52 replies to this topic

#31 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 06:38 PM

I'm happy with the use of Bond theme in Craig's era. I think it was overused is Brosnan's films and I would hate to see a return to that kind of scoring.
Personally, I don't think CR suffered AT ALL for its lack of Bond theme. Felt like one of the most Bondian adventures for me notwithstanding the theme's sporadic use.

#32 Mike00spy

Mike00spy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 07:14 PM

Obviously, more Bond theme. His generic action music doesn't quite fit the bill. (Except for the Palio- I do adore that track).

#33 AgentBentley

AgentBentley

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:52 AM

I'm in the 'more Bond theme' camp, though there should also be room for other stuff, for a soundtrack album that's more than just the title song and the Bond theme.

#34 gt007

gt007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 41 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 03:13 PM

Even though they lacked the Bond theme, Arnold's last two scores are very good. Especially his work on QOS is different than his previous ones and includes some of his best tracks (like Inside Man and Night At The Opera).

However, I do believe the Bond theme should return. Bond has become Bond and things like the gunbarrel and the Bond theme have to return.

In BOND 23, I'd love the Bond theme to be heard when Bond does something cool, and subtly in different scenes. But as said, leave room for other stuff too.

#35 Sark2.0

Sark2.0

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 332 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 02:42 AM

I'm definitely in the 'more Bond theme' camp. I also wish they'd bring back the action themes from the Connery era.

#36 Fan

Fan

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 68 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 06:04 AM

There's a part of me that would kill to see the return of the On Her Majesty's Secret Service theme. I don't think it would "cheapen" its impact in the original film. I remember there were rumours it'd feature in CR.

It did. B)

In lack of better words: Huh? :tdown:

Listen to 'Trip Aces'. It appears towards the end. :tdown:

At 1:11

#37 QOS007

QOS007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 01:44 AM

I would not mind hearing Arnold trying his hand at the 007 theme. I just hope i dont regret this. as pertaining to the bond theme it needs to blare in classic form when Daniel just does something that makes you say thats something Sean would do or something Roger would do

#38 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 01:50 AM

Even though they lacked the Bond theme, Arnold's last two scores are very good. Especially his work on QOS is different than his previous ones and includes some of his best tracks (like Inside Man and Night At The Opera).

However, I do believe the Bond theme should return. Bond has become Bond and things like the gunbarrel and the Bond theme have to return.

In BOND 23, I'd love the Bond theme to be heard when Bond does something cool, and subtly in different scenes. But as said, leave room for other stuff too.

Agreed. I am a big fan of David Arnold and I can see why the producers love him so much too. He is the perfect composer for the Bond movies at this time.

I would probably like to hear the Bond theme a little more often - even just once in an action scene would be good.

#39 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 03:00 AM

I like the way Arnold dropped a hint of the Bond theme with an Italian feel when the Aston Martin enters the catacombs at the end of the QoS precredits.

If he can mix the theme in to make his action music more memorable, do it. Action music is one of Arnold's biggest flaws as so much of it is unmemorable, save for parts of things like African Rundown, for instance. By contrast, Miami International is one of the most forgettable pieces of music in the series.

#40 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 10:23 PM

I don't feel that the Bond theme should be used as an action theme. So many times that Barry used it it was for different occasions, sure he sprinkled it here and there. But for the most part it was not an action theme.

#41 General Malice

General Malice

Cadet

• Crew
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 10:38 PM

An old schoolfriend of mine was so obsessed with the Bond theme that he (seriously) would never watch a Bond film without his walkman on. He would play the music at a low volume throughout the whole film - even in the cinema.

Now, I rather like the theme to pop up a few times, but possibly not quite that often...

#42 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 11:23 PM

So many times that Barry used it it was for different occasions, sure he sprinkled it here and there. But for the most part it was not an action theme.

It was Barry's music, but he never got credit for it. So I think the theory that he tried to avoid the Bondtheme as much as possible makes sense. Maybe also a reason why he came up with the 007-theme.

#43 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 09:08 AM

So many times that Barry used it it was for different occasions, sure he sprinkled it here and there. But for the most part it was not an action theme.

It was Barry's music, but he never got credit for it. So I think the theory that he tried to avoid the Bondtheme as much as possible makes sense. Maybe also a reason why he came up with the 007-theme.

Whatever the reason for it, it made it special. Hearing it once or twice fully in a Bond film used to be something special. During the Brosnan era Arnold overused it so much that it's lost some of it's magic. Though now that he's underplayed it in the Craig era, I think having at least one sequence where it's played to the full (and not just over the credits) would be something special.

#44 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:41 AM

Anyone totally dig the Bond theme Arnold used at the climax of Pursuit At Port Au Prince in Quantum Of Solace? I got goosebumps in the cinema at that. That would be the kind of Bond theme I would like in Bond 23, but used a lot more.

#45 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:46 AM

I don't feel that the Bond theme should be used as an action theme. So many times that Barry used it it was for different occasions, sure he sprinkled it here and there. But for the most part it was not an action theme.

I know what you mean. I loved how Barry used the James Bond Theme in From Russia With Love when Bond was snooping around his hotel room. A relatively mundane task lacking any real excitement, but very Bondian.

#46 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:52 AM

It always felt out of place to me, but I see what you mean. It adds to the charm. I bet you couldn't get away with the Bond theme blaring in the background when Bond was checking his hotel room today. B)

#47 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 11:50 AM

It always felt out of place to me, but I see what you mean. It adds to the charm. I bet you couldn't get away with the Bond theme blaring in the background when Bond was checking his hotel room today. :tdown:

Bond checks his hotel room today? B) Where have I been?

#48 DominicGreene

DominicGreene

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 12:26 PM

Anyone totally dig the Bond theme Arnold used at the climax of Pursuit At Port Au Prince in Quantum Of Solace? I got goosebumps in the cinema at that. That would be the kind of Bond theme I would like in Bond 23, but used a lot more.

Yes I loved it! The end was the best part! I got goosebumps as well.

#49 Automan

Automan

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 01:38 PM

No matter how good the new stuff is we still need a blast of the old theme to sir us.
inn the QOS trailers they used the theme and it really worke

#50 darthbond

darthbond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 05:17 PM

There's a part of me that would kill to see the return of the On Her Majesty's Secret Service theme. I don't think it would "cheapen" its impact in the original film. I remember there were rumours it'd feature in CR.

It did. B)

In lack of better words: Huh? :tdown:

Listen to 'Trip Aces'. It appears towards the end. :tdown:

At 1:11

I think that is a bit of a stretch there, don't you?

Arnold said (If I remember right) that OHMSS was his model for the CR score, and I indeed hear it, but I don't remember him ever saying that the theme would be there.

Just for the record, I'm satisfied easily with just hints, but I do agree that every once in a while during the movie, for a nice rendition of the theme, sort of like Oil Fields.

The next time they want to use a model movie score for Bond, I'll put in my vote for Thunderball.

darthbond

#51 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 05:32 PM

It always felt out of place to me, but I see what you mean. It adds to the charm. I bet you couldn't get away with the Bond theme blaring in the background when Bond was checking his hotel room today. :tdown:

Bond checks his hotel room today? B) Where have I been?

I was refering to the Bond theme blaring loudly when he's checking his room.

#52 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 05:34 PM

Never mind the Bond theme; I want a Wilhelm scream! It's been in hundreds of other films (including two different film series), so why not Bond? B)

#53 jamie00007

jamie00007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:32 PM

It depends on the mood of the movie. With the more sombre and serious tone of QoS, blasting out the bombastic Bond theme would have just broken the mood and not fit at all, and I think they were far better off doing what they did and incorporating it more subtly into the score. If the next film is (as I hope) a more relaxed, fun and traditional Bond movie I'll be all for it returning.

The thing they need to concentrate on is just making a good movie, not trying to tick all the Bond formula boxes, I dont want to see them go back down that road. If putting in a catchphrase or the Bond theme will ultimately be to the detriment of the overall film despite giving fans a quick thrill, it should be left out.