This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Has anyone read Ian Fleming's 'The Hildebrandt Rarity'?

39 replies to this topic

#1 Gustav Graves

Gustav Graves

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 356 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 11:35 PM

I think it's a particularly interesting and exciting subject to use for Bond 23. We all know the name Milton Krest and his yaught 'The Wavekrest' were used in Licence To Kill, but for me the story from the novel wasn't translated that good in 'Licence To Kill'. So how would I do it?

Turn Milton Krest in one of the leading figures from the QUANTUM syndicate who has got a double agenda: Finding a rare sea animal for himself, the Hildebrandt Rarity, that he can seel on the black market in and around countries like the United Araba Emirates. Secondly, he is financially supporting modern pirates that nowadays hijack many ships in international waters.

Secondly, it is time to have some torture scenes with females again in a Bond film. We all know how Mrs Elizabeth Krest was tortured like hell in the novel. Milton used stingray tails on Elizabeth's Krest. Furthermore, he engaged in SM-like sex, by using wips on Mrs Krest.

It would be good to have that entire scene from the novel back on the film, in which there are only four people on the ship: Milton Krest, Elizabeth Krest, Fidele Barbey (from the Seychelles) and James Bond.

Also, Bond 23 will introduce us with Miss 'Every Penny Of It'. The new Moneypenny bears a little grudge on Bond, because she was a friend of Starwberry Fields. But during the end of the film, Bond can have little jokes and other nice innuendo's with Moneypenny. Q? He will return in Bond 24.

The countries that Bond will visit: The Seychelles, Somalia, Israël and the United Arab Emirates. As opening sequence we can think of a a Grand Prix race which is set in Dubai or Qatar, attended by both Milton Krest and Mr White.

What do you think of these rough plot outlines?? Please have your comments. I am seriously thinking of transferring them to EON.

#2 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 12:52 AM

I think it's a particularly interesting and exciting subject to use for Bond 23. We all know the name Milton Krest and his yaught 'The Wavekrest' were used in Licence To Kill, but for me the story from the novel wasn't translated that good in 'Licence To Kill'. So how would I do it?

Turn Milton Krest in one of the leading figures from the QUANTUM syndicate who has got a double agenda: Finding a rare sea animal for himself, the Hildebrandt Rarity, that he can seel on the black market in and around countries like the United Araba Emirates. Secondly, he is financially supporting modern pirates that nowadays hijack many ships in international waters.

Secondly, it is time to have some torture scenes with females again in a Bond film. We all know how Mrs Elizabeth Krest was tortured like hell in the novel. Milton used stingray tails on Elizabeth's Krest. Furthermore, he engaged in SM-like sex, by using wips on Mrs Krest.

It would be good to have that entire scene from the novel back on the film, in which there are only four people on the ship: Milton Krest, Elizabeth Krest, Fidele Barbey (from the Seychelles) and James Bond.

Also, Bond 23 will introduce us with Miss 'Every Penny Of It'. The new Moneypenny bears a little grudge on Bond, because she was a friend of Starwberry Fields. But during the end of the film, Bond can have little jokes and other nice innuendo's with Moneypenny. Q? He will return in Bond 24.

The countries that Bond will visit: The Seychelles, Somalia, Israël and the United Arab Emirates. As opening sequence we can think of a a Grand Prix race which is set in Dubai or Qatar, attended by both Milton Krest and Mr White.

What do you think of these rough plot outlines?? Please have your comments. I am seriously thinking of transferring them to EON.

in all honesty you should.

The Hildebrand Rarity is by in larged untapped and could easily be worked into bond 23.

fleming give the reason for bond's arival at seychelles to see if a British military base can be built ther and how secure the island is. Perhaps this too can be worked into the film some how.

and of course honestly The Hildebrand Rarity is my favourite of the unused short story titles B)

#3 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 02:07 AM

Yeah, there's lots there to base a movie upon. Though I prefer it as a small story about Bond and Milton and how their relationship develops. It's very telling about the type of person Bond is, if played by DC I don't see him hanging out on deck and not interfering with Milton's thing.

Yes, I tired to write around spoilers for the ones who have yet to read it. B)

#4 danielcraigisjamesbond007

danielcraigisjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2002 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 02:11 AM

Yeah. I read the short story.
I hated the way that the story ended (to avoid spoilers), but it's an interesting concept, personally. Perhaps the writers can write that short story into a future movie...:tdown: :tdown:

I think it's and of course honestly The Hildebrand Rarity is my favourite of the unused short story titles :)

I like the title (don't love it), but one catch:
The producers got away with "Quantum of Solace." People didn't know what it meant. If they decided to go with "The Hildebrand Rarity," can you imagine the frenzy that reporters would create?
"What does it mean???"

It'll be 2008 all over again. B)

#5 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 03:42 AM

Yeah. I read the short story.
I hated the way that the story ended (to avoid spoilers), but it's an interesting concept, personally. Perhaps the writers can write that short story into a future movie...:tdown: :tdown:

I think it's and of course honestly The Hildebrand Rarity is my favourite of the unused short story titles :)

I like the title (don't love it), but one catch:
The producers got away with "Quantum of Solace." People didn't know what it meant. If they decided to go with "The Hildebrand Rarity," can you imagine the frenzy that reporters would create?
"What does it mean???"

It'll be 2008 all over again. B)

which is where i came up with my idea of make the title esential to the film and the promotion by asking "what is the hildebrand rarity" I say the title is mysterious build a mystery around it people will be so interested in seeing what it is the title will become more popular.

#6 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 05:52 AM

It's a good story. It would make a good scene in a film if you changed Krests name.

Hildebrand be damned. I don't think any name would hurt Bond at the box office. Most people just ask for a ticket to see James Bond.

#7 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:38 AM

I hated the way that the story ended

Really? That surprises me. I think it's a brilliant ending to what is, possibly, my favourite Fleming short story.

#8 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:06 AM

Really? That surprises me. I think it's a brilliant ending to what is, possibly, my favourite Fleming short story.

Great ending.

The comic strip version of the story expanded it out so that the sea expedition was a cover for something or other - something about a submarine, I seem to recall. Fecund with possibility.

#9 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:11 AM

I remember fondly the days of youthful exuberance.

Do you not think that the producers are aware of every single comma in all the books?

And ALL submissions are transfered unread to their lawyers. On spec ideas are treated with the contempt they (largely) deserve, and are a minefield if used due to potential for litigation.

(And by contempt that is largely deserved, this can also be attributed to some scriptwriter contributions. "Pipe down 007." Oh dear.)

#10 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:13 AM

I really think this is brilliant. I really wouldn't mind a re-introduction of Milton Crest, either. Though, considering he was in Licence To Kill, the characters name will probably changed.

I love the title, also. The Hildebrand Rarity is my personally favorite Bond 23 title. It just sounds royal for some reason.

#11 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:18 AM

You took the words right from my jar of formaldehyde, dee-bee-five. The best Bond ending from the best Bond short story, IMO.

I remember fondly the days of youthful exuberance.

Do you not think that the producers are aware of every single comma in all the books?

And ALL submissions are transfered unread to their lawyers. On spec ideas are treated with the contempt they (largely) deserve, and are a minefield if used due to potential for litigation.

(And by contempt that is largely deserved, this can also be attributed to some scriptwriter contributions. "Pipe down 007." Oh dear.)

Listen to Simon, lads. That's exactly what will happen. Unsolicited material will be binned. If you are serious about getting ideas into Bond, make a career for yourself as a professional screenwriter, get an agent and then write something that catches the eye of Danjaq's development team and then may be, just may be, you might get to write something that you hash out with the producers for months beforehand. I doubt there has ever been a spec Bond script. But good luck anyways.

The Hildebrand Rarity - unused outline here...

#12 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:26 AM

So for all those above who have shown a passion for Fleming's short story - and I include myself -

WHO DUNNIT???

#13 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:28 AM

It were the bint.

#14 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:31 AM

It were the bint.

Nah, it were all of them. Murder on the Orient Wavekrest.

Or it was the world's most bizarre suicide.

#15 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:35 AM

It were the bint.

Oddly for Fleming, he never has the Kraut crew in the picture...

#16 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:36 AM

It were the bint.

LOL. Whoever it was, it was something, ahem, fishy!

[ducks as stones are thrown]

#17 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:47 AM

It were the bint.

Yeah, that is a bit odd. Given that he has Krest with a German background - The old Hun again. Always at your feet or at your throat.

Or having fish stuffed down theirs, I guess.

#18 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:52 AM

Here's my idea for The Hildebrand Rarity, if anyone's interested...

http://debrief.comma...p...c=48992&hl=

#19 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:54 AM

It were the bint.

Yeah, that is a bit odd. Given that he has Krest with a German background - The old Hun again. Always at your feet or at your throat.

If I'd been in his company, I'd have murdered the bastard for speaking like Humphrey Bogart.

#20 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 12:51 PM

So for all those above who have shown a passion for Fleming's short story - and I include myself -

WHO DUNNIT???

It's who you want it be... B)

It were the bint.

Quite. I suppose that instead of "The End", any film version could conclude with "Fin"...

It were the bint.

Yes, but is there a plot-hole waiting for someone to fillet? Or will the scales fall from our eyes...?

#21 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 12:53 PM

WHO DUNNIT???

It were the bint.

Quite. I suppose that instead of "The End", any film version could conclude with "Fin"...

It were the bint.

Yes, but is there a plot-hole waiting for someone to fillet? Or will the scales fall from our eyes...?

LOL.
Oy yoi yoi, you're on fire, dee-bee-five!

#22 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 12:54 PM

WHO DUNNIT???

It were the bint.

It were the bint.

Oh Cod.

#23 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 12:57 PM

WHO DUNNIT???

It were the bint.

It were the bint.

Oh Cod.

Is that the piece of Cod that passeth all understanding...?

(As you can see, I'm channelling the spirit of Talbot Rothwell)

#24 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 01:01 PM

WHO DUNNIT???

It were the bint.

It were the bint.

Oh Cod.

Is that the piece of Cod that passeth all understanding...?

(As you can see, I'm channelling the spirit of Talbot Rothwell)

Guess 007's working for M-Pi-Scix

#25 Gustav Graves

Gustav Graves

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 356 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 01:18 PM

Okay guys...nice to read that most people like to name the next Bond flick 'The Hildebrandt Rarity'. It's a lush, suave title if I may say so.

But what about the other plot ideas I have for my opening post? Can anyone give me some feedback on that? The idea of a Milton Krest using his money via QUANTUM to arm modern sea pirates close to Somalia.

And what about the locations: Grand Prix of Qatar, United Arab Emirates, Israel, Seychelles. And...has James Bond ever kitesurfed?

#26 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 01:21 PM

has James Bond ever kitesurfed?

He's Parasailed, alas. Does that count? B)

#27 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 01:25 PM

Okay guys...nice to read that most people like to name the next Bond flick 'The Hildebrandt Rarity'. It's a lush, suave title if I may say so.

Even with the extra t at the end.

But what about the other plot ideas I have for my opening post? Can anyone give me some feedback on that? The idea of a Milton Krest using his money via QUANTUM to arm modern sea pirates close to Somalia.

Why's he doing it, though? What's in it for him?

And what about the locations: Grand Prix of Qatar, United Arab Emirates, Israel, Seychelles. And...has James Bond ever kitesurfed?

Let the plot determine your locations, not the other way around. What is the story you want to tell? Is the kitesurfing necessary to what goes on or is it just something that might be cool to see?

#28 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 01:27 PM

Gustav Graves, the title is "THE HILDEBRAND RARITY"
Not "...brandt"

It is difficult to comment upon a set of vague ideas with no context or story.

#29 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 01:42 PM

I think the fish did it.

#30 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 01:45 PM

It is difficult to comment upon a set of vague ideas with no context or story.

Oh I dunno - you did a sterling job of reviewing Die Another Day.