62 replies to this topic

#1 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:49 PM

I was invited to the Project X event today. It was all very mysterious; receiving an invite with no location, and no specific time. Having said I'd attend, a few days later I was told the location was to be the crypt at St Andrews Church in London.

I arrived about 10 minutes early so I could scout the area (and find the actual entrance - you can walk around the entire perimeter of the church). Off the pavement there was a gate where I could see a sign with Project X written on it. I had to follow the path and knock on the door which was down a few steps. Doing that, the door opens with a man standing in it - black suit, dark glasses. Holding a clipboard, he asked me what my name was. I was then invited in and went down a few more steps and asked to sit on the lone chair in this very dark room, lit only by a few candles on a desk, with some drinks on it. A statement was read to me, which included that I'd be meeting Jeffery Deaver. I was then told to wait and to help myself to a drink.

It felt like perhaps 5 minutes passed (it was probably half that!), then I was told to follow this person down through the crypt. Eventually ended up at a much smaller room. Inside there was a desk, with two chairs, a lamp, a camera, a few books and Jeffery Deaver sitting opposite, with his scary looking bodyguard behind him. JD welcomed me in and introduced himself and asked me to sit.

I'm afraid there's not much I can discuss. Questions about the plot were off limits. We discussed locations, and he mentioned that 3 or 4 exotic locations would be included in the book - all of which he has visited recently for a period of time. London features in the book too - a location not too far away from the Church we were at.

We talked about Bond's personality and it's continuity in Project X. JD referred to the great scene where Bond had to hand over his Beretta, which is replaced with a PPK by Q, and then later tries to walk out again with the Beretta.

Also, gadgets were discussed. How it's not a good idea to use things that sound ridiculous. JD referred to an episode of CSI where the team had this contraption they placed over a dead persons eye, which then showed them the last thing this person saw. That kind of thing won't be in Project X.

Jeffery kindly gave me a copy of From Russia with Love and Garden of Beasts - both of which he signed. There was another item he gave me, but I'm afraid I can't disclose what this was.

After around 15 minutes, the man who let me into the crypt walked in and said that my time was up, and if I wanted a picture taken as proof of this event taking place. I said yes of course. The man used the camera on the desk. I'm waiting to receive the picture as of writing this. I was then led out a different way to which I entered, exiting through the gardens adjacent to the church.

A very mysterious event. Jeffery Deaver is a very pleasant person to meet. I look forward to further developments as a result of todays meeting!

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:52 PM

This just sounds like a gas. LOVE all the mystery. :tup:

#3 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:04 PM

Only for James Bond they can pull of something like this :D :tup:

#4 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:04 PM

I agree with Zencat. I love how mysterious this all is. :tup:

#5 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:11 PM

So it doesn't look like this was a big press event. Truly only a handful of people were invited to this. By The Admiral's estimate, maybe only six or so. Quite an honor!

And JD did say he was a fan of the site. The Admiral is too modest to post that. ;)

#6 double o ego

double o ego

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:11 PM

I want to know what the other gift was!

#7 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:13 PM

I wonder if Deaver is aware of CBn, then. He must be to invite The Admiral along.

#8 Peaceful

Peaceful

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:16 PM

Wow sounds very exciting. it's funny you should mention the Walther/Beretta thing, I was only wondering yesterday which one he was gonna give Bond.

I want to know what the other gift was!

Yeah me too.

#9 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:18 PM

I wonder if Deaver is aware of CBn, then. He must be to invite The Admiral along.

See my post above. He clearly is aware of the site and the "community". :)

#10 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:22 PM

Magnificent! I admitt I ecpected a lot more info from this event, but anyway.

I loved the idea of the black-suited guy on the door. Really unique for such an event.

#11 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:27 PM

Magnificent! I admitt I ecpected a lot more info from this event, but anyway.

Maybe I made too much of it by teasing that something was going to happen. Conjured visions of the DMC launch. But what I like is this really was an "exclusive" event. Not 1000 reporters. Just a handful of favored fans given an inside meeting and brief with THE MAN himself. And the theatrical nature of it all...they really went all out. Suggests we have a lot to look forward to in the coming year. :)

#12 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:38 PM

Hey, do you think this is how Bond will be briefed by M in the book -- in the crypt below St Andrews? Maybe this is the start of several events where select fans can live the book?

#13 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:53 PM

I was invited to the Project X event today. It was all very mysterious; receiving an invite with no location, and no specific time. Having said I'd attend, a few days later I was told the location was to be the crypt at St Andrews Church in London.

I arrived about 10 minutes early so I could scout the area (and find the actual entrance - you can walk around the entire perimeter of the church). Off the pavement there was a gate where I could see a sign with Project X written on it. I had to follow the path and knock on the door which was down a few steps. Doing that, the door opens with a man standing in it - black suit, dark glasses. Holding a clipboard, he asked me what my name was. I was then invited in and went down a few more steps and asked to sit on the lone chair in this very dark room, lit only by a few candles on a desk, with some drinks on it. A statement was read to me, which included that I'd be meeting Jeffery Deaver.

Extraordinary. What an experience - I wonder whether it crossed your mind at any points that perhaps it was all some kind of big windup? But what a day you must have had. :)

#14 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:53 PM

Good notion there Zencat. Doesn't Bond get briefed in Role of Honour by M in a hotel in London? A smaller boutique style one in Soho or somehwere or was it just a small flat? At any rate, Bond getting briefed in London, but outside the office would be cool. I think they're are trying to make this fun for us as it all gears up.

Based on what the Admiral reported regarding locations, I'm starting to follow the clues given Deaver's travels. I'm doing my own research on locales, but I think I'm narrowing it down to a few.

Right now, I'll go with my gut and the travels of JD.

- London (well, obviously)
- Southern Italy
- Dubai
- Germany (either more rural or major cities - Berlin, Hamburg, Munich)

In what order, who knows, but those are just my own best guesses right now and I'll bet there is one more. Also, Bond may not have to go to all these places. One could just be where the villiain lurks about or even just the target for what "project" is afoot.

#15 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:57 PM

Yeah, that was a pretty major thing to slip to us, and I believe someone early on the original Project X thread suggested looking at where JD had travelled lately for clues to Project X locations. Looks like that is indeed the way to go.

I'm going all in on Dubai and saying I believe it WILL be a major Project X location. Not only because JD just traveled there (for a dog show, wasn't it?) but I think it's a fantastic location for James Bond. The whole freakin' place looks like something out of a James Bond movie. I can't believe it hasn't been used yet.

#16 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:07 PM

Dubai, eh?
My money on this one:

Posted Image

;)

#17 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:15 PM

I'm going all in on Dubai and saying I believe it WILL be a major Project X location......I think it's a fantastic location for James Bond. The whole freakin' place looks like something out of a James Bond movie. I can't believe it hasn't been used yet.

Of course you are. You've been aching for "Bond in the middle east" for ages. Hopefully, you'll get your wish. Hey, I got Bond in my home state in Brokenclaw. ;)

Damn, we are in for serious fun on this.

#18 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:18 PM

True! I did finally get my "Bond in the Middle East" with Devil May Care. But this is a whole new Middle East, ain't it?

#19 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:19 PM

Funny that now it's possible Bond could be going to the Middle East, when I was suggesting it was somewhere we could see a few weeks ago, people were slagging it off saying it was vapid and a horrible place and completely un-Bond. Personally, having lived there for three years, I think it would be a fabulous place with a lot of unrecognised culture off the beaten path as well as lots of cosmopolitan westernisation in the metropolitan areas.

Plus - as posted, you've got the Burj Khalifa as well as the Burj Al Arab to play with for hotels in which Bond could stay.

#20 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:21 PM

How nicely odd. I suppose they did it just for word to spread among the community; seems like there was no grand announcement or anything that'll make it into the papers. Rather nice of them.
Mr Deaver seems like a very friendly and pleasant chap judging by all these meetings various peeps have been having with him.

#21 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:41 PM

Sound extraordinary Admiral, Of course there is one burning question that is on everyone's mind from your trip....what did you drink?

#22 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:55 PM

How nicely odd. I suppose they did it just for word to spread among the community

Is there any need to do this as 'the community' have been excited from the start.
This must have cost quite a lot, especially considering how low key it was . What do you think was the point from a marketing perspective? I just don't understand why they did this. Any thoughts on why they did this?

BTW Jeffery gave a good interview on BBC5 a few days ago that should still be available to listen to for a few days yet. http://www.bbc.co.uk...con_20_07_2010/ . The interview starts at 5mins 30 secs.

Edited by quantumofsolace, 21 July 2010 - 09:59 PM.

#23 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:22 PM

This is really something and a great way to give back to the fans. Thanks, Admiral.

#24 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:30 AM

That is just all kinds of cool.

#25 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 01:34 AM

Hey, do you think this is how Bond will be briefed by M in the book -- in the crypt below St Andrews? Maybe this is the start of several events where select fans can live the book?

Possibly. I want a different take on the briefing this time around, opposed to the usual office setting.

#26 Marketto007

Marketto007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2487 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:04 AM

Wow, amazing kind of event. Private and misteryous, just like Bond classics. Can't wait too see the photo of it. :)

xxx

#27 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:10 AM

Jeffery Deaver; just appeared on the BBC news programme "Brekfast"

He spoke about his writing methods; and gave a good insight into his latest novel "The Burning Wire"

Then; he spoke on "Project X"

He confirmed that there would by three suprises at the end of the book.
PLus he had researched 4 exotic locations; he was also able to confirm London was one of them.

Mr. Deaver will be doing a signing of The Burning Wire in London today; followed by a talk this evening.

Coupled with the Admiral's fantastic experience from yesterday; it certainly brings next May's launch a little nearer.

BOND IS BACK

#28 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:21 AM

That is just too cool. Lucky you Admiral. I'm jealous. That would have been great to attend. Jeffery Deaver sounds like a great guy--very nice and accommodating towards us fans as well as being a real fan of James Bond. I'm impressed with all he and IFP have done so far post the Project X announcement which they have had no duty or need to do. They are certainly keeping the fans interested and excited in this new venture of Project X. I can't wait to read it. It should be great. I'm becoming an even bigger fan of Deaver's than I was before.

#29 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:14 AM

Is there any need to do this as 'the community' have been excited from the start.
This must have cost quite a lot, especially considering how low key it was .

I think as it was so low key it would have cost very little.
I don't really know why they did it; as he was in the country I suppose, trying to keep the project in everyones' minds.

#30 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:24 AM

That will be an imteresting touch I have to say. Or perhaps we might have a meeting between M and Bond there, judt like in the underground station in DAD.

Dubai, eh?
My money on this one:

Posted Image

;)

Oh, I hope not. In my book Dubai is overrated. Perhaps we can have Abu Dhabi as a location. I think it'll be better.