40 replies to this topic

#31 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 04:04 PM

How dull can NYC be? NYC it's not dull! It's gorgeuous, glamorous and screams James Bond all over it B) I've been there last week (the weather was fabulous!) and i thought to myself that James Bond should have a great car sequence thru Manhattan (Park Avenue, Madison, 5th Avenue, Central Park). :tdown:

Exactly!

(incidentally, what are the temperatures like in the Summer in New York? Bearable?)

#32 RufusCobb

RufusCobb

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 05:02 PM

its modernism would be a welcome antidote to the ornate European-ness of SOLACE and ROYALE.

That ornate European-ness is exactly why I love CR and QoS and I was glad to see it returned to Bond movies. Its what seperates the (good) Bond films from every other action franchise.

NYC just seems so generic. Ive never been there but could name twenty streets because Im so familiar with the city from a hundred other movies. Its just not interesting or original enough to me to be a Bond location.

I have a problem with Bond carrying on missions in the US in general too, apart from the dull locations. Like, why is MI6 doing it and not the CIA or NSA? Wouldnt it be easier for MI6 just to hand it over than to cause an international incident and send a MI6 agent in? I dunno, the idea of Bond carrying out missions within a friendly country which also has the biggest spy agency on earth seems silly me.

But If we need to see Bond in one of the Wests great and overly filmed snd familiar cities it might as well just be London. Bond carrying out a mission in his own home town might be somewhat interesting.

You ask why would MI6 do a job in the US which is CIA territory and then say you would like to see Bond on a mission in London, but that is where MI5 operate. UK stuff is done by MI5 and overseas ops by MI6. Or so we are told.

(And then we get claims by terrorist suspects that MI5 agents turn up a their interrogations in other countries.)

But hey! We are talking about fiction here.

#33 jamie00007

jamie00007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 10:41 PM

How dull can NYC be? NYC it's not dull! It's gorgeuous, glamorous and screams James Bond all over it B) I've been there last week (the weather was fabulous!) and i thought to myself that James Bond should have a great car sequence thru Manhattan (Park Avenue, Madison, 5th Avenue, Central Park). :tdown:

Its been done many times, and could be just as easily fitting for any generic american action hero. Im not saying NYC is dull, Im saying its a dull location because Ive seen it in a million other movies and sitcoms. When the announcements of the locations to be used for QoS were announced, I was excited. They were exotic, beautiful and rarely used in film. I couldnt wait to see they'd look like on screen. But I would struggle to work up anything other than a yawn for the announcement of NYC as a location, maybe the most un-exotic and over-exposed city in the world.

I dunno, I just dont see the appeal in seeing what any action hero could provide. Most action movies are set in NYC, Chicago, LA, San Fran etc. The thing I love about Bond is that being an international man of mystery he can take us to all these other locations through the world that wouldnt make sense to all the other action heroes.

You ask why would MI6 do a job in the US which is CIA territory and then say you would like to see Bond on a mission in London, but that is where MI5 operate. UK stuff is done by MI5 and overseas ops by MI6. Or so we are told.

(And then we get claims by terrorist suspects that MI5 agents turn up a their interrogations in other countries.)

But hey! We are talking about fiction here.

Its still a lot more believable than the idea of Bond operating in the US. And I wouldnt want to see it, but if we HAD to have a big super-city, at least London could keep the British flavour.

Edited by jamie00007, 14 July 2009 - 11:46 PM.

#34 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 11:09 PM

In the novel MOONRAKER which was set entirely in England, Bond was candidly granted permission to operate within the UK by the PM, so I wouldn't mind something along the lines of that.

I'd also say that NY, while a beautiful and city probably one of the best in the world, has been overused recently by action flicks including Bourne, I'd prefer something different.

Edited by The Shark, 14 July 2009 - 11:10 PM.

#35 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 02:47 PM

In the novel MOONRAKER which was set entirely in England, Bond was candidly granted permission to operate within the UK by the PM, so I wouldn't mind something along the lines of that.

I'd also say that NY, while a beautiful and city probably one of the best in the world, has been overused recently by action flicks including Bourne, I'd prefer something different.

But logic dictates New york should be used at somepoint in the craig era.

Quantum is thus far an ecnomic terrorist group looking to suttly make the most amount of money piossible

Wall Street HAS to be in their mode of operations!

#36 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 03:29 PM

I would like to see Bond go back to an old flame. :tdown:

Maybe Quantum has taken a liberty by using it for it's headquarters, and Mr Greene is a code name after the colour of the statue. B)

#37 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 04:35 PM

This whole idea sounds really contrived in my opinion.

#38 Martini

Martini

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 208 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:42 AM

While reading the thread-topic I thought of that: The gunbarrel-opening appears, and the first shot after it is a flight toward the face of Lady Liberty which leads to the crown, where Bond is meeting someone.

Could be a nice opening of The Property of a Lady... B)

#39 RufusCobb

RufusCobb

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 02:44 PM

You're right, I stand corrected. It took me a while to check the book and it does take special dispensation from the PM to allow him to operate in the UK, so there is no reason why it cannot happen again. Particularly, I'm thinking, if the investigation starts overseas and then leads to the UK ala Die Another Day.

#40 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 12:51 AM

You're right, I stand corrected. It took me a while to check the book and it does take special dispensation from the PM to allow him to operate in the UK, so there is no reason why it cannot happen again. Particularly, I'm thinking, if the investigation starts overseas and then leads to the UK ala Die Another Day.

Precisely, except not as ****. B)

#41 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:13 AM

well i want a more urban feel for bond 23 perhaps Melbourne Australia New york city and a climax in london (to apease moonraker the novel fans B) )

that would be a cool and pelase everyone i think. I'm not lamentiing sorry I want Bond 23 to film relativly near me you have 3 ctities New York Boston and Washington D.C. NY seems the most likely out of the 3.