This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

John Gardner 30th Anniversary Editions

311 replies to this topic

Poll: Gardner reprints?

Would you like to see John Gardner 30th Anniversary reprints in 2011?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 03:23 PM

Surely Zencat do you really need another set of books cluttering up your shelves, of which you most probably have countless editions of just to satisfy your collectors mania. All they will do is collect dust. Mine do.

For me, per-say, as I don't have the complete collection I would like to see them re-printed and given a chance to read them all and draw my own conclusions. I dont think this is as much about the collectors. For me it's more about reaching the people that have not read them or didn't even know that there were more Bond books written. The one's that I do own have been sourced from book fairs. So I would bite an arm off to be able to get brand new paperbacks. Get the Penguin logo dusted off. B)

Yes, exactly, well put DAN. I know my top post makes it seem I'm pushing for some special collectors editions, and while I'd love that (because, yes, I do have "collector mania"), I'd also be happy with a set of paperbacks with "30th Anniversary" stamped on them, you know? It's really about getting these books back in print so fans of the lit Bond (and maybe there's a new generation thanks to YB, etc.) can read them.

#32 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 03:31 PM

Yes, exactly, well put DAN. I know my top post makes it seem I'm pushing for some special collectors editions, and while I'd love that (because, yes, I do have collector mania), I'd also be happy with a set of paperbacks with "30th Anniversary" stamped on them, you know? It's really about getting these books back in print so fans of the lit Bond (and maybe there's a new generation thanks to YB and DMC) can read them.

Zen, I'm not trying to be mendacious (got that word some years ago from IF's QOS!), but don't these things really stand or fall on what they achieved in the first place, how popular they were: if they'd been so good, would they have ever gone out of print or been more talked-about anyways? Those that weren't "there" at the time can always use today's 'Iain Campbell" - ABE books.

#33 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 03:44 PM

I think anything with "James Bond" on the cover is commercially viable. And Young Bond and DMC have shown continuation novels can do very well when properly marketed. We have fourteen James Bond books that haven't been in print for over 20 years. I think this is an opportunity for a smart publisher. Now, they'd need to run the numbers and figure out what sales would be and what kinds of editions would work economically, but that's the business. The reprint business. They know how to do it.

You know, Titan is doing something very interesting with Sherlock Holmes. They scooped up the publishing rights to several long out-of-print pastiche novels and have reprinted them as a uniform "Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" series. Now, I doubt they are making a fortune off these, but they are doing well enough to keep printing them, and it's great to have some of these books back in print (even though they're not all masterpieces).

#34 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 04:15 PM

You know, it wouldn't surprise me if publishers are actually chomping at the bit to reprint these. They are James Bond novels after-all. But we know IFP has been focused on Fleming reprints and their continuation properties, so it maybe its the case that they are holding them back from interested publishers. And that makes sense. Don't want to confuse the market with so many "new" Bond books.

But the last "new" Bond book was three years ago -- four in 2011. Unless there is something new cooking (and I don't think there is), the time is perfect for Gardner's return. And with the "30th Anniversary" hook...would almost seem odd for them not to do this. (I'm really talking myself into this now. B))

#35 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 04:23 PM

You know, it wouldn't surprise me if publishers are actually chomping at the bit to reprint these. They are James Bond novels after-all. But we know IFP has been focused on Fleming reprints and their continuation properties, so it maybe its the case that they are holding them back from interested publishers. And that makes sense. Don't want to confuse the market with so many "new" Bond books.

But the last "new" Bond book was three years ago -- four in 2011. Unless there is something new cooking (and I don't think there is), the time is perfect for Gardner's return. And with the "30th Anniversary" hook...would almost seem odd for them not to do this. (I'm really talking myself into this now. B))

Honestly, though, Zen, I wouldn't know how to market the Gardners.

What would your hook be? (The Titan Holmes reprints are, I humbly suggest, a different, nichey thing again).

I COULD have seen a bells and whistles, boxed leather-bound Licence Renewed in 1981 - it was that good - but they didn't do that stuff then, but now...?

#36 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 04:26 PM

What would your hook be?

James Bond 007

As well as calling them "30th Anniversary Editions" and playing up Gardner's legacy.

Come on. Isn't this clear enough?

#37 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 04:41 PM

What would your hook be?

James Bond 007

As well as calling them "30th Anniversary Editions" and playing up Gardner's legacy.

Come on. Isn't this clear enough?

Why not add:

The "DIFFERENT BOND FROM THE SAME STABLE" B)

#38 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 04:42 PM

Perfect. B)

James Bond 007 - Star of Devil May Care

#39 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 04:53 PM

Yes, exactly, well put DAN. I know my top post makes it seem I'm pushing for some special collectors editions, and while I'd love that (because, yes, I do have collector mania), I'd also be happy with a set of paperbacks with "30th Anniversary" stamped on them, you know? It's really about getting these books back in print so fans of the lit Bond (and maybe there's a new generation thanks to YB and DMC) can read them.

Zen, I'm not trying to be mendacious (got that word some years ago from IF's QOS!), but don't these things really stand or fall on what they achieved in the first place, how popular they were: if they'd been so good, would they have ever gone out of print or been more talked-about anyways? Those that weren't "there" at the time can always use today's 'Iain Campbell" - ABE books.

I dont think being out of print is always the measure of a good or bad book. Take Dennis Wheatley for example
Click here!
A prolific writer back in the day and now where are his books? As you mentioned only on ABE books and eBay etc. And he was a big name back then.

I undertand where you are coming from David, I just, like Zen, beleive that there is a market for these books out there. I am thinking of the casual browser in a book shop looking for a thriller. The Peguiun 007 logo and James Bond might just draw him/her in. That's how I came to reading Fleiming's because of the new wave of paperbacks by Peguin with the new introductions. This I think can work for the Gardner Novels. And I think the 30th is a great time to do it!

#40 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 05:07 PM

Simon Gardner just posted this on my Facebook. Thought I'd share here:

I am always taken aback for the continued support of my Father's work. Thank You from all of the Family

B)

#41 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 05:23 PM

Simon Gardner just posted this on my Facebook. Thought I'd share here:

I am always taken aback for the continued support of my Father's work. Thank You from all of the Family

B)

That's good news Zencat.

I am only guessing, but didn't John Gardner's Moriarty go out of print at one point? Great to see its back in print and available at Amazon. So if it was done for Moriarty it can most defiantly be done for Bond.

#42 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 05:30 PM

I believe that's the new Moriarty book (his third). I think the other two, Return and Revenge, are out of print.

#43 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 06:23 PM

Sorry, but I don't really see this happening; not for the entire run. Perhaps I'm too sceptical at this, but I'd argue there is no way one can persuade IFP to throw a whole 14 novels on the market.

And even if they were to go with the idea, there'd be the question of the varying quality of the entries. A publisher would not necessarily be interested in all of them, and might demand to have his pick, making it a 'John Gardner JAMES BOND Selection' rather than a 'John Gardner JAMES BOND Collection'.

The only way I could imagine seeing all Gardners back in print would be 2 or even 3 novel omnibusses, the way the Desmond Bagleys are reprinted currently. And even this would probably be given a trial run with one or two volumes to test the ice and judge on the market potential, before the publisher decides to go deeper.

#44 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 06:51 PM

Well at the very least I would hope for a couple of Trilogy's being released like Benson's Choice of Weapons/Union Trilogy. Would it cost IFP a lot just for a trial run in a few of the High Street stores? I like the idea of a trial run Trident.

#45 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 07:31 PM

Well at the very least I would hope for a couple of Trilogy's being released like Benson's Choice of Weapons/Union Trilogy. Would it cost IFP a lot just for a trial run in a few of the High Street stores? I like the idea of a trial run Trident.

Well, if one would want to test the ice, then one would surely want to do it with the start. So, a possible Gardner double-feature would have to have LR and IB, by some fans considered the best (although it was the start of the ignominious TCV (Triple-Cross Virus ™ ). I think those two are reasonably good stand-alone books that give an idea of Gardner's version of Bond and the missing FSS isn't really missed at all there.

FSS of course would then have to be the start of Gardner's SPECTRE trilogy, containing FSS, ROH and NLF. That one also should be a halfway-decent read that could get fans into the mood for more of the same, while it already hints at some of Gardner's favourite plot elements.

If these two should sell satisfyingly, then a publisher could take a risk at the others, most likely coupling a stronger entry with one or two lesser ones.

#46 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 08:06 PM

I have yet to meet the tripple crosses as I have only read as far as FSS. And I enjoyed the first two a great deal. The SPECTRE set has a good ring to it naturaly.

#47 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 08:21 PM

I have yet to meet the tripple crosses as I have only read as far as FSS. And I enjoyed the first two a great deal. The SPECTRE set has a good ring to it naturaly.

On second thought, I'd rather set this in spoiler tags, not wanting to rob you of the experience.

Spoiler

But as an omnibus I indeed think the concept might work.

#48 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 08:53 PM

I'm not a fan of the omnibus idea. They just so rob the books of their individual identities. And they are always unwieldy 700 page affairs, very uncomfortable to read and transport. Just not a fan at all.

#49 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 09:29 PM

I support the idea, although I doubt I would purchase the collection myself. I have a set of reprints of Fleming's Richard Chopping first editions, so I was not interested in the recent reprints. I also own genuine British first editions of Gardner's canon (I did have two of the uniform American covers, but I got rid of them), so unless the covers were especially attractive I wouldn't bite.

However, every time I'm in a bookstore I always check to see what's available under B, F, G and H. I like to know that the books are out there for those who want them.

#50 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 09:33 PM

Dam it your right in that sense Zencat. I have a copy of Raymond's Union Trilogy and I haven't read it yet as I find it a little to bulky to take to work and read. I like something I can slip into my manbag and take out and read in my lunch hour. Yes I said manbag dam it.

Would be nice to see a poll on her like you suggested Zencat.

I support the idea, although I doubt I would purchase the collection myself. I have a set of reprints of Fleming's Richard Chopping first editions, so I was not interested in the recent reprints. I also own genuine British first editions of Gardner's canon (I did have two of the uniform American covers, but I got rid of them), so unless the covers were especially attractive I wouldn't bite.

However, every time I'm in a bookstore I always check to see what's available under B, F, G and H. I like to know that the books are out there for those who want them.

Well said AMC, I think the main point is to see them back in print for readers like myself who havent read them all yet.

#51 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 09:37 PM

PS: Although I too find omnibuses unwieldy, the thought of seeing the first nine in trilogies is intriguing. Go ahead and scramble the first six, but let Scorpius, Win Lose or Die and Brokenclaw stand together. IMCO they were Gardner's best three in a row.

Failing that put Licence Renewed, Nobody Lives Forever and Win Lose or Die together as his best three period (IMCO).

Let the debates begin!

#52 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 09:47 PM

Would be nice to see a poll on her like you suggested Zencat.

Poll added! (Didn't realize I could do it myself.)

#53 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 09:53 PM

Thats cool, already voted. Just need more memebers on board........

#54 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 09:58 PM

Some of you may have missed the link to this on the previous page:

Do you want to see John Gardner's 14 original James Bond novels reprinted in the near future? If so, follow @GardnerRenewed on Twitter to join the campaign!

#55 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 10:07 PM

Count me in on the John Gardner 30th anniversary edition bandwagon. I think it's a great idea, especially since it doesn't seem like we'll be getting any new Bond adventures in the foreseeable future. :tdown: B)

Anyway, I'm another one of those who got their start into literary Bond via Gardner. In my case it was No Deals, Mr. Bond as a birthday gift from my sister. I greatly enjoyed it (as I would all his 007 books) and it spurred me on to get the rest of his series and, of course, Ian Fleming's (and Kingsley Amis' and John Pearson's and Christopher Wood's novels :) ).

I'd highly recommend doing the new set either in an '80s retro style or in a '50s pulp style much like Richie Fahey's covers for Fleming's Penguin reprints. Heck, just get Fahey to do it again. That would be great! If the publishers did anything like that, I'd be the first in line to buy them.

Great idea zencat. :tdown:

#56 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 10:14 PM

If it were to happen - I wonder if IFP would be more inclined to do a limited print run (like their 2009 printings of Thrilling Cities and The Diamond Smugglers--although not quite that limited) or just go for a regular mass reprint...

#57 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 11:45 PM

Sorry, but I don't really see this happening; not for the entire run. Perhaps I'm too sceptical at this, but I'd argue there is no way one can persuade IFP to throw a whole 14 novels on the market.

And even if they were to go with the idea, there'd be the question of the varying quality of the entries. A publisher would not necessarily be interested in all of them, and might demand to have his pick, making it a 'John Gardner JAMES BOND Selection' rather than a 'John Gardner JAMES BOND Collection'.

Hate to compromise on my master vision but, yes, if all 14 just isn't economically feasible, I say do the first five and test the waters. Licence Renewed, For Special Services, Icebreaker, Role of Honor, Nobody Lives Forever. Very different books, each one terrific in its own way. I could live with this. B)

#58 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 12:04 AM

Hate to compromise on my master vision but, yes, if all 14 just isn't economically feasible, I say do the first five and test the waters. Licence Renewed, For Special Services, Icebreaker, Role of Honor, Nobody Lives Forever. Very different books, each one terrific in its own way. I could live with this. B)

It'd be funny if they just did the LAST five instead. Bet that would piss off a few people.

#59 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 12:20 AM

Way back in the days of Benson, I always lamented the lack of marketing on the Bond novels. As zencat said, "JAMES BOND 007" should market itself (with a bit of a push, anyway).

The thing with reissuing the Gardners is that they would have to be marketed as period novels. The Flemings are Flemings and understood to be set in the 1950s and 1960s, while the Benson novels are recent enough to be marketed as contemporary thrillers (see the recent omnibus rereleases). But Gardner's '80s-set Bond is a bit of a tougher sell.

Didn't someone here (zencat?) once come up with an idea to market all the Bond books as a uniform set of cheap airport novels? I guess something like that could work here. Slap on a budget price tag and market them in a retro kind of way. Not to cheapen Gardner's contribution to the Bond saga, but a more lucrative (and realistic) market here would be travellers and commuters rather than literary collectors.

(Oh, and how about some love for Colonel Sun? A Bond novel by Kingsley Amis should still be marketable today!)

#60 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 12:24 AM

Didn't someone here (zencat?) once come up with an idea to market all the Bond books as a uniform set of cheap airport novels? I guess something like that could work here. Slap on a budget price tag and market them in a retro kind of way. Not to cheapen Gardner's contribution to the Bond saga, but a more lucrative (and realistic) market here would be travellers and commuters rather than literary collectors.

I think I was pitching down and dirty movie tie-in originals. Not anything having to do with the existing continuation novels. Can't find the thread. But I recall it was another BRILLIANT idea. B)

EDIT: Found it.