This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Daniel Craig to play Henry Higgins in My Fair Lady remake?

40 replies to this topic

#31 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:42 AM

I say give it to Jeremy Irons. He's already played the part in a cast recording (and did an admirable job at that).

61 year old Jeremy Irons romancing Keira Knightley? Creepy.

The age gap's massive, of course, but I could go with it just fine. The musical's always had that "older guy, younger girl" element. Rex Harrison wasn't much younger than Irons is now when he did the film version of MY FAIR LADY.

Rex does have the advantage of not specializing in playing villains, creeps, and perverts for most of his career :tdown:

Well we can't talk!?

Especially considering we've had an aged tea bag romance Tanya Roberts. B)

We're just as bad.

Tea bag? What? Suddenly AVTAK just became a lot more disturbing.

#32 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 02:20 AM

I say give it to Jeremy Irons. He's already played the part in a cast recording (and did an admirable job at that).

61 year old Jeremy Irons romancing Keira Knightley? Creepy.

The age gap's massive, of course, but I could go with it just fine. The musical's always had that "older guy, younger girl" element. Rex Harrison wasn't much younger than Irons is now when he did the film version of MY FAIR LADY.

Rex does have the advantage of not specializing in playing villains, creeps, and perverts for most of his career B)

Maybe so, but I think he could shake that off. As far as I'm concerned, Irons has already proven himself in the part.

#33 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:17 AM

but I doubt that´s enough to get him to throw his dislike of this genre overboard.

Question, have you seen or read an interview where he stated his dislike for musicals or comedy or are you guessing that based on what type of work he has done?

My guess is Craig won't do it either, but not for a dislike of the genre (unless he has stated he dislikes the genre), but why redo a classic that will not do anything except invite comparisons with the original?

#34 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:53 AM

Not sure whether Craig would be able to bring the necessary old-pros gravitas to the role anyway. More suited to the more world weary and debonhair Mr Brosnan.

Considering Craig has far more screen gravitas and verisimilitude as opposed to Brosnan who relied on his male model looks and smooth charm to reach where he is now.

And Brosnan would be far less po-faced and superior about the project than Craig anyway if Germanlady's comments are at all accurate.

I don't think you should assume anything about an actor's tastes from a few comments from a fraulein fan on a board.

Brozza for HH. He's already got one hit cinema musical behind him to boot. Perfect.

He's already done it once with mediocre results, give the Englishman a chance.

Shark, 'course I don't take Germanlady's breathy views as accurate. Craig is as hypoctrical and fickle as the rest of us. At around the same time he was on record as dismissing Hugh Grant in "Love Actually" as insubustantial fluff (and Craig's at the time girlfriend was in it too!), he himself was making Lara Croft! Now that was obviously sold to Dan as a serious feminist polemic about the role of the single woman in modern society, rather than being about Angelina's tits. Don't see "the Invasion" as high art either: sure, you want to work with Nicole, fine - but wait til you've got a decent script. And Bond's not that arty, is it. No, show Dan the money and he'll do HH, no doubt.

I really think, you should NOT label anybody as being for sale, even more so, when you don´t have your facts right.
Also I feel, the "fan boys" here should tune down their condescendence towards others. Folks, who discuss for 9 pages the next Bond girl or who should sing the next next song etc should not throw any stones. Don´t you think?

Bond - the producers offered the role (and they are on record, he was the only one, they did) to a relatively unknown actor, who turned his back on them, because there was no script. That went on for over a year..until they did show him a satisfying script.

Invasion - Hirschbiegel was a director with some proven gravitas and the film the actors signed for, was very different to what it actually turned out to be - none of us know, for which film they really signed.

Lara Croft
- he did that - after all those artsy films in England - to see, what it was like to be in a major production - it wasn´t a satisfying experience for him, so he turned down Part 2 - Gerard Butler did that instead.

Flashbacks of a Fool
- he did for free
Defiance - each of the actors took a major paycut, as this film was relatively low budget.
Golden Compass - the triologie are some of his favourite books and HE called up the producers, to see if the part was still available - before he knew, what money was involved in that.

And yes - Jaguar - he IS on record of saying he dislikes the genre.

And yes, Zorin, I am guilty of another post, that I promised NOT to make.

Have a good day, everybody... B)

Edited by Germanlady, 28 October 2009 - 06:15 AM.

#35 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:51 PM

Well that was detailed. You must have many contacts to know all that. :tdown:

All I am sure of is Craig will not do anything that does not want to at this point.
He doesn't have too.

If he wants to skip around in a tutu singing into a vase, then he will. B)

#36 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 05:42 AM

Well that was detailed. You must have many contacts to know all that. :tdown:

Well - thank you B) yeah, who knows...
I remember times, when you used to ask me about stuff - so yes, maybe I do...

#37 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 06:58 PM

Well that was detailed. You must have many contacts to know all that. :)

Well - thank you :tdown: yeah, who knows...

Well on that note, maybe you can ask one of these contacts about Bond 23? :tdown:

Do share! B)

#38 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 08:55 PM

Well that was detailed. You must have many contacts to know all that. :)

Well - thank you :) yeah, who knows...

Well on that note, maybe you can ask one of these contacts about Bond 23? :tdown:

Do share! B)

Just wait for the official announcement - nobody here believes me anyway :tdown:

Edited by Germanlady, 29 October 2009 - 09:23 PM.

#39 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 11:03 AM

Here you got another "unofficial" announcement, IF such a thing as unofficial exists...

http://www.accesshol...9_video_1170105

#40 Glockenspiel

Glockenspiel

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 134 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 12:40 PM

It - as highly speculative as it is - is also worth remembering that HENRY HIGGINS from MY FAIR LADY does not have to sing. Rex Harrison speak-sung his way through that film (for good or bad) and that has been the blueprint for the character ever since the late 1950's.
[/quote]

You're perfectly right.

#41 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 05:58 PM

It - as highly speculative as it is - is also worth remembering that HENRY HIGGINS from MY FAIR LADY does not have to sing. Rex Harrison speak-sung his way through that film (for good or bad) and that has been the blueprint for the character ever since the late 1950's.

Yes that is correct but still cannot see him touching this with a barge pole.
No offense to MFL fans and all.
Could see Hugh Jackman doing it though.