Newly announced Bond game was originally planned for a September 2009 release

#2 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 11:19 PM

I had a feeling this was what they were going to go for next year. Think there will be a regular shooter from Treyarch as well?

#3 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 11:21 PM

Excellent, I have high hopes for this. Let's see how it shapes up.

#4 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 11:24 PM

I had a feeling this was what they were going to go for next year. Think there will be a regular shooter from Treyarch as well?

Well Treyarch is working on another Bond game, but I would assume Activision would want to release only 1 game a year, therefore Treyarch's is probably a 2010 title. Besides I just don't picture them doing another in just a year's time.

#5 Conlazmoodalbrocra

Conlazmoodalbrocra

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3546 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 11:24 PM

Oh dear...this BETTER be good.

#6 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 11:29 PM

Oh dear...this BETTER be good.

Activision's first effort was satisfactory, and could have been a lot better. I hope they redeem themselves here, with a game that solely features what people badly wanted in the first game - vehicle control. I just hope we have a wide range of classic vehicles spanning the entire series.

#7 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 11:30 PM

Nice find, K1.

I guess enough time has passed in that nobody remembers the game 007 Racing.

#8 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 11:31 PM

Why don't they be daring and release a cart racer? I can imagine choosing Bond as my driver and racing against someone who chooses Jaws. And hell, let's have it be a crossover with Mario Kart, that would be awesome.

*Tongue firmly in cheek.

#9 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 11:31 PM

Nice find, K1.

We're trying hard to forget it.

Bizarre Creations is a great developer when it comes to racing games so hopefully they'll knock this one out of the park too.

#10 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 11:59 PM

Hopefully these guys remember 007 Racing & don't repeat it. Although, if they put it on a Windows Vista type development cycle & churned it out in 2014, I can't say I would be all that disappointed. :(

#11 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 01:23 AM

I bet these folks will be trying their damndest to differentiate from 007 Racing, and then surpass it. The latter shouldn't be too difficult.

#12 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 10:15 AM

Very Interesting. I'm looking really forward to playing this. It should be good. :(

I hope they recreate the car chase from the beginning of Quantum of Solace. :)

#13 sorking

sorking

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 10:42 AM

Good news, this, at least in as much as Bizarre's PGR games are genuinely excellent - and despite previous attempts the concept is a good one. The fact that they'll have had a couple of years to make it, as opposed to the half-finished job QoS turned out to be, bodes well, too.

Stupid daydream time: aside from regular racing, I'd like to see a version EVERY vehicle chase from the Bond canon included in the game. In particular:

TSWLM: The Lotus, concluding underwater!
FYEO: Citroen 2CV!
LTK: Trucks!
TND: Erm...German car park!

I'd also welcome speedboat levels...

/wishfulfilment

#14 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 10:46 AM

I would really love the see an underwater level, with the Lotus.

#15 Joey Bond

Joey Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 10:54 AM

If they were to recreate scenes in the past, I'd be looking forwards to

GF Aston Martin chase
OHMSS escape with Tracy
TLD Ice chase
TWINE Boat chase
DAD Ice chase

They better have more than just driving though.

#16 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 10:55 AM

I would really love the see an underwater level, with the Lotus.

Yes, that would be brilliant. Equally brilliant would be seeing Little Nellie take to the skies. As well as the Q boat from TWINE. I hope they have some vehicle variety.

#17 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 11:00 AM

I wonder, I just wonder that Activision didn't include the Car Chase, Boat Chase and Dog Fight so that they could use it in this.

#18 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 02:54 PM

Wow! 007 Racing II !

#19 sorking

sorking

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 04:49 PM

I wonder, I just wonder that Activision didn't include the Car Chase, Boat Chase and Dog Fight so that they could use it in this.

I think it was discussed at one point, maybe even some early work done, before either 'they decided the all-POV-shooter style was more appropriate' or (my version) 'they realised they'd never have the time to finish the game if it contained more than one basic style'.

I imagine thinking/knowing that a second game was on the cards would have made the decision easier, but anything missing from the QoS game is bound to be down to time and money rather than particular creative choices.

#20 dogmanstar

dogmanstar

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 446 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 05:04 PM

Very Interesting. I'm looking really forward to playing this. It should be good. :(

I hope they recreate the car chase from the beginning of Quantum of Solace. :)

Me, too. That would be pretty yummy.

#21 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 05:55 PM

Nice find, K1.

We're trying hard to forget it.

Bizarre Creations is a great developer when it comes to racing games so hopefully they'll knock this one out of the park too.

That'd certainly be nice. Things can only improve from 007 Racing.

#22 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:19 PM

I'd be interestered to see this as well.

#23 BlackFire

BlackFire

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1300 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:54 PM

This might be a good or a really bad game.

#24 RivenWinner

RivenWinner

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 256 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 10:49 PM

And I thought Activision was going to follow its word and make good, serious Bond games. A James Bond racing game? Please, get out of town. This is nothing more than exploiting the 007 license. I know Bizarre Creations has made some great racing titles in the past, but I don't think this concept works well with Bond, as "007 Racing" proved (and yes, it was a terribly made game, but nonetheless...).

Obviously, I'll wait and see, but this isn't exactly the news I was hoping for concerning Bond video games.

#25 BlackFire

BlackFire

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1300 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 11:35 PM

They should ask Masahiro Sakurai for help on how to develop a very good Wii game with good graphics and good multiplayer.

This is just an excuse to make Bond fans buy it and drive the Aston Martin.

#26 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 01:11 AM

And I thought Activision was going to follow its word and make good, serious Bond games. A James Bond racing game? Please, get out of town. This is nothing more than exploiting the 007 license. I know Bizarre Creations has made some great racing titles in the past, but I don't think this concept works well with Bond, as "007 Racing" proved (and yes, it was a terribly made game, but nonetheless...).

Obviously, I'll wait and see, but this isn't exactly the news I was hoping for concerning Bond video games.

Be careful jumping to conclusions. The actual phrase used was "racing-oriented". That could mean anything really; Grand Theft Auto is "racing-oriented" or someone could make that argument. We don't know the extent, we just assume because its Bizarre Creations.

I don't feel they're exploiting the license. I think they're just alternating ideas so they're not releasing the same or similar game every year like they do with Call of Duty.

#27 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 05:03 AM

Be careful jumping to conclusions. The actual phrase used was "racing-oriented". That could mean anything really; Grand Theft Auto is "racing-oriented" or someone could make that argument. We don't know the extent, we just assume because its Bizarre Creations.

I don't feel they're exploiting the license. I think they're just alternating ideas so they're not releasing the same or similar game every year like they do with Call of Duty.

I've had this idea for a wile it weould be interesting give bond fans a game in the style of GTA gioving bond various missions a standard place to save (his apartment with an autmatic aston martin out front) Perhaps it would be a great way to use the title many fans hate

007 in new york.

just shooting out ideas.

#28 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 05:37 AM

I've had this idea for a wile it weould be interesting give bond fans a game in the style of GTA gioving bond various missions a standard place to save (his apartment with an autmatic aston martin out front) Perhaps it would be a great way to use the title many fans hate

007 in new york.

just shooting out ideas.

Too much of a clone and hard to implement. You're a criminal in GTA. Bond is "supposed to show some sort of judgment" and worthiness to hold his license to kill. I don't know how you would make this work.

An RPG in the vein of Mass Effect would be cool, but I'm not so sure Activision or any of its developers could pull it off frankly. It's a lot of work and they'd have to hire a pretty heavy duty writer for it. Raymond Benson has experience with games. That'd be awesome...

#29 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 06:04 AM

I remember there was that Spy Hunter game with The Rock in it that was driving-oriented, but you could get out and there'd be on-foot action levels too, ideally I'd prefer something like that, as personally I'm not really into driving games, outside of the driving that's in GTA type games.

#30 YouKnowTheName

YouKnowTheName

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 227 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 02:46 PM

Well, what a great idea! Because it went so well when EA pulled that :(.

Seriously, a racing game? Rather than take all the great things from QOS, scrape away all the crappy things and develop toward a really good Bond game, they've gone for making another gimmicky game that'll rely on the license to make sales. My faith in Activison has dropped off the bottom of the scale.

This has QOS 2 written all over it. Yes, I'm sure it'll be a well made driving game with the PGR guys behind it. And 007 Racing is often chided for its lack of decent driving mechanics (I never played it because the idea of a Bond driving game is so teeth splinteringly awful) and this should have great mechanics. Yet QOS had the best action mechanics since GoldenEye, something the games had been crying out for since EA got their hands on it, and it still failed to make a mark simply because they rushed/ballsed up everything else (i.e level design, story, length...well, you played it).

If they start boasting about how they've got the "PGR engine" or anything I'm buying two copies of The Bourne Conspiracy. I will officially never be excited about a Bond game again*

*may not be true.