82 replies to this topic

#31 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 04:00 AM

When I watched Die Another Day on Blu-Ray, the part where he para-surfs on the glacier tidal wave thingy looked a bit fake.

Do I detect a note of sarcasm?

#32 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 24 February 2009 - 04:40 AM

When I watched Die Another Day on Blu-Ray, the part where he para-surfs on the glacier tidal wave thingy looked a bit fake.

No, just a large serving of the obvious.

#33 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 06:18 AM

Only a note? :(

#34 eddychaput

eddychaput

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:12 PM

From what I gather, the upgrade to Blu-Ray made a significant difference in the video quality of the films. I'm excited to finally buy them, although I'm seriously considering waiting for the mega-super-007 special box with all 22 movies. I'm pretty sure I'd save a little bit of money buying them that way.

#35 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:50 PM

I think this deserves a thread of it's own, it has alot of potential.

Has anyone picked up on anything thing new, whilst watching the Blu Ray Bond movies.
For example, I noticed that Bond has a pattern on his blue dressing gown in Live and Let Die and I also picked up on how hairy Roger Moore's arms are. I've never really picked up on any of this, before Blu Ray.

Anyone got any other examples?

Well worth the investment.

As M. would say - "Is that all it does?"

Quite.

In fairness, I must point out that I saw From Russia With Love on Blu Ray last week and, in many ways, it was a wonderful experience. There are little details one simply hasn't noticed before: the locations look simply gorgeous, the cut/material of Bond's suit in Kerim's office is stunning and I was particularly impressed by the scenes with Bond and Kerim beneath the Russian embassy. Oh, and while we all know that DB was wearing a body stocking when Tatiana slips into Bond's bed in the hotel, it's far more revealing on Blu Ray! But there's a downside to all the extra detail and that comes with the make-up and the actors' skins. To my mind, Connery looks horrible in some scenes on the FRWL Blu Ray. There are moments on the YOLT DVD when his skin doesn't look too great, but that's the only time I've noticed it on DVD. And on occasions his make-up is so bad that he looks less like James Bond and more like Aunt Sally. But I guess that's something we have to live with if we embrace Blu Ray. For me, the jury's still out. But I understand why some people love it.

#36 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:58 PM

From what I gather, the upgrade to Blu-Ray made a significant difference in the video quality of the films. I'm excited to finally buy them, although I'm seriously considering waiting for the mega-super-007 special box with all 22 movies. I'm pretty sure I'd save a little bit of money buying them that way.

I am sure that a mega-super box would be cheaper overall but I have a lack of patience and don't want to wait to enjoy James Bond in high definition video and sound. I am picking up my 007 Blu-rays when they are released and the fact that MGM is only releasing a few at a time lessens the feeling of financial impact.

#37 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:45 PM

I am sure that a mega-super box would be cheaper overall but I have a lack of patience and don't want to wait to enjoy James Bond in high definition video and sound. I am picking up my 007 Blu-rays when they are released and the fact that MGM is only releasing a few at a time lessens the feeling of financial impact.

ditto

I got the first wave on special with added coupon from Circuit City for $16.99 each. I hope to find a similar deal somewhere next month.

#38 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:24 PM

The underwater scenes on For Your Eyes Only are bloody fantastic! :(

#39 Daddy Bond

Daddy Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:37 PM

You folks are spoiling my enjoyment of my UE's as I watch them on my CRT television.

:(

#40 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 01:15 AM

The underwater scenes on For Your Eyes Only are bloody fantastic! :(

Absolutely agree. Overall, the For Your Eyes Only Blu-ray is the least impressive of the first wave of 007 Blu-ray releases. But even as the lesser of the set it far surpasses the inferior UE DVDs.

I am salivating at what new details we will discover on the Blu-rays of Goldfinger, Moonraker, The World is not Enough and Never Say Never Again. It really is like watching these movies for the first time, all over again.

#41 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 01:45 AM

During the climax of the Embassy storm of CR, when Craig spins around holding Mollaka, you can see they have added a tiny CG plane into the sky behind them. A great little detail to make you second guess that horribly unconvincing stage-bound "exterior" set.

I never noticed that before nice find.

#42 Shaun Forever

Shaun Forever

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1067 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 03:12 PM

On DVD
Posted Image

On BLu Ray

Posted Image

That has to go in your signature, it's superb :(

#43 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:50 PM

That has to go in your signature, it's superb :(

Thanks, Finally someone else who realized it was only a joke.

#44 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:39 PM

Right, watched all of Dr No now. I never noticed before but after bond punches the driver who later kills himself with a cyanide cigarette, you can see the cuts/bruise on Bonds hand.

Also when Bond is escaping down the tunnel one shot is clearly a stuntman who actually knocks the camera when he falls. Now I never noticed that on UE DVD. So is Blu-Ray worth it? Yes, big time! Its like watching a new film.

Edited by DAN LIGHTER, 04 March 2009 - 09:39 PM.

#45 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 07:41 PM

The underwater scenes on For Your Eyes Only are bloody fantastic! B)

Absolutely agree. Overall, the For Your Eyes Only Blu-ray is the least impressive of the first wave of 007 Blu-ray releases. But even as the lesser of the set it far surpasses the inferior UE DVDs.

I am salivating at what new details we will discover on the Blu-rays of Goldfinger, Moonraker, The World is not Enough and Never Say Never Again. It really is like watching these movies for the first time, all over again.

Right, okay, it's time to hold up my hands and admit defeat. I've embraced Blu Ray - and it's all your fault... :tdown:

It's no secret I had problems with Blu Ray initially. Couldn't get the discs to play and I wasn't going to carry on. But you kept chipping away at me - both in public and in private - and I'm glad you did. I took a gamble and bought another Blu Ray player. I watched Dr.No, FRWL, TB and CR at the weekend and... all I can say is wow! It really is like seeing the movies for the first time. I'm still not sure I really need to see Sean Connery's lipstick in FRWL (see my post above), but that's beside the point. The upgrade in these films is just mind-blowing.

It's the little things you notice. The beads of sea water on Honey's body when she comes out of the sea. The incredible detail of M's office in Dr.No. The fact you can read what's written on the paper pinned to the wall behind Moneypenny's desk. Furthermore, just look at those location shots of Jamaica, Istanbul and the Bahamas. It really does feel like you could step into the screen; it's possibly the closest we can yet get to a time machine. What I also wasn't prepared for was the way my machine upscaled my existing DVDs.

Blu Ray can't improve a script. I thought Thunderball dreary before I saw it on Blu Ray and it remains dreary to me after it. The difference is that it's now an extremely good-looking dreary film on Blu Ray... :tdown:

#46 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:47 PM

Right, okay, it's time to hold up my hands and admit defeat. I've embraced Blu Ray - and it's all your fault... :tdown:

It's no secret I had problems with Blu Ray initially. Couldn't get the discs to play and I wasn't going to carry on. But you kept chipping away at me - both in public and in private - and I'm glad you did. I took a gamble and bought another Blu Ray player. I watched Dr.No, FRWL, TB and CR at the weekend and... all I can say is wow! It really is like seeing the movies for the first time. I'm still not sure I really need to see Sean Connery's lipstick in FRWL (see my post above), but that's beside the point. The upgrade in these films is just mind-blowing.

It's the little things you notice. The beads of sea water on Honey's body when she comes out of the sea. The incredible detail of M's office in Dr.No. The fact you can read what's written on the paper pinned to the wall behind Moneypenny's desk. Furthermore, just look at those location shots of Jamaica, Istanbul and the Bahamas. It really does feel like you could step into the screen; it's possibly the closest we can yet get to a time machine. What I also wasn't prepared for was the way my machine upscaled my existing DVDs.

Blu Ray can't improve a script. I thought Thunderball dreary before I saw it on Blu Ray and it remains dreary to me after it. The difference is that it's now an extremely good-looking dreary film on Blu Ray... :tdown:

I'm glad you are having such a great experience with Blu-ray. You are right when you say that watching the Bond movies on Blu-ray is like seeing them for the first time.
A female friend of mine broke down and purchased a Blu-ray player this past weekend and she too now cannot get enough of the Blu-ray format.

#47 Marcato

Marcato

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 233 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:16 PM

i want to be one of you - you are so lucky that you can see those film in HD - i have no chance to see them yet

wish i was that lucky as you are

#48 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:17 PM

i want to be one of you - you are so lucky that you can see those film in HD - i have no chance to see them yet

wish i was that lucky as you are

Hang on? I thought you said some Bond Blu-Ray releases were released tomorrow, where you are?

#49 Marcato

Marcato

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 233 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:24 PM

yes - and i can buy them if i want but i don't have a blue-ray player - that is the problem - i have 7 bond film in blu-ray that i have yet to see - so that is why i wish i was as lucky as you

#50 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:26 PM

But you said that you bought From Russia With Love, Thunderball and For Your Eyes Only? B)

Why buy them, if you don't have a BD player?

#51 Marcato

Marcato

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 233 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:29 PM

i have this issue with me - when there is something i want - i go bye it - even before i have the equipment to see it - i come in a youth house - at some time in the next month they will bye a PS3 and a HD tv - so there i can see my blue-ray film - so in the mean time i am just buying in the films - B)

#52 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:34 PM

Right, okay, it's time to hold up my hands and admit defeat. I've embraced Blu Ray - and it's all your fault... :)

I'm glad you are having such a great experience with Blu-ray. You are right when you say that watching the Bond movies on Blu-ray is like seeing them for the first time.

Clearly one doesn't need to be able to see the small details that Blu Ray brings. One's enjoyment of FRWL, say, isn't impaired by not being able to read the note pinned up behind Moneypenny's desk. But being able to read it on Blu Ray does add something to the scene; it's a little anchor of realism.

Someone - it may have been you - pointed out the dust on the back of the Aston Martin in Thunderball. I've never noticed it before, to be honest, but it really stands out on Blu Ray. And it adds another note of realism; Bond has just landed in his jet pack and blown up a load of dust. Seeing it properly on the car makes the scene work better somehow (anyone reading this who hasn't seen TB on Blu Ray may think this is a tad over the top, but those who have will know what I mean). Another scene in TB that struck me was where Bond arrives for lunch at Palmyra. Until now, the focus of that scene for me has always been Domino swimming in the pool until Connery gets to his position. But on Blu Ray, my eyes was drawn to how Connery stalks round that pool like a panther, his eyes on Domino. I'd never noticed how well he does that - effectively in the back of the shot for the most part - until now.

You've got me hooked, damn you... :tdown:, and can't wait for the rest of the series to come out. I'll be devouring FYEO, LALD and even poor old maligned DAD at the weekend...

#53 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:40 PM

I cant wait to see the rest now. The little things make all the difference.

#54 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 02:37 AM

Someone - it may have been you - pointed out the dust on the back of the Aston Martin in Thunderball. I've never noticed it before, to be honest, but it really stands out on Blu Ray. And it adds another note of realism; Bond has just landed in his jet pack and blown up a load of dust. Seeing it properly on the car makes the scene work better somehow (anyone reading this who hasn't seen TB on Blu Ray may think this is a tad over the top, but those who have will know what I mean). Another scene in TB that struck me was where Bond arrives for lunch at Palmyra. Until now, the focus of that scene for me has always been Domino swimming in the pool until Connery gets to his position. But on Blu Ray, my eyes was drawn to how Connery stalks round that pool like a panther, his eyes on Domino. I'd never noticed how well he does that - effectively in the back of the shot for the most part - until now.

That was actually me who mentioned the dust on the Aston Martin. I'm bringing it up because that's an example of another way the Blu-rays have helped me not just enjoy the films in a new way, but give me a better appreciation for what a film crew goes through to make a good film.

We can complain about the obvious continuity slips with the black mask and blue mask switching around later in the underwater scenes, but when you notice the other little things like that Aston Martin dust or details it somewhat makes up for that. You can find yourself looking for other things, and occasionally find new bloopers.

#55 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 08:38 PM

I watched Dr No and Thunderball recently on B-R and the outdoor scenes are simply delicious. Not sure I need or want to see Connery's lipstick (surely it didn't look like this in the cinema in 1962?). But sometimes these films really feel like you're watching a new movie set in the 60s - seriously.

And with regard to the details (the faint stripes never before noticed on the minister's shirt in the Thunderball briefing) - these things have got to be seen to be understood.

#56 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 04:24 PM

Having now watched Die Another Day, Live and Let Die and For Your Eyes Only, so many little things stood out that, again, it was like watching them for the first time. As for the films themselves...

Whatever one thinks of DAD - and I don't think it's half as bad as some would have us believe - there's no doubt that it's simply gorgeous looking. However, the painted backdrop of Iceland in Graves' apartment at the Ice Palace is painfully obvious on Blu Ray and looks dreadfully shabby in such a big budget movie. And there's no doubt that the infamous ice wave looks even more ghastly in High Definition.

While Live And Let Die is, perhaps, the most underwhelming Blu Ray Bond to date for me in terms of upscale, even here some scenes stand out - particularly Bond and Rosie's arrival on San Monique. The sequence where Bond and Solitaire encounter Baraon Samedi in the graveyard also looks terrific. What is most interesting about LALD for me is that I've always thought Roger Moore was a particularly young-looking 45 year old in the movie. Not any more...

For Your Eyes Only just looks fabulous on Blu Ray and is the pick of these three for me. The locations just look amazing because the clarity has to be seen to be believed. The only downside is that the format does little favours to the ageing old Rog - one can only imagine what he's going to look like in the OP and AVTAK Blu Rays.

Roll on QoS, GF, MR and the seriously underrated TWINE...

And with regard to the details (the faint stripes never before noticed on the minister's shirt in the Thunderball briefing) - these things have got to be seen to be understood.

Same with Craig's white shirt at the Bahamas hotel in CR. It looks like a plain white shirt on DVD; on Blu Ray, you notice it's far more stylish than that...

#57 oatesy

oatesy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 223 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:26 PM

That was actually me who mentioned the dust on the Aston Martin. I'm bringing it up because that's an example of another way the Blu-rays have helped me not just enjoy the films in a new way, but give me a better appreciation for what a film crew goes through to make a good film.

We can complain about the obvious continuity slips with the black mask and blue mask switching around later in the underwater scenes, but when you notice the other little things like that Aston Martin dust or details it somewhat makes up for that. You can find yourself looking for other things, and occasionally find new bloopers.

As an interesting side note, the dust on the Aston Martin was not just to be authentic with the dust blown up by Jet pack as it lands but also disguised the fact that in some shots a regular DB5 was used - the dust was used to hide the fact there were no join lines in the roof for the ejector seat or in the boot/trunk for the rear bullet proof shield. Apparently they only had the modified Aston for one day of the shoot.

Edited by oatesy, 16 March 2009 - 06:27 PM.

#58 singleentendre

singleentendre

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 204 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 08:26 PM

I really can't wait for TWINE to get here. I preordered it so hopefully it'll arrive the day it's supposed to. I saw it on an HD channel in 720p and it really was incredible. I can't even imagine what it'll look like on Blu Ray.

#59 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 02:26 AM

I noticed a couple of things watching LALD last night:

-When Bond arrives in New York and is being driven to meet Felix, when his driver, Charlie gets shot in the head with a dart, you can actually see the dart sticking out of the side of his head in several scenes as Bond tries to steer the car and later as the police inspect the wreck.

-Both in the French Quarter near the Filet of Soul and in Mr. Bleeker's office, there are posters/flyers for Budget Rent-a-Car. I don't know why Bleeker would have one. They may have been a promotional partner. I found it amusing since I worked for Budget when I was in college.

#60 Dekard77

Dekard77

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:30 AM

You mean to sat FYEO doesn't look great on Blu ? How did TWINE look new in Blu? I would like your opinion on this. On UE DVD Dr No, FRWL and OHMSS looked fantastic to me. LTK was looking a very cheaply done movie.
So far watched DAD and TB. TB I felt looked very cool towards the end my only complaint being Connery's make up in the beginning not upto standard Hehe.