This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Deadline: Chris Nolan wants to direct Bond!

109 replies to this topic

#61 double o ego

double o ego

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 04:13 PM

Hire that man!

What I like about the Nolan story is that he seems to be a genuine Bond fanatic, kind of like Sam Raimi was with Spider-Man, and we saw how great the first two Spider-Man films were. Or how Richard Donner was a huge Superman fan and we saw how great the first Superman film was (and the Donner version of II). Instead of hiring directors who have a vaguely passing knowledge of Bond, why doesn't EON try something spectacularly different and actually hire a self-professed Bond geek to direct?

In other words, try hiring a director like Tarantino, Nolan, or Spielberg (back in the late 70's) for whom the movie would be a labor of love and not just a paycheck or a statement showing that they can direct an action film?

Hiring a Bond geek to direct a Bond film is the worst thing you could do because Bond fans' tastes are radically diiferent. You have people who hate TWINE with a passion and simultaneously you get people who regard it as a modern masterpiece. You have people who think Moore and his era is the absoloute difinitive Bond and everything else is meh whilst again, on the flip side you have people who think Moore and his era is almost short of tragic to the series.

There's just too much of a risk of things going belly up if you hire a director who is a Bond geek. Someone cited Sam Raimi and the problem is the same. I'm a massive spider-man geek and Raimi's spidey movies imo sucked big time and that's because I know the character and the mythology so well, I was dissapointed to no end at how awful the movies were overall. There are many spider-man fans who share my sentiments and there others who feel Raimi gave us the best thing since sliced bread.

What I like about Nolan is, you can tell he's a genuine Bond fan without being so ridiculously overzealous about it or citing the typical GF or FRWL movies. I'm glad he cited OHMSS which for a long time and even today in the eyes of many, particularly by ignorant members of the audience regard the movie is awful or simply forgot or don't know itb exists.

I think the Bond movies really need if anything a director who can handle telling a good spy thriller. Bond is Bond, by definition it immediately projects an atmosphere of expansiveness and indulgence, so that will take care of itself BUT it's all about retaining the thrills, the danger, the suspense, the atmosphere and cracking dialogue.

People don't realise this but one of the reasons why CR did so well was because aside from the great acting and overall greatness of the movie as a whole, most of the GA had never read the book, so they had no real clue as to wtf was going to happen and that's what we need. A director who can encapsulate a real spy thriller that isn't necessarilly a Bond geek.

#62 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 06:22 PM

So to boil it down, you think Nolan would not make a good film because he is too much of a fan? Your example using Raimi does not really bolster your point considering I think he did as great a job as anyone could do with the first 2 and the changes made worked. I'm a huge Spider-Man fan, hell I was even on set with my buds for quite a few days and I don't carry a chip on my shoulders about organic web shooters.

I'm quite sure Nolan can tell a spy story. I'm quite sure if he did Bond it would be a spectacular effort.

#63 Colossus

Colossus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 06:55 PM

So to boil it down, you think Nolan would not make a good film because he is too much of a fan? Your example using Raimi does not really bolster your point considering I think he did as great a job as anyone could do with the first 2 and the changes made worked. I'm a huge Spider-Man fan, hell I was even on set with my buds for quite a few days and I don't carry a chip on my shoulders about organic web shooters.

I'm quite sure Nolan can tell a spy story. I'm quite sure if he did Bond it would be a spectacular effort.

Actually the Toby Maguire movies sucked something fierce, namely for the leads, Maguire looked like he was going to cut his own wrists, snaggletooth Dunst was ghastly and James Franco was too James Franco-y, Raimi also said he didn't "get" Venom, how hard is it to get Venom? Red flag right there. Sometimes a fan director works like the Donner Superman but other times they don't like the Spidey movies. Spiderman 1 and 2 did have those great moments like 1st Goblin fight or the train part, but the movies still sucked too much... and no movie is perfect i agree but some still have the good outweighing the bad, these movies tone and whole mood were just completely wackass compared to the Spiderman, silver age or any age even.

The only reason i think Nolan might NOT be hired is to usurp the producers' own image, like tradition the producers have always hired lesser known directors who made their name through Bond, not ones who are already stars like Nolan with the Batman franchise, but who knows if they might get desperate in the future (which doesnt look to bright for em).

#64 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 07:02 PM

What's all the hating on Rami? You're acting like he directed Howard the Duck.

Sure, there were some things he did that didn't fit the mythology, but the box office on the 3 films was pretty spectacular.

Nolan is certainly the most high profile director that is interested - why not give him a shot? I bet it could really galvanize the financing as well - the studio, once the finances get settled, would be much more willing to take a high budget risk with the man who has made the 3rd highest grossing film of all time.

#65 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 07:07 PM

Nolan is not a marquee name. He alone does not ensure business for his films. The fans may know him but the fans don't make up the bulk of the world's box office.

While I would certainly agree that Nolan is not a marquee name himself (yet, but he's certainly close), I do think that if EON hired him, they could give themselves a huge marketing boost by building the campaign simply around the film being "from the director of THE DARK KNIGHT". While the name "Nolan" might not pull people into the theater (because I would think that a lot of people outside of fandom wouldn't immediately put together the fact that he directed the last two Batman films), I think that advertizing the fact that they would have the director of THE DARK KNIGHT helming the Bond picture might get people into the theater.

With that said, I wouldn't be excited for a Nolan-directed Bond film, but I think there's some affect that his association with a Bond film might have on the box office.

#66 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 07:12 PM

I don't know what else Nolan would have to do in order to become a marquee name at this point.

#67 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 07:14 PM

Actually the Toby Maguire movies sucked something fierce, namely for the leads, Maguire looked like he was going to cut his own wrists, snaggletooth Dunst was ghastly and James Franco was too James Franco-y, Raimi also said he didn't "get" Venom, how hard is it to get Venom? Red flag right there. Sometimes a fan director works like the Donner Superman but other times they don't like the Spidey movies. Spiderman 1 and 2 did have those great moments like 1st Goblin fight or the train part, but the movies still sucked too much... and no movie is perfect i agree but some still have the good outweighing the bad, these movies tone and whole mood were just completely wackass compared to the Spiderman, silver age or any age even.

The only reason i think Nolan might NOT be hired is to usurp the producers' own image, like tradition the producers have always hired lesser known directors who made their name through Bond, not ones who are already stars like Nolan with the Batman franchise, but who knows if they might get desperate in the future (which doesnt look to bright for em).

Firstly, saying something sucked is subjective. You didn't like it and your taste is not a univeral. Also Sam himself said many times he did not want to do Venom, in fact he has been very vocal about his prefering Romita era Spide-man and not wanting to use Macfarlane's creation. The third movie's script did not have Venom, it was studio pressure that forced the issue and caused a rewrite a month before shooting.

#68 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 08:09 PM

Hiring a Bond geek to direct a Bond film is the worst thing you could do because Bond fans' tastes are radically diiferent. You have people who hate TWINE with a passion and simultaneously you get people who regard it as a modern masterpiece. You have people who think Moore and his era is the absoloute difinitive Bond and everything else is meh whilst again, on the flip side you have people who think Moore and his era is almost short of tragic to the series.

Nolan has said numerous times that his favourite Bond film is On Her Majesties Secret Service, so I think he has the right idea as to what makes Bond, Bond.

As we all know, On Her Majesties Secret Service is very popular among fans, and if the Director see's it as his favourite Bond film, I have a feeling that we would probably get a film that is heavily influenced by it.

I say, give the guy a shot. He'll me a cracking Bond movie.

#69 LoneWolf

LoneWolf

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 09:08 PM

I agree, I was very happy when he noted "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" as his favorite Bond film. I think it too often flies under the radar and qualifies as an underrated movie. I think it is the hidden gem in the entire Bond franchise. Initially, no one expects much as Connery is absent from the film. However the story has great depth and Lazenby succeeds as 007. As much as I would have loved to see Connery in this film, I have to give props to Lazenby. He definitely had some tough shoes to fill.

With that said, I think Nolan recognizes what made OHMSS great. If this is the case, I'm pretty sure he could make a good Bond movie.

#70 blueman

blueman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 09:53 PM

Meh. Not a fan, and HATE what he did to Batman. Pass, please.

I suppose you're a big Joel Schumacher fan, then?

For Blueman, the more bat-nipples the better.

???

Hate what Schumacher did to Batman even more. Lose the camp, lose the emo. At this point I just wanna see a straight-up film version of Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns. Directed by Quentin Tarantino. That'd make me bat-happy.

#71 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 11:18 PM

I think the difference here is between a Bond geek/aficionado and a casual Bond fan. I've currently yet to find any Bond aficionado worth his salt claim THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH to be a modern masterpiece.

Strangely enough, even DAD has more fans.

#72 mister-white

mister-white

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 231 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 11:37 PM

The question we need to ask is if Chris Nolan were to become attached to the next Bond, that would definitely get the execs at Warner to up their bid to buy MGM/ 007, so simply for that, I say he NEEDS to come on board.

#73 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 03:38 AM

The question we need to ask is if Chris Nolan were to become attached to the next Bond, that would definitely get the execs at Warner to up their bid to buy MGM/ 007, so simply for that, I say he NEEDS to come on board.

Nolan being attached to one film is not going to get Time Warner to up their overall bid for MGM. Warner's bid for MGM fell far short of what they wanted, and Warner is not going to suddenly meet MGM's demands simply because Nolan is attached to direct a Bond film, which is going to earn boatloads of money with or without Nolan on board.

#74 BoogieBond

BoogieBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:22 AM

I would say to Babs to give Christopher Nolan a chance at a Bond. I know in the past they have avoided big names in terms of directors but that seems to be changing, and giving Directors more autonomy. So the time would be right for Nolan to do a Bond film. He's a quality director who has done some excellent films, his wage demands, and the fact that he is higher profile than they are used to doesn't bother me. and he is suitable for an Action Adventure type film such as Bond. I think that the producers have the right idea in getting quality for Bond films at script and director level, and that seems to continue, there are a lot of quality directors out there, so its not a disaster if they don't choose quality(Peter Morgan and Sam Mendes being the latest examples), as long as the scriptwriters and directors are top quality(And suitable for that Bond Action/Entertainment) then Bond has a rosy future(when he gets going again)

Edited by BoogieBond, 12 July 2010 - 11:53 AM.

#75 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 12:08 PM

If Nolan were chosen to direct a Bond film I hope it´s for Bond 24. Otherwise we would be indeed waiting a long, long time since he will be busy with BATMAN 3 for the next two years.

#76 DominicGreene

DominicGreene

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 11:31 PM

I think Nolan would make a great Bond film based on his creativity and directing skills on Inception

#77 Emma

Emma

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 03:57 PM

Anyone who has seen Inception, will know that Nolan deserves to direct a Bond film. I honestly hope Nolan gets a crack at Bond #24. But please keep his brother away from writing the script!

#78 blueman

blueman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:55 PM

Anyone who has seen Inception, will know that Nolan deserves to direct a Bond film. I honestly hope Nolan gets a crack at Bond #24. But please keep his brother away from writing the script!

Yeah, the script sucked. But the direction was ham-fisted at best. Also hated the OHMSS ski scene recreations, just not necessary. The whole thing was like a live-action anime, flat characters saying 68 pages of exposition setting up big "drama" moments. Meh. Don't let this guy (and his hack brother) near Bond.

#79 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 07:18 PM

Yeah, the script sucked. But the direction was ham-fisted at best. Also hated the OHMSS ski scene recreations, just not necessary. The whole thing was like a live-action anime, flat characters saying 68 pages of exposition setting up big "drama" moments. Meh. Don't let this guy (and his hack brother) near Bond.

So basically what you're saying is that you expect a Nolan-directed Bond film to be nothing more than an "Inception" rehash? Right...

Nolan is a smart filmmaker and he knows what makes Bond, Bond. He's not going to go off making a surreal, esoteric "pretentious" art house film. With the right script, he has the potential to make a Bond film that blows anything post-OHMSS out of the water.

#80 blueman

blueman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 11:53 PM

So basically what you're saying is that you expect a Nolan-directed Bond film to be nothing more than an "Inception" rehash? Right...

Nolan is a smart filmmaker and he knows what makes Bond, Bond. He's not going to go off making a surreal, esoteric "pretentious" art house film. With the right script, he has the potential to make a Bond film that blows anything post-OHMSS out of the water.

That's all he does, make pretentious films. And he'd find a way to screw up a good Bond script, easy. I don't like the films he makes, don't think he's a very good story-teller, I expect a Nolan-directed Bond film to be as bad as everything else he's made. (okay, I kinda liked Memento, but not enough to get excited about the guy directing a Bond film, not after he trashed Batman)

Much prefer Forster as a director, but that's just me. And excited about Mendes (hopefully) doing 23.

#81 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 05:06 AM

What was pretentious about either of his Batman films?

#82 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 05:16 AM

Just returned from Inception. He could definitely handle it. Would advise against him and his brother penning it, however.

#83 blueman

blueman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 05:27 AM

The basic idea: that Wayne needed to go to Mongolia with a death wish to find himself, that he didn't know any hard sciences, that he had an unrequited love interest fueling his St. Elmo's Fire angst... that he was, in short, an emo-boy in a cape. That's Batman?? You can have him, I'll take Miller's version, thanks.

Funny, the same criticisms leveled at QOS are what bother me about Nolan's work: sloppy editing, poor story-telling or even (as regards to Batman) inappropriate story-telling, thin characters with little to no arc or an arc that's so short it doesn't need 2 and a half hours to play out, undeveloped script, etc. Almost across the board. Weird.

#84 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 06:50 AM

The basic idea: that Wayne needed to go to Mongolia with a death wish to find himself, that he didn't know any hard sciences, that he had an unrequited love interest fueling his St. Elmo's Fire angst... that he was, in short, an emo-boy in a cape. That's Batman?? You can have him, I'll take Miller's version, thanks.

Going by that line of thought, Bond is "emo" in "QoS" and by the end of "CR". "Batman Begins" was very much influenced and informed by landmark Batman graphic novels including "Year One", "The Man Who Falls" and "The Long Halloween" as well as the fantastic animated film "Mask of the Phantasm", so to say this particular portrayal of Bruce Wayne/Batman is entirely of Nolan's creation is a bit shortsighted.

Don't get me wrong; "TDKR" is a sheer classic and I'd love to see it adapted as a film someday. But that adaptation simply would not work as an introduction to the character. As with the Bond reboot, Nolan's reboot has shown us the genesis of the character and the tragedies that shaped him into the legend we all know and love. I don't see how giving us a Batman whose motivations are strongly guided by a romantic interest = emo.

#85 blueman

blueman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:56 AM

Guess we have different ideas about Bond and Batman, Forster and Nolan. C'est la vie.

#86 DominicGreene

DominicGreene

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:48 AM

Did you see Inception? I think you are thinking of a different movie because no human being could say the writing was bad. Even Armond White didn't say anything about the writing! Your opinion is indeed wrong, and cannot absolutely be an opinion anymore, but rather a statement confirming your retardness. Don't even, just GTFO of the internet now.

It's one thing to say you didn't like the script, but saying it was bad? No critics or reviewers even touched the script except in a positifs.

1. You never read the script
2. I'd like to see you make something better

Edited by DominicGreene, 19 July 2010 - 10:58 AM.

#87 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 11:06 AM

Even Armond White didn't say anything about the writing!

Armon White doesn't say anything other than "I'm a pretentious git with an opinion". And if blueman disliked INCEPTION, then that's not just his choice, but his right. Nowhere is it written that audiences must love INCEPTION unconditionally. If blueman dislikes the film, then I'm willing to pay heed to his criticisms, because he's one of those forum members whose opinion I'll respect. Yours, however, is not; your attack was unprovoked and unjustified. You should, after all, know that no opinion is ever wrong, because opinions are based on belief rather than solid fact. If I told you that I believe the sky is green, I could justify that opinion. Maybe I am colour-blind, and therefore my eyes interpret colours differently. Or maybe my kindergarten teacher was stoned out of her mind the day she taught colours. Either way, I can make a case for my opinion that the sky is green. Here, blueman did no differently. He did not like INCEPTION because he felt it was like a cartoon. That's a perfectly valid response. So while you can disagree with a person's opinion, you should never claim it to be invalid simply because you disagree with it.

Perhaps you are the one who should be getting off the internet.

#88 DominicGreene

DominicGreene

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 12:10 PM

Even Armond White didn't say anything about the writing!

Armon White doesn't say anything other than "I'm a pretentious git with an opinion". And if blueman disliked INCEPTION, then that's not just his choice, but his right. Nowhere is it written that audiences must love INCEPTION unconditionally. If blueman dislikes the film, then I'm willing to pay heed to his criticisms, because he's one of those forum members whose opinion I'll respect. Yours, however, is not; your attack was unprovoked and unjustified. You should, after all, know that no opinion is ever wrong, because opinions are based on belief rather than solid fact. If I told you that I believe the sky is green, I could justify that opinion. Maybe I am colour-blind, and therefore my eyes interpret colours differently. Or maybe my kindergarten teacher was stoned out of her mind the day she taught colours. Either way, I can make a case for my opinion that the sky is green. Here, blueman did no differently. He did not like INCEPTION because he felt it was like a cartoon. That's a perfectly valid response. So while you can disagree with a person's opinion, you should never claim it to be invalid simply because you disagree with it.

Perhaps you are the one who should be getting off the internet.

I said he can say he didn't like it or doesn't like the writing, but saying it is bad or the movie is bad is a whole other thing.

#89 Conlazmoodalbrocra

Conlazmoodalbrocra

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3546 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 12:21 PM

I loved 'Following', 'Batman Begins' and 'The Dark Knight', and 'Inception' was a good film. Ergo, the man has talent. If Mendes scarpers, give him the job!

#90 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 12:25 PM

It's okay to dislike INCEPTION.

Frankly, I wasn't in love with it the first time I saw it. Found it a bit of a mess. But a lot of my complaints faded when I saw it a second time and was able to get a better grasp on the overwhelming whole of Nolan's latest epic.