61 replies to this topic

#31 B. Brown

B. Brown

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 477 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 11:01 PM

My most memorable experience was watching the film with my parents at age 12 or so.

We were all in the family living room. My Dad ended up falling asleep in his chair, and I think my Mom picked up a book. At the end, they both said they enjoyed it... B)

#32 Tubes

Tubes

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 11:05 PM

Moonraker was the fourth Bond film I saw (after TND, GF, and TB) and the third I owned. For the longest time, the only Bond films I owned where GF, TB and MR and MR was the one I watched the most. Quite a few memories involve me being plopped in front of the big screen in the family room as the first notes of Shirley Bassey's song came up over the surround speakers.

#33 jrcjohnny99

jrcjohnny99

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 11:45 PM

Before I had even seen the movie, my grandparents bought me two of the official toys that came out in 1979 - a Drax space shuttle and Corinne's helicopter. I remember playing with them a lot.

I finally saw Moonraker on BBC TV when I was 9 years old in 1983. I think it may have premiered on Christmas Day that year.

I always remember loving the fact that Jaws was back in this one, and was looking forward to the stunts, the special effects and the baddies. Hugo Drax didn't let me down with his sinister voice and great lines ("Make sure some harm comes to him").

This has got to be one of the most fun 007 adventures and there are so many great locations - California, Venice, Rio, the Amazon rainforest and space! There are probably more action scenes in this entry than any other Bond film. The free-fall opening, the centrifuge, the hover gondola chase, the fight with Chang, the cable car fight with Jaws, falling out the back of an ambulance (an often forgotten scene), a fight with a python and a space battle. What more could you ask for as a 9 year old watching a movie?!

It's still fun to watch today, 30 years on.

It was actually premiered at Christmas in 82, but it was on ITV of course not BBC.

#34 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 12:22 AM

Before I had even seen the movie, my grandparents bought me two of the official toys that came out in 1979 - a Drax space shuttle and Corinne's helicopter. I remember playing with them a lot.

I finally saw Moonraker on BBC TV when I was 9 years old in 1983. I think it may have premiered on Christmas Day that year.

I always remember loving the fact that Jaws was back in this one, and was looking forward to the stunts, the special effects and the baddies. Hugo Drax didn't let me down with his sinister voice and great lines ("Make sure some harm comes to him").

This has got to be one of the most fun 007 adventures and there are so many great locations - California, Venice, Rio, the Amazon rainforest and space! There are probably more action scenes in this entry than any other Bond film. The free-fall opening, the centrifuge, the hover gondola chase, the fight with Chang, the cable car fight with Jaws, falling out the back of an ambulance (an often forgotten scene), a fight with a python and a space battle. What more could you ask for as a 9 year old watching a movie?!

It's still fun to watch today, 30 years on.

It was actually premiered at Christmas in 82, but it was on ITV of course not BBC.

OK, thanks. I've just realised that the first time it was shown on Christmas Day was in 1985 on ITV at 3.05pm after the Queen's speech, so that would have been my first time seeing it all the way through.

#35 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 04:38 AM

I'd have to say that my most memorable experience has to be my latest viewing. Not having seen it in a year or two because of how much I despised its silliness, I popped it in and sat in awe of the brilliantly fun movie I'd been missing for years. I was totally blown away in surprise; where had I been?? Why in the world was I lamenting a lack of grit when there was this ridiculous, damn well-made spectacle right under my nose?

I'm happy to be able to enjoy MOONRAKER like a kid, or at least a loosened up adult. I feel like a kid who kept refusing to go to the pool party because I got splashed that one time. Never too late to learn to swim!

#36 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 02:14 AM

Now on the CBn main page...

Posted Image
Where all the other Bonds end... this one begins! (Part I)

#37 jrcjohnny99

jrcjohnny99

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 04:53 AM

Watched it this weekend to celebrate it's 30th anniversary;
Wonderful experience with good friends and buckets of popcorn!
Can recommend it to anyone!

Next up; OHMSS 40 year anniversary!

#38 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 10:40 AM

MOONRAKER was my second-ever Bond film that I watched and being nine years old at the time (1980), I ate it all up. I took my adventure movies at face value and didn't necessarily notice the dopey humor, except when the adults in the room with me laughed. Back then, adventure was serious and comedy was funny (hopefully). I didn't always see that one could include the other. Anyway, I loved MR when I first saw it, and it captured my imagination--sounds silly saying that now--the laser gun fights, the space scenes, Jaws' return, the fight in the museum... my friends and I played our Star Wars action figures in our own deeply derivative version of MR, with me getting the "plum" role of 007, since I was the only one who'd seen the movie at that point.

Watching Moonraker as an adult, I enjoy it for all the wrong reasons: the campiness, the sexual innuendo, the wonderfully dated safari suits, the egregious advertising. Yes, I love Moonraker still, but on an entirely different level.

"Take me 'round the world one more time." So bad it's brilliant.

Edited by Brian Flagg, 30 June 2009 - 06:36 PM.

#39 Stainless Steel Teeth INC

Stainless Steel Teeth INC

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 02:12 PM

The best thing about being a child is experiencing things without the burden of logic and cynicism.

I was eight years old and Moonraker was my first experience of Bond on the bigscreen. It's expertly crafted collection of action, adventure, humour & effects cemented my love for a character that has lasted ever since. With hindsight I appreciate it's shortcomings, especially when compared to some of the earlier more 'grounded' films but for a generation of fans this (along with TSWLM) is where it all began and set a standard by which all other 007 films were judged.

I arguably doubt there has been a better shot or 'designed' Bond film since then (thank you Mr Adam) and the score achieves the impossible by lending a majesty to the outrageous nature of the climax. At a time when I firmly believed that good would always conquer evil, Bond showed me that one person could make a difference.

Over the course of 18 months my first few films in the cinema included Star Wars, Superman the Movie & Moonraker. I couldn't have asked for a better start and for that reason Roger Moore will always be my favourite Bond and MR one of the films that let me dream without burden.

Paul.

#40 jrcjohnny99

jrcjohnny99

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 03:46 PM

The best thing about being a child is experiencing things without the burden of logic and cynicism.

I was eight years old and Moonraker was my first experience of Bond on the bigscreen. It's expertly crafted collection of action, adventure, humour & effects cemented my love for a character that has lasted ever since. With hindsight I appreciate it's shortcomings, especially when compared to some of the earlier more 'grounded' films but for a generation of fans this (along with TSWLM) is where it all began and set a standard by which all other 007 films were judged.

I arguably doubt there has been a better shot or 'designed' Bond film since then (thank you Mr Adam) and the score achieves the impossible by lending a majesty to the outrageous nature of the climax. At a time when I firmly believed that good would always conquer evil, Bond showed me that one person could make a difference.

Over the course of 18 months my first few films in the cinema included Star Wars, Superman the Movie & Moonraker. I couldn't have asked for a better start and for that reason Roger Moore will always be my favourite Bond and MR one of the films that let me dream without burden.

Paul.

Terrific post; and wow; that is a hell of a first 3 movies...Donner's Superman is still my favourite superhero movie....

#41 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 06:38 PM

Moonraker has a very special place in my heart for a number of reasons.

In June of '79 I had just finished fifth grade at my new private school and that last day of class, my Dad picked me up. We went home and grabbed Mom and the three of us went to the airport to embark on my first trip to the UK. It was a three week trip to England, Scotland and Wales. I (at 11) was finally going to be on 007's turf. :tdown:

My very first visit to Piccadilly Circus was awesome and Moonraker posters were EVERYWHERE. The second day I asked my Dad if we could move there.

"What about all your friends?"

"They can come visit."

"What about school?"

"I'll go to Eton. Bond did for a little while."

Dad laughed about that exchange for three days. I think he told that story the rest of his days. Mom was a bit more clever. Through a friend of a friend, she had planned our trip and gotten us (unknown to me) a very SPECIAL day....At PINEWOOD.

A fine gent who was (at the time) on the board there named Derek Baker was THE man. On June 27th (the day of the premiere) he met us at the train station and took us in his Rolls Royce, apologising to me that it wasn't a Bentley, to Pinewood.

In the main building where the dining room is and where we had lunch, we had to side step cables, lights and crew who were setting up on something slated "ER&J". Think about that one kids. B)

We dined in the main room. After coffee for the adults and a coke for me, Derek slapped his palm on the table and said, "So Charlie, how about we go check out 007's pad?" He didn't have to ask twice. We started in the gardens and Mr. Baker was impressed by my knowledge of the fact that that we were in the locale of "SPECTRE island" and FRWL. He was also impressed that I carried myself as an adult "more than most adults". Mind you, mentally, I was FREAKING THE HELL OUT! This was SOOOOO COOL!

We passed the outdoor tank which was also being set up and lit with rain makers, lights and in the tank were three different scale models of oil platforms. The mysterious "ER&J" crew were at work.

We rounded a corner and then there it was. The original 007 stage looming in front of us. "Drax Industries" emblems and logos were everywhere. We entered the stage.

Some sort of set was in the early stages of being constructed, but realising we were in what had been the belly of the Liparus had me awestruck more than I already was.

After that we ran across a few large props outside. I have pics. Little did we know what they actually were. One was clearly a gondola with what looked like a small striped tent under it. The other looked like a big cable car carrier. What was this all about? Hmmmm.

BTW - There ARE pictures of all of this. Dad was more of a shutter bug than Athena and herself and Zencat have seen the evidence of which I speak. They will be scanned and added to this.

The day concluded with coffee and brandy at the bar where we did have a great encounter. The late, great James Mason dressed as an RN Admiral. We were all introduced and then he apologised as he had to "get back to this "thing" " down the hall. Again, the "ER&J" crew was preparing to shoot.

With final pics taken out in front, we returned to London and most importantly Leicester Square. The event was going on.

I wrote, later to have Mom type up properly, a two page letter of thanks to Derek for all he afforded us. To his dying day, he had it framed complete with a pic of the four of us on his office wall amongst his many accolades.

Sorry to have rambled on, but thirty years ago this month, was a lifetime experience for a young chap. My only problem in reflecting and looking through the pics is that I'm reminded how much I miss my Mom and Dad and what they did for me on that trip.

Pics and Moonraker memories to follow.

No....

REALLY!

#42 Navy007Fan

Navy007Fan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 12:28 AM

Moonraker was the first Bond film I saw in the theater (I was 12 at the time). The whole space thing got me hooked. The best part, they got the space shuttle launched two years before NASA!!!

#43 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 02:38 AM

And Part II...

Posted Image
Outer space now belongs to 007 (Part II)

#44 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 03:02 AM

Bryce, that might be the single coolest thing I could imagine happening to a kid. B)

#45 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 03:07 AM

I saw Moonraker for the first time on VHS.

Seeing something like this as a child is magical. It’s everything an adventure loving youngster would want, but done in that unflappable Moore Bond style. One can be harsh on the film as an adult, but that would be denying what the film is. It’s campy and it knows it.

It still holds up remarkably well, being the benchmark of Bond escapist entertainment.

#46 Craig Arthur

Craig Arthur

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 61 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 04:48 AM

My 30th anniversary Moonraker celebrations won’t be until December, 2009. As used to be the case with all Bond movies, there was a five month wait until their summer/Christmas release in New Zealand. It was always an interminable wait. And for me, Moonraker was my most anticipated movie of all time.

TSWLM was the first Bond movie I saw in the theatre, in December 1977. I was age 9 and became immediately hooked on Bond. Everybody else was raving about Star Wars but it did not have the same impact on me that TSWLM had. As soon as I emerged from the cinema, I declared that I wanted to see the next Bond movie. And so my two year wait for Moonraker began.

Back then there were no VCRs and Bond movies were never shown on TV in New Zealand. But I became fanatical about Bond and spies in general. So I eagerly devoured any information I could find on the making of the new Bond movie and kept a scrapbook of newspaper and magazine clippings. In the meantime, I managed to see two more Bond movies on the big-screen. Thunderball and Goldfinger.

One wintry Friday morning in May 1979, I was having breakfast and getting ready for school when my parents showed me the cinema page in the newspaper. Thunderball was screening for two days, as would be You Only Live Twice and Diamonds Are Forever during the following week. I could not go to YOLT or DAF because they were only on school nights, but they would take me to see Thunderball. So that cold, wet Friday evening I got to see Thunderball. I loved it, just I had loved TSWLM a year and a half earlier.

Later in the year I got to see Goldfinger on the big screen too. I don’t know how I talked my parents into taking me and my sister to it, but somehow they agreed to take me, one Sunday night in September, even though there were no children’s tickets (everybody had to pay the adult price as it was not a session time for kids). Goldfinger was in a double-feature with Breakheart Pass – god knows why – and Goldfinger was second on the bill. So we had to sit through Breakheart Pass first. To a child of 11, it seemed a very bizarre cinema-going experience. I was used to matinees, not Sunday night double-features of the type Tarantino would immortalise in Grindhouse, where the theatre lobby was full of cigarette smoke. Goldfinger was everything I had hoped for and more. To make the experience even better, as we emerged from the theatre and headed down the stairs, a massive poster for Moonraker was visible inside the entrance. For me seeing that poster was like the Sistine Chapel. Bond in the Heavens with Drax casting him and Lois Chiles out of Paradise with an accusing finger and Jaws looming overhead in Zero G. I had just seen Goldfinger and now Moonraker seemed so close; just two and a half more months to wait.

Moonraker was the first Bond film I had followed the production and overseas release of (as would become the custom for me, to this day. TSWLM, I simply saw on its initial release and loved and the earlier movies I saw on re-release. But Moonraker, I had read about in depth – probably too much – and so I knew the movie inside out before I saw it. Though thankfully I did not know about the pre-credit sequence, and was blown away by it. The movie did not disappoint and contrary to things I would later read and hear about, it did not seem out of step with the other three Bond movies I had seen. In fact I think those four Bond movies fit together nicely. Goldfinger, Thunderball, TSWLM and Moonraker show-case Bond at its big-budget best. All have great spectacle, great characters, locations, Ken Adam production design and scores. I am glad those are the four I saw first, even if it did give me an inflated sense of Bond production values – DAF, Live And Let Die, and TMWTGG could only seem disappointing by comparison.

I absolutely loved Moonraker on its initial release. I only went to see it twice (because I saw as basically the limit for seeing a movie back them) but I really enjoyed it both times. Even though going to see it twice meant sitting through the same terrible state-sponsored documentary on New Zealand butter twice, there were two very great Moonraker adverts – one for Seiko watches before the movie and one for a razor at half time. (Oh, how I coveted a Seiko watch, though I had no use for a razor of course!)

I was a hardcore Moonraker fan. I had a Moonraker T shirt that I insisted on wearing as much as I could even though it exposed my neck to third degree sunburn that will probably lead to melanoma in later life. When I was not wearing it, I was wearing a yellow and white T Shirt onto which I had sewn a homemade emblem of the Drax Corporation. Every day, I imagined myself in the movie.

By my early teenage years I had seen every Bond movie on the big screen several times. (I am very lucky I became a Bond fan when I did. I got to see them all on the big screen, not just once, but multiple times.) But around that time I began reading books such as John Brosnan’s James Bond in the Cinema that described Moonraker as the worst Bond movie. Also, I became friends with a family who hated Moonraker. And so I allowed myself to be brain-washed into thinking that Moonraker was bad. I just accepted this as scientific fact: (even though in early 1983 I saw a Sunday night double feature of Moonraker and For Your Eyes Only again on the big screen and loved both movies equally). The mature Bond fan is expected to rate the so-called more realistic Bond films over the so-called more fantastic, slapstick ones and so throughout my teens I sought a more realistic Bond. At that stage, I much preferred the John Glen Bond movies to the 1970s versions. Spectacle was out.

But in adulthood, I have reappraised this view. For nearly ten years I hardly ever saw Moonraker. A big factor was my parents refused to buy a VCR for many years and so most of the occasions when I watched Bond movies was with those friends I mentioned, at their home – where Moonraker was “banned”. When I did see Moonraker again it would be a terrible dubbed copy as you still could not buy VHS takes of Bond movies and the more spectacular Bond movies suffered more in such a context whereas the earlier, less fantastic Bond movie fared better. But one day in the mid nineties I watched the first half of Moonraker on video and liked it, after watching Chitty Chitty Bang Bang on TV and really enjoying it.

About this time MGM finally made the Bond movies available to buy on VHS. I bought all the early Connery Bond movies, OHMSS, TSWLM, FYEO, and – on a whim – Moonraker. Suddenly I had a half-decent copy. It was still not exactly my favourite Bond movie, but I liked it. Around that same time – 1996 – Ken Adam’s brother (who lives in Wellington, New Zealand, and is a patron of the arts) put together an exhibition in Wellington of his brother’s work as a production designer. What struck me, when I went along to the exhibition, was how much influence Ken Adam had on the Bond movies. (It was his idea to go to Egypt for TSWLM for instance). I realised that seeing the early Bond movies on video had distorted my impression of the Bond movies and that no matter how fond I was of the Timothy Dalton Bond movies, Goldeneye, or even the last three Roger Moore Bond movies, the production values had slipped dramatically. Moonraker was the last truly epic Bond movie and it went up another notch in my estimation.

The eventual release of the Bond movies on DVD underlined this for me, seeing all the Ken Adam-designed Bond movies in all their widescreen glory. As a result I have enormous admiration for Moonraker. In hindsight, I have never not enjoyed watching Moonraker; I was just brain-washed into not liking it. Yes, the slapstick humour detracts from the movie but the other elements are so well executed one can overlook the silliness much easier than one can overlook the mishandling of Roger Moore’s escape from the gorilla suit in Octopussy or the cardboard-like production design in during Peter Lamont’s tenure as production designer.

Moonraker represents the end of a Bondian era in terms of production values – Ken Adam and John Barry were at their peak. But also it represents the end of the Bond films that embraced modernity. Much has been written about Moonraker being a Star Wars clone. Yes, Cubby Broccoli’s decision to make Moonraker when he did was to cash in on the success of Star Wars but Star Wars was a science fantasy movie that embraced the past – mythological and biblical themes of good and evil – not the future, whereas the Bond movies were about modernity. They showed us technological advancement and our anxieties about the future. This is why I much preferred TSWLM to Star Wars and became a Bond fanatic not a Luke Skywalker fan. In architecture and other areas of our culture, the modernist era came to an end not long after Moonraker. To extent, George Lucas’s influence on the Bond films was that in the 1980s the John Glen Bond movies would embrace old style Indiana Jones type adventure instead of the future. But when I watch Moonraker now, or for that matter Star Trek or Kubrick’s 2001, it represents an era in my childhood when we all believed in the future. This is why I still find it a terrific viewing experience, 30 years on.

#47 manfromjapan

manfromjapan

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 428 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 08:48 AM

I concur!! I have had a similar relationship with the film since first seeing it in childhood. It's an under-rated (but definitely flawed) entry and has terrific entertainment value.

Edited by manfromjapan, 30 June 2009 - 08:49 AM.

#48 dchantry

dchantry

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:11 AM

I don't know whether it's because I was 12 and saw Moonraker on the big screen as a part of a school trip whilst on Holiday in Cornwall, but I have a real soft spot for it (and the Roger Moore period)
As a Bond film I've always felt that it's weak and far fetched even by Bond standards, but as a total film experience, I think it's probably one of the most enjoyable films, with great action and settings around the globe and of course above. It looked total quality and you can see every penny spent up on the screen.
It's always the one Bond film that when asked which one they would like to see again at the Cinema, I choose.
Latest blockbusters like Transformers and even Quantum of Solace to a certain extent cannot touch this as a total cinema experience.
That may be down to the experience felt when first watched, or later viewings at the Odeon Birmingham on its own or part of a double bill in the days when we had full stalls and circle access, or it may be that at 12, I was the ideal age to watch it in its full splendor.
One things certain, it really started a 30 year love affair with the Bond Cannon and everything 007.

#49 David_M

David_M

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 01:19 PM

Wow, Bryce. Just think who you might have run into had you popped over to the "ER&J" set with Mr Mason! I don't remember him having any scenes without "Rufus", though I may be forgetting something.

Actually, that in itself is an eye-opener for me, as I thought "Moonraker" was filmed first.

#50 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 02:30 PM

My very first visit to Piccadilly Circus was awesome and Moonraker posters were EVERYWHERE. The second day I asked my Dad if we could move there.

"They can come visit."

"What about school?"

Dad laughed about that exchange for three days. I think he told that story the rest of his days.

That's fantastic and it's the kind of argument I had as a child, if only in my own mind (we only children tend to live in our own mind). I think it's wonderful that you actually had a conversation like this. Best post I've read here in my five-plus years at this forum.

It's also pleasing to read so many positive memories of Moonraker. Perhaps it's just childhood nostalgia--it is Summer, after all and that brings it out in me--but that doesn't change the fact that Moonraker always was and will be, fun escapist fare, as the best Bond films always are. I savor the darker 007 when I read Fleming.

#51 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 02:56 PM

I saw Moonraker on the big screen in 1979 but I don't remember that much about it, except that I loved it and thought the space shuttles looked cool (they wouldn't be launched for another 2 years). I was vaguely aware of the Bond character at the time but this was the first Bond movie I had ever watched.

The local village would fit out the Town Hall as a cinema once a month for a program called "Movie-Go-Round" in which a local entrepreneur would travel from town to town with whatever recent movie was big at that time.

My froends and I would make a point of going to the screenings and perhaps the biggest impact on me was that when 1981s For Your Eyes Only came around I lamented it's back to basics approach. Of course I now love For Your Eyes Only and find the end of Moonraker a little too campy for me.

#52 Licence_007

Licence_007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 04:40 PM

The memory that sticks out most for me has to be my first time watching Moonraker. It wasn't long after I first saw Star Wars for the first time after they were rereleased at the cinema and I was still quite young. Star Wars had turned me into a bit of a sci-fi fan so when I noticed this Bond film, combining two of my favourite things at the time, I had to see it. I was hooked watching it and was also in awe at the size of Jaws(I'd yet to see The Spy Who Loved Me). The laser battle was one of the most entertaining things I'd seen but I always remember feeling a bit disappointed at the way Hugo died.

My parents had seen the film plenty of times before and were pretty much sick of it, so by the time the ending was close they decided it was time to go to bed and I sat pleading with them for about 10 minutes to let me just see what happened.

Edited by Licence_007, 30 June 2009 - 04:43 PM.

#53 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 06:09 PM

Wow, Bryce. Just think who you might have run into had you popped over to the "ER&J" set with Mr Mason! I don't remember him having any scenes without "Rufus", though I may be forgetting something.

The scenes in the PM's office were being filmed. Roger had apparently been at Pinewood the day BEFORE we were doing some ADR ("looping") for the video that is shown to the PM of Ffolkes' team doing their practice assault.

Mason was soft spoken and very elegant. I have a whole other story about what happened when my parents and I saw the film back in the states. When those scenes turned up and the shots of the rigs, we KNEW we had been there and were thrilled.

Now, back to Moonraker, but I have a few other bits of real life to attend to before I start scanning the pics and really address my experience. Hopefully by this evening.

Finishing up some footage transfers now and then I'm taking the lovely Miss Lava Sterling out for her promised birthday lunch. Yes, it's a rough life I lead, but I'll get through it.

All in the life of a spy.

#54 baerrtt

baerrtt

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 467 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 07:00 PM

For me it was the ITV premiere at Christmas in '82. Part of an era when families sat down to watch tv together and a film premiere was probably the biggest aspect of that.

MOONRAKER like every other Bond film I saw on tv in the early 80s just sucked me into this imaginative, sexy, childishly funny and exciting world. I long for those days before I'd even heard of fandom, those days before apparently the film I and I'm sure million other viewers watching either for the first time since it's cinema release or, in my case, for the first time period loved was considered artistically bankrupt and a low note in the series.

Memorable days indeed.

#55 laseredbydiana

laseredbydiana

Recruit

• Crew
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 07:39 PM

Moonraker gave me my first crush, I dont think that I ever recovered from seeing Lois Chiles in an all in one space suit even if it was yellow!

I loved the film, loved the laser battle.

In particular, there is a part in the film just before the american space shuttle docks where an american is lasered in the chest in slow motion whilst docking - i dont know why but it really turned me on and for years I have dreamt of various people lasering me in a similar situation - Diana from V always featured very highly!

It will come as no surprise to read that I was an adolescent at the time and seeing women in shiny space suits is still the most memorable thing for me - It shaped my thoughts from then on unfortunately, now its got to be shiny females for me!

For this reason alone, it will always be my favourite bond film embarrassing as this may be to admit on a forum.

#56 Fiona Volpe lover

Fiona Volpe lover

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 347 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 11:28 AM

Moonraker was the third Bond film I saw,after The Man With The Golden Gun,You Only Live Twice and Diamonds Are Forever,I was 13 or 14. Like the others I saw it on TV. I must say I don't remember a great deal,except that my mum and stepdad kept slagging it off saying how stupid it was. Needless to say,all I could say was "no it's not,it's great". I actually wished I had seen it upstairs on my own on my black and white TV. At least I could have enjoyed the film in peace.

Anyway,the film cemented my fascination with Bond and as I liked Star Wars too I thought the space bits made it extra cool. Unlike You Only Live Twice,here Bond actually went INTO space,though even at the time I think I thought You Only Live Twice,though maybe not the other two I'd seen,was better. Nevetheless, It remains my favourite Roger Moore Bond adventure and I will always defend most aspects of it [excecpt that cable car fight,which is rubbish]. It doesn't try to be like Ian Fleming,it just tries to be a glorious,lavish exercise in pure escapism,and for me it always succeeds.

#57 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 02:53 AM

I still can't get over how great the blu ray of Moonraker looks!! Wow.

I suppose it's as close as i will ever get to a theatrical showing of it.

It's a true shame that MGM doesn't reissue the Bond films in theaters. I am very envious of the UK who has had the 1 day digital showings.

#58 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 03:23 AM

I still can't get over how great the blu ray of Moonraker looks!! Wow.

I suppose it's as close as i will ever get to a theatrical showing of it.

Yes, it looks absolutely stunning. Very much like seeing it for the first time. I daresay the Blu-ray is better than a theatrical experience. It's that good.

#59 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 05:45 PM

Moonraker has a very special place in my heart for a number of reasons.

In June of '79 I had just finished fifth grade at my new private school and that last day of class, my Dad picked me up. We went home and grabbed Mom and the three of us went to the airport to embark on my first trip to the UK. It was a three week trip to England, Scotland and Wales. I (at 11) was finally going to be on 007's turf. :tdown:

"They can come visit."

"What about school?"

Dad laughed about that exchange for three days. I think he told that story the rest of his days. Mom was a bit more clever. Through a friend of a friend, she had planned our trip and gotten us (unknown to me) a very SPECIAL day....At PINEWOOD.

A fine gent who was (at the time) on the board there named Derek Baker was THE man. On June 27th (the day of the premiere) he met us at the train station and took us in his Rolls Royce, apologising to me that it wasn't a Bentley, to Pinewood.

In the main building where the dining room is and where we had lunch, we had to side step cables, lights and crew who were setting up on something slated "ER&J". Think about that one kids. :tdown:

We dined in the main room. After coffee for the adults and a coke for me, Derek slapped his palm on the table and said, "So Charlie, how about we go check out 007's pad?" He didn't have to ask twice. We started in the gardens and Mr. Baker was impressed by my knowledge of the fact that that we were in the locale of "SPECTRE island" and FRWL. He was also impressed that I carried myself as an adult "more than most adults". Mind you, mentally, I was FREAKING THE HELL OUT! This was SOOOOO COOL!

We passed the outdoor tank which was also being set up and lit with rain makers, lights and in the tank were three different scale models of oil platforms. The mysterious "ER&J" crew were at work.

We rounded a corner and then there it was. The original 007 stage looming in front of us. "Drax Industries" emblems and logos were everywhere. We entered the stage.

Some sort of set was in the early stages of being constructed, but realising we were in what had been the belly of the Liparus had me awestruck more than I already was.

After that we ran across a few large props outside. I have pics. Little did we know what they actually were. One was clearly a gondola with what looked like a small striped tent under it. The other looked like a big cable car carrier. What was this all about? Hmmmm.

BTW - There ARE pictures of all of this. Dad was more of a shutter bug than Athena and herself and Zencat have seen the evidence of which I speak. They will be scanned and added to this.

The day concluded with coffee and brandy at the bar where we did have a great encounter. The late, great James Mason dressed as an RN Admiral. We were all introduced and then he apologised as he had to "get back to this "thing" " down the hall. Again, the "ER&J" crew was preparing to shoot.

With final pics taken out in front, we returned to London and most importantly Leicester Square. The event was going on.

I wrote, later to have Mom type up properly, a two page letter of thanks to Derek for all he afforded us. To his dying day, he had it framed complete with a pic of the four of us on his office wall amongst his many accolades.

Sorry to have rambled on, but thirty years ago this month, was a lifetime experience for a young chap. My only problem in reflecting and looking through the pics is that I'm reminded how much I miss my Mom and Dad and what they did for me on that trip.

Pics and Moonraker memories to follow.

No....

REALLY!

Brilliant story Bryce, Love the photos. Ok, you didnt post any. But, joking aside great tale. So good in fact, if I had an office I would put your photo in it. B)

#60 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 05:12 AM

Speaking of Moonraker memories, this last weekend myself along with Zencat, Athena, the Quartermaster and TheSaint all had dinner and some chat with Richard Kiel. The tales he had to tell and behind the scenes stuff were entertaining and hysterical on both MR and TSWLM.

Always the gentleman.

I'll get these promised pics up soon.