak the covers a little bit, or at least tweak the covers that haven't been released to the public yet (I think everything past Icebreaker, unless I'm wrong, has not been "leaked").
[/quote] Gravity's Silhouette

I myself have not seen the fully finished US jackets with completed typography, and like all of you only the first 3 jackets have been given an airing, and then as stated
not in their totally finished form. As a graphic designer myself, with over 30 years experience (and a lot of that in publishing) changes can and are often made at the last minute.
I know that there is an issue with fans regarding the treatments, and I am working on how is the best way to make 'the decision makers' aware of fans thoughts without upsetting any
individual, or individuals or publishing companies if you get my drift. To be honest I am so pleased that we are re-publishing on both sides of the Atlantic that I have had to take a grin and bare it attitude to the US artwork.

Again thank you all for your support

Simon R J Gardner

#74 Simg

Simg

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 83 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:56 AM

Was Dallas big in Ireland? Isn't that where JG lived at the time?

I think he just wanted to do a USA set book and Texas seemed like a good choice. Not hard to believe it would be home to a megalomaniac. :P

He lived in Ireland (as I did for a time) but never heard of a Dallas in Eire

SRJG

Sorry Zencat misread your post, and yes Dallas was big everywhere including Ireland, and no JG was not a fan

SRJG

#75 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:35 AM

I hear ya, the covers are ugly, but we screamed and moaned to get them so I'll buy them as is my duty at this point. if they had good covers that were evocative of the story then I could see an Ice Castle and a bit of car chase on the cover and that would look cool.

#76 Simg

Simg

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 83 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 11:59 AM

We now have a press release with full details regarding the UK re-issues this can be seen at http://www.john-gardner.com/ http://www.coombsmoylett.com/news http://www.orionbooks.co.uk/
http://www.ianflemin....asp?NewsID=142

As yet I do not have any more official news on release dates for US re-prints or the final cover artwork for these editions from Pegasus. As soon as I get an update it will be posted at
http://www.john-gardner.com/ then cascaded down with appropriate links.

Simon Richard John Gardner

#77 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 03:00 PM

Final artwork? You mean those Pegasus covers might change? :)

#78 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 06:47 PM

Excellent, thanks Simon!

#79 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 07:10 PM

More great news. Now all we need are new covers and a forum over at JG's site.

#80 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 04:29 PM

A little audiobook news as we countdown to Thursday.

http://www.thebookbo...rdner-bond.html

#81 Jump James

Jump James

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:54 PM

Thats fantastic news! Whats going on Thursady?

#82 clublos

clublos

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 315 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:51 PM

Nice.

#83 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:58 PM

First three reprints in hardcover are released.

#84 Jump James

Jump James

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:28 PM

Ah yes, of course. I read wrong and thought you had a big Gardner announcement on Thursday. I have them in original firsts but it will be tremendous to see John Gardner back on the bookshelves. Although I did pick up his Moriarty book in a fresh paperback the other day also! Keep them coming Splendid stuff and a good Thriller writer!

#85 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 03:49 PM

First three books released TODAY. :)

#86 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:07 PM

Do the UK editions have the forewords?

#87 clublos

clublos

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 315 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:09 PM

Hey zen do you have a list of online retailers that are selling the novels? I remember you provided a list for Carte Blanche that was very helpful in tracking down the limited editions. Amazon says it's a 4-7 day wait to ship, so I was wondering about alternatives.

Thanks!

#88 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:09 PM

is it available in the US? cuz I was at the bookstore earlier and I totally didnt see those.

Edited by OmarB, 23 June 2011 - 10:09 PM.

#89 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:29 AM

is it available in the US? cuz I was at the bookstore earlier and I totally didnt see those.

No. They come out in the US on October 12, 2011 and they will not have the UK covers. Our covers are in the same style as the recent Benson omnibuses.

#90 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:22 PM

Hey zen do you have a list of online retailers that are selling the novels? I remember you provided a list for Carte Blanche that was very helpful in tracking down the limited editions. Amazon says it's a 4-7 day wait to ship, so I was wondering about alternatives.

Thanks!

Sorry, I don't have a list for these.