Your 1st (or Most Memorable experience) seeing Licence to Kill

37 replies to this topic

#31 SpyMaster

SpyMaster

Recruit

• Crew
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 08:16 PM

My first memory of seeing LTK was in the winter of July 1989 at the Ocean City Cinema complex in Durban South Africa. It has since closed but part of the building still remains an ice rink. The lines to the box office, seemed to never end, but I managed to cut in on the pretex of buying some snacks and got tickets for myself and my family. This was during the almost crumble of apartheid and we thought we'd be kicked out for such behaviour. Nonetheless, we got good seats and I was extremely pleased with Dalton's performance. I subsequently got the LP then CD soundtrack, VHS, LaserDisc copies, then Special Edition, Ultimate Edition DVD's and now finally the HD Blu-Ray. IMHO, Dalton is as closest to Fleming's 007 as Ian himself. B)

#32 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:36 AM

I wish i had deeper thoughts on the subject but i don't.
I first saw the film on VHS during the special edition releases.
I watched it & enjoyed it but felt afterwards that it was missing all the Bond elements.I put it back in it's box & shelved it with the rest of my new bond special edition VHSs. Though an average bond film upon first viewing it has now grown on me over time.So much so that it's now in my top 10 bond films.

#33 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 05:05 AM

Now on the CBn main page...

Posted Image
CBn Forum members remember Timothy Dalton's second outing as 007

#34 Syndicate

Syndicate

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 06:19 AM

The first time I saw Licence To Kill was in a movie theater, I was a little late there. I had already missed the trailers before the movie the gunbarrel part and a little bit after that. When I was walking to my seat to sit down it was when Michael G. Wilson did his line, and Sanchez's plane was landing.Then I did not know that was Michael G. Wilson, and sometime appear in the Bond movies for a few seconds to a minute. I had went to the the theater with my little sister and little brother, they would watch Lethal Weapon 2 But when I came out from the theater, I ask them how was Lethal Weapon 2. My little sister said the theater would not let them watch it. My little sister was just a year younger then me and my little brother two years younger.

When I saw Licence To Kill it was the summer after 10th grade in July. The Tuesday before the movie came out, I had went to Tower Record/Video and got the soundtrack on tape. Then CDs cost alot more like Blu-Rays today, and I did not have CD player yet either. Licence To Kill was also the first James Bond movie I saw in theaters, before that was on ABC, when they showed it as Sunday night movie, and when they showed it as movie special for any other nights. As I remember there was not alot of TV ads for Licence To Kill shown on TV. It like not alot was given to the movie during commerical time at any hour of the day. There was also no tie-in magazine from starlog at all.

Edited by Syndicate, 05 August 2009 - 03:43 AM.

#35 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 10:07 PM

Q sent in a enemy territory to do the comical note (Q being worth more than the whole 00 department it was a strange choice).

You do realize Q is meeting with Bond at the request of Moneypenny right? He's not doing this because the department told him to, he's doing it as a personal favor to a friend.

#36 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 02:35 AM

Posted Image
CBn Forum members remember Timothy Dalton's second outing as 007

#37 darthbond

darthbond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 03:01 PM

I remember the first time I saw Licence to Kill very well. After I went to a James Bond Convention in Canada around 2004, I thought I oughta check these films out. The fisrt one I bought was Die Another Day, which for the most part I loved. The next one I found was Licence to Kill and it was at a pawn shop. I had only heard that it was Dalton's last Bond film. I wasn't looking forward to watching Dalton, as I thought (at the time) that he looked sub-par for Bond. But I bought it anyways and sat down in my sister's master bedroom (as it was the only tv not being used.) I got to the title Menu on the Dvd and I knew it was going to be different. For the next 2 hours, I don't recall moving or blinking.

It was the first Bond Film where I loved every aspect of it. The revenge story, the always beautiful Talisa Soto, the nasty Robert Davi, the sinster Benico Del Toro. It was a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon. And to this day, I am always blown away by it.

darthbond

#38 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 04:39 PM

Q sent in a enemy territory to do the comical note (Q being worth more than the whole 00 department it was a strange choice).

You do realize Q is meeting with Bond at the request of Moneypenny right? He's not doing this because the department told him to, he's doing it as a personal favor to a friend.

Yes, and you do realize that Q would never been allowed to go there personal favor or not. While an ex-007 is easily expendable the head of an important department is most certainly not.

Q does tell Bond he's on leave. I find it hard to believe even Boothroyd doesn't get vacation time.