79 replies to this topic

#31 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:49 PM

Nah, I don't think so. You can't bring back the dead. Not even in movies.

Tell that to all four (possibly more) Blofelds.

#32 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 12:52 AM

For me, he was one of the least frightening of the henchmen, unorthodox dental arrangement notwithstanding.

I think Jaws was the most frightening (TSWLM) AND the least frightening (MR) henchman ever.

I agree with you regarding Moonraker. But he didn't cut it for me in TSWLM either. For every scene where Jaws was genuinely scary, there would be another where the character is made to look foolish by the film makers.

For the record, I think the most frightening henchman was Robert Shaw's Red Grant in FRWL. When the mask of "Captain Nash" drops and Grant is revealed, we know Bond is in serious trouble.

Oddly enough, a film reviewer here in the UK said that, for him, one of the reasons Daniel Craig's portrayal of Bond worked was that you could easily imagine him as a Bond villain. Did he have Shaw's portrayal of Grant in mind, I wonder?

Now, if they could re-boot Red Grant, the old Moon mad killer himself.......!!

Played by Daniel Craig himself (as well as playing Bond) to function as a stalker/look-alike of Bond?

#33 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 12:55 AM

No, they should not bring back Jaws, but they should definitely bring back Dolly B)

#34 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 01:27 AM

I'd prefer a Dolly cam instead of a handheld camera.

#35 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 01:34 AM

I'd prefer a Dolly cam instead of a handheld camera.

I agree with you there.

#36 jamie00007

jamie00007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:41 AM

If he was played by this man:
Posted Image
Than I'd be totally up for it.

#37 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:12 AM

For me, he was one of the least frightening of the henchmen, unorthodox dental arrangement notwithstanding.

I think Jaws was the most frightening (TSWLM) AND the least frightening (MR) henchman ever.

I agree with you regarding Moonraker. But he didn't cut it for me in TSWLM either. For every scene where Jaws was genuinely scary, there would be another where the character is made to look foolish by the film makers.

For the record, I think the most frightening henchman was Robert Shaw's Red Grant in FRWL. When the mask of "Captain Nash" drops and Grant is revealed, we know Bond is in serious trouble.

Oddly enough, a film reviewer here in the UK said that, for him, one of the reasons Daniel Craig's portrayal of Bond worked was that you could easily imagine him as a Bond villain. Did he have Shaw's portrayal of Grant in mind, I wonder?

Played by Daniel Craig himself (as well as playing Bond) to function as a stalker/look-alike of Bond?

Now there's an idea. Raymond Benson tried it in the novel "Doubleshoot", didn't he?

#38 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:21 AM

Nah, I don't think so. You can't bring back the dead. Not even in movies.

Jaws didn’t die. There’s a line that explains an American shuttle rescued him and Dolly. Not that it matters though, since this is a reboot.

#39 RJJB

RJJB

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 475 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:43 PM

Why would you want to re-introduce a farcical character to the series? Jaws worked in the Moore cartoons. Let's leave him and his kind there.

#40 Rufus Ffolkes

Rufus Ffolkes

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 297 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 05:04 PM

I liked Jaws well enough in Spy, but with Moonraker he already did one film too many. Leave him in the 70s, where he belongs.

I'd like to see the return of an intimidating henchman, but they'd have to completely rethink the concept. Maybe go the opposite route and get someone who doesn't seem the least bit physically threatening but still exudes a creepy sense of menace - something like the Elijah Wood character in Sin City.

#41 MajorB

MajorB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3700 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:05 PM

To quote Noel Coward: No. No. No.

#42 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:08 PM

Nah, not with Daniel Craig. I prefer all the time to see other Fleming characters such as Loeila Ponsonby, May or Sir James Monoley.

#43 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:28 PM

Nah, not with Daniel Craig. I prefer all the time to see other Fleming characters such as Loeila Ponsonby, May or Sir James Monoley.

I agree, and there are a number of unused Fleming characters I would like to see in a future Craig Bond film - you've just named three of them.

#44 WhatMeWorry?

WhatMeWorry?

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 95 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 02:19 AM

Hell yeah! I love that idea.

#45 MarcAngeDraco

MarcAngeDraco

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3312 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 11:37 AM

If they were to reboot a villain/henchmen I would agree with Guy that it should be Red Grant. Physically menacing, intelligent but somewhat mentally unstable, able to blend in enough to not be immediately recognized. A deadly serious opponent for Bond, rather than a one-dimensional joke...

#46 Jack Rapace

Jack Rapace

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 68 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 12:33 PM

A "rebooted" Jaws or a "new" Tee-Hee could work if the character and his personal history is good, I suppose. Why he has those teeth, this arm ?...

#47 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 01:11 PM

If they were to reboot a villain/henchmen I would agree with Guy that it should be Red Grant. Physically menacing, intelligent but somewhat mentally unstable, able to blend in enough to not be immediately recognized. A deadly serious opponent for Bond, rather than a one-dimensional joke...

Well said, Marc-Ange. Pity they never brought Draco back in any of the films following OHMSS - he had even more of a motive for revenge on Blofeld than Bond.

#48 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 07:35 PM

Yes, it would. They could, and they should.

It's a wonderful idea, and it's perfect for Craig. Something tells me he's aching to take a shot at something so absurd. I so, so, soooo want to see Craig's "WTF!?" face when a 7-ft, 280-lb gorilla of a man, unarmed but for four ghastly, steel-capped incisors, comes barreling down the hall towards him.

#49 BryanHerbert

BryanHerbert

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:19 PM

I would like to see Jaws come back, but I don't think it would be a good idea. Richard Kiel played it so well, and every-time we think of jaws we think Richard kiel. It wouldn't seem right seeing someone else doing it.

#50 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 10:37 PM

Yes, it would. They could, and they should.

It's a wonderful idea, and it's perfect for Craig. Something tells me he's aching to take a shot at something so absurd. I so, so, soooo want to see Craig's "WTF!?" face when a 7-ft, 280-lb gorilla of a man, unarmed but for four ghastly, steel-capped incisors, comes barreling down the hall towards him.

Well isn't Elvis enough to give anyone a WTF face?

But yeah, I agree. Connery faced off with Oddjob in GF, and Rog took on Jaws in TSWLM, both of which were their THIRD films, as is coming up for Craig.

#51 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:17 PM

Giving this some serious thought (as if there were any other kind when it comes to Elvis), does Bond ever cross paths with Elvis in QOS? At all? I mean, they're in the same vicinity at the party, but I don't believe at any time anywhere in the film is it even suggested that they make so much as eye contact with one another. It forces one to wonder... is Elvis even real, or could it be he is merely a figment of our imaginations?!

Where are the promo posters for this!?

Sean battled OddJob. Roger fought Jaws. Pierce had... Xenia.

Now meet… ELVIS!

Daniel Craig as Ian Fleming’s James Bond will go face to face with his greatest challenge yet, if he can only find him...

#52 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:23 PM

B)

I agree. Confrontation wise, Elvis was a massive disappointment.

#53 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:30 PM

Your math doesn't add up, Harkers.

This:

B)

Plus this:

I agree.

Does NOT equal this:

Elvis was a massive disappointment.

You need to spend some time in my thread on the subject. Back to school with you, whippersnapper!

*grabs by ear*

#54 Manta ray

Manta ray

Cadet

• Crew
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 05:37 PM

Elvis was a massive disappointment.

Very. It's one of the problems of QoS. Tanner too... The interesting characters aren't developed properly.

#55 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 06:50 PM

Giving this some serious thought (as if there were any other kind when it comes to Elvis), does Bond ever cross paths with Elvis in QOS? At all? I mean, they're in the same vicinity at the party, but I don't believe at any time anywhere in the film is it even suggested that they make so much as eye contact with one another. It forces one to wonder... is Elvis even real, or could it be he is merely a figment of our imaginations?!

Where are the promo posters for this!?

Sean battled OddJob. Roger fought Jaws. Pierce had... Xenia.

Now meet… ELVIS!

Daniel Craig as Ian Fleming’s James Bond will go face to face with his greatest challenge yet, if he can only find him...

More "Tarantino meets Edmund Blackadder" than "Elvis". Unlikely to leave Bond all shook up. However, thanks to his boss, he did end up caught in a trap.

#56 Automan

Automan

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:51 PM

If he was played by this man:
Posted Image
Than I'd be totally up for it.

Totally awsome Bond villan

#57 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 03:02 AM

Or, in a Shyamalan-like twist, is Elvis actually a ghost all along? He is called Elvis after all, a name frequently associated with post-death sightings, and it would explain why Felix Leiter completely ignores him when he asks "How much longer?" Nobody seems to bat an eyelid when he falls down the stairs, because...nobody can see him! And how else to explain Fields mysteriously drowned in oil in the hotel room? It's trickery from beyond the grave!

#58 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 03:30 AM

Or, in a Shyamalan-like twist, is Elvis actually a ghost all along? He is called Elvis after all, a name frequently associated with post-death sightings, and it would explain why Felix Leiter completely ignores him when he asks "How much longer?" Nobody seems to bat an eyelid when he falls down the stairs, because...nobody can see him! And how else to explain Fields mysteriously drowned in oil in the hotel room? It's trickery from beyond the grave!

Neither, fellas. He's a replicant.

I thought it rather obvious.

#59 mtonline

mtonline

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 388 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 04:18 PM

there is only one Jaws PERIOD!

#60 elizabeth

elizabeth