40 replies to this topic

#31 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 01:06 PM

I've actually heard from various different sources that 3-piece suits are coming back in style. You can actually purchase a replica of the Goldfinger suit here: http://www.magnolicl...hiers-p-41.html

I believe they never left style. You just need to be careful with a three-piece cause it's a little too formal, so it doesn't fit everywhere. :tdown:

... and it doesn't fit everyone. You have to be tall and lean to wear that. This looks just awfull on the guy in the pictures. Waistcoat goes too high; last button should be loose; jacket is way too long; etc.

Right! I forgot about that! If your belly is a little big then the three-piece is not for you.
I'm lucky though cause I'm tall and lean as Messervy said. Thank God!

B)

You're right on the "formal" side of the 3-piece. I wear a suit everyday for work, and although I own 2 3-piece suits, I rarely wear the waistcoat. It would indeed be percieved as overdoing it. I could envisage wearing them for a reception or a high-level meeting, but not for day-to-day work.

That being said, I happen to have colleagues wearing a tie with a short-sleeved shirt ... yuck!

#32 Jeao007

Jeao007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 06:20 PM

Yeah, unless your working at a McDonalds, the short-sleeved shirt and tie look should be avoided.

Edited by Jeao007, 25 June 2010 - 06:21 PM.

#33 Fan

Fan

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 68 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:56 AM

I've actually heard from various different sources that 3-piece suits are coming back in style. You can actually purchase a replica of the Goldfinger suit here: http://www.magnolicl...hiers-p-41.html

I believe they never left style. You just need to be careful with a three-piece cause it's a little too formal, so it doesn't fit everywhere. B)

... and it doesn't fit everyone. You have to be tall and lean to wear that. This looks just awfull on the guy in the pictures. Waistcoat goes too high; last button should be loose; jacket is way too long; etc.

Right! I forgot about that! If your belly is a little big then the three-piece is not for you.

Not true - a well-cut three piece will look slimming on anyone. Look at some 1920s photos for what I mean.

#34 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 02:22 AM

You do know that the only reason Sean Connery started wearing three-pieces with Goldfinger is because he started getting chunky, right? The vests were ideal to hide his burgeoning paunch, as well as deter comparison to his figure in previous films simply because the wardrobe had changed... B)

#35 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 08:55 AM

I believe they never left style. You just need to be careful with a three-piece cause it's a little too formal, so it doesn't fit everywhere. B)

Not true - a well-cut three piece will look slimming on anyone. Look at some 1920s photos for what I mean.

I've come across a picture of Daniel wearing a grey three-piece and it wasn't flattering at all. You see his abs were the problem.
Check this out: http://justjared.buz...efiance-dvd-06/ :tdown:

#36 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 09:08 AM

I've come across a picture of Daniel wearing a grey three-piece and it wasn't flattering at all. You see his abs were the problem.
Check this out: http://justjared.buz...efiance-dvd-06/ :tdown:

Note, he said well cut. That suit, while well tailored, looks far too small.

#37 J J

J J

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 331 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 03:47 PM

Yeah, unless your working at a McDonalds, the short-sleeved shirt and tie look should be avoided.

Though not a fan of short-sleeved shirts myself, Ian Fleming detested long-sleeved shirts and would always go for the short-sleeved ones... And you can hardly accuse him for having bad taste in style... ;-)

#38 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 04:17 PM

Note, he said well cut. That suit, while well tailored, looks far too small.

To be honest I don't quite undersand the difference between well-cut and tailored, since a tailored suit is supposed to be well-cut, because it's made to match the customer's bodytype. So you cut the fabric in order to be the second skin of the owner,

#39 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 07:17 PM

So I re-watched TB, formulated a better opinion of it, and...Oh. My. God. The way Sean combed his hair was like, AMAZING. I couldn't breathe, lol. I think TB and GF are my favorite of his suits. SO high-fashion and SO cute!

#40 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:34 AM

And you can hardly accuse him for having bad taste in style... ;-)

well, actually ...

#41 Colossus

Colossus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:06 PM

His infiltration suits in GF and YOLT are also good.