#31 Jack Spang

Jack Spang

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:27 PM

This just sounds like a gas. LOVE all the mystery. :tup:

What does "gas" mean in this context? Mysterious? Exciting? Fun?

Yes, thanks Admiral. All very intriguing to say the least. Bring on 2011!

Edited by Jack Spang, 22 July 2010 - 11:28 PM.

#32 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:47 PM

Hey, do you think this is how Bond will be briefed by M in the book -- in the crypt below St Andrews? Maybe this is the start of several events where select fans can live the book?

That wpuld be so....uber cool! :D

#33 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:22 AM

Posted Image

I used the Burj as a location in my Fan Fic 'TO KILL AND DIE FOR'

Posted Image

...and the Yas gets a mention in my latest offering 'A SECRET TO THE GRAVE'

These modern pieces of art are ripe for the picking in Bond's world.

Fleming always had me wanting to visit the locations he described in his books; now we must accept that UAE has so much to offer.

I've ony read three Deaver novels; but his attention to detail is so fantastic that I believe he could make ******* sound exotic (fill in your own local ugly city)

#34 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:05 PM

Jeffery Deaver posted a pic of himself in the crypt on his Facebook.

Posted Image
http://www.facebook....&id=65028952194

#35 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:48 PM

Oh very mysterious.

#36 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:35 PM

Oh very mysterious.

yes sir; this is going to be MEGA; how many days is it till May 28 2011?

#37 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 06:01 PM

yes sir; this is going to be MEGA; how many days is it till May 28 2011?

308. :(

#38 Jack Spang

Jack Spang

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:24 PM

I'm not sure if I would be keen on Dubai for a location. It's just a concrete jungle.

Edited by Jack Spang, 23 July 2010 - 11:26 PM.

#39 Doctor Shatterhand

Doctor Shatterhand

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:49 PM

When I first had the opportunity to interview him in Virginia back in June, I brought my Signet copy of FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE as well as a copy of THE BURNING WIRE. Jeffrey Deaver was very kind to sign both and in FRWL he wrote the inscription "PROJECT X 2011" I find it amusing that the Ian Fleming Publications has also gone this route by offering the same for those in attendence of this mysterious tryst.

They are watching us!

#40 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 07:32 AM

They are watching us!

I do hope so.
Like the football fan that wears his team shirt to every match (so he can take to the pitch at a moments notice, just in case the star player doesn't turn up)
I'll keep putting my Fan Fics on here; just in case Jeffery Deaver sustains a wrist injury (perhaps in some bizarre book signing incident) and needs a ghost writer, to complete 'Project X'

307 days to go. Can we have a countdown clock please??

#41 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:04 PM

307 days to go. Can we have a countdown clock please??

Good idea. There's one on the official project x site but there really should be one on the CBn main site. It's such an exciting release. I think it deserves one.

#42 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:29 AM

...and the Yas gets a mention in my latest offering 'A SECRET TO THE GRAVE'

These modern pieces of art are ripe for the picking in Bond's world.

The Yas hotel is actually a part of the wider Yas Marina racing circuit. The entire point of the place is that it is a place for competitors and officials to stay when an event is held. I think it would be very difficult to include the building in any kind of media without tying it back to its intended purpose. The hotel itself might look good, but it's surrounded by grandstands and floodlights and so on.

Also, when night falls, the panels in the bubble wrap-like thing that covers it light up. They can alternate between red and blue ... but it looks quite tacky.

#43 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 02:44 PM

Jeffery Deaver posted a pic of himself in the crypt on his Facebook.

Posted Image

I'm surprised there aren't any sculls in the background! :D

#44 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:52 PM

This just sounds like a gas. LOVE all the mystery. :tup:

What does "gas" mean in this context? Mysterious? Exciting? Fun?

Yeah...means fun, a good time. Very old fashioned expression (and uniquely American, I guess) from the 50s/60s, maybe before. Think it was originally "a gasser." Maybe having to do with laughing gas?

#45 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:39 PM

...(and uniquely American, I guess)...

"I'm Jumpin' Jack Flash, it's a gas, gas, gas..." The man who wrote that is definitely not an American :D
But ever since I first heard those words ages ago, I was curious about the origin, but never really found out.

Now that we live in the age of the interweb:

Scientist Humphrey Davy introduced nitrous oxide to the public (primarily the British upper class) as a recreational drug at “laughing gas parties” in 1799, 36 years before it was used medically. Davy's noted that some people, in a state of induced euphoria by the gas, got the giggles, erupted in laughter, felt stuporous, dreamy and sedated. At Davy's parties, the audience was amused by watching the user's “nitrous oxide capers,” which included stumbling around, slurred speech and falling down - thus earning its nickname: “laughing gas.” (Medindia.net)
Gasoline made its debut in the late 19th century when scientists coined it (from 'gas' plus the Latin 'oleum: 'oil' and ine) to describe the colourless liquid obtained by the fractional distillation of petroleum. 'Gas' itself was coined nearly three centruies earlier by Dutch physician and chemist Jean Baptist van Helmont. Van Helmont thought that he had discovered an occult principle contained in all bodies and named his discovery 'gas' from the German 'chaos'. He had little understanding of the nature of gases, and no one knows exactly what sense of the word 'chaos' he had in mind when he coined 'gas' from it. But despite all this chaos, he was cooking with gas for his invention has become part of almost every language. (Word And Phrase Origins, Robert Hendrickson)

Alternative: A 'gas' was a joke in Anglo-Irish slang. James Joyce uses it in 'Dubliners', published in 1914. By the 1950s in the USA, it had taken on the meaning of anything pleasing or exciting.

Alternative: During the U.S. 'Roaring Twenties', Nitrous (laughing gas) became popular, and “That's a gas” was born as a phrase describing a wild, fun, enjoyable, hilarious event.

Alternative: It's a derivation from the British slang expression (first attested in Dickens), “All is gas and gaiters.”

Alternative: Nitrous oxide - commonly given by dentists in the era, which would fit in with similar slang such as “a knockout”, “it knocks me out”, “it sends me”, “it's a solid sender” - putting one in an ecstatic state.

Alternative: It's jazz musicians' slang - something excellent was “a gasser”, used pretty much the same way "a gas" was used in the 1960s/1970s.

Alternative: A gasser is a remarkable person, top notch.

#46 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:11 PM

Article in The Guardian:

http://www.guardian....-jeffery-deaver

Also JD has posted a new pic on Facebook:

#47 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:23 PM

Interesting. So the general press were invited. On the same day? They probably had a different script read to them, and JD probably used a different cue with them.

With the photo - from left to right - JD's bodyguard while talking to me, guy in hallway who just stood there, the guy who opened the door to the crypt and read the statement to me.

I wonder if these are actually Hodder people or were just hired?

#48 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:32 PM

Judging purely from the picture, the ominous feeling derived from the crypt is entirely negated by the three oiks standing behind Deaver.

While I am sure they are all loveable people, and their mothers think highly of them, if we are to get excited about the theatrics of this event, the clownish looking yooves have not added to the presentation.

Which is not to denigrate clowns, or yooves. Or yoofish clowns. Just that a presentation has to be thought through, from beginning to end, and from left to right.

#49 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:34 PM

Trust me, it was a completely different atmosphere when there wasn't much light!

#50 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:38 PM

Ok. Trust apportioned.

#51 Peaceful

Peaceful

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 02:32 PM

True! I did finally get my "Bond in the Middle East" with Devil May Care. But this is a whole new Middle East, ain't it?

Don't forget he was in Israel for SeaFire and Role Of Honour ;-)

#52 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 02:37 PM

True! But that certainly isn't Israel in ROH? I think it could be Libya or Syria. Gardner never identifies the location.

#53 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 10:35 PM

In ROH, I still stick by my Libya take given the times. Possibly Syria, but given the easy access from the Med, I'll go with the big L. Besides, a certain someone got paid rent for all that desert from the estimated 100+ "camps" during that era.

#54 Peaceful

Peaceful

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 03:32 PM

I just had a look. At the end of Chapt 19 Ploughshare of ROH, Bond "asked about Erewhon and was told that the Israelis had pinpointed the site." etc
Doesn't mean it was Israel though, so I sit corrected lol
I actually thought it was in Lebanon as Rahani was Lebanese American :-)

#55 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 03:39 PM

I just had a look. At the end of Chapt 19 Ploughshare of ROH, Bond "asked about Erewhon and was told that the Israelis had pinpointed the site." etc
Doesn't mean it was Israel though, so I sit corrected lol
I actually thought it was in Lebanon as Rahani was Lebanese American :-)

Believe it or not, I actually started a whole thread on this when I recently re-read ROH.

http://debrief.comma...ere-is-erewhon/

#56 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 02:50 PM

A limited press event held in a crypt. How cool is that! From what I've been reading about Deaver, he seems like a good guy. The closest I've come to his work so far is The Bone Collector movie but I just bought Garden of Beasts & I'm looking forward to reading it.

#57 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 05:59 PM

So I had a fantastic related adventure yesterday. I came home from a full day out in Hollywood with Dunph (who's in town for the week) to find I had a big mysterious package waiting for me from Switzerland(?). After discussing what this could possibly be -- allowing for the possibility that it could be a bomb or a human head -- we opened it to find a box within a box and inside that was a nice file box marked "Project X." Oh baby!

Inside were signed copies of Garden of Beasts, From Russia With Love, and The Burning Wire (all individually wrapped in paper marked "Top Secret", "Eyes Only", etc.); a letter with a special personalized key card to exclusive Project X material to come; and a mysterious DVD that just said "Play Me." We popped the DVD in the computer and up comes a message from Jeffery Deaver in the crypt. And it wasn't some a generic message -- it started "Hi John. I'm sorry you couldn't make it. But it was good meeting you in LA..." etc.

How freakin' cool is that!? I felt like I got the full London crypt experience right here at home. So happy Paul was here to experience/witness it with me.

Thank you Hodder, IFP, and Jeffery Deaver. :)

#58 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 06:57 PM

:o
:tup: :tup:

#59 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 07:56 PM

So I had a fantastic related adventure yesterday. I came home from a full day out in Hollywood with Dunph (who's in town for the week) to find I had a big mysterious package waiting for me from Switzerland(?). After discussing what this could possibly be -- allowing for the possibility that it could be a bomb or a human head -- we opened it to find a box within a box and inside that was a nice file box marked "Project X." Oh baby!

Inside were signed copies of Garden of Beasts, From Russia With Love, and The Burning Wire (all individually wrapped in paper marked "Top Secret", "Eyes Only", etc.); a letter with a special personalized key card to exclusive Project X material to come; and a mysterious DVD that just said "Play Me." We popped the DVD in the computer and up comes a message from Jeffery Deaver in the crypt. And it wasn't some a generic message -- it started "Hi John. I'm sorry you couldn't make it. But it was good meeting you in LA..." etc.

How freakin' cool is that!? I felt like I got the full London crypt experience right here at home. So happy Paul was here to experience/witness it with me.

OKay; you got me; that IS cool!!!

#60 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 09:17 PM

That is damn cool. How come Deaver never mailed me anything?