180 replies to this topic

#151 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 03:45 AM

Re: Clock face chapter headings - thanks, it was my idea, executed in Illustrator by Delmo Walters, Jr., aka The Saint here on CBn.

You're welcome, it was quite inspired -- it was meant to reference both the clock face in the titles and the clock in Berne, right?

Re: The formatting nitpicks. I was trying to meet a deadline, and had to switch printers at the last minute. Sorry it spoiled things for you. I wasn't pleased either.

It didn't spoil things for me, but I worry about the nitpickers out there, who always thrive upon minor mistakes by other people and blow them out of proportion... :S

Now it's my turn to ask YOU a question. With praise from Bond luminaries like Graham Rye, Raymond Benson, John Cork, tons of people here on CBn, etc., why did it take you a year to order the book?

Due to the price, I was working up the courage to ask my parents for Christmas; there was also the issue between you and spynovelfan earlier this year, but that's been forgotten, thankfully. I realized how prejudiced I might have been not considering to buy such a wonderful-sounding book, and so asked for it this year, when I knew the 'rents would be able to pay for it -- with expensive presents, you do have to space them out in order to actually regain money for the next one, but they (like your book) are always worth it. :)

As an addendum, were it not for the wondeful historically-considered location and plot ideas you so meticulously compiled, a group of us here on CB.n would not have been able to produce this... so, thank you. B)

#152 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 03:48 AM

I worry about the nitpickers out there, who always thrive upon minor mistakes by other people and blow them out of proportion... :S

I hope I'm not the only one who appreciates the irony of this statement. :D

#153 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 04:01 AM

...the nitpickers out there, who always thrive upon minor mistakes by other people and blow them out of proportion...

You described yourself perfectly. :tup:

#154 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 24 January 2011 - 05:49 PM

Message to doublenoughtspy - I've just this minute ordered your book as my 49th birthday present. Other men address a mid life crisis by buying a motorbike or an open top sports car - I, on the other hand, have ordered "The Making Of On Her Majesty's Secret Service"! Besides, by all accounts it should provide an interesting insight into the very first Bond film I ever saw.

Edited by Guy Haines, 24 January 2011 - 05:50 PM.

#155 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:50 PM

Message to doublenoughtspy - I've just this minute ordered your book as my 49th birthday present. Other men address a mid life crisis by buying a motorbike or an open top sports car - I, on the other hand, have ordered "The Making Of On Her Majesty's Secret Service"! Besides, by all accounts it should provide an interesting insight into the very first Bond film I ever saw.

Thank you, Guy, and Happy Birthday!

I salute your good taste, and I hope my book will be an entertaining (and safer!) substitute for a motorbike!

#156 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:54 PM

Great approach to a mid life crisis!

#157 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:33 AM

I salute your good taste, and I hope my book will be an entertaining (and safer!) substitute for a motorbike!

Thank you. Actually, it should be a good read and a distraction in between work and my other main concern at the moment, the other Bond fan in our family, namely my mother, who is, frankly, not at all well at the moment. I'm doing what I can for her. I think she might find your book interesting too, given that she took me to see OHMSS at our local fleapit 40 odd years ago (correction - I nagged her into it, and Bond has grown on her ever since!)

#158 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:45 PM

Further reply to your reply. The book arrived yesterday and I've started to peruse it. I'm very impressed and intrigued so far. There are photographs and references in there that I didn't even know existed! The photo of Lazenby as Big Fry was amusing, and the pictures of the Corgi toy tie ins brought back happy memories (I had that set of cars and bobsleighs as a nipper, and wish I still did.)

I found the screen treatment chapter very interesting. Did I detect, throughout, a wish to rely on one particular actor as Bond's antagonist for OHMSS? Not that I'm convinced it would have worked, but it is interesting that his proposed casting pre-dated another Bond film for which he was also considered.

#159 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 04:25 AM

I ordered the book over the weekend using the author's book website which links directly to Amazon:
http://www.ohmss.info/buy.html

This is a great way to support the author for this awesome project. The price is the same as going directly to Amazon. If you are interested in the book please take a moment to order it this way.

I'm really looking forward to the read. i think I'll watch the film this week to prepare for the book!

I think I'm most interested in reading about the development of the script and also the fallout with George and the producers!

#160 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:35 PM

and also the fallout with George and the producers!

Alas, that's not really mentioned... :S

#161 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 06:14 PM

and also the fallout with George and the producers!

Alas, that's not really mentioned... :S

I suggest you re-read it Mr. Blofeld. There is plenty there on George's Svengali, Ronan O' Rahilly, who recommended George quit the role, the producers confiscating Lazenby's motorcycle, Saltzman talking about finishing the film without Lazenby, etc. etc.

#162 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:28 PM

I suggest you re-read it Mr. Blofeld. There is plenty there on George's Svengali, Ronan O' Rahilly, who recommended George quit the role, the producers confiscating Lazenby's motorcycle, Saltzman talking about finishing the film without Lazenby, etc. etc.

That is mentioned, more towards the press side, true, but I would've liked to have heard more from Lazenby on how disgruntled he became... but that's just me. :)

I have a few questions about OHMSS, generally, as well, but I don't know if I'd be able to cram them all into this post... :S

#163 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:58 PM

Or you could just leave be and appreciate what you got.

#164 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 01:15 AM

but I would've liked to have heard more from Lazenby on how disgruntled he became... but that's just me. :)

Yes, those evil producers paid him a nice salary, put him up in 5 star hotels, gave him a limo and driver, FORCED him to film love scenes with Diana Rigg. Poor, poor fellow.

I imagine we'll get more details when his biography comes out. As to how accurate it will be, I'll quote one of Eon's publicity men, who, before filming even began, told the press that "George tends to exaggerate..."

#165 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 02:57 AM

Even he said the fame went to his head. :P

Now... my questions (that is, if you'll answer them):

1. Why the kneeling gunbarrel? Whose idea was that?
2. Whose idea was it for the producers' credit on the gunbarrel?
3. Why was the gunbarrel so different, in coloring, etc.? If this was meant to differentiate Lazenby from Connery, why was it then reused, albeit saturated blue, in DAF?
4. At what point did the chronology of the opening scenes shift from the novel's ordering to the finished film's ordering?
5. Did Peter Hunt purposefully wish to ignore YOLT in the chronology? If so, why didn't Maurice Binder get that memo (he included footage from it in his titles sequence)?
6. Also, if the above is the case, why were the "O.H.M.S.S." folder from Thunderball and the mini-safecracker from YOLT used in the "Bond's desk" scene (and then deleted from the sequence, although they're still visible)?
7. Was the "Someplace to laze about... beachcombing" line a purposeful pun on the then-new Bond actor's name, or am I just misreading it?
8. I'm confused about how the barn scene was shot; I can see the interiors were on a Pinewood stage, but where were the exteriors shot?
9. Is any of the deleted footage still extant, considering how much is left from DAF just two years later?
10. Was the beach scene in FYEO, with a Land Rover sideswiping Bond and knocking him over after the death of a "Contessa", a deliberate reference from Richard Maibaum to his DAF PTS concept?

Sorry if the questions are dumb, or if you can't answer them; I'm only curious -- and you can ignore them, if you'd like.

#166 NorthoftheThames

NorthoftheThames

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 06:07 PM

That is mentioned, more towards the press side, true, but I would've liked to have heard more from Lazenby on how disgruntled he became... but that's just me. :)

I have a few questions about OHMSS, generally, as well, but I don't know if I'd be able to cram them all into this post... :S

I suspect if he indeed pens his memoirs, we'll get some more juicy details. I know in the book "For Your Eyes Only: Behind the Scenes of the James Bond Films", George Lazenby was pretty honest and forthcoming with journalist David Giammarco about the entire Bond experience. Given the clarity of time and distance, Lazenby was quite upfront about his many silly mistakes, arrogance and relationship breakdowns during and after "OHMSS". His stories about working with Peter Hunt were particularly interesting. But in the FYEO book, Peter Hunt's memories tend to contradict George's memories...sort of like a 'he said/she said' relationship.

#167 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:18 PM

Attached File  Pinewood7.jpg   582.2KB   20 downloads

I met George Lazenby at Pinewood Studios in 1994 for a Bond fan club convention. He obviously talked at some length about the film and making it. I was impressed by how honest he seemed about the whole OHMSS experience. He wasn't the sort of bloke who came across as making excuses for himself - he told it how it was from his perspective from what I remember. That was the first time I became aware of the influence Ronan O'rielly had upon Lazenby. He also explained the Diana Rigg garlic story and how the press blew that out of all proportion.

#168 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:33 AM

But in the FYEO book, Peter Hunt's memories tend to contradict George's memories...sort of like a 'he said/she said' relationship.

I don't think it's accurate to use memories plural. There is but a single contradiction. Lazenby claims Hunt never spoke to him or gave him direction after an incident during the first week of shooting, and that everything was done through an assistant director.

Hunt points out that the statement is false.

My book has dozens of photographs of the two of them talking throughout filming, and specific shots of Hunt giving Lazenby direction.

Every other cast & crew member that I've talked to said Hunt and Lazenby talked throughout making of the film, and that Lazenby's claim is false.

#169 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:36 AM

I am really enjoying the book!!!

Great stuff and awesome pictures!!

I cannot believe how foolish George Lazenby was. I just can't get over the fact that he turned down a 7 picture deal!!!

: )

It would be fun to put together similar books for Diamonds on up through the series...

I'm sure some films have a lot more stories to tell than others.

I really like reading about the marketing. It's cool to have info about the soundtrack releases, press books and the radio spots!!

#170 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 03:22 PM

I cannot believe how foolish George Lazenby was. I just can't get over the fact that he turned down a 7 picture deal!!!

It would be fun to put together similar books for Diamonds on up through the series...

I really like reading about the marketing. It's cool to have info about the soundtrack releases, press books and the radio spots!!

Thank you Scaramanga, I'm so pleased to have another satisfied reader.

I'm glad you are enjoying the marketing chapter - I know that is something you are into. OHMSS was a somewhat challenging film to market - since Lazenby wasn't going to continue.

#171 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:12 PM

I'm glad you are enjoying the marketing chapter - I know that is something you are into. OHMSS was a somewhat challenging film to market - since Lazenby wasn't going to continue.

Agreed. I was just reading over about the marketing again as well. At least Diana Rigg was marketable at the time.

I also am curious on something that maybe is more between the lines and not actually stated. It really seems that Saltzman, UA and others involved with the film really didn't want George back. At what point was a 7 picture deal for Bond offered to George? Was it always on the table until George resigned?

I know George announced to newspaper that he would be resigning from the role. However, it really seems that George was really hard to work with in many regards. With the films other problems in terms of schedule, etc is there really any way George would've been asked back or made another Bond film even if he hadn't resigned?

It almost seems to me that no matter what George's decision was he would not be making another Bond film.

I also am curious about Peter Hunt. Was the films reception at the time part or all of the reasoning why he was not asked back to direct Diamonds?

It really seems that OHMSS was a hard film to make and it seemed to take a long time to make and was a bit over budget as well? Perhaps these were the more key decisions to not having Peter Hunt come back to direct a 2nd Bond film?

Thanks!!

#172 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:36 PM

Oh, one more belated question, Charles:

11. When (and why) did de Bleuville become de Bleuchamp?

#173 Bon-san

Bon-san

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4124 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 03:01 AM

I want one.

I, too!

#174 Bon-san

Bon-san

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4124 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 03:43 AM

there was also the issue between you and spynovelfan earlier this year, but that's been forgotten, thankfully.

Jeremy seems to have gone. What have I missed? Very sad.

#175 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 08:17 AM

there was also the issue between you and spynovelfan earlier this year, but that's been forgotten, thankfully.

Jeremy seems to have gone. What have I missed? Very sad.

Long story. Where have you been, Bon-san??

#176 Jump James

Jump James

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:23 PM

Just noticed that the price has been reduced to £35.05 for The Making of "On Her Majesty's Secret Service". It's a bargain. It was worth the original price tag. The reviews and hype aren't just hype. This really is the best making of book ever.

http://www.amazon.co...09551356&sr=1-1

Only only one left! :o

#177 Col. Sun

Col. Sun

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 07:47 AM

Agreed. I was just reading over about the marketing again as well. At least Diana Rigg was marketable at the time.

I also am curious on something that maybe is more between the lines and not actually stated. It really seems that Saltzman, UA and others involved with the film really didn't want George back. At what point was a 7 picture deal for Bond offered to George? Was it always on the table until George resigned?

I know George announced to newspaper that he would be resigning from the role. However, it really seems that George was really hard to work with in many regards. With the films other problems in terms of schedule, etc is there really any way George would've been asked back or made another Bond film even if he hadn't resigned?

It almost seems to me that no matter what George's decision was he would not be making another Bond film.

I also am curious about Peter Hunt. Was the films reception at the time part or all of the reasoning why he was not asked back to direct Diamonds?

It really seems that OHMSS was a hard film to make and it seemed to take a long time to make and was a bit over budget as well? Perhaps these were the more key decisions to not having Peter Hunt come back to direct a 2nd Bond film?

Thanks!!

In late '98, Michael G Wilson, John Glen and, if I recall correctly, Peter Lamont, were on stage at the NFT on London's South Bank. It was just as they were about to start TWINE and they were doing a Q&A following a screening of, I think, Dr. No. Anyway, one of the audience asked MGW if Lazenby was ever asked to return to play Bond. MGW said, "No. They never asked George Lazenby to do a second Bond." MGW seemed absolutely certain of this.

#178 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 03:56 AM

Thanks!!

In late '98, Michael G Wilson, John Glen and, if I recall correctly, Peter Lamont, were on stage at the NFT on London's South Bank. It was just as they were about to start TWINE and they were doing a Q&A following a screening of, I think, Dr. No. Anyway, one of the audience asked MGW if Lazenby was ever asked to return to play Bond. MGW said, "No. They never asked George Lazenby to do a second Bond." MGW seemed absolutely certain of this.

Makes sense. I'm guessing Peter Hunt was not asked back due to his handling of the film. Taking too long, etc. Seems like OHMSS had a very long shoot.

#179 robdread

robdread

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 11:55 AM

Recently purchased the book through Barnes and Noble. It's well worth the money spent. The research and thoroughness is impressive. I've really enjoyed the book. Great job!

#180 Lektor

Lektor

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:41 AM

Well OHMSS is my favourite James Bond movie (acctually one of my fav. movies all time Bond or not). Just found out about this book and ordered it right away after reading in this thread, Wonderful :)