This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Daniel Craig to play Henry Higgins in My Fair Lady remake?

40 replies to this topic

#1 triviachamp

triviachamp

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1400 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 09:55 PM

http://www.telegraph...-Fair-Lady.html

This leads to the obvious question: How come the Laz hasn't tried to sing?

#2 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 10:52 PM

If this is true, I certainly hope Craig can sing better than Brosnan.

#3 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 11:01 PM

Doesn't he sing at the end of notorious in flashback, inter-cut with him being hung?

#4 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 12:17 AM

Well it'll definitely be one to see if Craig's in it. Otherwise I'm quite fine with the old stage adaptation I saw back in '03, thank you. Can't say musical theatre has ever quite, pardon the pun, struck a chord with me.

#5 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 04:46 AM

Fantastic news, I'll be looking forward to this one.

#6 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 06:38 AM

DC won´t be seen anywhere near a musical or a romatice film like this EVER B)

#7 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 06:42 AM

This was floating around over a year ago. I cannot ever see Craig touching this no matter how versatile an actor he is. B)

#8 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 12:45 PM

Great news! Another Craig film! I hope it worths it!

#9 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:16 PM

His loss then. He needs a lighter project soon to prove his versality, maybe a comedy or musical.

Edited by The Shark, 25 October 2009 - 10:17 PM.

#10 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:17 PM

And you know this because....?

#11 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 04:58 AM

And you know this because....?

Because I am one of those crazy people, who have followed him closely for three years now and who knows her "DC facts" :tdown:
Its save to say, he hates romantic comedy and also believes, he can´t sing.

#12 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 07:10 AM

His loss then. He needs a lighter project soon to prove his versality, maybe a comedy or musical.

Versatility? Lets start with Invasion

Science Fiction - Invasion
Action Thriller - Bond
Fantasie - Golden Campus
Indie - Flashbacks
WWII True Story - Defiance
Action Thriller - Bond
Motion Capture - Tin Tin
Play - Steady Rain
Horror - Dream House

So - out of 9 films, you have 8 different genres - how much more versatility can anybody possibly want? :tdown:

#13 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:38 AM

Action Thriller - Bond
Fantasie - Golden Campus
Indie - Flashbacks
Action Thriller - Bond
Motion Capture - Tin Tin
Play - Steady Rain
Horror - Dream House

So - out of 9 films, you have 8 different genres - how much more versatility can anybody possibly want? :tdown:

You may have been following Daniel Craig for three years but the industry has been aware of him for over 15 years. It is not about versatility.

Daniel Craig can sing and has done on film in recent years (but if you have followed him ardently you already know this, yes?). He is more than a competent crooner. He also spent years training in the National Youth Theatre and Guildhall which was loaded with musical work I would imagine.

It - as highly speculative as it is - is also worth remembering that HENRY HIGGINS from MY FAIR LADY does not have to sing. Rex Harrison speak-sung his way through that film (for good or bad) and that has been the blueprint for the character ever since the late 1950's.

#14 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 12:19 PM

Action Thriller - Bond
Fantasie - Golden Campus
Indie - Flashbacks
Action Thriller - Bond
Motion Capture - Tin Tin
Play - Steady Rain
Horror - Dream House

You may have been following Daniel Craig for three years but the industry has been aware of him for over 15 years. It is not about versatility.

Daniel Craig can sing and has done on film in recent years (but if you have followed him ardently you already know this, yes?). He is more than a competent crooner. He also spent years training in the National Youth Theatre and Guildhall which was loaded with musical work I would imagine.

It - as highly speculative as it is - is also worth remembering that HENRY HIGGINS from MY FAIR LADY does not have to sing. Rex Harrison speak-sung his way through that film (for good or bad) and that has been the blueprint for the character ever since the late 1950's.

He sang in Infamous and Munich (5 words "Papa was a rolling stone"), yes, but even though he can hold a tone (HIS words), he himself doesn´t see it. Plus its not about what he CAN do (which is pretty much everything in my book) but what he WANTS to do and a musical is NOT among those things. We could bet on it, as time will tell, right?

There is one point though - he has worked with Keira before (in the Jacket) and Satsuki Mitchell was among producers of two of Keiras films, but I doubt that´s enough to get him to throw his dislike of this genre overboard.

Edited by Germanlady, 26 October 2009 - 12:31 PM.

#15 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 01:36 PM

I'd actually quite like this. He's always liked mixing things up genre-wise. Sign me up.

#16 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 03:01 PM

Not sure whether Craig would be able to bring the necessary old-pros gravitas to the role anyway. More suited to the more world weary and debonhair Mr Brosnan.

And Brosnan would be far less po-faced and superior about the project than Craig anyway if Germanlady's comments are at all accurate.

Brozza for HH. He's already got one hit cinema musical behind him to boot. Perfect.

#17 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 04:52 PM

Hugh Laurie would be the perfect choice in my book - a bit old by now but he still got what HH needs..

#18 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 05:00 PM

Not sure whether Craig would be able to bring the necessary old-pros gravitas to the role anyway. More suited to the more world weary and debonhair Mr Brosnan.

Considering Craig has far more screen gravitas and verisimilitude as opposed to Brosnan who relied on his male model looks and smooth charm to reach where he is now.

And Brosnan would be far less po-faced and superior about the project than Craig anyway if Germanlady's comments are at all accurate.

I don't think you should assume anything about an actor's tastes from a few comments from a fraulein fan on a board.

Brozza for HH. He's already got one hit cinema musical behind him to boot. Perfect.

He's already done it once with mediocre results, give the Englishman a chance.

Edited by The Shark, 26 October 2009 - 05:01 PM.

#19 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 05:02 PM

I say give it to Jeremy Irons. He's already played the part in a cast recording (and did an admirable job at that).

#20 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:14 PM

I don't think you should assume anything about an actor's tastes from a few comments from a fraulein fan on a board.

As I said before - time will tell, but if you don´t know THAT about his taste, you know close to nothing. B)

#21 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:20 PM

To be honest Germanlady, unless you are Mr Craig's agent, it is not wise to assume you know exactly what projects he will take in the future.

#22 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:04 PM

To be honest Germanlady, unless you are Mr Craig's agent, it is not wise to assume you know exactly what projects he will take in the future.

To be honest, Zorin, this will bring us nowhere, so I´ll stop right here. Its not worth fighting over - time w t... B) but I don´t need to be his agent (i wish) to know that.

#23 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:46 PM

Time will certainly tell and also, time is a great healer. B)

#24 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:37 PM

Considering Craig has far more screen gravitas and verisimilitude as opposed to Brosnan who relied on his male model looks and smooth charm to reach where he is now.

He's already done it once with mediocre results, give the Englishman a chance.

Shark, 'course I don't take Germanlady's breathy views as accurate. Craig is as hypoctrical and fickle as the rest of us. At around the same time he was on record as dismissing Hugh Grant in "Love Actually" as insubustantial fluff (and Craig's at the time girlfriend was in it too!), he himself was making Lara Croft! Now that was obviously sold to Dan as a serious feminist polemic about the role of the single woman in modern society, rather than being about Angelina's tits. Don't see "the Invasion" as high art either: sure, you want to work with Nicole, fine - but wait til you've got a decent script. And Bond's not that arty, is it. No, show Dan the money and he'll do HH, no doubt.

Shame, though you're trotting out the line that Broz only got where he is because of "his male model looks and smooth charm" after all this time, though.

#25 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 03:07 PM

To be honest, Zorin, this will bring us nowhere, so I´ll stop right here. Its not worth fighting over - time w t... B) but I don´t need to be his agent (i wish) to know that.

To know what...? His every thought process and every career choice? Fans can only guage a career by what they are presented with. An actor has to make those decisions and there is a lot that Daniel Craig didn't do then decided to with open arms... play James Bond 007 for starters.

#26 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 06:01 PM

To be honest, Zorin, this will bring us nowhere, so I´ll stop right here. Its not worth fighting over - time w t... :tdown: but I don´t need to be his agent (i wish) to know that.

To know what...? His every thought process and every career choice? Fans can only guage a career by what they are presented with. An actor has to make those decisions and there is a lot that Daniel Craig didn't do then decided to with open arms... play James Bond 007 for starters.

You want the last word - you got it. B) Be happy with it. If I am wrong, you can kick my :tdown: :)

#27 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:52 PM

I say give it to Jeremy Irons. He's already played the part in a cast recording (and did an admirable job at that).

61 year old Jeremy Irons romancing Keira Knightley? Creepy.

#28 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:57 PM

He's creepy and fey enough as it is, why not give a younger actor a chance?

Edited by The Shark, 27 October 2009 - 09:57 PM.

#29 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:54 PM

The age gap's massive, of course, but I could go with it just fine. The musical's always had that "older guy, younger girl" element. Rex Harrison wasn't much younger than Irons is now when he did the film version of MY FAIR LADY.

#30 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:58 PM

Well we can't talk!?

Especially considering we've had an aged tea bag romance Tanya Roberts. B)

We're just as bad.