354 replies to this topic

#301 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:50 PM

Just thought I would mention, I am re-reading the entire series and I am starting with the first one. I am in love with this book series and anyone who hasn't read them yet.. SHAME ON YOU. READ THEM NOW. That is all.

#302 AgentBentley

AgentBentley

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:48 AM

Saw the Daniel Craig movie recently. Quite somber, but ok. Would like to see the original Swedish movie to compare.

Also, I haven't heard about the sequels being (re)made. Maybe the first one didn't make enough money, or the Stieg Larsson hype is already too far behind us?

#303 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:10 PM

That is certainly a good question...

#304 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:18 PM

The first film did decent, but I think the release date is what limited it to doing better. It's a hard to see a film of this nature during the holiday season when family films and such are being released.

#305 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:39 PM

Absolutely. The worst timing. Even though they tried to turn that into an advantage ("The feel-bad movie of the season"). 

But I also believe that the availability of the original films really hurt the remake. People who were interested in the stories had already seen these films and did not want to see the new film. Although that one, IMO, was so much better.

#306 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:53 PM

An October- early November release would have been much better. And I absolutely agree with the availability of the original Swedish films. I remember my film class teacher refusing to see this one because the others were already made, even though this is another retelling and adaption of the novel, then a straight remake.

I love both, but I prefer the North American film more, probably because of Rooney. 

#307 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:23 AM

I've been a little more optimistic since I heard Disney pulled the plug on Fincher's 20, 000 Leagues Under the Sea. Perhaps he'll return focus towards The Millennium Series. I hope he finds a way to make them his own a little different then the books and the original version like he has done with TGWTDT.

#308 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:55 AM

I´m afraid that too much time has passed for this series to have the necessary momentum to move forward.

#309 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:30 AM

I´m afraid that too much time has passed for this series to have the necessary momentum to move forward.

Agreed, although I wonder if there was ever really all that much momentum behind a sequel to begin with.

#310 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:16 AM

True. Maybe only if the film had turned out to be a huge success. 

Well, at least this opens up Craig´s schedule for Bond. If TGWTDT had needed two sequels in rather quick succession Craig would probably have needed more time between Bonds. Which would have threatened the length of his tenure since even now Bond films appear only every three years.

#311 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:24 PM

So is it safe to assume that we probably won't see a sequel then?

#312 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:20 PM

For now, I guess so.

#313 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:59 PM

I don't want to give up all hope just yet. I suppose they can make the first book as a stand alone film but not the 2nd without the 3rd. 

Perhaps they should have made it into a mini series... 

#314 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:55 AM

I haven't copied the link or the source, only recall it was a serious one ( deadline?) and according to that, they have a new writer on it, So obviously, they still want a sequel. Lets hope...I agree, the momentum is gone for now, but they can always campaign to rebuild it. It might have a better chance, because the 2 and 3 part of the Swedes were not liked a lot.

The film made 230 mill.

#315 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:59 AM

I agree that they can always build a campaign to rebuild momentum for a sequel.  It would probably be wise for them to avoid the whole "feel bad movie of Christmas" or whatever their campaign was the last time around, as I thought it was pretty clear that it wasn't going to work from the outset.  A better campaign and a release date that's not too far from the release of one of Craig's upcoming Bond films (so they can attach a trailer to said Bond film) might do the trick.

Did the article mention anything about Fincher possibly still being involved?

#316 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:37 AM

Last thing I heard about it I think they weren't too keen on having Fincher back. It's been said he wasn't overly concerned with schedule and budget. I doubt Fincher was solely responsible for the time it took to get TGWTDT on screen, but neither do I think he's entirely innocent of driving the budget upwards. At any rate it will be a tricky project to continue now. The Larsson hype is already a bit past, interest in this isn't that big any more. People who were curious either have seen the TV version or read the books. The only thing that might revive interest would probably be a new 'lost' book found or finished by Larsson's girlfriend Eva Gabrielsson, that might do the trick.

#317 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:37 AM

Here is the link and since its deadline, it should be accurate. I agree, no Fincher. They have to cut the budget down to maybe 50 mill to make a healthy profit. It could even be a good thing, the hype will be gone and people will have forgotten, what the next books are all about - hence they might be interested in finding out. With the first part - it was too much still in peoples minds and many were boycotting it even.

http://www.deadline....management-360/

There is still every hope she’ll reprise her role as goth heroine Lisbeth Salander, as Andrew Kevin Walker is working on a rewrite of that script for Sony.

#318 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:38 AM

I just want Rooney back, that's all.

#319 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:16 PM

If Fincher's not involved, I can't see myself getting too hyped for any future sequel to The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.  Assuming that the primary reason for getting rid of Fincher is to cut down on the budget, then I'd imagine that they'd be bringing in someone much less accomplished and all we'd end up getting from that is someone doing their best impression of David Fincher while also being a studio yes-man. 

#320 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:18 PM

@tdalton - don't agree AT ALL. Fincher is so costly, because he needs all these endless repeats and its not, that there aren't others, who can be as good with less. He has a reputation for it, so do you say, everybody else, who makes a film in less time, cannot be as good or better? Jez, it took him longer to make a non action film then it took them to do SF.

#321 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:31 PM

He has a reputation for it, so do you say, everybody else, who makes a film in less time, cannot be as good or better? 

I didn't say that there was nobody else that could make a decent sequel.  There are plenty of directors out there that could make a suitable sequel to The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo that aren't named David Fincher.  Now, I do think that they would have a hard time coming up with a better director than Fincher, but they could find a suitable replacement.  That said, if Fincher is replaced, I can't say that I'm at all interested in the sequel, as Fincher was pretty much my sole reason for being interested in The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo in the first place.

Since they appear to be in major cost-cutting mode with the sequel (there was even that story, although eventually refuted by Rooney Mara, that suggested that Craig's role could be recast in order to cut costs, which even though not true, would indicate that there are those out there who believe that there are serious issues related to the budget of this film), I don't think we're going to be looking at many highly acclaimed directors in the industry lining up to direct a sequel to a remake, especially one for which the hype for which has died down considerably and one which also doesn't have much box office appeal.  

Edited by tdalton, 18 June 2013 - 08:43 PM.

#322 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:37 PM

Box office appeal didn't sit too well due to it being released in the holiday season....

#323 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:37 AM

Last thing I heard about it I think they weren't too keen on having Fincher back. It's been said he wasn't overly concerned with schedule and budget. I doubt Fincher was solely responsible for the time it took to get TGWTDT on screen, but neither do I think he's entirely innocent of driving the budget upwards. At any rate it will be a tricky project to continue now. The Larsson hype is already a bit past, interest in this isn't that big any more. People who were curious either have seen the TV version or read the books. The only thing that might revive interest would probably be a new 'lost' book found or finished by Larsson's girlfriend Eva Gabrielsson, that might do the trick.

I've mentioned the 4th book before. From what I understand there is a 4th book 3/4's finished and Eva Gabrielsson believes she can finish it however because they weren't married and ironically Swedish law saws all rights go to Larsson's family who apparently did not approve of Larsson's relationship with Gabrielsson and wont let her finish the book. A forth book would certainly revive the series and give it an edge on the original Swedish film version however I try not to get my hopes up. I like to think all the delays with The Girl Who Played With Fire are because they are trying to get the rights to the 4th book but who knows. 

Has anyone read Eva Gabrielssons's '"There Are Things I Want You to Know" About Stieg Larsson and Me'? I haven't got around to it yet but there is supposedly lots of good stuff about Lisbeth Salander and details on the fourth book in there. 

At this point I don't really care who directs the sequels as long as we get them. 

#324 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:16 AM

Well, there were rumours that the actual writing of the series had been largely Gabrielsson's work while Larsson supposedly hadn't been that hot a writer, according to former colleagues. Word is he - again supposedly - had been just responsible for the concept and some ideas while the lion's share of the work had always been done by Gabrielsson.

It sounds a bit uncanny and may have been only an attempt to get a foot in the door of the decedent's estate. The only people knowing the truth about who did what work on the series would have been Larsson and Gabrielsson, and now it seems unlikely with this inheritance dispute that we're ever going to get the full picture.

Edited by Dustin, 19 June 2013 - 03:18 AM.

#325 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:54 AM

Well hopefully they'll at least finish by making the next 2 films even if that means no Fincher and a lower budget. I can already imagine another title sequence but with fire. 

I think the big thing about the next 2 films is that they are pretty much one long story, they wont want to do one without the other. I can't picture them doing the 2nd film and waiting 2 years to do the 3rd one or even not at all. 

#326 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:15 AM

He has a reputation for it, so do you say, everybody else, who makes a film in less time, cannot be as good or better? 

I didn't say that there was nobody else that could make a decent sequel.  There are plenty of directors out there that could make a suitable sequel to The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo that aren't named David Fincher.  Now, I do think that they would have a hard time coming up with a better director than Fincher, but they could find a suitable replacement.  That said, if Fincher is replaced, I can't say that I'm at all interested in the sequel, as Fincher was pretty much my sole reason for being interested in The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo in the first place.

Since they appear to be in major cost-cutting mode with the sequel (there was even that story, although eventually refuted by Rooney Mara, that suggested that Craig's role could be recast in order to cut costs, which even though not true, would indicate that there are those out there who believe that there are serious issues related to the budget of this film), I don't think we're going to be looking at many highly acclaimed directors in the industry lining up to direct a sequel to a remake, especially one for which the hype for which has died down considerably and one which also doesn't have much box office appeal.  

Spot on.

And I also believe that Fincher achieves great results because he is going for lots of details - which requires multiple takes. Ed Wood was a very quick director and look at his movies.

#327 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:38 AM

Like we already said, there are a lot directors out there, who can make a good film in a normal space of time and once the new script is ready, they will find that one. I can imagine them doing book 2 and 3 as one film, which wouldn't be a bad idea to start with. Time will tell.

#328 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:57 PM

I think that without Fincher the whole franchise will suffer. 

#329 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:12 PM

I think that without Fincher the whole franchise will suffer. 

Agreed.  Fincher is one of the best directors currently working in the industry and is going to be difficult to replace in terms of the talent that he brings to the production. 

#330 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:16 PM

Plus these books are really really dark and I just finished reading all three of them and they are dark. Fincher is really good with graphic material, therefore he is the perfect director for this. I hope that they make the second and the third one because I loved Daniel Craig as Blomkvist. I also want to watch the original swedish films to see if they were just as good as the american one.