This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Who do you want for Bond 7? * POLL ADDED*

4014 replies to this topic

Poll: In lieu of proper news, let's have an opinion...

Do you think Daniel Craig will return for BOND 25?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Now that's out of the way, do you WANT Daniel Craig to return as Bond?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Suppose Daniel Craig will be back as 007, for how many films would you wish to see him back?

Should Daniel Craig not return as James Bond, would you want the current timeline continued?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#2611 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 10:48 AM

The original report was that betting on Hiddleston was suspended - which it indeed was - with the alleged meeting and a subsequent rush of bets on Hiddleston given as the reason. It's perfectly possible the reason for these events was something else entirely. The betting market is much bigger than what can be seen on Ladbrokes...

#2612 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 10:57 AM

The original report was that betting on Hiddleston was suspended - which it indeed was - with the alleged meeting and a subsequent rush of bets on Hiddleston given as the reason. It's perfectly possible the reason for these events was something else entirely. The betting market is much bigger than what can be seen on Ladbrokes...

I remember a betting officer talking about this in regards to who was playing The Doctor in Doctor Who (it was after a rush of bets for Patterson Joseph as The Eleventh Doctor if I remember right) He was saying it has nothing to do how true they think it actually is and more to do with the way it sways the odds so dramatically - It was something to with the risk of a version of insider trading, but I didn't quite get what he meant at the time.

#2613 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 11:06 AM

Just so. Plenty of money in that grey betting market, some of it pretty dirty too. And part of it is located far away from events, on the Balkan or Asia even. Trust that over there insider knowledge isn't the only thing to fear...

#2614 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 02:27 PM

Guess that's the end of Mendes' contributions. I appreciate everything he gave us (the good and the bad). Time for some new blood.

Yes, same feelings here. Him and Daniel will be remembered as a good duo for the series. Now we just need another working duo perhaps. Tom Hiddleston and Kenneth Branagh? Yes, I could definitely see that happening. And after Dunkirk (2017), from Nolan, I´m not aware of any new big gig for Branagh. Besides, who would have the balls and ego to follow Mendes? Both shakespearian, theatre inclined film makers. And he is a close friend of Tom. Now, all they need is a couple of phone calls. While their at it, they could bring Derek Jacobi or Brian Blessed as villains. 

#2615 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 03:24 PM

Regardless of the original tabloid reports, we now have credible sources indicating that Hiddleston has had talks with EON. It's anyone's guess as to how substantial those talks actually were.

Branagh? After THOR and JACK RYAN, I don't want him near Bond, but he's definitely a plausible candidate.

#2616 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 03:45 PM

Branagh? After THOR and JACK RYAN, I don't want him near Bond, but he's definitely a plausible candidate.

Well, someone can make Road to Perdition and then Spectre. So I guess someone could make Hamlet (1996) and then Jack Ryan. Not everyone is a Kubrickian constant. Not that I think Spectre and Ryan are in the same league. The Ryan flick was really, really poor and forgettable.

#2617 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 03:48 PM

Well, someone can make Road to Perdition and then Spectre. So I guess someone could make Hamlet (1996) and then Jack Ryan. Not everyone is a Kubrickian constant.
It's true, but it demonstrates that Branagh doesn't really do blockbuster filmmaking well. But who knows how he'd do with the EON machine behind him?

(FWIW, I don't really like his Shakespeare stuff much, either.)

#2618 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 04:28 PM

(FWIW, I don't really like his Shakespeare stuff much, either.)

I do, some, not all of it. 

#2619 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 09:46 PM

So, no Mendes = no Thomas Newman? And if so, we could be looking at a total reshape. New Bond actor, new director, new composer, ...

#2620 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 10:20 PM

So, no Mendes = no Thomas Newman? And if so, we could be looking at a total reshape. New Bond actor, new director, new composer, ...

They might bring Arnold back.

#2621 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 10:24 PM

They might bring Arnold back.

They might. Not a bad thing, perhaps. The guy was always a true fan. And if he puts his Stargate mode on, or if he brings his QOS freshness or TND coolness, we may get something interesting again. 

#2622 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 11:56 PM

I wouldn't be against Arnold returning. I like his TND, CR and QoS scores quite a bit.

#2623 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 01:47 AM

There are more exciting choices, but I wouldn't complain if Arnold came back.

#2624 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 05:28 AM

True, it could mean Newman is out, too.

But while I very much enjoyed his two contributions I do think it is time for a shake-up in every department.  So, yeah, bring in a new composer - or, should Arnold be invited back into the family, let him do a traditional Bond score again.

#2625 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 06:31 AM

With this article confirming Mendes won't be back and Hiddleston may not be in the new Bond, it does make me think they might be considering a relative unknown, as we've previously discussed.

https://www.theguard...-tom-hiddleston

#2626 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 07:40 AM

I already said this, it's strange how Mendes deals himself out of Bond for the foreseeable future, yet he seems to be in-the-know enough to convincingly claim the public would be surprised about the next choice for the role. One should think it's either or, in or out. Unless he's speaking in a very general way about it here.

#2627 wdj89

wdj89

Cadet

• Crew
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 08:12 AM

I think he's speaking very generally - sort of saying "Barbara Broccoli picked Daniel Craig so you can be sure she'll pick someone you wouldn't expect and he'll be great because she's got a good eye"

BUT - i wouldn't be surprised if for the moment with no new director and a good relationship with Mendes, EON are still using him in some kind of advisory capacity 

Edited by wdj89, 30 May 2016 - 08:14 AM.

#2628 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 08:24 AM

Mendes definitely knows lots of great actors in film and theatre - therefore BB definitely will use him to make contacts.  Maybe that´s how the meeting with Hiddleston was facilitated.

I agree - Mendes is probably just saying it in general.  Should Hiddleston in fact be cast nobody will remember the Mendes quote anyway. 

Nobody but us hardcare fans, of course.

#2629 Pierceuhhh

Pierceuhhh

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 09:01 AM

Hiddleston was offered the role a couple of weeks ago. But you didn't hear it from me! Whether it will result in him starring in the next Bond, or whether it's just to make Craig sweat, I don't know. I'd put money on the former - and it looks like someone else in the know has too.

I'd love to see Mendes return a few films from now. I've always enjoyed the revolving door of directors. General consensus is Gilbert and Campbell did their best work after a stint away.

Edited by Pierceuhhh, 30 May 2016 - 09:02 AM.

#2630 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 09:35 AM

Hiddleston was offered the role a couple of weeks ago. But you didn't hear it from me! Whether it will result in him starring in the next Bond, or whether it's just to make Craig sweat, I don't know. I'd put money on the former - and it looks like someone else in the know has too.

I'd love to see Mendes return a few films from now. I've always enjoyed the revolving door of directors. General consensus is Gilbert and Campbell did their best work after a stint away.

How nice to have an insider here ;)

So Mendes says for the record that the choice of next Bond actor would surprise everyone and then the bookies favourite, Hiddleston, gets the part... That'd leave Mendes looking a right tw@t !

Is there a reason why Newman won't return without Mendes - are they joined at the hip?  I think it depends upon who they hire as the next director.

#2631 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 09:53 AM

A-list directors always bring in their trusted allies.  Hence Newman and Deakins.

The next director will make a push to be allowed the same.

Okay, I´m biting.  Send me a pm, please, so I´ll know why you have that kind of insider knowledge - or not.

#2632 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 11:04 AM

How nice to have an insider here ;)

So Mendes says for the record that the choice of next Bond actor would surprise everyone and then the bookies favourite, Hiddleston, gets the part... That'd leave Mendes looking a right tw@t

No, that doesn't sound very convincing. If things would be at any definite stage - like an outright offer would be - I feel fairly sure Mendes would just keep mum about it. Nobody forced him to say what he said, he would indeed come across very strange if things had preoceeded in this manner. To me it's far more feasible that they are just 'looking' at the goods now.

#2633 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 11:13 AM

Mendes' comments chime much better with the [disturbing] Jaimie Bell rumour, than with Hiddleston.

On the subject of Bell, he looks a little like a young Craig, which i find depressingly ironic if the rumour of Eon's interest in him is true. With Craig they ignored the accepted 'Bond look', prioritising acting chops and presence instead, for which i'm sure we all applaud Eon. With Bell it seems that they are back to prioritising looks, only now they're trying to find someone with the 'young-Craig' look. It's a mad world.

#2634 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 11:35 AM

I think at the moment Eon are working on a small list of candidates, perhaps no more than five or six. For these they will probably arrange screen tests and then have probably three or four left which they can present a studio. With one favourite name...

#2635 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 12:13 PM

Considering Bell - I´m sure that is a fabricated rumour.  He is currently shooting a project that BB is producing, so it´s only natural that they talk.  Only the (uninformed) press turns that into talks about him becoming Bond.

#2636 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 12:43 PM

Considering Bell - I´m sure that is a fabricated rumour.  He is currently shooting a project that BB is producing, so it´s only natural that they talk.  Only the (uninformed) press turns that into talks about him becoming Bond.

Agreed. BB knows what she's doing (I hope) and I think she will have a small number of actors on her radar that will most probably be unknown. 

#2637 Tiin007

Tiin007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1696 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 01:24 PM

I agree with all who have said that Mendes was speaking in generalities, praising BB for her ability to think outside of the box yet still hire a fantastic Bond (as was the case with Craig). I really don't know why so many people take him to mean that BB already chose someone completely off the radar-- contextually, it's clear that that's not what he meant.

Also, while it seems likely Mendes has been somewhat involved (making connections and the like), I wouldn't be surprised if BB made an official offer without telling him. So I don't think it would be crazy if Hiddleston had received an actual offer and Mendes was unaware.

And even if Mendes did in fact know of an actual offer that occurred, I wouldn't take his comment too literally. To quote Craig's Bond (QoS?): "It's all misdirection." 

#2638 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 02:47 PM

And one should not consider Mendes to be absolutely informed, nor saying the whole truth.  

His statement basically is a PR-blurb, praising BB.  He might not even know that his meeting with her and Hiddleston was reported in the tabloids. Guys like him don´t look out for every tiny piece of Bond news like we do ;-)

#2639 wdj89

wdj89

Cadet

• Crew
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 05:23 PM

From what I know, babs keeps onatopp of things in the film world very well (up and coming actors and the like) especially the theatre scene in the UK (i.e.: Whishaw casting). Jamie Bell is working on a film with her at the moment and obviously Hiddleston is somewhat in the mix but I bet theres some other people who are on cable TV shows or in theatre that she would be looking at too - maybe another Aussie?

#2640 Gay Bond

Gay Bond

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 07:06 PM

Brian Blessed as villains. 

God please make this happen!

Has Craig actually ruled out another film then? Because if he hasn't, I can only imagine how pi55ed off he must be feeling, reading all the anticipation about the next Bond actor. Even if he was thinking of one more, it's probably been enough to have swayed him against continuing, which would be sad.