This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

CARTE BLANCHE

2121 replies to this topic

Poll: Carte Blanche

Do you like the title and UK cover art?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Do you like the US cover art?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1921 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 10:32 PM

They tried for literary with DMC and it the fans didn't react to it well, sold well, but people were not happy. That book was a lot of things, but it was not fun.

But I don't think they did "try for literary" with DEVIL MAY CARE - that's one of the main problems with it.

Granted, with Faulks they had the perfect writer for a superior piece of literary fiction, but the resulting novel was no better - and no better written - than a Benson book. There's nothing remotely "literary" about DEVIL MAY CARE. It's a by-the-numbers affair that's very much aimed at people who know Bond purely through the films.

It has a conventional structure, a fast pace (to no effect, though, for the story is wholly uninteresting and there is no clever plotting), plenty of action scenes, and the prose is never anything more than workmanlike and lifeless.

The novel has no atmosphere, texture or resonance, and there is no characterisation worth a damn. It's about as literary as the DIE ANOTHER DAY novelization, indeed I'd say that the DIE ANOTHER DAY novelization is actually a considerably more vivid and exciting book, telling a much more gripping yarn (and it's more Flemingian, too).

And, yes, I think Faulks does go for "fun" (hamfistedly), insofar as his Bond is most definitely not to be taken seriously - indeed, he seems modelled on Moore circa OCTOPUSSY. Trouble is, though, Faulks fails to be funny. It's all very forced and knowing and tiresome. He comes across as though he's the first author ever to have written a Bond pastiche or tried to send up the character.

#1922 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:23 AM

is there going to be any reviewers ahead of the released date?

#1923 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:44 AM

Does not seem to be the case. If so, it probably won't be full reviews and probably only a day or two before release to whet the appetite. Maybe also a page or two as kind of ad in magazines and newspapers as with DMC at the time. Could be reviewers already have a copy, but are probably sworn to secrecy and mustn't publish/write/speak/blog/twitter about it before the 26th. Not sure if they are allowed to dream about it. Most likely not.

#1924 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:53 AM

Suspect there may be "exclusive extracts" as we had in (I think) The Times for Devil May Care, which from memory gave us quite a bit of the chapter with the tennis match in it; and despite such warning, I still bought it. Was roughly a weekend or two before publication.

#1925 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:17 PM

I'd be very surprised if something similar would not pop up with Carte Blanche too. Also I'd think IFP might come forward with the name to pick up after Deaver in the days around Carte Blanche's release. They will want to use the hype one suspects.

#1926 Jump James

Jump James

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:53 PM

I'd be very surprised if something similar would not pop up with Carte Blanche too. Also I'd think IFP might come forward with the name to pick up after Deaver in the days around Carte Blanche's release. They will want to use the hype one suspects.

You think they will name whoever it might be so soon....? One would have guessed that they liked the frivolity of the big Project X build up. IFP like to take their time over this sort of thing.

#1927 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 01:08 PM

I think the release is when they have the most attention without having to pay for it extra. I could be wrong there but that would be a nice moment to pull the lid on another secret. Keeps the media and public busy while they need not say more than a name.

#1928 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 01:21 PM

I doubt that Deaver's successor (if indeed a successor has been chosen) will be announced any time soon, let alone in the days around CARTE BLANCHE's release. Surely they'd want to keep the spotlight on Deaver and CARTE BLANCHE.

Apart from that, it would also seem a bit rude to Deaver. Wouldn't it rain on his parade and steal his thunder if Lee Child or someone were to simultaneously be announced as the next author and thus grab a huge amount of the media attention?

#1929 Jump James

Jump James

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 01:47 PM

I doubt that Deaver's successor (if indeed a successor has been chosen) will be announced any time soon, let alone in the days around CARTE BLANCHE's release. Surely they'd want to keep the spotlight on Deaver and CARTE BLANCHE.

Apart from that, it would also seem a bit rude to Deaver. Wouldn't it rain on his parade and steal his thunder if Lee Child or someone were to simultaneously be announced as the next author and thus grab a huge amount of the media attention?

Agreed. Can't see Jeffery Deaver being too chuffed if this happened. Doubt he would let it happen.

Any news on the launch day? Any boats going up the Thames with a clear briefcase with the book in? Or is this just dine to mark the 100th year of Fleming? Anyone invited?

Edited by Jump James, 12 May 2011 - 02:39 PM.

#1930 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 03:33 PM

Agreed. Can't see Jeffery Deaver being too chuffed if this happened. Doubt he would let it happen.

Any news on the launch day? Any boats going up the Thames with a clear briefcase with the book in? Or is this just dine to mark the 100th year of Fleming? Anyone invited?

Could be he's a bit miffed. But then it might be planned like that for some time. Maybe the next name is not in the same way known Deaver is or had to get some idea of his setting or will even have to pick up lose threads. Could also be IFP only announces the next release date, without the author's name. Or they announce another countdown for mid-2012 or whatever. On balance I'd say IFP will make some move to show they have further plans, whatever they may be in the end.

#1931 Jump James

Jump James

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 04:42 PM

Would be nice to get some firm confirmation on future plans for Lit Bond, just for comfort. (not that I think they will stop Bond continuation in the next 20 years at least)

#1932 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 05:55 PM

I think some kind of news will surface fairly soonish, if only to keep the stew softly boiling over. Carte Blanche is probably already a topseller with all the pre-orders and the big chains stocking up. So the follow up is surely already decided upon, whatever direction it may take in the end.

#1933 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:39 PM

Could be he's a bit miffed. But then it might be planned like that for some time. Maybe the next name is not in the same way known Deaver is or had to get some idea of his setting or will even have to pick up lose threads. Could also be IFP only announces the next release date, without the author's name. Or they announce another countdown for mid-2012 or whatever. On balance I'd say IFP will make some move to show they have further plans, whatever they may be in the end.

It'd be rather fun if the final page of Carte Blanche said something like:

"JAMES BOND WILL RETURN IN
'NO HOPE IN HELL'
BY TOMMY McWRITERMAN"

:D

#1934 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:26 PM

Amazon.co.uk Ranking in Books: 104 :tup:
Amazon.com Ranking in Books: 1,424 :|

#1935 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 11:46 PM

Couple bits of Carte Blanche news. That plot teaser that we so dissected here has been replaced. Also, Toby Stephens will read the U.S. audiobook.

what the reason why they taken down the plot teaser? maybe it fake or something?

If it was on the publishers website, it wasn't fake.

They just probably hadn't coordinated with all their publishers to hold back on posting blurbs until publication. Now they have.

The blurb is back and this time it's official.

Also confirmed that Toby Stephens is also reading the UK audiobook.

#1936 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 02:52 AM

interesting that they have it back up again.....but nothing new at all

#1937 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 01:37 PM

Amazon.co.uk Ranking in Books: 104 :tup:
Amazon.com Ranking in Books: 1,424 :|

Well there hasn't been too much marketing in North America. Hopefully as it gets close to the US release date the sales pick up.

#1938 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:33 PM

Italian cover art. I like that they did their own thing.

http://www.thebookbo...-with-love.html

#1939 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 10:40 PM

Italian cover looks great. I like the bullet holes.

#1940 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 02:34 PM

You know, all this started one year ago today.

#1941 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 03:34 PM

And what a SWEET ride it's been. The long days and months of surmise and anticipation? I wouldn't trade it for all the world, imo.

I've never been this excited for a literary Bond release ever and I've enjoyed every nuance of it. Looking forward to having the book in my hands, reading the CBn, The Book Bond, Amazon, B&N reviews, and posting my own as well when I finish Carte Blanche. :D

Edited by TheREAL008, 21 May 2011 - 03:35 PM.

#1942 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 04:00 PM

You know, all this started one year ago today.

Wow, that really went by quick!

#1943 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 05:32 PM

I am excited, but trying to stay objective on this. I do enjoy his work and all signs point to yes, but still I have to hold back a bit. Faulks ring a bell?

#1944 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 02:16 AM

what time on 26 is the book released in London? and what time Western (Canada and USA time?)

#1945 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 06:02 AM

what time on 26 is the book released in London? and what time Western (Canada and USA time?)

Probably what ever time bookstores open. That's how it was with DMC. Go get in line. :P

#1946 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 07:45 AM

Mr Deaver's being interviewed as studio guest on Radio 5Live on Wednesday from 2 pm BST.

#1947 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 12:28 PM

The wait for the US release is driveing me a bit crazy here. Reading John LeCarre in the mean time (A Most Wanted Man).

Edited by OmarB, 22 May 2011 - 12:28 PM.

#1948 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 04:53 PM

Today's Sunday Times interview with Deaver and book preview reveals, amongst other minor things:

Spoiler

Oh, and Deaver thinks, as a way of suggesting lit. Bond is not the bed-hopping rogue of the films, in the original books Bond was married TWICE?

Was he? Don't remember the second 'un.

#1949 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 05:19 PM

Maybe he is refering to Suzuki? They did have a son after all.

#1950 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 05:54 PM

Maybe he is refering to Suzuki? They did have a son after all.

Well, Fleming had her pregnant. And though Pearson and Benson had the child conceived, Amis and Gardner made no mention. And, more importantly, neither did Fleming. ;)

But Deaver could also have meant Vesper. Didn't Bond/wasn't Bond going to propose? Or maybe Flicka Von Grusse?

Or maybe Jeff was just misquoted.

Either way, to my knowledge, James Bond has only said "I do" once.