97 replies to this topic

#91 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 04:05 AM

Chill out, folks. No need to taking things too seriously. :)

Your online doctor recommends you're suffering from 'Internet Fatigue'. Just take a "chill-pill", and come back in a couple of days.

:(

Things were going fine then the dumb kid started with the insults that he would be too cowardly to throw in person.

Know what you mean. I used to get wound up when some idiot messed with my blood pressure (think Chula :)). But I've learned not to take things too seriously. Probably why I come across as an ageing Brit who sounds as absurd as an ashtray on a motorbike. :)

We all have moods. We're all human. We may see changes in posts by friends and wonder if they are actually friends. Problem is. We can safely sit in our abodes and become someone we're not. We can come across as intelligent (thanks to being able to obtain any information by doing a Google), or be an alter-ego of ourselves by becoming someone else.

But. If we find we have a dissagreement with an Internet friend who becomes idiotic, is it worth getting the blood pressure up by taking him/her/it too seriously?

Besides. We're all in contempt in displaying and alter-ego by using a pseudonym, and not our real names. ;)

Cheers,

Oddcrap. :D

#92 Angel of Death

Angel of Death

Cadet

• Crew
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 05:30 AM

I think the old lady was an attempt at humor.

I think it is hypocritical to slag off sharpshooter with every name under the sun. Calling him a dumb kid, stupid, little prick, a smart :( kid, a coward, calling his book a load of dog :), saying you don't give a crap what that guy said, etc. You have thrown a lot more hurtful insults than him, who as far as I can tell only called you a fool and wisely left.

Edited by Angel of Death, 03 December 2008 - 05:35 AM.

#93 Mister E

Mister E

Resigned

• Discharged
  • PipPipPip
  • 2160 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 05:45 AM

I think it is hypocritical to slag off sharpshooter with every name under the sun. Calling him a dumb kid, stupid, little prick, a smart :) kid, a coward, calling his book a load of dog :), saying you don't give a crap what that guy said, etc. You have thrown a lot more hurtful insults than him, who as far as I can tell only called you a fool and wisely left.

Jesus, is this never going to end ? I insulted his book, an inanimate object then just because I didn't agree with him he called me a fool. You read a few posts and just assumed what was going on. :( Now is that ? Anyone else want to continue telling me how wrong I am ?

#94 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 05:55 AM

For folks paying attention to the movie: It was a foreshadowing of the subsequent rope-fight thing.

For folks who paid money to see a "Bond flick:" It was an old lady who, tragically, dropped her fruit. Life's not a bowl of cherries, that sort of thing.

For Bond fans: It was the scene upon which the entire film was predicated.

Apparently.

Next: discuss the contention that Beam's mustache and Felix Leiter's beard are, in fact, representative of Bond's own preconceived notions about the role of peep-show booth cleaners in the modern world.

#95 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 07:27 AM

I think it is hypocritical to slag off sharpshooter with every name under the sun. Calling him a dumb kid, stupid, little prick, a smart :) kid, a coward, calling his book a load of dog :), saying you don't give a crap what that guy said, etc. You have thrown a lot more hurtful insults than him, who as far as I can tell only called you a fool and wisely left.

Jesus, is this never going to end ? I insulted his book, an inanimate object then just because I didn't agree with him he called me a fool. You read a few posts and just assumed what was going on. :( Now is that ? Anyone else want to continue telling me how wrong I am ?

Please, seriously and genuinely, please calm down. Things will only degenerate further if this sort of thing continues.

#96 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 08:06 AM

Take a step back and you see four pages of intense debate about...

...a tiny scene in an action film depicting an old lady dropping some cherries.

Yep, it's official, the internet really has made the world lose its collective sanity.

#97 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 09:08 AM

For folks paying attention to the movie: It was a foreshadowing of the subsequent rope-fight thing.

For folks who paid money to see a "Bond flick:" It was an old lady who, tragically, dropped her fruit. Life's not a bowl of cherries, that sort of thing.

For Bond fans: It was the scene upon which the entire film was predicated.

Apparently.

Next: discuss the contention that Beam's mustache and Felix Leiter's beard are, in fact, representative of Bond's own preconceived notions about the role of peep-show booth cleaners in the modern world.

Another winning post. :(

As for me, I saw no humor or foreshadowing of later scenes or anything resembling subtle inferences other than what was shown on screen. I guess I'm not the Bond fan I thought I was because apparently I ended up only paying money to see a Bond flick. :)

:)

#98 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 03:13 PM

She didnt drop her fruit. Something Mitchell did caused it to fall.

Cherries just aren't safe around that guy.

Strawberry neither.

Well, honestly I had forgotten about this scene, but, come to think of it, maybe it wasn't absolutely well done. A tad too long and heavy on the "typical Italian nonna" cliché. They could have spared the scene when she holds her head, lamenting in Italian over her basket of vegetables. Or they could have made something really funnier. This is a little bit "in between".