This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Deadline: Chris Nolan wants to direct Bond!

109 replies to this topic

#31 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 06:23 PM

Nolan is a great director and his name attached to Bond would certainly bolster Bond's box office even more. What surprises me is how many CBners who have wanted Bond #23 to be a lighter adventure, seem to support the idea of Nolan as a director. As Messervy pointed out, Nolan's previous films tend to be darker and gritter. The Dark Knight almost makes QoS look like a Roger Moore Bond film.

tdalton, have you seem Momento? imo, that is his best movie to date (granted, I have only seen Momento, Prestige and his 2 Bat films).

#32 Colossus

Colossus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 07:15 PM

This would be a great possibility for Nolan to do this but who knows if the EON producers would allow such a strong action director who's already proven himself on another franchise to do this since they always choose lesser known directors as per their track record. I can't wait when Bond goes public domain as it's been said in another thread when many great action directors will do their take on the character.

#33 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 07:52 PM

tdalton, have you seem Momento? imo, that is his best movie to date (granted, I have only seen Momento, Prestige and his 2 Bat films).

I saw it back when it was released on DVD and remember not being particularly blown away by it.

Looking over his IMDb page, it does appear as though I've seen all of his efforts as a director since MEMENTO. The only ones that I really think were truly solid pieces of filmmaking were INSOMNIA and THE PRESTIGE. I also like BATMAN BEGINS, even though it's a very heavily flawed movie. The rest of them, though, I don't particularly care for. I can't say that I was blown away by any of them, even INSOMNIA and THE PRESTIGE.

#34 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 07:59 PM

The rest of them, though, I don't particularly care for.

You mean THE DARK KNIGHT? (You've named every other post-MEMENTO Nolan film as films that you enjoy.)

#35 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 08:16 PM

You mean THE DARK KNIGHT? (You've named every other post-MEMENTO Nolan film as films that you enjoy.)

Maybe "like" isn't the right word for BATMAN BEGINS. It's heavily a heavily flawed film that is trying to be much more than it is, and the fact that it's coming after two horrifically bad Batman films helps its standing considerably. It's an OK film, one that sat well with me after a theatrical viewing, but one that I wouldn't say deserves the massive praise heaped on it. Although it does deserve the praise moreso than THE DARK KNIGHT.

And, no, I can't stand THE DARK KNIGHT. Didn't particularly care for it when I saw it in theaters, and liked it even less the one time I saw it on Blu-ray.

My breakdown of Nolan's filmography would go something like this: INSOMNIA and THE PRESTIGE (enjoyable films that are certainly solid pieces of entertainment); BATMAN BEGINS (miles better than BATMAN FOREVER and BATMAN & ROBIN, but a film that tries too hard and, while better than most of the Batman films and a decent enough way to spend a couple of hours, isn't really anything special or groundbreaking); MEMENTO & THE DARK KNIGHT (never have liked either film).

#36 triviachamp

triviachamp

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1400 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 08:19 PM

All of his films are flawed

This can be said about every film, especially Bond films?

I don't think Nolan would direct Bond though. Not surprised that he would say this though.

#37 bond 16.05.72

bond 16.05.72

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1068 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:02 PM

What I like about the Nolan story is that he seems to be a genuine Bond fanatic, kind of like Sam Raimi was with Spider-Man, and we saw how great the first two Spider-Man films were.

Personally, I think all three Spidey flicks are rubbish.

I'll second that!

Maybe "like" isn't the right word for BATMAN BEGINS. It's heavily a heavily flawed film that is trying to be much more than it is, and the fact that it's coming after two horrifically bad Batman films helps its standing considerably. It's an OK film, one that sat well with me after a theatrical viewing, but one that I wouldn't say deserves the massive praise heaped on it. Although it does deserve the praise moreso than THE DARK KNIGHT.

And, no, I can't stand THE DARK KNIGHT. Didn't particularly care for it when I saw it in theaters, and liked it even less the one time I saw it on Blu-ray.

My breakdown of Nolan's filmography would go something like this: INSOMNIA and THE PRESTIGE (enjoyable films that are certainly solid pieces of entertainment); BATMAN BEGINS (miles better than BATMAN FOREVER and BATMAN & ROBIN, but a film that tries too hard and, while better than most of the Batman films and a decent enough way to spend a couple of hours, isn't really anything special or groundbreaking); MEMENTO & THE DARK KNIGHT (never have liked either film).

Funny the last 2 were the most critically acclaimed!

#38 blueman

blueman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:03 PM

Meh. Not a fan, and HATE what he did to Batman. Pass, please.

#39 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:31 PM

Director of the 007-influenced Inception and The Dark Knight eager to helm Bond pic

#40 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 12:10 AM

MGM get your B)ing :tdown: together now! :tdown:

#41 triviachamp

triviachamp

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1400 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 12:16 AM

MGM get your B)ing :tdown: together now! :tdown:

Well to be fair he might become available once this thing is settled.

#42 LoneWolf

LoneWolf

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 12:37 AM

"Following" is one of his first movies, I highly recommend it if no one has seen it.

#43 RazorBlade

RazorBlade

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 12:43 AM

I'd love for Chris Nolan to direct a Bond film.

#44 Jack Spang

Jack Spang

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 01:04 AM

OHMSS is also my favourite Bond film along with FRWL. B) Nolan would be a wonderful choice to direct a Bond film. Eon would be silly not to atleast approach him once Bond 23 (ever) gets made. I'm a big fan of Batman Begins and I have enjoyed all of Nolan's films. This INCEPTION film sounds worth checking out.

Edited by Jack Spang, 10 July 2010 - 01:06 AM.

#45 Colossus

Colossus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 01:40 AM

I can't say i like Nolan's hyper-realism approach. More fantasy is needed.

#46 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 01:43 AM

I'd love for Chris Nolan to direct a Bond film.

to be honest i think he'd work great for bond 24 I think by then if they wanted to give the rebooted timeline a new Tracy I think Nolan would be the man for the job without makeing it seem like a remake of On her majesties Secret Service.

#47 Jack Spang

Jack Spang

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 05:37 AM

I can't say i like Nolan's hyper-realism approach. More fantasy is needed.

This realistic approach is what I love about his Batman films.

Nolan is certainly talented and he is an all rounder. He's good with all genres - action, drama and thrillers and has the ability to successfully blend the action, story, suspense and character work all in one film. He's perfect for a Bond movie.

Edited by Jack Spang, 10 July 2010 - 05:39 AM.

#48 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 06:19 AM

I suppose you're a big Joel Schumacher fan, then?

#49 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 01:20 PM

I suppose you're a big Joel Schumacher fan, then?

For Blueman, the more bat-nipples the better.

#50 Donovan

Donovan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 01:51 PM

I'd be all for this but, damn, why'd he have to go public with it? That's the kiss of death. Won't ever happen now.

#51 The ides of Mark

The ides of Mark

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 175 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 02:26 PM

Great, but unexpected soundbite!! This is potential dynamite, go for it!

Edited by The ides of Mark, 10 July 2010 - 03:25 PM.

#52 darthbond

darthbond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 05:18 PM

If this were true, I'd be fully behind this idea. Though I can't see EON getting a big name director. They have tended to go with lower key people. Maybe those who have done great movies, but not ones who are household names. For example, they passed on Steven Spielberg right after Jaws came out. I don't know, maybe it could happen, but I am not holding my breath.

darthbond

#53 Wade

Wade

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 05:35 PM

Why Nolan? Because he knows how to make drama look interesting.

That is precisely why Nolan is a great director. Sure, he makes mistakes. But his films blend stunning visuals and important drama better than any director I've seen in the past 30 years.

We've all seen important dramas than can knock an audience out faster than Ambien. We've also seen visually intriguing films that don't have the gross weight of a mouse hair. ("Speed Racer," anyone?)

Giving ideas and conflicts some kind of VISUAL representation is one of the hardest things about screenwriting or directing. You can't TALK about things in a movie like you can in a book, or even in a good TV series. (Zencat will give me an enthusiastic "amen" on this, I'll wager.)

Nolan can do both, and do both very well. He's still a fairly young director and has room to grow. But I just know that my experience -- and that of the audience around me -- of seeing "Dark Knight" in IMAX on the first day of its release was something I hadn't felt in decades of filmgoing. To paraphrase an old song, "he's got Stanley Kubrick eyes."

#54 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 06:12 PM

I know it's a pipe dream but I would love if Nolan did Bond. Not only is he my favorite director to come along in quite a few years, but his movies don't depress the crap out of me (Revolutionary Road).

#55 Jack Spang

Jack Spang

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 11:10 PM

There's nothing wrong with Eon going for a big name director providing he or she has the right vision for the film. I think Nolan would. He just seems ideal to me. Big name actors however are another matter entirely. Eon should stick to casting relatively unknowns in order to preserve the subtle realism in their films.

Edited by Jack Spang, 10 July 2010 - 11:10 PM.

#56 Emma

Emma

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 12:09 AM

I am all for Nolan directing a Bond film. Ever since I saw Batman Begins, I thought that he would be a perfect director for a film. And more to the point he's a huge James Bond fan.

#57 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 12:33 AM

If this were true, I'd be fully behind this idea. Though I can't see EON getting a big name director. They have tended to go with lower key people. Maybe those who have done great movies, but not ones who are household names. For example, they passed on Steven Spielberg right after Jaws came out. I don't know, maybe it could happen, but I am not holding my breath.

darthbond

Yes but EON (Barbara's EON) seems to be changing its views on directors these days. I could actually see this happening down the line if Nolan wants to do a Bond badly enough that he would be willing to take a pay cut. However I'm sure just attaching Nolan's name to a Bond film would probably gross at least another $100million worldwide.

#58 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 11:09 AM

Nolan is not a marquee name. He alone does not ensure business for his films. The fans may know him but the fans don't make up the bulk of the world's box office.

#59 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 02:23 PM

I think it's a fair point though, the vast, vast majority of directors are not marquee names. Bare in mind even the stars of The Dark Knight haven't set the box office on fire in their subsequent films.

#60 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 03:16 PM

I'm a massive fan of Nolan so i say let him have a go. Don't think it's likely though considering his very controlling nature for his films might be somewhat at odds with Bond which has been a very producer led franchise with only a few exceptions.