69 replies to this topic

#61 00 Brosnan

00 Brosnan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:35 AM

I think Connery is slightly overrated. It's simple fact that the first of something is always given extra praise even if it's not intentional based solely on the fact that it was the original or the first to adapt in a certain way.

For example, the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Final Fantasy VII are the most popular and well known games in both their long running, highly acclaimed, and highly respected franchises. They are both wonderful games, but both are overrated simply because they are remembered more fondly by people because they were the first 3D games in their respective series.

That said, I'm in no way taking anything away from Connery. His Bond was cool, tough, and stylish. Minus, DAF I think he had the overall best tenure as Bond. DN, FRWL, GF, TB, and YOLT are all top notch.

#62 I never miss

I never miss

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 316 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 03:02 PM

Overrated? No! In my humble opinion the man is responsible for the greatest portrayal of an alpha-male in cinematic history. I am referring of course to his performance as James Bond in Thunderball. Simply perfection and a joy to watch.

#63 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 03:17 PM

I think Connery is slightly overrated. It's simple fact that the first of something is always given extra praise even if it's not intentional based solely on the fact that it was the original or the first to adapt in a certain way.

I don't think Connery's praise is mainly because he was the first (actually Barry Nelson was the first) but because of him. There are only a small handful of movie stars in the world that have the charisma that Connery did. He is the only actor to play Bond that will really ever be considered a legend in the ranks of Clark Gable, Cary Grant, Errol Flynn, Clint Eastwood, Paul Newman, Harrison Ford etc.

Connery is the perfect example of "the man men want to be and women want to be with"

Like the song says "You walk in a room, a woman can feel the heat"

#64 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 03:53 PM

Let me put it this way, regardless of the flaws in NSNA, you can't fault the obvious effort he put in to get back into shape, and he is the reason I saw that film. My personal hope is to be in as good shape when I'm that age.

#65 00 Brosnan

00 Brosnan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 01:05 AM

I don't think Connery's praise is mainly because he was the first (actually Barry Nelson was the first) but because of him. Connery is the perfect example of "the man men want to be and women want to be with"

I actually agree with both of your statements. I didn't mean Connery is held so highly as Bond mainly because he was the first (in the official series).

As I said, he's cool, tough, and stylish and minus DAF which is the biggest cheese-fest in the series, he had the best overall run as Bond.

But, in many cases the original or the first of something or to be shown in a certain way is "unknowingly" or "without thought" given extra praise simply because of that. I tend to think that plays a part for some people in this series like it does many others.

Edited by 00 Brosnan, 11 May 2011 - 01:07 AM.

#66 Donovan Mayne-Nicholls

Donovan Mayne-Nicholls

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 381 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 02:24 AM

I don't think Connery's praise is mainly because he was the first (actually Barry Nelson was the first) but because of him. There are only a small handful of movie stars in the world that have the charisma that Connery did. He is the only actor to play Bond that will really ever be considered a legend in the ranks of Clark Gable, Cary Grant, Errol Flynn, Clint Eastwood, Paul Newman, Harrison Ford etc.

Connery is the perfect example of "the man men want to be and women want to be with"

Like the song says "You walk in a room, a woman can feel the heat"

Sorry but the character Mr Nelson plays in that teleplay IS NOT James Bond.

#67 Chicago103

Chicago103

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 90 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 12:03 PM

Roger Moore is my favorite James Bond and I also prefer Pierce Brosnan and Daniel Craig over Sean Connery as well. I like all Bond actors and I would lump Sean Connery, George Lazenby (he was in my #1 Bond film OHMSS), and Timothy Dalton as being equal in terms of performance as Bond. I know it is sacrilege to say that Sean Connery is not better than any Bond but that is how I feel. That is not to say I don't like Sean Connery as James Bond because I do and in fact I think he was great in Doctor No, From Russia With Love and Goldfinger and certainly deserves the credit for establishing the cinematic Bond but to me he has never been the end all be all, not him nor his movies. So yes I do feel that Sean Connery is overrated, as James Bond anyways, certainly he is the best actor of non-Bond roles of all the Bond actors and I almost like some of his non-Bond roles better such as Henry Jones Sr. in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade or his role in the Untouchables. It does irk me when I hear people say "there will never be another Sean Connery" when referring to James Bond, not because I can't respect a difference of opinion but rather I feel that such a statement has become a self-fulfilling prophecy to many, people are told Connery is the best and thus they believe it and don't look at all the James Bond films and actors objectively as a result IMO.

#68 Emma

Emma

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 02:16 AM

As far as I am concerned? Yes Connery is overated. I came to Bond via Roger Moore so to me Bond is supposed to be smooth, charming and likeable. Connery as Bond was a borderline sleazy pig who just seemed to win at everything effortlessly. And while I maintain that Brosnan is my favourite Bond. I will admit that Dalton’s Bond is closest to the books. Not Connery. He just seemed to be a stand in for heterosexual males so they could live vicariously through him. He didn’t strike me as a real person. My favourite Connery Bond film is ‘Thunderball’ and I only like that because of the three women who are featured.

#69 Lachesis

Lachesis

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 394 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 01:34 PM

It saddens me greatly to see people deploying the argument "my favourite Bond is XXX therefore anyone else is potentially overated", as ever internet discussions are cheapened by the perverse 'best evar' 'worse evar' mentality whereby we consider our opinion is reasoned well enough to be more than opinion but rather some form of absolute truth - something which can NEVER be.

At the end of the day you can have your favourites and ideas of who captures the perfect Bond, but what each actor brings is written into history and needs to be judged against the requirements and mood of the time. Connery was there first, in Kirk's words 'he went where no one went before' and the Bond film franchise likewise went where no franchise went before (and many attemptged to emulate and capture this magic but failed), he therefore became a yardstick and that fans big and small still refer to that yardstick is proof imo enough of its validity. It's doesn't make him the automatic 'best' but it really doesn't have to and such considerations are in any event ego fueled flights over the ultimate event horizon.

It is because the foundation was so solid that we still have an active presence today so any retrospectve form of re-evaluation needs to dismiss the concept of best or worse and look to the physical contribution offered while appreciating the fact we actually have anything to cherise at all, though tbh I don't believe any of us are genuinely capable of assessing that objectively/fairly and the entire discussion, much like the 'is Brosnan a good actor' thread (and others I may have missed in that vein), feels more than vaguely concieted and inappropriate imho.

#70 double o ego

double o ego

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 03:05 PM

someone posted that they thought Connery did very little in the role of Bond. I'd just like to say I find that comment to be completely absurd. The level of contribution Connery put in to making Bond a cinematic icon should be acknowledged and for good reason.

Is Connery overrated?? Hell no. He was just that damn good at being James Bond, why should he be victimized as being overrated for doing an excellent job? People can say what they like about his performances and his movies but I for one can take his performances of the first four Bond movies and with conviction declare it to be a superior body of work more so than the contribution of the actors that followed him.

The 1960s was when Bond was arguably at his best and in some cases people remember that and people subconsciously long for that long lost element of cool, excitement and atmosphere that came together so nicely.