30 replies to this topic

#1 Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:24 PM

I just checked Fandango and on September 2 at the Aero Theatre in Santa Monica they'll be showing Roger Moore's first two James Bond movies at 7:30, possibly in honor of the passing of Tom Mankiewicz. Info here.

Neil

#2 jrcjohnny99

jrcjohnny99

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 04:32 PM

I just checked Fandango and on September 2 at the Aero Theatre in Santa Monica they'll be showing Roger Moore's first two James Bond movies at 7:30, possibly in honor of the passing of Tom Mankiewicz. Info here.

Neil

This should be outstanding and great for me as TMWTGG is the only Bond film I havent seen on the big screen;
Also, a week or so later (8th) they're showing OHMSS!
Gotta love the Cinematheque!!!

#3 Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 05:06 PM

Also, a week or so later (8th) they're showing OHMSS!

How did I miss that?

I'll go to that (skipping the Moore double feature).

Neil

#4 Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:23 AM

I just saw that George Lazenby will be at the OHMSS screening next month.

Neil

#5 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:46 AM

Yeah, I can't pass this up. I'll be there. If anyone else is up for a pint before or after let me know.

Maybe we can find a bottle of the "Phu Yuck" '74. ;)

Although I'd prefer Goodnight in a nightie or help Solataire with "lesson #3" when I get home. ;)

Also, as to Laz being there for OHMSS, that may be a "must do".

*note to self: "Bring the damn camera you bone-head" *

#6 jrcjohnny99

jrcjohnny99

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 07:18 PM

Yeah, I can't pass this up. I'll be there. If anyone else is up for a pint before or after let me know.

Maybe we can find a bottle of the "Phu Yuck" '74. ;)

Although I'd prefer Goodnight in a nightie or help Solataire with "lesson #3" when I get home. ;)

Also, as to Laz being there for OHMSS, that may be a "must do".

*note to self: "Bring the damn camera you bone-head" *

I will definitely be there tomorrow night; anyone else attending?
Not sure what time i'll get down there, but always happy to say hello!

#7 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 09:48 PM

Just printed out my ticket. Like I said, nice way to roll into a holiday weekend. I'm up for a pint afterwards if anyone is interested and I'm planning on OHMSS w/ George being there next week.

See ya at the movies.

I'm pretty easy to spot, just don't try to sneak up on me...The PPK might just be tagging along. ;)

#8 Brisco

Brisco

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 220 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 12:37 AM

I'm going to try to make it tonight too.

#9 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 05:23 PM

Excellent screen and great prints and sound. Even John Cork was impressed by the quality. Great to see everyone and few for the first time.

jrcjohnny99 and I finally met. Good to meet you sir and thank God we got the YOLT passsword out of the way quickly. :D Next time just ask me if I have a match. ;)

The audience was lively and there was much applause with each of the gunbarrels and some of the classic lines and names during the credits. LALD was about an 80% full house, a bit less for TMWTGG. Hey, only because it was a work/school night for most. It all finished up about midnight. No cars on the road and the marine layer mist moving in. Very appropriate for a few spies talking shop on the sidewalk.

So, Wednesday the 8th we've got OHMSS and the man himself there for it with a panel after. If he doesn't just want to get the Hell out of there afterwards, we might see if we can lure him out for a pint. In the last three weeks I'll have seen both the above and YOLT and OHMSS on the big screen in L.A.

It's helping to fill the void these days. Sure there's always the DVD's and such, but nothing beats the big screen and a good audience.

So, to quote John Landis' running gag, I'll "See you next Wednesday".

Cheers all. Damn good fun. :tup:

#10 juepucta

juepucta

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 06:16 PM

Hey, sorry for the short notice (and not being around here as often as i should) but i thought i'd let you know that the American Cinematheque in Los Angeles is going to show OHMSS next week, the 8th.

Info here http://www.americanc...T_Aero_2010.htm

The blurb (at the link above)

Wednesday, September 8 – 7:30 PM

Co-Presented with the British Academy of Film and Television Arts/Los Angeles

ON HER MAJESTY’S SECRET SERVICE, 1969, MGM/UA, 140 min. Dir. Peter Hunt. Former male model George Lazenby plays Ian Fleming’s superspy in one of the most satisfying (and underrated) of the 1960s Bonds. Lovely Diana Rigg proves more than Bond’s match as the two team up to topple scar-faced Ernst Blofeld (Telly Savalas) who is conducting suspect "allergy research" on beautiful women from around the world. Scripted by 007 veteran Richard Maibaum. Discussion following with actor George Lazenby.

Go to the link above for ticket buying.

I saw Live And Let Die and The Man With The Golden Gun last night as part of the same screening series and while those two are some of my least fave Bond films (from my least favourite Bond) it was fun to see them on the big screen... OHMSS, on the other hand, is my #1 film.

Anyway, thought i'd let you all know.

-G.

#11 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 07:09 PM

Sorry we missed you. A number of us were there last night. I'm going to merge this with the other thread. See you next week. It's certainly a "can't miss" screening. Cheers.

Hey, sorry for the short notice (and not being around here as often as i should) but i thought i'd let you know that the American Cinematheque in Los Angeles is going to show OHMSS next week, the 8th.

Info here http://www.americanc...T_Aero_2010.htm

The blurb (at the link above)

Wednesday, September 8 – 7:30 PM

Co-Presented with the British Academy of Film and Television Arts/Los Angeles

ON HER MAJESTY’S SECRET SERVICE, 1969, MGM/UA, 140 min. Dir. Peter Hunt. Former male model George Lazenby plays Ian Fleming’s superspy in one of the most satisfying (and underrated) of the 1960s Bonds. Lovely Diana Rigg proves more than Bond’s match as the two team up to topple scar-faced Ernst Blofeld (Telly Savalas) who is conducting suspect "allergy research" on beautiful women from around the world. Scripted by 007 veteran Richard Maibaum. Discussion following with actor George Lazenby.

Go to the link above for ticket buying.

I saw Live And Let Die and The Man With The Golden Gun last night as part of the same screening series and while those two are some of my least fave Bond films (from my least favourite Bond) it was fun to see them on the big screen... OHMSS, on the other hand, is my #1 film.

Anyway, thought i'd let you all know.

-G.

MERGED

#12 juepucta

juepucta

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 07:14 PM

I had fun last night. Moore is my least favourite 007 but to see this stuff on the big screen was a treat.

Assuming i make it to OHMSS, how to we recognize each other? Red carnations on the lapel? ;)

Also, thanks to whoever was responsible for the merging of the threads.

-G.

#13 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 07:18 PM

Happy to have helped with the merge.

I'm kind of easy to spot in a crowd. I take the Bond approach of hiding in plain sight. ;) Check my profile pic and drop me a line if you wish.

As the great Bob Simmons once said : "Know your marks and hit your lines." ;)

Looking forward to this.

#14 juepucta

juepucta

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 09:43 PM

Funny, i think i walked out the theatre (after Golden Gun was over) right behind you. Assuming it was you, i think you were with four or five people, shaking hands and saying bye to each other when i walked by you guys towards 14th.

-G.

#15 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 09:44 PM

I wish I could make it down to LA for OHMSS.

Bryce is easy to find in a crowd. All you need to do is be in the same proximity and open up a good bottle of Scotch. Once you do that, Bryce will find you :)

#16 Jose

Jose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1020 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 06:49 AM

There are a few obstacles in my way but I'm pretty determined to make it to the OHMSS screening.
Hopefully, I'll see many of you groovy cats there.

#17 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 05:35 PM

I wish I could make it down to LA for OHMSS.

Bryce is easy to find in a crowd. All you need to do is be in the same proximity and open up a good bottle of Scotch. Once you do that, Bryce will find you :)

Quite true my friend. You know me a bit too well as I know you.

Jaguar can hear and distinct the sound of a '54 bottle of Dom Rose' being popped across a crowded room and - with a sniff - tell you if it's "gone south" or "worth a taste" without tipping whatever glass he's holding.

Hmmmmm.....Bunnies.

Another "tell" is if/when I have a drop-dead-gorgeous to kill or die for lady on my arm (and she'll be armed - or legged) to the teeth....until she gets to mine....As to whether or not she's wearing panties..eh..."dealer's choice". ;)

I just might know of one who wouldn't mind attending.

Difficult work being a Double-O....

No....Really.

#18 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 07:21 PM

I'll be attending the OHMSS screening next wednesday. Anyone who's there from CBn if you see me come say HI! Maybe if there's time we can all grab a drink afterwards or something.

#19 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 04:11 PM

See you there kittycat. Yes, a pint (or six) might be in order afterwards. There's a great place across the street.

This is going to be fun. :D

#20 delfloria

delfloria

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 09:36 PM

Athena, We will see you there and I'm sure many of us would be interested in a that drink or......... especially in that "SOMETHING". :) Good choice... The Kitchen across the street.

#21 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 06:16 PM

A very good choice delfloria. Had myself a bite there before the screenings last week. :tup:

Looking forward to this. John Cork brought up the notion of a bite before hand. I'm sure something may be put together in the next day or so. I'm game for any of it.

"Mystery Tour, eh?" ;)

Why the Hell not.

See you all there.

#22 jrcjohnny99

jrcjohnny99

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:45 PM

A very good choice delfloria. Had myself a bite there before the screenings last week. :tup:

Looking forward to this. John Cork brought up the notion of a bite before hand. I'm sure something may be put together in the next day or so. I'm game for any of it.

"Mystery Tour, eh?" ;)

Why the Hell not.

See you all there.

I'll definitely be there on weds; not sure if I can make anything before as I'll be in OC during the day, but i could always do a drink afterwards;

It was tru;y a pleasure meeting the legendary Bryce last week!

#23 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:57 AM

I'll definitely be there on weds; not sure if I can make anything before as I'll be in OC during the day, but i could always do a drink afterwards;

Never a problem with that.

It was truly a pleasure meeting the legendary Bryce last week!

I'm quite flattered, but I always thought you had to be dead to be a "legend". So, I guess this is my second life then. ;)

Well, as a few have kindly said, "and Bryce is the only way to live." :P

I just hope somebody will tell me if the first one was any good. Far as I remember...well...There was this girl in Philidelphia...Then again, agents aren't allowed to give out endorsements in the field. I'll have to check with the Admiral on that. :P :P :dizzy:

A certain sultry P.I. might be joining me if her schedule allows.

First round of pints after are on me jrc. Cheers and also a pleasure to meet you. :D

#24 jrcjohnny99

jrcjohnny99

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 12:05 AM

Never a problem with that.

It was truly a pleasure meeting the legendary Bryce last week!

I'm quite flattered, but I always thought you had to be dead to be a "legend". So, I guess this is my second life then. ;)

Well, as a few have kindly said, "and Bryce is the only way to live." :P

I just hope somebody will tell me if the first one was any good. Far as I remember...well...There was this girl in Philidelphia...Then again, agents aren't allowed to give out endorsements in the field. I'll have to check with the Admiral on that. :P :P :dizzy:

A certain sultry P.I. might be joining me if her schedule allows.

First round of pints after are on me jrc. Cheers and also a pleasure to meet you. :D

Heading north right now;
see you guys at the theatre! (front row, back section! save a seat for me!)

#25 Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 09:10 AM

And here's an article summarizing the Lazenby Q&A though it does suspiciously leave out the part where he talked about his kids and wishing he'd shot off a particular part of his anatomy. :)

Neil

#26 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 04:02 PM

So for those who went, how was it? Did you all get to meet Lazenby and did he sign any autographs?

#27 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 05:59 PM

He might have, but once it was over, he left the theater, but did make a brief appearence in the lobby.

The CBn crew had decided some pints were in order. Hence, we went down the block and ordered some. Major shop talk ensued along consumption of said pints.

Excellent dinner before hand thanks to John Cork. Thank you good sir. *tip of "THE" hat* to you my friend.

The print wasn't 100%. The sound was fine but a few scenes might have been snipped a bit between reels. Nothing major but just a few jumps here and there. George was very candid about a number of things but really seemed to enjoy the whole event and got a couple of standing ovations. It was a full house and the audience cheered and I heard a few sniffles with the last scene. The whole Tracy/Blofeld scene got a lot of laughs from the women.

A grand night and good fun.

Lads, until the next time. As to our resident Moneypenny Athena, see ya when I see you. ;) Take care kittycat.

#28 juepucta

juepucta

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:08 PM

He did stick around to sign stuff. I know i waited until the signing was over to shake his hand and say thanks. But he was gracious with the people that wanted stuff signed. Maybe 15 mins on top of the Q&A.

Anyway, it was nice meeting some of you last night. Hope to see you again soon.

-G.

#29 lazenbyland

lazenbyland

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 199 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 10:55 PM

Here's another article which leaves in the Q&A bit about his ex-wife and kids. Plus that a documentary film about his life may be in the pipeline!

http://abcnews.go.co...ory?id=11590574

#30 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 02:24 AM

He did stick around to sign stuff. I know i waited until the signing was over to shake his hand and say thanks. But he was gracious with the people that wanted stuff signed. Maybe 15 mins on top of the Q&A.

Anyway, it was nice meeting some of you last night. Hope to see you again soon.

-G.

Nice meeting you too.