69 replies to this topic

#31 Fiona Volpe lover

Fiona Volpe lover

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 347 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:03 PM

Overrated? I would say no. Yes he was the first, so there would obviously be alot of praise for that very reason, but in my opinion he set the standard for all who follow. The moment he introduced himself at that table in Dr No, he WAS Bond for me. However good Daniel Craig might be, he'll never match Connery in my eyes.

#32 Kreivi von Glödä

Kreivi von Glödä

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:40 PM

Is Connery overrated? Absolutely not! Even at his worst (DAF, NSNA) he is head and shoulders above all the other Bonds, perhaps Craig excluded. His presence and natural charisma makes a even schizophrenic campfest like DAF extremely watchable which cannot be said of Moore or Brosnan. He was the first and still he is the best.

#33 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 12:48 PM

Even though the word "Overrated" appears everywhere on the internet, I'm not sure what it even means. It could imply that the praise someone has received is unwarranted. In Connery's case, that is definitely not true; he's the best and most powerful cinematic presence to ever play James Bond. Another take on what "overrated" implies is "Hey, I don't like this popular and highly-praised performer, does anyone agree with me?

There are many actors, artists, musicians, etc. that I don't particularly like, but I can understand what admirers of those people enjoy about their work. It doesn't make these performers "overrated", it just means that I don't care for their style. Having a dissenting opinion doesn't mean Connery hasn't earned his accolades; he has, but it doesn't mean everyone has to like him, either.

#34 Stephen Spotswood

Stephen Spotswood

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 06:28 PM

NEIN

Dummkopfs!!!

#35 Agent Sidewinder

Agent Sidewinder

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 48 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 01:25 AM

Overrated? Only by those who say he's the "first, best and only James Bond, end of story and screw the rest". However, I can't say I've seen this particular opinion voiced that often on the Bond sites I hang out on....it's more common among general filmgoers.

So to conclude....no.

#36 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 04:47 AM

NEIN

Dummkopfs!!!

Agreed 100%. ;)

Although I love Roggie Baby, I always usually shove in my DVD player a Seanny Baby. However. I have grown (even at the tender age of 50) to admire Danielle Baby's performance. I would say he's the direct descendant to Connery's Bond, and the rest are like his cousins.

Hope I've managed to make some sense. :S I am now 50 ya know. :D

Cheers,

Ian (Mrs)

#37 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:19 PM

I'm a particular fan of young Timothy but, speaking as someone who can spot you a good few years, I nevertheless think you speak with a wisdom that belies your tender age.

Edited by Major Tallon, 27 February 2011 - 06:21 PM.

#38 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 03:48 AM

I'm a particular fan of young Timothy but, speaking as someone who can spot you a good few years, I nevertheless think you speak with a wisdom that belies your tender age.

Thank you, kind sir. :)

#39 jrcjohnny99

jrcjohnny99

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 06:28 AM

Overrated?
Certainly not in his first 3 films, where you could def make a case for him as the best Bond ever...
but his last 4 (inc NSNA) all show a decline in his performances; based on those 4 he's one of the weakest Bonds.

#40 Diabolik

Diabolik

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 235 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:14 PM

As far as I'm concerned, Connery is still THE MAN. While I've enjoyed the other actors who portrayed Bond, Sean is the original and still best. (To me it's like if they cast another Indy Jones -- I may like the actor's performance, but Harrison Ford is still the best).

Looking at past similar forums, it seems like a 007 fan's favorite Bond is the one they grew up with. For a guy like me who grew up in the 60s, Connery is the favorite.

I do think Craig is the runner-up -- not only because he shares the same ruthless, yet charming traits of Connery, but Dan actually seems to "channel" Connery somethimes (like in the Bahamas card game in C.R. where he wins the Aston-Martim).

Edited by Diabolik, 28 February 2011 - 08:14 PM.

#41 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 03:27 PM

Sean isn't overrated. He's the archtypical Bond that every other actor assigned to the role either studied or tried to live up to. Sir Connery and Bond were almost made for each other like a hand in glove.

#42 cpt. sir dominic flandry

cpt. sir dominic flandry

Cadet

• Crew
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 10:49 PM

He is the iconic Bond,

#43 Virgosy

Virgosy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:14 PM

I think Sean is a little overrated. Except "From Russia with love", the others movies did not let him have the opportunity to express himself fully and vary a bit his game, because I think that, except both "Dr No" and "From Russia with love", in all others films, he's very linear.

#44 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 12 March 2011 - 04:40 AM

Slightly over rated and not as good an actor as he is made out to be.

That does not necessarily mean he is not enjoyable to watch.

#45 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 07:42 PM

The unsurpassed is impossible to over rate.

#46 Jump James

Jump James

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 07:58 PM

I'm going to assume the unspoken end to your question is, "...as James Bond" (since his overall record as an actor is spotty, IMHO, and I'm not qualified to rate him as, say, a golfer). And even then, it's a tricky question.

I certainly think Connery is great as Bond and for the most part I felt like he gave it his all. So in that sense, no he's not overrated.

However, the question of whether he's ideal as Bond, or unequaled as Bond is something else again. None of the Bonds has been a literal embodiment of Fleming's Bond for me, Sean included. I like Moore and Craig just as much -- for very different reasons -- and Dalton nearly so. And it's absolutely true that small-minded critics have built him up to be some kind of god in the role, which ironically works against him in the long run. It makes it almost impossible to relax and enjoy what he does if you go in thinking, "Okay, Sean. Prove you're really so all-fired better than insert name here."

So if you're asking whether Connery is really as great in the role as he's made out to be, yes he pretty much is. But if you're asking whether he's so great that no one else even comes close, no I don't think so. It's possible to greatly enjoy Sean's take on Bond without putting down the other actors. The real problem, as far as being "over-rated," comes from fans and critics who insist on praising him in terms that involve putting down everyone else.

Indeed, saying "he's better than so-and-so" is what I'd call "faint praise." I mean when you want to praise a great meal you've enjoyed in a restaurant, do you say, "This meal was exquisite" or do you say, "Well, it's better than the meal I had at the place across the street"?

Pretty much agree with David M on this topic. Very well said.

#47 AViewToAPussy

AViewToAPussy

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 03:32 PM

I appreciate that Sean was the first but that doesn't automatically make hin the best. Definitely overrated.

#48 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:19 AM

Sean Connery is the James Bond everyone knows, even if they aren't fans of 007. He is the stereotype of Bond and the one everyone compares to. So, in a way, he's like the marker.

Edited by iBond, 01 May 2011 - 07:32 AM.

#49 MarkD

MarkD

Cadet

• Crew
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 01:48 PM

I've been watching them all in order (currently half way through Brosnan), and what was interesting was my anticipation of seeing him first appear in DN. The movie sets the tone, and Connery the character, even though he hasn't quite got into the role. There's immediately confidence, charm, charisma and self-assuredness.

The following two firmly establish Connery (and his relationships with Moneypenny, M and Q), but Thunderball and YOLT got too big, so you can see why he wanted to leave - less about the characters and more about the spectacle. I didn't expect to enjoy DAF, but I enjoyed for the same reasons as Connery did (except for the money) - a bit of fun not to be taken seriously. He looks more relaxed.

NSNA, having been through 6 Moores, was a huge relief. He's back, with the charisma that Moore never had, delivering the one-liners like Moore was rarely able to. A shame, though, that the film itself disappointed.

In answer, he is only over-rated to the extent that he is like so many other things that come first which all others will be compared to.

#50 Mr. Arlington Beech

Mr. Arlington Beech

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1112 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 09:03 PM

Sean Connery is such an incredible actor. He has a lot of vulnerability and nuance for such a rugged and visually striking alpha-male. His acting is full of so many touches: eye-rolling, the dead eyed stare, puckering of his lips, change of voice inflection and impeccable comic timing. I think he's actually a better actor than Daniel Craig. Daniel has proven himself as a great "character actor", but Sean is a great "personality actor".

I don't believe in "personality actors", an actor is great when he's really versatile, not when he's only acting over his personality (hence only performing one type of role). Anyway, I think Connery is good for the Bond role and a decent actor, bot not so great- and perfect- as many would think.

In answer to your question: Yes, a little.

#51 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 09:14 PM

I don't believe in "personality actors", an actor is great when he's really versatile, not when he's only acting over his personality (hence only performing one type of role). Anyway, I think Connery is good for the Bond role and a decent actor, bot not so great- and perfect- as many would think.

Sean Connery has done many good movies where he is basically playing...Sean Connery, that is how the world thinks of him and those are his most popular roles. However to his credit there are some roles where he has played away from type and has turned in some brilliant performances. He is a far better versatile actor than most people give him credit for.

#52 Mr. Arlington Beech

Mr. Arlington Beech

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1112 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:21 PM

Sean Connery has done many good movies where he is basically playing...Sean Connery, that is how the world thinks of him and those are his most popular roles. However to his credit there are some roles where he has played away from type and has turned in some brilliant performances. He is a far better versatile actor than most people give him credit for.

Well, perhaps.

But- unlike the opening poster-, I think Daniel Craig is the best actor who has played Bond, because he's the more versatile.

Edited by Mr. Arlington Beech, 05 May 2011 - 10:22 PM.

#53 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:42 PM

I think Daniel Craig is the best actor who has played Bond, because he's the more versatile.

Actually I agree with you. In some of his pre-Bond films, it is difficult to tell that it is the same person because he seems so different. I think that is one reason so many people were against him as Bond because so many of his roles have been very un-Bondish.

#54 Capsule in Space

Capsule in Space

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 228 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:57 PM

:o Jaguar, I agree with every word in this statement!

I'll add to it by saying that when actors like Sean Connery and Roger Moore become superstars, producers end up casting them so "Sean will be Sean" and "Roger will be Roger". That's what the producers want, and that's what the audience expects, in a sense. I think superstardom kind of puts restraints on actors, but that's the trade-off for receiving huge paydays.

This happens to a lot of huge stars. Jack Nicholson, Christopher Walken, and Robert DeNiro come to mind (especially their comedic films).

#55 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 11:00 PM

:o Jaguar, I agree with every word in this statement!

I think I just saw a pig fly past my window ;)

#56 Donovan Mayne-Nicholls

Donovan Mayne-Nicholls

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 381 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 06:23 PM

Had any other actor played Bond in Dr No, we'd have probably had a few cheap films, the series would have died by the 70's and this fansite would be updated once a year at most. I can't think of a single more inspired casting choice in the history of cinema. Connery isn't just a striking screen presence but a remarkable actor. He was cast against what was costumary at the time both in Britain and the States, against what the studio wanted. Cubby's notion of asking his wife for a female opinion was absolutely brilliant.
Growing up in the 80's, I observed a lot of respect towards "classic films" from fellow teenagers, regardless of whether they were film buffs or not. Nowadays, you get a feeling of teens disregarding anything over ten years old. I am myself against worshipping sacred cows just because they are but find very little to be commended about contemporary arts. At the end of term, I usually offer my students the chance of watching a film in class (I teach English) and on one such occasion a female student eagerly asked me to show The Fast and the Furious. Even without being critical of the actual choice of said student, what puzzled me most is that the student clearly had already seen the film and would rather see it again than watching something new (or old). People only like watching "new" films not because they're new and exciting, just because they're being advertised everywhere and they've been told to like them (James Cameron has made a career out of that!). I've never understood why people are so willing to download a film which is showing in cinemas when in 12 months you'll get it on heavy rotation on basic cable.

#57 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 09:38 PM

Had any other actor played Bond in Dr No, we'd have probably had a few cheap films, the series would have died by the 70's and this fansite would be updated once a year at most. I can't think of a single more inspired casting choice in the history of cinema. Connery isn't just a striking screen presence but a remarkable actor. He was cast against what was costumary at the time both in Britain and the States, against what the studio wanted. Cubby's notion of asking his wife for a female opinion was absolutely brilliant.

Very well said. EON could have gotten an actor closer to the Bond of the books and made a few successful small British films that would not have received much attention in the US. Connery was the type of actor who appealed to the US market where had actors like McGoohan, Johnson or even Moore would have struggled.

An interviewer once asked Terrance Young what the three biggest aspects that made the Bond movies so successful were. His response was Sean Connery, Sean Connery and Sean Connery.

#58 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 05:37 AM

but also slap women on the [censored] and practically get a "thank you" each time.

I do know many younger women who would say "thank you" if even an 80 year old Sean Connery slapped them on the butt.

I probably would. :P

I don't care if he is Sean Connery. If he had slapped my [censored], I'd hire someone to castrate him. Or do the job myself.

#59 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 10:46 AM

I don't think that punishment quite fits the crime...

#60 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 06:42 PM

Charming woman.