#121 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 05:36 PM

Elliot Goldenthal.

Daring choice. But for my taste, Goldenthal´s scores are too busy creating havoc and disharmony, instead of going for a subtle and most of all melodic approach. But that´s just my taste.

What are your favorite (living) score composers, by the way?

#122 brunoman

brunoman

Cadet

• Crew
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 08:57 PM

Henry Jackman. His score for X Men First Class was epic in my opinion.

#123 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 09:19 PM

Elliot Goldenthal.

Daring choice. But for my taste, Goldenthal´s scores are too busy creating havoc and disharmony, instead of going for a subtle and most of all melodic approach. But that´s just my taste.

Sounds like you've only listened to ALIEN 3 and the later half of SPHERE.

What about FRIDA, HEAT, MICHAEL COLLINS, TITUS? Goldenthal's got a lot of strings to his bow. He can adopt a wild atonal style if necessary, or switch to something more minimalist and low key. All depending on the picture.

He's already shown a appreciation for Barry's scores:

"That's a unique talent, without being over fussy. He has all the technique that he needs to be complicated and yet having the will power and the skill to come up with these sometimes monumental, sometimes subconscious, rarified themes."

http://www.variety.c...erfriendly=true

Come EON, get your act together.

Elliot Goldenthal, Don Davis, John Williams, Lalo Schifrin, Christopher Young, Johnny Greenwood, Mark Isham, Christopher Dunning, Richard Rodney Bennett, and Ennio Morricone.

#124 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:43 AM

Shark, do you think John Williams's scoring would be a bit too... I guess, "big" for a Bond film? I love his work dearly, but I can't imagine the Williams who penned Duel of the Fates doing the subtlest Bond score... :S

#125 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 05:02 AM

Elliot Goldenthal.

What about FRIDA, HEAT, MICHAEL COLLINS, TITUS? Goldenthal's got a lot of strings to his bow. He can adopt a wild atonal style if necessary, or switch to something more minimalist and low key. All depending on the picture.

"That's a unique talent, without being over fussy. He has all the technique that he needs to be complicated and yet having the will power and the skill to come up with these sometimes monumental, sometimes subconscious, rarified themes."

Elliot Goldenthal, Don Davis, John Williams, Lalo Schifrin, Christopher Young, Johnny Greenwood, Mark Isham, Christopher Dunning, Richard Rodney Bennett, and Ennio Morricone.

I didn´t know that Goldenthal appreciated Barry so much. I must admit HEAT and MICHAEL COLLINS also sound very bombastic and, well, busy to me. But he is certainly a great composer, capable of many styles. It would surely be interesting to hear him tackle Bond.

Of your other favorites I would say that Christopher Young would be my next choice of a Bond composer. I dearly love his JENNIFER EIGHT score.

#126 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:16 AM

Elliot Goldenthal.

I didn´t know that Goldenthal appreciated Barry so much. I must admit HEAT and MICHAEL COLLINS also sound very bombastic and, well, busy to me. But he is certainly a great composer, capable of many styles. It would surely be interesting to hear him tackle Bond.

Of your other favorites I would say that Christopher Young would be my next choice of a Bond composer. I dearly love his JENNIFER EIGHT score.

These cues from HEAT and pretty darn slow:

First half at least.

I've got say, listening to these again - Hans Zimmer's score for THE NARK KNIGHT owes a hell of a lot to Goldenthal's HEAT, especially the Joker stuff.

But doesn't Bond need bombast, anyway? You could hardly say GOLDFINGER and OHMSSS were appropriate for psychological drama.

#127 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:57 PM

True. But I´m probably too much of a traditionalist concerning Bond. I just love Barry´s simple melancholic tunes and therefore like Vesper´s theme and the other Arnold cues which ape/emulate Barry. Although Goldenthal surely could compose something like that, too.

Mendes has never worked with him before, right? He always uses Thomas Newman whose music I mostly experience as cool (although THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION has a very fine, traditional main theme that some people even consider schmaltzy - not me...)

#128 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:13 PM

No response to my post, Shark?

#129 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 04:26 PM

Shark, do you think John Williams's scoring would be a bit too... I guess, "big" for a Bond film? I love his work dearly, but I can't imagine the Williams who penned Duel of the Fates doing the subtlest Bond score... :S

Sure, but there's more than one side to Williams.

Off the top of my head, a few good examples:

Exhibit A

Exhibit B

Exhibit C

Exhibit D

Exhibit F

Exhibit G

#130 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 04:45 PM

Here's another from Williams, back when he was billed as Johnny and didn't have a big orchestra to work with:

And the theme to this (starting at 8:28):

#131 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 05:09 PM

Williams would be most interesting for a Bond score - but isn´t he only working with Spielberg these days and apart from that semi-retired?

#132 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 05:11 PM

but isn´t he only working with Spielberg these days and apart from that semi-retired?

That seems to be the case, sadly... :(

#133 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:07 PM

Jaime Alguersuari (under his alias DJ Squire):

Okay, maybe dance music isn't exactly what we all want for a Bond film. But compare him to to the likes of, say, the soul-destroying LMFAO:

I can't stand this "song". But I like Alguersuari's Organic Life. It might be a crazy idea, but maybe there's something in there.

#134 5thstreet

5thstreet

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:48 PM

Not bad at all...

Edited by 5thstreet, 05 October 2013 - 05:41 PM.

#135 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:07 PM

Generic RCP drones and ostinaos. Zero soul or personality.

#136 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:29 PM

I would totally be surprised and shaken to the core if Mendes chose not to ask Thomas Newman to return.

#137 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:07 PM

I would totally be surprised and shaken to the core if Mendes chose not to ask Thomas Newman to return.

As would I, but I know that won't happen.

#138 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:31 PM

As would I, but I know that won't happen.

Yep, almost certainly a done deal when Mendes signed up.

Btw, great avatar ! I'm so sad that show's over, but it ended perfectly - best thing to ever grace the small screen IMHO

#139 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 11:01 PM

For those who know about such things, what's the closest that Alexandre Desplat has got to an action score?

Just crossed my mind as he appears to be hot property right now, and I didn't want to clog the existing thread!

#140 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:11 AM

For those who know about such things, what's the closest that Alexandre Desplat has got to an action score?

HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS, ZERO DARK THIRTY, and GODZILLA.

#141 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 01:45 AM

Just crossed my mind as he appears to be hot property right now, and I didn't want to clog the existing thread!

Zero Dark Thirty and Godzilla are by far my favorite scores from him. As a whole though, I don't think he's a great composer, but I do like those two scores from him. Zero Dark Thirty more because he had only two weeks to score and really recorded some great stuff.

#142 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 01:39 PM

Christophe Beck.

That's a rather interesting choice. Especially considering most of his scores are for comedies.

Though his work on Edge Of Tomorrow wasn't too bad.

#143 Sir Godfrey

Sir Godfrey

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 02:35 PM

Desplat is too overrated. I am not found of his work.

I'd like Ludovic Bource composes a Bond score. I would be interesting.

Other choices : Michael Price, Steven Price or Heitor Pereira.

#144 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 02:44 PM

Christophe Beck.

That's a rather interesting choice. Especially considering most of his scores are for comedies.

Though his work on Edge Of Tomorrow wasn't too bad.

EoT was a great movie, but i can't say i remember the score - but, maybe i'm just not taking my cod liver oil tablets!

He's a very busy composer according to IMDB and covers many genres, though most comedy. He's score the new Terminator movie so that'll be a test of how he works with an established franchise with an established theme.

ETA: Personally i'm really looking forward to seeing what Zimmer finally does with Bond when Nolan inevitably directs.

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 11 February 2015 - 02:47 PM.

#145 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 08:20 PM

Alexandre Desplat
George Fenton

Henry Jackman

I wish they'd let David Arnold and Thomas Newman help compose the theme song too. It'd make their scores better and more coherent.

#146 graric

graric

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 172 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 02:24 AM

Alexandre Desplat
George Fenton

Henry Jackman

I wish they'd let David Arnold and Thomas Newman help compose the theme song too. It'd make their scores better and more coherent.

Definetly agree about the theme part- one of the strongest aspects of CR's score was the use of YKMN throughout- and even though Arnold didn't contribute to AWTD he did still manage to work small parts of it into his QoS score.

Hopefully Newman has some involvement in the upcoming theme song, and incorporates chunks of it into his SPECTRE score- the small part of Skyfall where he did manage to use Adele's song was one of my favourite parts of his score (and did add a nice, simple, melodic touch that wasn't as imediatly present in the rest of his score.)

Edited by graric, 24 March 2015 - 02:26 AM.

#147 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 02:31 AM

Alexandre Desplat
George Fenton

Henry Jackman

I know I've said it numerous times, but I'm not a fan of Desplat's scores. I've only enjoyed two or three, and I find him repetitive and boring. Same goes with Henry Jackman. Fenton isn't that bad.

I'm going to be the oddball and go with Philip Glass. The likelihood of that happening is probably way below slim.

#148 Admiral Messervey

Admiral Messervey

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 12:48 AM

Williams would be most interesting for a Bond score - but isn´t he only working with Spielberg these days and apart from that semi-retired?

*cough*Star Wars: Ep 7*cough*

#149 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 03:16 AM

*cough*Star Wars: Ep 7*cough*

Not to mention he had a minor health issue to attend to which caused Spielberg to replace him for his upcoming film Bridge Of Spies with Thomas Newman.

#150 5thstreet

5thstreet

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 05:16 PM

Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross

The most original composers out there and who can create the correct mood.