This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Would anyone like to see the return of a male M?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
319 replies to this topic

#301 Frankie

Frankie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:45 PM

Bernard Hill,....Bernard Lee,... I see what you are doing. ;)

As long as it's not Benny Hill...

LOL.

He's dead anyway. I'm sure someone here would suggest him if he weren't.

#302 bill007

bill007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2072 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:18 AM

I would prefer a male in the role. He would have served as a Commander in the SAS during the Faulklands (1982), had risen to Brigader by the time the 1st Gulf War happened (1991), and had moved into government service/administrative realm during the 2nd Gulf War (2002), where he gained significant experience as a case officer controlling normal agents in the field, but fully aware of the special Double-O branch.

An 'oo-rah-Henry good-ol-boy' aristocrat, of course. But, with a dirtiness about him.

Now, THAT is an "M" I could appreciate.

Thanks, Michael and Barbara, for reading this forum.

#303 Double-0-Seven

Double-0-Seven

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2710 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:59 AM

Did you secretly have some involvement with Skyfall back in 2011, bill007? ;)

#304 bill007

bill007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2072 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:11 AM

Glad you noticed the date, Double-0-Seven. Keenly aware, as always, you are.

No envolvement, merely thanking the gods for what I presume to be their awareness of our meager existance down here in the bowels of fandome, lol.

#305 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:49 PM

Hell no I love Judi Dench!

#306 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:24 PM

I would prefer a male in the role. He would have served as a Commander in the SAS during the Faulklands (1982), had risen to Brigader by the time the 1st Gulf War happened (1991), and had moved into government service/administrative realm during the 2nd Gulf War (2002), where he gained significant experience as a case officer controlling normal agents in the field, but fully aware of the special Double-O branch.

An 'oo-rah-Henry good-ol-boy' aristocrat, of course. But, with a dirtiness about him.

Now, THAT is an "M" I could appreciate.

Thanks, Michael and Barbara, for reading this forum.

Remarkably prescient. Only bit missing was the three months as a hostage of the IRA. That said, he doesn't strike me as a "oo-rah Henry". Believe me, I've met them and they would have no more business running MI6 than running a bath! :-)

#307 bill007

bill007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2072 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:02 AM

Remarkably prescient. Only bit missing was the three months as a hostage of the IRA. That said, he doesn't strike me as a "oo-rah Henry". Believe me, I've met them and they would have no more business running MI6 than running a bath! :-)

PoInt well made Guy Haines. Jim schooled me on the same thing after my original post of that description, ha-ha. But, for the most part, I got what I wanted to see in the role. There was one scene where Ralph Fiennes reminded me exactly of a younger Benard Lee. It was a sort of stooping postition he had at one point.

Then, finally, the double-padded leather door, the office, the case file for 007. It was, for me, an acknowledgment of the early James Bond, before it all went haywire with gadgets and theatrics and bullets never hitting our ultra-super-hero.

After Skyfall, from henceforth, the secret agent, vulnerable though he is, is a real person. Someone who could possibly actually exist in the real world. Which, is how it all started in the first place. Way before that Bourne fella.

#308 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:48 AM

PoInt well made Guy Haines. Jim schooled me on the same thing after my original post of that description, ha-ha. But, for the most part, I got what I wanted to see in the role. There was one scene where Ralph Fiennes reminded me exactly of a younger Benard Lee. It was a sort of stooping postition he had at one point.

Then, finally, the double-padded leather door, the office, the case file for 007. It was, for me, an acknowledgment of the early James Bond, before it all went haywire with gadgets and theatrics and bullets never hitting our ultra-super-hero.

After Skyfall, from henceforth, the secret agent, vulnerable though he is, is a real person. Someone who could possibly actually exist in the real world. Which, is how it all started in the first place. Way before that Bourne fella.

I think in the new M we've got more than just a nod to the 1960s. The brief background we got about Mallory, and his instant reactions when all hell breaks loose in the enquiry scene, shows he's been a bit of a "Bond" himself in the past. There's been a lot about how Silva/Rodriguez sees himself as the dark mirror image of Bond - I don't quite see it myself, Silva strikes me as a petulant, spoilt brat, teachers pet, mummy's boy of a villain - "Only back then, I was her favourite" was the give away.

Mallory shows another route Bond could have been forced into - unsuccessfully, I suspect - the field man turned stiff necked bureaucrat. But I think being the new M, and having Bond to boss around, will be the making of Mallory.

#309 bill007

bill007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2072 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:04 AM

Agreed. The new M is a multi-dimensional character, as is our new 007. It is an open chapter which will bring all the characters into play as we have not seen them in quite some time. I like what Barbara and Micheal have done here.

#310 Thevan7F

Thevan7F

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 74 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:10 AM

The Male M has already return it Ralph Fiennes now the new M. You saw Skyfall in the end replacing the deceased Judi Dench. Which was very sad. He fourth M. Barnard Lee was the original. Robert Brown continue till Licence to Kill . Then came Judi Dench as the new M as Robert Brown replacement when his is pronounce retired. She through Brosnan Era to Daniel Craig era.

#311 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:27 AM

I agree that there seems to be a lot more to Mallory than what you see. I liked how Tanner, M (Dench) and even Bond seemed to see Mallory as an adversary, but as the film progressed they discover that he is actually on their side. He also seems to learn the importance of clandestine agents, even when he seemed to think "we can't operate in the shadows anymore, there are no more shadows."

#312 Dekard77

Dekard77

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:23 AM

I am glad they changed it. She was an utter bore.

#313 Double-0-Seven

Double-0-Seven

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2710 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:43 PM

I think I know the scene you're referring to because I felt the same way. At the underground MI6 headquarters when he first meets Bond. As he's about to leave, he stops and says something to Bond. Right there I was certain he would be the new M. Okay, I knew that going into the movie. Still, it was a cool feeling, almost nostalgic. Then the padded door and old office at the end was the icing on the cake. Classic Bond updated for modern times.

#314 The Gunner

The Gunner

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:28 PM

Your wish is Skyfall's command in the form of Gareth (M)allory MP.

A male M and Miss Moneypenny back behind a desk - a return to form, you might say.

#315 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:49 AM

We’re lucky to have Fiennes. I already like how they’re handling him, as this strictly business task master. Telling Bond not to screw up, etc. I loved it when When Bond referred to Mallory as M. People may come and go but the position is forever.

#316 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:16 AM

I think I know the scene you're referring to because I felt the same way. At the underground MI6 headquarters when he first meets Bond. As he's about to leave, he stops and says something to Bond. Right there I was certain he would be the new M. Okay, I knew that going into the movie. Still, it was a cool feeling, almost nostalgic. Then the padded door and old office at the end was the icing on the cake. Classic Bond updated for modern times.

"Good luck, 007. Don't cock it up."

#317 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:55 AM

^ Exactly I mean I loved Judi Dench, but I think Ralph Fiennes is a really good choice to be the new M.

#318 TheManwiththeWaltherPPK

TheManwiththeWaltherPPK

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:59 AM

A male M and Miss Moneypenny back behind a desk - a return to form, you might say.

He's not an MP though. There is no indication as such. He's referred to as a bureaucrat, a civil servant. As the Chairman of the Joint Intelligence and Security Committee who becomes the head of the SIS, he seems to be modeled after John Scarlett, who was not an elected politician if I remember correctly.

#319 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:32 AM

Yep, but Scarlett wasn't a Lieutenant Colonel in the SAS, stationed in Northern Ireland during The Troubles.

#320 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:05 PM

Closing time for this one. Guess it has run its course... ;)