116 replies to this topic

#61 Blofelds Cat

Blofelds Cat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 153 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 11:48 AM

I adore this series. I am currently watching The Morning After. It's such a shame there isnt a decent website about the Persuaders...

Hmmm, perhaps it's time I put my Persuaders' website back online; can't say it's decent but it would fill the void...

Edited by Blofelds Cat, 02 May 2010 - 11:50 AM.

#62 dutch_pepper

dutch_pepper

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 03:05 PM

I adore this series. I am currently watching The Morning After. It's such a shame there isnt a decent website about the Persuaders...

Hmmm, perhaps it's time I put my Persuaders' website back online; can't say it's decent but it would fill the void...

I remember your site, I believe it was very interesting.

#63 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 03:25 PM

I was going to post that, but seeing as the site hasn't been updated in two years...

Jaz Wiseman did an amazing job with the fanzine but he hasn't produced a new issue in over 2 years...

The site hasn't been updated for almost two years...

Great minds post alike. B)

#64 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 02 May 2010 - 07:52 PM

You should look at [url="http://<a%20href="http://www.itc-classics.com/"%20target="_blank">http://www.itc-class...om/</a>"]The Morning After[/url] then. :tdown:

I was going to post that, but seeing as the site hasn't been updated in two years...and I wanted to subscribe to what looked to be a lovingly-produced fanzine.

The link you provided doesn't work. Let me try: The Morning After

That's strange, it worked when I posted it, I'm sure. Oh well. Thanks for sorting that out, Brian. B)

My 8-year old and I have just recently finished watching the whole series on the 9 disc boxset and we both thoroughly enjoyed every episode. Even the extra episode from THE SAINT, The Ex-King Of Diamonds, that was included with a plethora of extras on the set was fascinating to watch. Despite all his foibles Tony Curtis' Danny Wild character is a definite inprovement on the Stuart Damon one in that ep.

#65 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 10:57 PM

My 8-year old and I have just recently finished watching the whole series on the 9 disc boxset and we both thoroughly enjoyed every episode. Even the extra episode from THE SAINT, The Ex-King Of Diamonds, that was included with a plethora of extras on the set was fascinating to watch. Despite all his foibles Tony Curtis' Danny Wild character is a definite inprovement on the Stuart Damon one in that ep.

That's one hip kid you got there!

The bonus features on the Network set are indeed enticing for those of us who have to make do with the A&E discs. The A&E transfers are sharp and color vivid, but I'd love to be able to hear those new commentaries on the nine-disc set as well as those other extras. I've yet to read a review comparing the two DVD box sets and wonder if they're worth it in terms of picture/sound upgrade, as some eps have some sound synching problems.

#66 Brisco

Brisco

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 220 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 08:59 PM

The bonus features on the Network set are indeed enticing for those of us who have to make do with the A&E discs. The A&E transfers are sharp and color vivid, but I'd love to be able to hear those new commentaries on the nine-disc set as well as those other extras. I've yet to read a review comparing the two DVD box sets and wonder if they're worth it in terms of picture/sound upgrade, as some eps have some sound synching problems.

I'm hoping to get around to exactly such a review on the Double O Section, Brian, but I can't make any promises as to when as those whole season reviews take a lot of time.

There is also a new Australian version from a company whose name escapes my mind at the moment--NOT Umbrella. Anyway, it ports over ALL of the special features from the Network release, but doesn't include Network's booklet. The disc content appears to be EXACTLY the same, though, right down to the Network logos.

Brisco

#67 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 09:56 PM

I've got the A&E set, the Network set, and a French set. From what I've seen so far the transfers are about the same.

#68 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 04 May 2010 - 07:56 AM

There is also a new Australian version from a company whose name escapes my mind at the moment--NOT Umbrella. Anyway, it ports over ALL of the special features from the Network release, but doesn't include Network's booklet. The disc content appears to be EXACTLY the same, though, right down to the Network logos.

Brisco

Hi Brisco.

I'm assuming you're refering the set I have which is from [url="http://<a%20href="http://www.beyondhomeentertainment.com.au/"%20target="_blank">http://www.beyondhom...ent.com.au/</a>"]Beyond Home Entertainment[/url]. I bought it for $38 in JB Hi-Fi.

BTW, looooove your blog, mate. B)

#69 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 06:13 PM

I'm assuming you're refering the set I have which is from[url="http://&lt;a%20href="http://www.beyondhomeentertainment.com.au/"%20target="_blank"&gt;http://www.beyondhom...au/&#60;/a&#62;"]Beyond Home Entertainment[/url]. I bought it for $38 in JB Hi-Fi.

The cover is as tame as the A&E versions.

#70 dutch_pepper

dutch_pepper

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 07:24 PM

These are the covers of the dutch dvd sets: Unfortunately, they only have one special feature (audiocommentary on 'Overture').

Posted Image Posted Image

I hope the series will be released on blu-ray someday with some nice special features.

Edited by dutch_pepper, 04 May 2010 - 07:25 PM.

#71 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 08:08 PM

I'm assuming you're refering the set I have which is from[url="http://&lt;a%20href="http://www.beyondhomeentertainment.com.au/"%20target="_blank"&gt;http://www.beyondhom...au/&#60;/a&#62;"]Beyond Home Entertainment[/url]. I bought it for $38 in JB Hi-Fi.

The cover is as tame as the A&E versions.

Yes, that's the cover of the slip box and the boxset cover itself, while different, is in the same style and just as underwhelming. Still, can't really judge a boxset by its cover.

My son and I also watched the 4 movies, but I was disappointed that each one were just 2 selected episodes back to back with very minimal, in any, editing the two together.

#72 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 01:06 AM

That's one hip kid you got there!

I live in the States and had the A&E sets. I ended up getting The Network set from Region 2 anyway though. Network has done a great job with The Saint sets as well as The Persuaders!

I've never noticed any sync issues at all. The episodes play just fine on my Oppo dvd player as well.

Highly recommended set!

#73 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 04:46 PM

Does anyone here own the 1973 PERSUADERS ANNUAL? I'd be interested in knowing its contents. Is it anything like the Doctor Who annuals?

#74 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:28 PM

An April 22 update from The Morning After Persuaders/ITC site. Hope he doesn't mind me reprinting the news:

Five unmade storylines for The Persuaders! discovered.

"Twelve years ago I made contact with the widow of Tony Williamson (script-writer on many ITC series) who informed me that somewhere in her loft she had some scripts from The Persuaders! including five unmade storylines. A few years ago I got back in contact with her and after a weekend of rummaging she located the storylines and sent me photocopies. Last week she very kindly gave the originals to me and I can now reveal that four of the five were intended to be episodes for a second series (which we all know was never made). In my last ever conversation with Bob Baker, he confirmed that he and Tony had worked on some script ideas for a proposed second series. The typed storylines themselves are detailed in how the episode opens, what happens in each act and how the story finishes and are three or four pages in length. The titles of the the storylines are: A Long Weekend (the only storyline titled as The Friendly Persuaders - a rejected story for the first series), A Shooting War, A Girl Could Get Killed..., Rendezvous and Invitation To A Funeral."

http://www.itc-classics.com/

#75 Brisco

Brisco

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 220 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:39 PM

Hi Brisco.

I'm assuming you're refering the set I have which is from [url="http://&lt;a%20href="http://www.beyondhomeentertainment.com.au/"%20target="_blank"&gt;http://www.beyondhom...au/&#60;/a&#62;"]Beyond Home Entertainment[/url]. I bought it for $38 in JB Hi-Fi.

BTW, looooove your blog, mate. B)

Yeah, that's the one. And I'm glad you like the blog! Thanks. :tdown:

#76 Brisco

Brisco

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 220 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:51 PM

Does anyone here own the 1973 PERSUADERS ANNUAL? I'd be interested in knowing its contents. Is it anything like the Doctor Who annuals?

I've got it, but I don't have any Doctor Who ones, so I'm afraid I can't compare! It's like most annuals, though: same chintzy hardcover binding, same illustrated stories, features and comics. And all very much aimed at kids. I liked the comics, simple as they were. I was kind of shocked, though, that Danny refers to the judge at one point as an "old f@g." That's not language that would have passed on the show itself, and here it is in a kids' annual! (Nor does it really seem in character.)

#77 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 12:14 AM

I've got it, but I don't have any Doctor Who ones, so I'm afraid I can't compare! It's like most annuals, though: same chintzy hardcover binding, same illustrated stories, features and comics. And all very much aimed at kids. I liked the comics, simple as they were. I was kind of shocked, though, that Danny refers to the judge at one point as an "old f@g." That's not language that would have passed on the show itself, and here it is in a kids' annual! (Nor does it really seem in character.)

That's exactly how the Dr Who annuals are, sans the "old f@g" remark, of course.

#78 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 11:41 PM

An April 22 update from The Morning After Persuaders/ITC site. Hope he doesn't mind me reprinting the news:

Five unmade storylines for The Persuaders! discovered.

"Twelve years ago I made contact with the widow of Tony Williamson (script-writer on many ITC series) who informed me that somewhere in her loft she had some scripts from The Persuaders! including five unmade storylines. A few years ago I got back in contact with her and after a weekend of rummaging she located the storylines and sent me photocopies. Last week she very kindly gave the originals to me and I can now reveal that four of the five were intended to be episodes for a second series (which we all know was never made). In my last ever conversation with Bob Baker, he confirmed that he and Tony had worked on some script ideas for a proposed second series. The typed storylines themselves are detailed in how the episode opens, what happens in each act and how the story finishes and are three or four pages in length. The titles of the the storylines are: A Long Weekend (the only storyline titled as The Friendly Persuaders - a rejected story for the first series), A Shooting War, A Girl Could Get Killed..., Rendezvous and Invitation To A Funeral."

http://www.itc-classics.com/

amazing! Are these available to read? I didn't see a link at the site. Thanks!

#79 earl-of-marnock

earl-of-marnock

Cadet

• Crew
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:08 PM

Jaz Wiseman did an amazing job with the fanzine but he hasn't produced a new issue in over 2 years, which is a shame.

cheers for that - been so busy with work that the magazine has been put on hold - i do hope to do more regular updates to the website in the meantime.

As for the 5 unmade storylines, I hope reveal more about these in the coming months...

cheers

#80 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:00 PM

cheers for that - been so busy with work that the magazine has been put on hold - i do hope to do more regular updates to the website in the meantime.

As for the 5 unmade storylines, I hope reveal more about these in the coming months...

cheers

Speaking of the magazine, I'd be interested in back issue info. Please PM...

#81 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 01:17 AM

Jaz Wiseman did an amazing job with the fanzine but he hasn't produced a new issue in over 2 years, which is a shame.

cheers

Sounds awesome. Thank you!!

#82 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 02:02 PM

I just discovered these Persuaders comic stories from the Countdown for TV Action magazine. Looks like I'll "need" to find these, too. Nice to know that Brett and Danny had "continuing adventures."

C'mon Jaz, answer your email! (You know the economy's in the crapper when you can't even get someone to sell you stuff!) B)

#83 lazenbyland

lazenbyland

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 199 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 03:20 PM

Just good to know Blofeld's Cat is still around. I thought he'd been run over by a car or something.

Any chance of resurrecting the OHMSS site too?

LL

#84 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:35 AM

After watching The Persuaders more times than I care to admit over the years, it actually came as a bit of a suprise seeing Moore as 007! He's so much more serious and in comparison with the effervescent Lord Brett Sinclair, Moore's Bond seems dour by comparison! Maybe those who think Rog's Bond is lightweight should view him through a Persuaders "lens."

#85 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:44 PM

I'll be in London this August--that volcanic ash better be gone--and I hope to scope out some Persuaders locations, especially Brett's London flat--located at Queen Anne's Gate according to The Persuaders Locations site.

Here I am in front of Brett's flat in 2008.

Just back from London. I, too stood where Brett Sinclair resided and will post the photo as soon as I get a copy. It was a grand moment for this Persuaders fan! Beautiful day, as well!

#86 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:09 PM

I'll be in London this August--that volcanic ash better be gone--and I hope to scope out some Persuaders locations, especially Brett's London flat--located at Queen Anne's Gate according to The Persuaders Locations site.

Here I am in front of Brett's flat in 2008.

...And here's yours truly in front of Brett's flat in 2010. The happiest day of my Persuaders-loving life.

Posted Image

#87 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:43 PM

So long, Danny Wilde. :(

#88 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 01:53 PM

So long, Danny Wilde. :(

Agreed! Farewell Tony! : (

#89 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 04:55 AM

The Persuaders! series is coming to blu ray from Network UK in 2011!!!!

It's currently listed on the main page in the lower right hand corner of the ad for the new Retro Action series!!

http://www.networkdvd.net/index.php

Retro Action set 1 blu ray set will also feature The Persuaders! episode Chain Of Events!

I hope that the series will play on US region 1 blu ray players!!

Very awesome news!!!! I am planning on picking up this series for sure!!

#90 earl-of-marnock

earl-of-marnock

Cadet

• Crew
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 02:30 PM

TMA website updated today.

www.itc-classics.com