105 replies to this topic

#1 Tuxedo

Tuxedo

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 237 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 06:16 PM

I´m used to fact that the audiance doesn't care for the credits at the end but this time people already stood up to leave the theatre just as the white dots appeared and the gun barrel sequence started. Personally I liked the sequence at the end but it simply didn´t work with the audience.

Btw: Great James Bond movie!

#2 Mojito133

Mojito133

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 06:30 PM

After the screen turned black, me and some people shouted :"The film isn't over yet!" and no one left. After the gunbarrel, audience applauded for approximately 2 minutes and almost all stayed after the credits. Everyone loved the film.

#3 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 06:32 PM

When I went to my second viewing, some people infront of me stood up, and when the circles began to flow along the screen, they immediatly sat down again.

#4 chriso

chriso

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 06:38 PM

When I watched QOS last friday I noticed that few people had already left the cinema. When the gunbarrel started the light goes on and people were leaving. But the 'real' fans stayed till the end, like me. They were happy as the gunbarrel began.

Edited by chriso, 09 November 2008 - 06:51 PM.

#5 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 06:40 PM

Is there such a gap between the last shot and the gunbarrel? I don't remember, and I was under the impression that it was not a long black screen between the two, and that people wouldn't have the time to make up their minds to leave?

#6 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 06:45 PM

The screen stays black for a period of 5 seconds. I think.

It's quite strange really, where I come from, people only leave the cinema when the lights go up, or atleast when the credits roll. :(

#7 Fiona Volpe lover

Fiona Volpe lover

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 347 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 06:50 PM

Putting the gunbarral at the end was I think one of the worst creative decisions [and there were loads] in the film. What was the point?

#8 chriso

chriso

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 06:54 PM

At the end of QOS Bond becomes 100% Bond we all know and the gunbarrel may be back at the beginning of Bond 23.

#9 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 01:06 PM

I'm very interested to see how my theatre reacts to the absence of the gun barrel at the start of the film, and their reaction when it turns up at the end.

#10 Sir James Moloney

Sir James Moloney

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 332 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 01:16 PM

I'm very interested to see how my theatre reacts to the absence of the gun barrel at the start of the film, and their reaction when it turns up at the end.

Well sharp, to tell you the truth, the very first shot of the film was the one that sold it for me. The gunbarrel wouldn´t have worked and it would have ruinned that brilliant first shot, it´s that incredible and unusual for a Bond film. The music and the intercut between that first shot and the preparation for the chase is unbelievable, just awe inspiring. It may be my favourite shot in the entire film and one of the better beginnings ever in the Bond universe, way better then that first shot in prague for CR, way better.

In my second viewing, the room was absolutely full, and the second that first shot emerged from the black screen post Columbia lady, the audience silenced and absorved it immediatly. The two guys who were beside me said something along the lines of: Is this it? Wow...

Really, it´s that good :(

And at the end, nobody stood up until the gunbarrel ended, they all left the room commenting on the film.

Edited by Sir James Moloney, 11 November 2008 - 01:22 PM.

#11 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 01:18 PM

When I watched QOS last friday I noticed that few people had already left the cinema. When the gunbarrel started the light goes on and people were leaving. But the 'real' fans stayed till the end, like me. They were happy as the gunbarrel began.

If I were you I would have demanded my money back from the cinema staff. They are meant to play a film unbroken and that includes end credits. They will tell you that the lights go up because of health and safety (i.e. people need to see their way out), but a simple argument against that and to ensure your money is returned is to ask why the lights don't go up when folk leave during a film to spend money on refreshments.

The current standard of film exhibition in Britain is appalling - with Odeon (the once stalwart of cinema chains) being the worse. But that is what happens when you franchise everything out too much. Staff are "trained" by staff who are "trained" by people who don't know the first thing about cinema presentation or indeed training.

I remember seeing MOULIN ROUGE with appalling sound (it kept crackling and crossing from left to right badly). I was met with the manager saying that was the way the film was intended. I said - as someone who has a bit of experience of film making and screening - that there is not a film maker alive who would intend that sound. I had to take it further - including asking that they refund everyone's money since the film opened as they were playing an inferior print. They didn't, but I got my money back and vouchers (to spend on the same now ruined film...thanks).

It used to be that cinemas were dogged by staff who were clearly frustrated and unable filmmakers. Now they are staffed by people who just don't want to work and haven't a clue about the films they are taking over-inflated money for. If you go into a restaurant, you don't expect the staff to not know a thing about the wine list or the dessert menu.

There - gripe over.

#12 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 01:24 PM

I'm led to understand that the closing credits of QUANTUM play out against a red background, one that's supposed to represent the blood from the gunbarrel sequence. However, when I saw the film at an Odeon last week, the end credits appeared against a black background. I wondered whether this was some failing on the cinema's part.

#13 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 01:28 PM

I'm led to understand that the closing credits of QUANTUM play out against a red background, one that's supposed to represent the blood from the gunbarrel sequence. However, when I saw the film at an Odeon last week, the end credits appeared against a black background. I wondered whether this was some failing on the cinema's part.

Absolutely. I was fortunate enough to see a screening that would only have been as the film was intended. If you bought a book and the last page has someone else's take on how the book does ends, would you return it and demand a refund on the grounds the book was not as the author intended? I know I would.

If the audience's will put up with :(, they will only get presented with :).

#14 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 01:32 PM

Absolutely. I was fortunate enough to see a screening that would only have been as the film was intended.

I see. Thanks for confirming that. Roll on the DVD, then.

#15 gt007

gt007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 05:37 PM

In both viewings I was very unlucky. When the screen turned black before the dots, they turned on the lights. I haven't seen the gunbarrel properly and I'm afraid I won't till the DVD release.

#16 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 06:09 PM

All the times I've seen movies the lights don't go on till the credits start rolling. Surely they would wait till the credits came up to turn the lights on eh? Seeing as the gunbarrel is part of the film it just doesnt make sense to bring the lights on at that point.

#17 Mr. Somerset

Mr. Somerset

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1760 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 07:53 PM

In both viewings I was very unlucky. When the screen turned black before the dots, they turned on the lights. I haven't seen the gunbarrel properly and I'm afraid I won't till the DVD release.

That's terrible. How careless can the projector operator be?

#18 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 08:01 PM

That's terrible. How careless can the projector operator be?

I would demand a full refund and assurances it will not happen again. Cinema is one of the few mediums where the audience does not get a pair of trousers, a full meal or a haircut to take away with them when they have handed over their money. Cinema is about providing an experience and if that experience is marred by bad management and even worse projection and presentations of a film, then we are all entitled to complain and get reimbursed.

If more people did this, then the cinema experience would improve, more people may return to the cinemas and better and more varied films would get made.

#19 Double-0-Seven

Double-0-Seven

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2710 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 12:11 AM

A few people got up in my theatre but either sat back down for the gun barrel, or just stood in their place and watched it. I overheard a few comments of people saying that should have placed it at the beginning, but overall the audience seemed very happy with the film.

#20 007Travis

007Travis

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 12:16 AM

I´m used to fact that the audiance doesn't care for the credits at the end but this time people already stood up to leave the theatre just as the white dots appeared and the gun barrel sequence started. Personally I liked the sequence at the end but it simply didn´t work with the audience.

Btw: Great James Bond movie!

Same thing just happened to me. Kind of annoyed me everyone stood up and blocked my view. I think I was the only one still sitting.

#21 pparker007

pparker007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 04:09 AM

OMG-what was the deal with Craig's walk in the Gun Barrel sequence-I can't even describe how awkward it was then when he fires the gun you could not even see his face?!? My hope was the gun barrel scene would have been similar to CR-a opening fight scene then Bond fires his gun and it goes to the intro credits-I assumed the opening scene was the fight scene between 007 & M's bodyguard then the gun barrel-to my surprise it was not.

#22 eddychaput

eddychaput

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 04:12 AM

I saw it today (it just opened in Canada) and I'd say the reaction was half and half. The you can always tell the Bond fans from the casuals! The fans (like myself) remained seated and enjoyed the cool new gunbarrel. The other half of the room clearly didn't give a :( and started to leave. It was strange sight. rousing Bond music playing, the famous gunbarrel dots moving a long the screen and people putting on their coats with their backs to the screen...

#23 Se7en

Se7en

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 04:55 AM

I just got home from seeing it for the first time since it just opened today in the US. I really really like the gun barrel. It was good i thought. I like how it was at the end, especially for how the movie ended.

#24 Number Six

Number Six

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:34 AM

Zorin --

You'll be glad to know that I got a replacement ticket today after complaining to the management of the big mall theater where I viewed QoS.

One of the ushers came around with a flashlight telling people to not have their feet up right after Bond tells the Canadian intelligence girl to leave. The people in the middle of the row couldn't hear him and so he kept waving the flashlight and saying, "Hey, feet down! Hey, feet down!" while I tried to get their attention. When the ordeal was over, the gunbarrel was playing and I had to ask my wife what had happened at the end of the movie.

And guess what? Those people then put their feet down because THE MOVIE WAS OVER. Ridiculous.

#25 SecretAgent007

SecretAgent007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 05:30 PM

I went to a 5pm showing. Only about 20 people in the theater. And wouldn't you know, two people sat in front of us and got up when the gun barrel started, so my view was slightly blocked. I don't think it went over too well (the movie). To my surprise no one watched the gun barrel they all kept heading for the exit.

#26 eddychaput

eddychaput

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 05:44 PM

I went to a 5pm showing. Only about 20 people in the theater. And wouldn't you know, two people sat in front of us and got up when the gun barrel started, so my view was slightly blocked. I don't think it went over too well (the movie). To my surprise no one watched the gun barrel they all kept heading for the exit.

20 people? What the heck? I saw at at around noon time yesterday and it was practically full. There was a big lineup behind us when we bought our tickets even though it was playing on 4 screens (I think)! At 12pm!

Was it a small room?

#27 RedKelly

RedKelly

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 02:16 AM

No one stood up during the gunbarrel it was like everyone in the theatre knew it was at the end.

#28 sark

sark

Lieutenant

• Enlisting
  • PipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 02:29 AM

At the end of QOS Bond becomes 100% Bond we all know and the gunbarrel may be back at the beginning of Bond 23.

My interpretation exactly.

#29 Mister E

Mister E

Resigned

• Discharged
  • PipPipPip
  • 2160 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 03:43 AM

I think gun barrel feels like it's making fun of the thing. The audience laughed when they saw it.

#30 stamper

stamper

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2994 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 06:48 AM

I assumed the opening scene was the fight scene between 007 & M's bodyguard then the gun barrel-to my surprise it was not.

I'm sure it was intended that way, but scrapped by Foster in the editing suite due to his stupid idea of putting the gunbarrel at the end. That's where the 25mn opening rumors come from. It was the original chase, all the 11mn of it (now reduced to 3m20) + the interrogation scene (including probably as rumored some cut bits of Bond torturing White), then the Sienna chase on the rooftoop, leading to Bond firing on Mitchell / cut to the main credits. That must have been around 20mn of film.
The gunbarrel is another stupid artistic choice that ruins the experience of the film, both times I saw it, people stood up right before to exit, stopped on the way out to watch, then left. That's not a good way to enjoy a movie ending, both for them and the others who stays in their seats.