Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 02:24 AM

New trailer:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/49999

It looks like a lot of fun. For one thing, it doesn't take itself nearly as seriously as other alien invasion films like BATTLE LOS ANGELES, SKYLINE and even SUPER 8. It knows just how ridiculous an alien invasion sounds and plays it as a strength rather than trying to ground it in reality.

#212 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 01:24 PM

I'd more say I'm surprised by how straight it seems given the concept, which is a bold move, not the one I would have asked for personally perhaps, but it seems to be working...there's a lot to like in these trailers, but I just can't escape the impression this is going to be another fairly generic blockbuster with too much screentime eaten up by a suspense-free battle scene where people shoot at CGI.

#213 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 01:57 PM

Just seen the new trailer. Seriously excited for this one. Daniel Craig, Harrison Ford AND Olivia Wilde. Yes please! I know it's not going to be a masterpierce, but like Captain Tightpants said, it doesn't take itself too seriously, and it's playing on that. Roll on August!

#214 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 05:12 PM

And even if it doesn't do that well, I don't care. I'm still going to buy it when it comes out on DVD. Bond and Jones together again!

#215 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 09:02 PM

Craig slamming that dude against the jail cell was pretty sweet. Pumped for this one.

#216 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 10:20 PM

I really hope this is good. It's got to be good, hasn't it?

#217 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 10:32 PM

It's got to be good, hasn't it?

I hope it is, because this summer is a particularly lousy one, and I'm going to need something a little better than X-MEN: FIRST CLASS to satisfy my cravings for popcorn entertainment. But I'm not holding my breath.

#218 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 10:42 PM

I hope it delivers. Can't wait to see it.

#219 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 11:03 PM

Y'know what? I can't believe I'm writing this but... I actually found this trailer pretty fun, and I think that, maybe, maybe, I might go and watch this film...

#220 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:17 AM

I hope it is, because this summer is a particularly lousy one, and I'm going to need something a little better than X-MEN: FIRST CLASS to satisfy my cravings for popcorn entertainment. But I'm not holding my breath.

You're loss. You're missing out on SPY KIDS 4: ARMAGEDDON and SKANK ROBBERS.

#221 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 02:32 AM

Certainly my #1 must see movie of the year.

#222 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 02:33 AM

I really hope this is good. It's got to be good, hasn't it?

Of course, but there have been a lot of movies that looked great but let people down in the past. I don't think it's going to happen this time. ;)

#223 Jackanaples

Jackanaples

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 02:33 AM

Interesting, Harms. I thought this summer looks to be a marked improvement over last year's which outside of INCEPTION I found utterly dismal. Already saw a couple great movies in X-MEN: FIRST CLASS and SUPER 8 and highly anticipating GREEN LANTERN, CAPTAIN AMERICA, and COWBOYS & ALIENS.

I think COWBOYS will turn out to be the surprise hit of the summer. Watching the trailer, the feeling I get is one of confidence. For a change the filmmakers are content with holding their best cards close to the chest. They show next to nothing. This could also be the best role Harrison Ford has had in almost twenty years.

#224 Chief of SIS

Chief of SIS

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 02:48 AM

Worthy of a reply because I searched SKANK ROBBERS after I laughed at that reply. Watched the trailer. Now, that is high-brow entertainment.

#225 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 02:50 AM

I remember when people were talking about the first meeting between Kirk and Picard and how cool it was going to be...It was a big let down for most people.

Edited by iBond, 13 June 2011 - 02:50 AM.

#226 Chief of SIS

Chief of SIS

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 02:59 AM

I remember when people were talking about the first meeting between Kirk and Picard and how cool it was going to be...It was a big let down for most people.

That whole film was a disappointment.

#227 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 03:45 AM

I'd more say I'm surprised by how straight it seems given the concept, which is a bold move, not the one I would have asked for personally perhaps, but it seems to be working...there's a lot to like in these trailers, but I just can't escape the impression this is going to be another fairly generic blockbuster with too much screentime eaten up by a suspense-free battle scene where people shoot at CGI.

Well most summer blockbusters now have one CGI thing fighting another CGI thing, so at least here you'll get actual humans pretending to fight things that aren't there :)

Actually Spy Kids 4's subtitle is the semi-intriguing "All the time in the world", so somebody involved with it at least knows their stuff ;)

#228 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:09 AM

Well most summer blockbusters now have one CGI thing fighting another CGI thing, so at least here you'll get actual humans pretending to fight things that aren't there :)

Actually Spy Kids 4's subtitle is the semi-intriguing "All the time in the world", so somebody involved with it at least knows their stuff ;)

I wonder if Eon gave them some trouble.

#229 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:57 AM

SPOILER!

First look of the Aliens
Posted Image

#230 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 12:45 PM

Ooh; Struzan-y; nice.

#231 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 01:09 PM

Interesting, Harms. I thought this summer looks to be a marked improvement over last year's which outside of INCEPTION I found utterly dismal.

You found TOY STORY 3 dismal? I wasn't that taken with it, myself, but it was more solid than anything I've seen this summer so far, and I suspect, by the time summer's out, it will still beat out what we've got. But my real favorite of last year's summer far was SCOTT PILGRIM. Nothing this summer seems to serve up such personality.

#232 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 01:44 PM

Must say; I thought Scott Pilgrim dragged a lot. I've got high hopes for this and Captain America, though.

#233 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 01:51 PM

Must say; I thought Scott Pilgrim dragged a lot.

Despite being saddled with two miscast leads, I thought SCOTT PILGRIM had plenty of energy, with one solid joke hitting right after another. Most importantly, it had a very distinct personality, something I don't detect about this summer's crop of blockbusters. Since Hollywood does its best to homogenize the entertainment it offers, any Hollywood entertainment with a unique point of view is a small victory. Of course, any film as idiosyncratic as SCOTT PILGRIM is not going to work for everyone.

I've got high hopes for this and Captain America, though.

I'll be pleased if either turns out well, but I don't see much reason to have faith.

#234 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 03:08 PM

Must say; I thought Scott Pilgrim dragged a lot.

Despite being saddled with two miscast leads, I thought SCOTT PILGRIM had plenty of energy, with one solid joke hitting right after another. Most importantly, it had a very distinct personality, something I don't detect about this summer's crop of blockbusters. Since Hollywood does its best to homogenize the entertainment it offers, any Hollywood entertainment with a unique point of view is a small victory. Of course, any film as idiosyncratic as SCOTT PILGRIM is not going to work for everyone.

It had an identity, yeah, but it ran out of jokes and few of them really worked. Some were crackers, but most weren't. And it started with the relationship before the one where he has to fight the 7 evil exes beginning. It takes about 45 mins into the film to meet the first evil ex: it felt like it went on forever.
I don't think something being different is good enough, to be honest; I'd prefer a very good solid homogenised one to an overlong, muddled, occasionally funny comedy with a different voice.

I've got high hopes for this and Captain America, though.

I'll be pleased if either turns out well, but I don't see much reason to have faith.

I dunno; both look decent fun and are from the directors of Iron Man and The Rocketeer, doing not dissimilar things from those films which were both very capably handled. I think that's reason enough to be optimistic.
I'd be less optimistic if they were by Edgar Wright, to be honest; I'm not sure he's made more than one good film and has struggled to be cinematic.

Have you seen Attack the Block? Might be your sort of thing. I didn't find it completely successful, but it's solid enough.

#235 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 03:45 PM

I'd be less optimistic if they were by Edgar Wright, to be honest; I'm not sure he's made more than one good film and has struggled to be cinematic.

I'd be far more willing to watch those two flicks, if they were directed by anyone with the humour, balls, and insight of Edgar Wright. He might've been able to sort of subversively critique and parody the Hollywood blockbuster, while simultaneously making one - rather than just working as another mindless a pawn in their game. I'd say Favreau, Abrams, and Johnston qualify as the later.

#236 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 04:06 PM

SPOILER!

First look of the Aliens
Posted Image

So cool.

#237 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:22 PM

Ooh; Struzan-y; nice.

Yeah; is that by Struzan? I though he'd retired...

#238 Jackanaples

Jackanaples

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 06:45 PM

Interesting, Harms. I thought this summer looks to be a marked improvement over last year's which outside of INCEPTION I found utterly dismal.

You found TOY STORY 3 dismal? I wasn't that taken with it, myself, but it was more solid than anything I've seen this summer so far, and I suspect, by the time summer's out, it will still beat out what we've got. But my real favorite of last year's summer far was SCOTT PILGRIM. Nothing this summer seems to serve up such personality.

I confess I didn't see TOY STORY 3 last summer. Since I know my niece and nephews will want to watch whatever the latest Pixar movie is when I visit for the holidays, I tend to hold off going to see such movies until then. The exception to that rule being anything Brad Bird does I will rush to the theater to see. I agree with you on SCOTT PILGRIM. But two movies doesn't make a summer for me. This summer has much more that I'm interested in.

In particular I'm interested in COWBOYS & ALIENS as the filmmakers seem to be going for a movie that feels like a real western before scary aliens appear. Daniel Craig looks to be playing a suitably tough character.

#239 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 07:47 PM

It takes about 45 mins into the film to meet the first evil ex: it felt like it went on forever.

Those 45 minutes are probably my favorite section of the film. But, again, I think SCOTT PILGRIM is very funny stuff indeed, so we're clearly on different pages with this one. I've not seen ATTACK THE BLOCK. Didn't even know what it was, to be honest. Sounds like it could be okay.

I dunno; both look decent fun and are from the directors of Iron Man and The Rocketeer, doing not dissimilar things from those films which were both very capably handled. I think that's reason enough to be optimistic.

IRON MAN is mediocre at best. I don't get excited at the promise of seeing another film on that level. And if Johnston can match the playfulness of THE ROCKETEER, I'll be pleased, but I'm skeptical he's got it in him (or whether the Marvel movie machine will let him do it; their build-up to THE AVENGERS has been a liability for the films to date).

I'd be far more willing to watch those two flicks, if they were directed by anyone with the humour, balls, and insight of Edgar Wright. He might've been able to sort of subversively critique and parody the Hollywood blockbuster, while simultaneously making one - rather than just working as another mindless a pawn in their game. I'd say Favreau, Abrams, and Johnston qualify as the later.

Yep.

But two movies doesn't make a summer for me.

I'll take quality over quantity. I'll take one genuinely great film over ten or twenty good pictures.

In particular I'm interested in COWBOYS & ALIENS as the filmmakers seem to be going for a movie that feels like a real western before scary aliens appear.

If it seemed to be doing either the "Western" or "alien movie" part of the equation particularly well, I'd be happy. Admittedly, we haven't seen that much of the flick, but what we have seen isn't very interesting.

#240 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:28 PM

He can, but for me he's not fully reached the status of a good director yet; you have to be good to do that. Scott Pilgrim was the most cinematic he's been, which is good; but he needed to do that after Hot Fuzz, which was very much a TV movie; not a cinema one. I like him, but I think he's promised more than he's delivered so far; although of course Shaun is a classic. Scott Pilgrim needed to be great and... it wasn't.
Favreau, Abrams, and Johnston do indeed have less of a voice but they've all made very satisfying big summer movies and shown they all know what they're doing in this kind of sandpit.

Those 45 minutes are probably my favorite section of the film. But, again, I think SCOTT PILGRIM is very funny stuff indeed, so we're clearly on different pages with this one. I've not seen ATTACK THE BLOCK. Didn't even know what it was, to be honest. Sounds like it could be okay.

I thought you'd be all over that one; it's a tougher Shaun of the Dead, really. Doesn't quite take off enough for me, but it's a very decent first effort.

IRON MAN is mediocre at best.

Hmm. No; it's not. I agree that it's a not-hugely outstanding superhero effort lifted by the leading man, but at best it's very entertaining and fun, whether that's down to Downey (and the rest of the amazing cast) or not.

And if Johnston can match the playfulness of THE ROCKETEER, I'll be pleased, but I'm skeptical he's got it in him (or whether the Marvel movie machine will let him do it; their build-up to THE AVENGERS has been a liability for the films to date).

That's a bit negative; I don't see why they wouldn't. They've even said they're trying to go for the Raiders vibe again, which I think is good news. And it looks great so far; I love a period adventure film.