This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

SPOILERS: The most disturbing scene in a Bond movie. EVER!

137 replies to this topic

#121 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 09:08 AM

Most disturbing scene was in QOS, but it was when M removed her make-up. That was so unnecessary Marc Forster. :(

Huh? I thought that was a marvelous touch! It showed the juxtaposition of M doing what she would normally do every evening, against the extraordinary demands MI6 placed on her and Bond. It astonishes me that people don't appreciate that, but to each his/her own.

I think the reason people say they dislike the scene is simply because it has Judi Dench in it. I'll never understand the dislke for her ...

#122 eddychaput

eddychaput

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 10:01 PM

Most disturbing scene ever...Hmm. Let me think.

I'd say it was Mathieu Amalric (one of my favorite actors working today) thinking that a bulgy eye look was more than enough to make a great Bond villain.

#123 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 01:13 AM

Most disturbing scene was in QOS, but it was when M removed her make-up. That was so unnecessary Marc Forster. :(

Huh? I thought that was a marvelous touch! It showed the juxtaposition of M doing what she would normally do every evening, against the extraordinary demands MI6 placed on her and Bond. It astonishes me that people don't appreciate that, but to each his/her own.

I think the reason people say they dislike the scene is simply because it has Judi Dench in it. I'll never understand the dislke for her ...

Same here. And yes, I get that it's not everyone's cuppa tea to see an older woman removing her makeup with cold cream, but that's what I thought was so endearing about it. This is the sort of thing M would do every night. Probably not while ordering that one of her agent's movements be restricted and that he be stripped of his financial means. But that's the wonderful contrast: ordinary behavior juxtaposed with extraordinary action. Not every Bond moment has to be sexed up.

#124 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 06:08 PM

I'd say it was Mathieu Amalric (one of my favorite actors working today) thinking that a bulgy eye look was more than enough to make a great Bond villain.

Well, that's hardly sticking to the rules, eddy. Favorite scene?

Anyway. Are you a fan of Largo, or Klebb, or LeChiffre? If so, where did they succeed that Greene does not?

What more would you have him do to reach great Bond villain status?

#125 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 06:54 PM

Are you a fan of Largo, or Klebb, or LeChiffre? If so, where did they succeed that Greene does not?

What more would you have him do to reach great Bond villain status?

Speaking of Klebb, I saw a 35 mm print of From Russia With Love on the Big Screen last night, and Amalric as Greene makes Klebb look like a frightened old lady at a grandmothers' tea party.

#126 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 07:10 PM

Speaking of Klebb, I saw a 35 mm print of From Russia With Love on the Big Screen last night, and Amalric as Greene makes Klebb look like a frightened old lady at a grandmothers' tea party.

Call it coincidence, homage or somewhere in between, but I totally see similarities in the approach to Klebb’s final scene and Greene’s.

Both fights put me on a precarious edge. Both villains attack in a wild rage, without any sense of strategy, and it’s all very unsettling to me.

Of course QOS is updated, so that fight has the better choreography. But the Klebb fight keeps its own edge even today if only for the fact that it involves a knife on a shoe; a kicking shoe will strike a man in one particular location more often than not. It's still a very "YIKES!!!" scene.

#127 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 07:37 PM

Why was Tanya wavering back and forthin her aim at the end? It's as if she was deciding who she was going to shoot.

I wonder what that was all about. If it was Terrence Young or what.

#128 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 09:46 PM

Why was Tanya wavering back and forthin her aim at the end? It's as if she was deciding who she was going to shoot.

Um... Hildy, she was deciding who to shoot. It was either a superior officer or the spy who loved her; more often than not, a directorial choice... :(

#129 HH007

HH007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1833 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:48 PM

Um... Hildy, she was deciding who to shoot. It was either a superior officer or the spy who loved her; more often than not, a directorial choice... :(

It was probably in the script as well.

#130 Professor Pi

Professor Pi

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:10 AM

New thoughts on the dumpster scene:

I've told my friend about the raging CBn debate on this scene, and he suggested an idea I hadn't read here. At the beginning of QoS, Mr. White when being interrogated says, "If Vesper hadn't died, we'd have had you too." So the idea is that Bond dumps Mathis in the dumptser to send a message to Quantum: That they can't get to Bond by taking out someone close to him. By throwing his closest friend, Mathis, into the dumpster, Bond's showing Quantum how little that will affect the pursuit of his job.

Thoughts?

#131 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:07 AM

The most disturbing scene in a Bond film ever....?

The glimpse of Connery's basement thatch as he hangs up his suit and is about to bed TIFFANY CASE in DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER! That's like catching your Dad naked in the corridor when you've gone back home for a visit...

#132 Mr Teddy Bear

Mr Teddy Bear

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1154 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:57 AM

The most disturbing scene in a Bond film ever....?

The glimpse of Connery's basement thatch as he hangs up his suit and is about to bed TIFFANY CASE in DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER! That's like catching your Dad naked in the corridor when you've gone back home for a visit...

B)

As for the 'dumping of Mathis', I see no strategic reason why Bond would do this, only emotional ones.

• Bond was starting to lose his composure, something he desperately wanted to avoid, so he deposed of Mathis' body to restore it.
  • He though placing Mathis' body in the trash was the most respectful send off he could give his friend, given the situation.

Edited by Mr Teddy Bear, 25 March 2009 - 12:00 PM.

#133 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 05:11 PM

I've told my friend about the raging CBn debate on this scene, and he suggested an idea I hadn't read here. At the beginning of QoS, Mr. White when being interrogated says, "If Vesper hadn't died, we'd have had you too." So the idea is that Bond dumps Mathis in the dumptser to send a message to Quantum: That they can't get to Bond by taking out someone close to him. By throwing his closest friend, Mathis, into the dumpster, Bond's showing Quantum how little that will affect the pursuit of his job.

Thoughts?

Very interesting. I'd not thought of this. I think I agree with your friend. Having watched it again on DVD, I'm also reminded that the brutality of death is reflected in the way Mathis is lying there in the bags of garbage. At that point, it really doesn't matter to the deceased where his/her body is; as Bond tells Camille, the dead are beyond caring.

#134 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 05:22 PM

Thoughts?

Wonderful interpretation! Makes total sense to me. Haven´t thought of it before.

#135 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:34 AM

Thoughts?

I don't buy it. Regardless, it's a totally un-Bondian thing for 007 to do to Mathis. Doing it to an enemy? Sure. But a good friend? No way.

#136 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 03:05 AM

Thoughts?

I don't buy it. Regardless, it's a totally un-Bondian thing for 007 to do to Mathis. Doing it to an enemy? Sure. But a good friend? No way.

I disagree. I like it.

I've never understood the argument that it's un-Bondian. I personally don't find Moore's epithets like "No more problems..." very Bondian. Not by Fleming standards, anyway (cue eyeroll). IMO, verily.

#137 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 03:08 AM

Thoughts?

I disagree. I like it.

I've never understood the argument that it's un-Bondian. I personally don't find Moore's epithets like "No more problems..." very Bondian. Not by Fleming standards, anyway (cue eyeroll). IMO, verily.

Completely agreed. I thought that the scene was very well done, with great acting by Craig and Giannini. Certainly one of the most memorable moments in the film, which has quite a few memorable moments.

#138 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:13 PM

Thoughts?

I disagree. I like it.

Completely agreed. I thought that the scene was very well done, with great acting by Craig and Giannini. Certainly one of the most memorable moments in the film, which has quite a few memorable moments.

I, too, found it quite memorable: It was a hell of a lot more emotional than most of the "sacrificial lamb" scenes in the other Bond films, and it also signaled to the audience that no one, not even a Fleming original, is safe from death.