176 replies to this topic

#61 deth

deth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 06:03 AM

Why was there a need for actors at that point ? One person was trying to grab on to another with a parachute, you don't need to have the actors at that point. The stunt is the attraction so they should have had stunt people performing the scene.

I won’t say it’s a need, but for me it’s always desirable to see the lead actors do stunts themselves. Secondly, because there is acting involved in this particular scene. Bond shouts at Camille in trying to gain control of the situation. Of course the whole event is just a few seconds long, and so there isn’t much conversation going on, but it’s there. And it’s what sold the fall for me.

well I didn't really find it a distraction that it must have been stuntmen doing the work in Moonraker. We didn't see their faces anyway... and them actually DOING it in the air made it very real.

#62 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 02:57 PM

well I didn't really find it a distraction that it must have been stuntmen doing the work in Moonraker. We didn't see their faces anyway... and them actually DOING it in the air made it very real.

Actually, the stuntmen in the Moonraker PTS are very visable. Especially the part where Jaws is gaining on Bond.

Anyway, the fact that Craig and Olga actually performed the stunt sold it for me. I dont have a problem with it. BUT it's probably the action scene in Quantum of Solace that I like the least.

#63 avl

avl

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 03:05 PM

Moonraker is my favourite PTS but it is somewhat spoiled by the obvious fact that you can see Bond's parachute under his natty blazer...the perils of growing old...

I have no problem with the QoS free fall. You can see gravity doing weird rippling things to Craig's face which is fun (cf Moore in the gyro thingy in the aforesaid MR). Its quick, dirty, and advances the plot in a rather convenient way :(

#64 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 03:20 PM

Actually, the stuntmen in the Moonraker PTS are very visable. Especially the part where Jaws is gaining on Bond.

The fact that Jaws is wearing a different-coloured shirt in the close-ups doesn't help.

Still, it's a great sequence. And, inserts aside, it was all done for real.

#65 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 07:02 AM

I don't have a problem with the freefall itself, it's the pulling of the ripcord and then hitting the ground on the next shot. There needed to be a shot of the parachute opening and Bond and Camille falling for a second or two before hitting the ground. Then it would have worked. With what we have edited now, there is no way they could have survived the fall.

#66 frankwalker

frankwalker

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 92 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 07:51 AM

I don't have a problem with the freefall itself, it's the pulling of the ripcord and then hitting the ground on the next shot. There needed to be a shot of the parachute opening and Bond and Camille falling for a second or two before hitting the ground. Then it would have worked. With what we have edited now, there is no way they could have survived the fall.

Agreed. And with the action in QoS being made in a more realistic, believable, and therefore more exciting style than pre-CR Bond movies, the freefall sequence (especially the end) is far-fetched and does not fit the style of this film. It's a stretch to believe that both Bond and Camille are saved by one parachute, even if it opened up a thousand feet over the ground, and even harder to believe that it saved them by apparently opening a hundred feet over the bottom of the deep sinkhole they are unbelievably lucky to freefall into.

I know from reading some of the production information that they put a lot of effort into this sequence, but for me it doesn't work. It would be OK in IronMan, but not here.

#67 Shot Your Bolt

Shot Your Bolt

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 01:33 PM

Seriously. Shades of Brosnan Halo jump when he opens the parachute RIGHT before he hits the water.

Come the **** on, guys.

#68 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 02:36 PM

I honor the claims that this is a Brosnan'ish scene in concept, and on paper doesn't match the tone of the rest of the film.

But after having seen it a second time, I still think it's a blast in terms of its execution. And being prepared the 2nd time around, I do see the parachute open in 'enough' time for them to land.

Highly impluasible. Highly lucky. Hard to swallow, but made easier for the fact that it's a Bond film, and the visuals are cool.

#69 HellIsHere

HellIsHere

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 310 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 02:51 PM

They DID recover after the fall. The scene is intercut with a dialogue featuring Dame Judi Dench and the Defense Minister...

#70 Pierce - Daniel

Pierce - Daniel

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 03:04 PM

The dogfight was a little unneeded.
But it was all for real, they were real planes fighting, that is pretty exciting stuff. It's all for real, most action films would have had a complete CG fight, but it all was 100% real, the freefall didn't runi it, but I didn't enjoy it.

#71 Daddy Bond

Daddy Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 03:21 PM

First, there was no instant recovery. There was a scene in between that giving time to recover. Bond looked like it hit him pretty hard when he hit the ground.

Yes, the chute did open.

However, like Brosnan's Halo jump in TND, there just is not enough open chute time to slow one's speed to a survivable rate.

Folks, there is no such things as a perfect film, but this is still one fantastic Bond film IMO.

#72 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 05:12 PM

Complaining about this is as if you would have a go at the poisioning scene in CR and as far as I recall it, NOBODY ever did. I see no reason to do it here. Both were great exciting scenes and worked very well. ( I liked the plane chase and the freefall best) As already mentioned - this is Bond...

#73 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 05:27 PM

This was one scene that stuck out in my mind as not being survivable . . . or, at the very least, causing serious, serious injuries. Yes, it is a Bond film, but I could've done with a few more seconds of open-chute time before they hit the ground. "MythBusters" will have a field day with this one.

Having said that, all Bond films are full of unbelievable, fantastical moments, so I don't see any reason why "Quantum of Solace" should be any exception. It's a minor quibble with an overall great film.

#74 Roebuck

Roebuck

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 05:51 PM

Is there anybody here who actually knows about skydiving (I mean, beyond the charity tandem jump level) who could shed light on this?

#75 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 06:13 PM

Is there anybody here who actually knows about skydiving (I mean, beyond the charity tandem jump level) who could shed light on this?

I think there are, but none of them survived. :(

I think Dunph maybe able to answer this. :)

#76 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 06:17 PM

Seriously. Shades of Brosnan Halo jump when he opens the parachute RIGHT before he hits the water.

Come the **** on, guys.

How did Bond and Pussy survive after Goldfinger gets sucked out under pressure of a suddenly nose-diving jet?

They only had one parachute.

#77 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 06:28 PM

Agreeing with Germanlady, this is really no different from the CR poisoning or a dozen other such scenes in the franchise. The realism is being embraced in a way that it hasn't in years, but you've got to allow for a little fantasy somewhere in there. That's what differentiates Bond from Le Carre/Ludlum spy stories.

Of course Bond & Camille's ankles & knees would probably have been shattered at the very least. What say you about Bond surviving heart failure and quickly bounding back in to finish a poker game? Why have we gone right along with that and not the skydive?

What about catching up to a plummeting plane in freefall?

What about the exploding-when-convenient gasoline barrels in FRWL's boat chase?

What about a middle-aged Bond running up 300 steps in time to catch an escaping Mercedes?

Need I continue?

I've got no problem suspending my disbelief long enough to accept that the parachute was pulled "just in time." I found the whole sequence exhilarating, myself. If it's a "Broz-era" sequence, then it's far and away the best of such. I wouldn't want to see anything more fantastical in the Craig era, but this sequence worked just fine for me. Much better than the boat chase.

#78 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 06:56 PM

What makes the plane scene Brosnanesque anyway? The fact that there’s a plane? The fact that Bond’s flying it? The fact that there’s falling involved?

And as if “Brosnan-era” is a dirty word. I’m quick to admit that it is generally an undesirable template to start with, but the era isn’t completely bereft of value. Dalton flew a plane. Moore jumped out of one.

Or how about this: The fact that there is tolerable acting involved removes it entirely from the Brosnan era.

The graphics look a touch Die Another Day when the plane reaches its apex, and then it resembles the “Brosnan era” no more. Now, I don’t want to hear another word on the matter. :(

#79 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 07:02 PM

Come the **** on, guys.

How did Bond and Pussy survive after Goldfinger gets sucked out under pressure of a suddenly nose-diving jet?

They only had one parachute.

Maybe Bond wore a condom. :(

#80 stamper

stamper

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2994 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 07:59 PM

It's still just a Bond movie.

No. A Bond movie is a movie where the filmmaker cares about something else than "shooting on location for realism" when actually all he wants is to travel and see some country for free.

#81 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 08:09 PM

No. A Bond movie is a movie where the filmmaker cares about something else than "shooting on location for realism" when actually all he wants is to travel and see some country for free.

Same old stamper. You can always count on our French friend to :( on Quantum's successful parade. :)

#82 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 08:12 PM

Same old stamper. You can always count on our French friend to :( on Quantum's successful parade. :)

Except that it's not real :). It's Baby Ruths and fake doggie doo he's armed with.

False accusations and false alarms.

Nothing to see here, folks. Carry on with the parade. Carry on.

#83 Lazenby

Lazenby

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 08:32 PM

You mean that the plane/skydiving sequence was fake? It looked so real. Actually, the scene is profound because it represents the essence of the entire movie: fake, rushed, insulting. I digress

#84 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 08:50 PM

You mean that the plane/skydiving sequence was fake? It looked so real. Actually, the scene is profound because it represents the essence of the entire movie: fake, rushed, insulting. I digress

Where are good laughing smileys, when you need them *laughing* *laughing* *laughing*
Thanks for a good hearty laugh :(

#85 Lazenby

Lazenby

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 12:32 AM

Where are good laughing smileys, when you need them *laughing* *laughing* *laughing*
Thanks for a good hearty laugh :(
[/quote]

#86 Mister E

Mister E

Resigned

• Discharged
  • PipPipPip
  • 2160 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 12:35 AM

Before Jaws showed up, the sequence was great. Afterwards it just went down the crapper. Bad enough you have close up shots, you then have the stuntman fully visible and auditioning for a Chuck Jones cartoon.

#87 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 02:38 AM

What about catching up to a plummeting plane in freefall?

That was always awful. :(

And as if “Brosnan-era” is a dirty word. I’m quick to admit that it is generally an undesirable template to start with, but the era isn’t completely bereft of value.

Well, if you could find examples where "Brosnan-era" can be used as a complimentary term, then I'd be happy to agree with you. But I do think using the term "Brosnan-era" automatically suggests a lackluster product. There are very few moments in the Brosnan era that realize their potential.

That's not to make the Brosnan era out so much worse than anything that came before, though. There's some Moore films in the franchise that have practically nothing to commend them, either, and at least one of Brosnan's flicks is thoroughly watchable (namely, GOLDENEYE). But my above comment about unrealized potential still stands.

The graphics look a touch Die Another Day when the plane reaches its apex, and then it resembles the “Brosnan era” no more.

I think the effects are at their worst when they're tumbling through the air. Doesn't even remotely look real, despite the fact that the actors are actually in a simulated free-fall. Even the HALO jump from TOMORROW NEVER DIES was more convincing.

#88 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 02:58 AM

Doesn't even remotely look real, despite the fact that the actors are actually in a simulated free-fall. Even the HALO jump from TOMORROW NEVER DIES was more convincing.

Yeah. Wonder how much that cost. Could have got the same effect with twenty tins of 'Heinz Beans'. :( Their descent would have been a lot more convincing as they would not have needed the parachute at all. :)

#89 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 06:45 AM

Even the HALO jump from TOMORROW NEVER DIES was more convincing.

Dude, c'mon. Of course it's more convincing. Someone was doing the jump. Every time I see it, I automatically think "wow, that stunt guy's awesome."

The difference is that my mind accepts that it's Daniel Craig (in the persona of Bond) and Olga Kurylenko that are falling. That's only IMO, obviously, but to compare any part of it to DAD is going too far. There are Pixar movies that look more real than DAD. In three viewings, I didn't see a single thing that approached that level of fake. I personally thought the actors' faces from the wind tunnel looked remarkable. I'd be impressed to see another FX house make it look even more convincing.

I sound touchy, don't I? :( Sorry 'bout that. :)

#90 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 09:53 AM

Come the **** on, guys.

From my (limited) understanding, that is how the HALO (High Altitude, Low Opening) jump is made. You jump from a height above radar and open your parachute at a height below radar to avoid being detected. Consequently, there isn't a lot of time/room between the chute opening and your hitting the water. From what I understand, almost as soon as your chute opens fully and your descent is slowed to its slowest point, you release the chute and drop into the water. It's a very dangerous jump and a number of people have died from it. As a result, I have no problem with this scene.

First, there was no instant recovery. There was a scene in between that giving time to recover. Bond looked like it hit him pretty hard when he hit the ground.

Yes, the chute did open.

However, like Brosnan's Halo jump in TND, there just is not enough open chute time to slow one's speed to a survivable rate.

Folks, there is no such things as a perfect film, but this is still one fantastic Bond film IMO.

Read my statement above. I have no problem with the jump. I do, however, have a major problem with Bond and Wai Lin's escape from the Devonshire, which is perhaps the most unbelievable scene in the series (and one of my least favorite). There is absolutely no way they could escape from the depths of that ship on a lungful of air. Raymond Benson's novelization had it much more believable (and better) when he had them escape from the ship's torpedo tube or air duct (can't remember offhand) while sharing an air tank all the way to the surface.

The freefall landing may not be that bad, but it could have been better--and all it really needed was just a longer shot of the parachute being open.