92 replies to this topic

#91 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:22 PM

Come on Zorin, bagging on someone with a cheap (arf!) shot like that for suggesting a director who isn't going to even be considred and whom they've admitted wont anyway is unnecessary and nasty. Why not use your ammo to target those who insist a Bond film must be directed by a certain fanboy favourite...

Ok. I take it back. I am a bit of practise at this Zorin game having been away in hot climes. I always admire Solace's enthusiasm as he/she well knows, and - as you fairly claim - is it is a change from the norm...

Put it down to sunstroke.

#92 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:35 PM

Thank God for that - I thought all the Bond admirers had been initiated into the merchant Ivory set when wasn't looking.

BTW, nice animation Shark. If there was a God, then Chris Nolan would be shooting Bond23 - no competition.

I'm curious, how long has a rather sizable chunk of people around here been pro-Nolan? Since Insomnia? Batman Begins? The Prestige? The Dark Knight? I mean obviously some people would've been pro-Nolan before others, but it seems lately there's a good number of people who are all in the pro-Nolan camp, and I'm simply curious for the sake of being curious I suppose, but c'est la moi.

I've been pro-Nolan since his astonishing Hollywood debut Momento (i've yet to see his low-budget, first feature brit movie 'Following'.

Insomnia cemented him as an interesting competent filmmaker to watch.

Batman Begins blew the competition out of the water in terms of contemporary mainstream action. Perhaps it wasn'e up their with John McTiernan in his mid-eighties heyday, but then came Dark Knight - a kind of action movie made by Stanley Kubrick.

For me there's no question now that he's the foremost talent in mainstream, yet intellectual filmmaking. There's no better writer/director to steer Bond toward ever greater heights.

It's a bonus that he's said how much he like the Bond movies and he approached Batman Begins as though it were a Bond flick.

#93 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:19 AM

Hey, simply wanted to counter your Observer quote. Lets not get the old 'everyones entitled to their opinion' argument out - the point of a forum is debate these opinions.

I don't disparage JW because he's an over-privileged result of nepotism, but because i think his work is turgid, self-important and highly mediocre. It plays to the vanities of an equally over-privileged minority and i don't want to see Bond go that way. Nor do Eon by the looks of it; they approached truly talented filmmaker Danny Boyle to shoot Bond23. Sadly he said no, but that approach gives me reason to trust that Eon want vigor, rather than vanity.

It's typical to be labeled as someone who 'mocks success in Britain', just because i think a particular British export [JW] is a bit crap. I support the success of Slumdog Millionaire - it captured imaginations and hearts across the planet and across the spectrum of class and intellect.

And who on earth used the word intellectual as a derogatory term? Not me! I don't find JW's work intellectual at all. It dresses as intellectual, but underneath is merely Jerry Bruckheimer for the aspiring middle classes.

Well, like I said, you're entitled to your opinion, as I am mine. But I should much rather see Joe Wright direct Bond 23 than the (in my opinion) vastly overrated Danny Boyle. Personally, I found Slumdog Millionaire ghastly...

Secondly, there is NO story in this Joe Wright comment. It is an example of a magazine such as Empire wanting a closing flourish. It means nothing. The fact that it is printed in Empire magazine is NOTHING. The fact that people are telling other people it is printed in Empire magazine is NOTHING.

Quite, I said this a few pages ago. Shame though; I still think he's a bloody good director... Enjoy your hols.