97 replies to this topic

#61 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 05:06 PM

Reaction is also integral you know, the victim has to have a funny reaction or some funny result has to occur.

Precisely. So it isn't just misfortune that is comedic, but rather the context in which this misfortune takes place.

#62 Mister E

Mister E

Resigned

• Discharged
  • PipPipPip
  • 2160 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 05:07 PM

Ah, but there is. Or at least there should be.

Gee, who's word am I going to value ? One of the greatest entertainers who ever lived or some random internet guy ?

#63 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 05:10 PM

Gee, who's word am I going to value ? One of the greatest entertainers who ever lived or some random internet guy ?

Beginning to teeter on the lip of the pit of grumpy, this thread about a supporting artiste and her fruit mishap. Do be nice.

#64 Mister E

Mister E

Resigned

• Discharged
  • PipPipPip
  • 2160 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 05:12 PM

Reaction is also integral you know, the victim has to have a funny reaction or some funny result has to occur.

Precisely. So it isn't just misfortune that is comedic, but rather the context in which this misfortune takes place.

The context doesn't matter. Humor doesn't have a limit to where and what circumstances it takes place.

Beginning to teeter on the lip of the pit of grumpy, this thread about a supporting artiste and her fruit mishap. Do be nice.

That wasn't even close to an insult. EVERYONE here is random to me because I don't know any of you.

#65 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 05:17 PM

The context doesn't matter. Humor doesn't have a limit to where and what circumstances it takes place.

That wasn't even close to an insult. EVERYONE here is random to me because I don't know any of you.

Seems like there is a limit to where and when humour takes place, then.

A jest's prosperity..., and all that sort of guff.

#66 Mister E

Mister E

Resigned

• Discharged
  • PipPipPip
  • 2160 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 05:19 PM

Seems like there is a limit to where and when humour takes place, then.

A jest's prosperity..., and all that sort of guff.

Jesus Christ, I don't know how nicely I could have put it ? Is it against the rules to be frank ? Random Internet Guy is vague and completely non-offesive. :(

#67 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 05:22 PM

Jesus Christ, I don't know how nicely I could have put it ?

Evidently.

Back onto whatever this weird topic is, please.

#68 Mister E

Mister E

Resigned

• Discharged
  • PipPipPip
  • 2160 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 05:23 PM

Evidently.

No please, tell me how I could have put it ? Please educate me Jim.

#69 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 05:28 PM

Evidently.

No please, tell me how I could have put it ? Please educate me Jim.

This should be fun.

#70 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 05:28 PM

I hope the weird old lady becomes the new weird bottle guy from the SWLM/MR/FYEO trilogy.

#71 Cabainus

Cabainus

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 372 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 05:30 PM

Didn't I hear of a deleted scene where Mitchell stops and helps the old woman with her cherries? Can anyone confirm?

I find all this very odd.

#72 honeyjes

honeyjes

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 07:02 PM

Guess what another thread where:

"A little learning is a dangerous thing; drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: there shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, and drinking largely sobers us again."

#73 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 11:50 PM

Didn't I hear of a deleted scene where Mitchell stops and helps the old woman with her cherries? Can anyone confirm?

Rumor has it that in the background the soundtrack softly played "Life is just a bowl of cherries."

#74 BoogieBond

BoogieBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 12:38 AM

I hope the weird old lady becomes the new weird bottle guy from the SWLM/MR/FYEO trilogy.

What so she goes on holiday to Venice, and is sitting in St Marks Square eating her new cherries, and Craig shows up in an inflatable gondola, she drops the bowl of cherries again, and we quickly cut to a double taking pigeon :(
I suppose that could happen in the Craig era, for his last film :)

#75 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 12:46 AM

Just because people did not laugh, they think it is not intended to be funny. It’s just a matter of the gag gagging itself to death.

Humour can be many things. Not only can it be absurdity or irony, it can also be misfortune. People have always laughed at the misfortunes of others. Mistakes trigger humour. Just like we laugh at a person slipping on a banana skin. This has been used in a whole branch of visual humour, which is called ‘slapstick’.

It’s just how humans are. In Uganda, these people suffer flash floods, predatory animals, drought – you name it. With all these hardships they endure, they still have the ability to laugh at their circumstances. Laughter arises from another person’s misery. We ultimately laugh as a release of tension, and when we laugh at someone else’s misfortune it is partially a subconscious recognition of “Thank God that wasn’t me.”

And, Mister E, remember you asked if I saw in advance that the fruit that was going to fall? Well, there is evidence of humour and laughter occurring under circumstances in which ‘civilised persons’ would never anticipate events happening. Well, in this instance, the gag failed.

#76 Mister E

Mister E

Resigned

• Discharged
  • PipPipPip
  • 2160 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 01:29 AM

And, Mister E, remember you asked if I saw in advance that the fruit that was going to fall? Well, there is evidence of humour and laughter occurring under circumstances in which ‘civilised persons’ would never anticipate events happening. Well, in this instance, the gag failed.

What are you talking about ? What evidence ?

#77 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 01:39 AM

It's from a book called Humour: The Psychology of Living Buoyantly by Herbert M. Lefcourt. I found it online.

#78 Mister E

Mister E

Resigned

• Discharged
  • PipPipPip
  • 2160 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 01:42 AM

It's from a book called Humour: The Psychology of Living Buoyantly by Herbert M. Lefcourt. I found it online.

So ? I don't give a crap what that guy said. Is he a comedian ? Now tell me how did you anticipate what was going to happen ?

#79 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 01:45 AM

It's incredible how such a minute detail such as this can generate such a heated (teetering on vicious) discussion. I found the moment to be amusing and a bit sad because the poor old lady was just minding her own business and winds up getting hip checked by a spy. It was one of the moments that made me think, "Only in Bond."

#80 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 01:46 AM

Now tell me how did you anticipate what was going to happen ?

I did not anticipate it.

#81 Mister E

Mister E

Resigned

• Discharged
  • PipPipPip
  • 2160 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 01:47 AM

Now tell me how did you anticipate what was going to happen ?

I did not anticipate it.

Alright then, you have no argument about the fruit falling.

#82 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 01:51 AM

Um...

evidence of humour and laughter occurring under circumstances in which ‘civilised persons’ would never anticipate events happening.

I did not anticipate the moment. The moment was set up for a laugh, and I did not. It did not make me smile. It did nothing. Zero.

#83 Mister E

Mister E

Resigned

• Discharged
  • PipPipPip
  • 2160 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 01:54 AM

Um...

evidence of humour and laughter occurring under circumstances in which ‘civilised persons’ would never anticipate events happening.

I did not anticipate the moment. The moment was set up for a laugh, and I did not. It did not make me smile. It did nothing. Zero.

You think you need the anticipation ? You just didn't find it funny is all. Also, that book is a load of dog :(. I hope you didn't pay alot for it.

#84 kneelbeforezod

kneelbeforezod

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1131 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 02:18 AM

Craziest thread I've read in a while! :( foreshadowing??!!

#85 Mister E

Mister E

Resigned

• Discharged
  • PipPipPip
  • 2160 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 02:27 AM

It's incredible how such a minute detail such as this can generate such a heated (teetering on vicious) discussion.

I was trying to be nice and then a smart aleck overblew a response I wrote out of proportion.

#86 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 02:38 AM

I take it as a nod to the days when Bond took a grape (or some other form of fruit) etc after or during a fight scene. But Bond does not have the opportunity to do it here. :(

#87 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 03:21 AM

Good lord. Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. Lesson learned. I’m out of here.

#88 Mister E

Mister E

Resigned

• Discharged
  • PipPipPip
  • 2160 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 03:25 AM

Good lord. Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. Lesson learned. I’m out of here.

Yes, go ahead and insult then escape the debate. So long :(. Amazing how stupid people such as yourself are so easy to throw insults. I don't know why I always run into these dumb, smart :) kids like you. Why is that ? Why is it I can't get any peace when I come here ? There is always some little prick like you around to annoy me.

#89 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 03:40 AM

Chill out, folks. No need to taking things too seriously. :)

Your online doctor recommends you're suffering from 'Internet Fatigue'. Just take a "chill-pill", and come back in a couple of days.

:(

#90 Mister E

Mister E

Resigned

• Discharged
  • PipPipPip
  • 2160 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 03:43 AM

Chill out, folks. No need to taking things too seriously. :)

Your online doctor recommends you're suffering from 'Internet Fatigue'. Just take a "chill-pill", and come back in a couple of days.

:(

Things were going fine then the dumb kid started with the insults that he would be too cowardly to throw in person.