'SkyFall' Fan Art

1170 replies to this topic

#1111 BluffersBond

BluffersBond

Cadet

• Crew
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:47 PM

We'd love to hear your feedback on our cover art for the Bluffer's Guide to Bond http://bit.ly/RW8h58

It's been a long time in production, and not a few martini induced tears were shed in its making!

#1112 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:04 PM

I like the nod to For Your Eyes Only! I think the outline is Craig, yes?

#1113 DABOY

DABOY

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:44 AM

Something based on the new IMAX Poster

Posted Image

Edited by DABOY, 25 October 2012 - 12:44 AM.

#1114 Daniel_Craig

Daniel_Craig

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 98 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:12 PM

My version of the IMAX print:

Posted Image

Enjoy! ;)

HQ version available here: http://danielcraig1....t.com/#/d5im7tc

#1115 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:51 PM

Posted Image

#1116 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:24 PM

Posted Image

Enjoy! ;)

Have to say, this is amazing. I was out with some of the team last night for dinner, and we all loved this poster!

Where did you get the shot of the Aston from? Was that originally a Connery shot from Goldfinger?

#1117 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:14 PM

That's very ace indeed; like it an awful lot. Maybe the only one I've seen here which actually could work as a real movie poster.

I can't even quite work out what's been comped in. I think his head is, but can't be sure! Is that a real Craig pose?

#1118 levitator

levitator

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:05 PM

Absolutely brilliant !!!

#1119 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:05 PM

Love that! Wish it was official. Completely blows the Skyfall poster campaign out of the water!

Edited by DamnCoffee, 26 October 2012 - 02:06 PM.

#1120 Daniel_Craig

Daniel_Craig

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 98 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:00 PM

Posted Image

Enjoy! ;)

Have to say, this is amazing. I was out with some of the team last night for dinner, and we all loved this poster!

Where did you get the shot of the Aston from? Was that originally a Connery shot from Goldfinger?

Thank you! You´re welcome! ;) I am glad that you like the poster. :) The picture of Daniel and the Aston is a promo shot for Skyfall. I have revised accordingly. Daniels pose is also original. Only the background with Big Ben and the clouds has been revised. The art design just had to be in b / w. Color does not fit into this concept. I've been playing with the idea to have it printed this poster in A1. However, just for my own use. The PSD file contains the pulsar 'frame'. Until now, there is only pure spinning from me. It is ultimately about the money and what kind of paper can be printed. The poster is supposed to stay colorfast and do not fade.

That is the image that was used for the poster:

Posted Image

That's very ace indeed; like it an awful lot. Maybe the only one I've seen here which actually could work as a real movie poster.

I can't even quite work out what's been comped in. I think his head is, but can't be sure! Is that a real Craig pose?

You´re welcome! ;)

I like the teaser poster. The used Skyfall Posters I do not particularly like, so I create my own.

Daniels pose is real and comes from a promo shot, which I found by accident. This picture fits a classic Bond as Skyfall.

Looking forward to the preview on 31.10. . At 3.11. I'll see Skyfall in IMAX. That for me is the movie event of the year. :)

Absolutely brilliant !!!

THX! :) ;)

You´re welcome! ;)

Love that! Wish it was official. Completely blows the Skyfall poster campaign out of the water!

THX! :) You´re welcome, too! ;)

I do not understand why they have designed the most boring poster for Skyfall. Especially for a film with an excellent cast, and then also to the Bond 50th anniversary. :S

Edited by Daniel_Craig, 26 October 2012 - 07:02 PM.

#1121 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:32 AM

That's a great photo: I haven't seen that one before. I wonder why it's not everywhere! :)

#1122 Henry-Jones-Sr

Henry-Jones-Sr

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 173 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:22 AM

Given that it's the 50th anniversary, you'd think this would be a ripe opportunity for an incredibly lavish, spectacular hand-painted movie poster design, in the style of A View To A Kill's Golden Gate Bridge design, or the sumptuous Octopussy collage style. It's not like people will refuse to a see a James Bond movie just because the poster is hand-painted.

I'm absolutely sick of seeing movie posters for exciting films comprised almost entirely of really boring photos. And that goes for a lot of the fan art I've seen as well, I'm afraid to say, although there is the occasional gem which shows some imagination and flair.

#1123 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:00 PM

I'm absolutely sick of seeing movie posters for exciting films comprised almost entirely of really boring photos.

Posted Image

#1124 Henry-Jones-Sr

Henry-Jones-Sr

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 173 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:05 PM

That is not a movie poster comprised entirely of boring photos. Also, it has style, imagination, and flair.

I don't really see the point of your reply. It's got nothing to do with what I said.

Edited by Henry-Jones-Sr, 27 October 2012 - 06:06 PM.

#1125 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:43 PM

Maybe Marktmurphy read your comment as a blanket condemnation of the use of photography in posters, and was just trying to illustrate, in a withering and laconic manner, that a poster needn't be painted to be iconic and powerful. I agree with him, but I also agree that most recent uses of photography in Bond posters have been un-artistic to the point of philistine. They don't even bother to combine photographs. They just take one photo and slap some text and 007 branding on it. I've seen more flair and creativity on a box of detergent.

#1126 Henry-Jones-Sr

Henry-Jones-Sr

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 173 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:00 PM

Thanks, Pussfeller. Obviously I am not condemning all photography based movie posters because many of them are top of the pops - only the really boring ones. Nor was I saying that paintings are the only valid form of movie poster art.

I was just saying that the spectacular hand painted approach is a long and honourable tradition in Bond movie advertising - from Dr No to The Living Daylights - and is arguably the most famous and loved of the poster styles used in its 50 year history. Therefore, it would have been awesome to see someone like Dan Goozee let rip on Skyfall.

It would certainly be more welcome than yet another black and white photo of Daniel Craig looking like he's just been told he's got cancer.

#1127 Platapus94

Platapus94

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:32 PM

As Skyfall is going to be a Classic Bond film, why not give it a classic poster?

Posted Image

Going back a LONG way, this one is amazing! Well done! If only the film had been as 'classic Bond' as this!

#1128 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:08 PM

As Skyfall is going to be a Classic Bond film, why not give it a classic poster?

Posted Image

Going back a LONG way, this one is amazing! Well done! If only the film had been as 'classic Bond' as this!

Thank's Platapus94. Though I do feel Skyfall is a "classic Bond" film - if you can call a Bond film that is currently running at the cinema "Classic"

#1129 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:43 PM

That is not a movie poster comprised entirely of boring photos. Also, it has style, imagination, and flair.

I don't really see the point of your reply. It's got nothing to do with what I said.

It's entirely composed of a photo. Of a woman with her eyes shut. Whether it's boring or not is subjective: I'm making the point that a classic Bond poster doesn't have to be painted. It has everything to do with what you said: painting alone won't make a poster good.

Maybe Marktmurphy read your comment as a blanket condemnation of the use of photography in posters, and was just trying to illustrate, in a withering and laconic manner, that a poster needn't be painted to be iconic and powerful. I agree with him, but I also agree that most recent uses of photography in Bond posters have been un-artistic to the point of philistine. They don't even bother to combine photographs. They just take one photo and slap some text and 007 branding on it. I've seen more flair and creativity on a box of detergent.

The Goldfinger poster is only one photo. A photo of a girl with a projection onto her.

Thanks, Pussfeller. Obviously I am not condemning all photography based movie posters because many of them are top of the pops - only the really boring ones. Nor was I saying that paintings are the only valid form of movie poster art.

So your advice is not to make bad posters. What an amazing and useful insight! :)
Next you'll be telling the Government that the key to running a country is 'not to make bad decisions'- I'm sure they'll give a knighthood ;)

#1130 Henry-Jones-Sr

Henry-Jones-Sr

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 173 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:14 AM

Alright, children, settle down. I only made a simple point, followed by a simple suggestion.

The simple point was: All these posters with boring photos of Daniel Craig are really boring.

The simple suggestion was: It would be much more fun if, just for once, they did a really spectacular painting instead.

This whole thing with you dragging the Goldfinger poster into it is meaningless. Like I said, it has nothing whatsoever to do with what I originally said because it is a great poster. I was talking about boring posters. What you effectively said is "You are wrong about the boring Skyfall posters because this exciting Goldfinger poster is great!".

I am very much aware that Goldfinger is a photographic poster. However, you seem to keep missing the point over and over again. The key word is 'Boring'. I pointed out that it is not comprised of boring photos, but you missed the word 'boring' and seemed to be under the impression that I said it was not comprised of photos, full stop. And by the way, it is two photos. Just because one of them happens to be projected within the other doesn't mean it isn't.

Next you'll be telling me I'm wrong about Adele's 'Skyfall' being bland and tuneless because Shirley Bassey's 'Goldfinger' is really catchy!

Edited by Henry-Jones-Sr, 29 October 2012 - 09:52 AM.

#1131 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:46 AM

Driving down a main road in Germany, passing by the "prom night" poster I must admit: it gets the job done. Strangely, not everybody is familiar with every previous Bond poster and therefore disappointed with the new one. But really, just driving by, I thought: hey, a new Bond film with Daniel Craig. And that´s what this poster achieves. Judging from the early box office results, the marketing has absolutely achieved its goal.

And yes, I have bought the "prom night" poster and will hang it on my wall. That´s how crazy I am.

#1132 Henry-Jones-Sr

Henry-Jones-Sr

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 173 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:58 AM

That's a fair point, SecretAgentFan, but what your describing is a James Bond poster acting as functional promotional material. The reason we're all getting so wound up is that the Bond posters used to be not just functional promotional material, but great art, too. So great, in fact, that expensive hardback books full of the stuff are still being published.

My argument is: why can't it still be both functional and great art?

#1133 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:01 AM

It can and it has been before. Just not this time.

But that´s a general problem with film posters these days, I believe. What was the last poster (non-Bond) that really made me feel it was special? I actually cannot remember.

#1134 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:04 AM

Alright, children, settle down. I only made a simple point, followed by a simple suggestion.

The simple point was: All these posters with boring photos of Daniel Craig are really boring.

The simple suggestion was: It would be much more fun if, just for once, they did a really spectacular painting instead.

This whole thing with you dragging the Goldfinger poster into it is meaningless. Like I said, it has nothing whatsoever to do with what I originally said because it is a great poster. I was talking about boring posters. What you effectively said is "You are wrong about the boring Skyfall posters because this exciting Goldfinger poster is great!".

I am very much aware that Goldfinger is a photographic poster. However, you seem to keep missing the point over and over again. The key word is 'Boring'. I pointed out that it is not comprised of boring photos, but you missed the word 'boring' and seemed to be under the impression that I said it was not comprised of photos, full stop. And by the way, it is two photos. Just because one of them happens to be projected within the other doesn't mean it isn't.

Next you'll be telling me I'm wrong about Adele's 'Skyfall' being bland and tuneless because Shirley Bassey's 'Goldfinger' is really catchy!

And I think, child, you missed the point of my post. Anything can be called 'boring': it's entirely subjective. A stylish photo to one person is a boring photo of a golden woman with her eyes shut to another. How is the Goldfinger poster 'spectacular'? Could well be crap if it were a painting. Using a painting is no guarantee of quality, and someone else could well label it 'boring'.

Your observation that they should do good posters isn't really very groundbreaking. Believe it or not I think the idea had occurred to them too.

#1135 Henry-Jones-Sr

Henry-Jones-Sr

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 173 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:18 AM

I didn't miss the point of your post. It's just that you have nothing constructive to say. Ultimately, you are saying "why offer an opinion when others will disagree?"

If you're uncomfortable with someone discussing his views on James Bond posters on a James Bond Fan Art message board on a James Bond website, then why are you here?

One man's "withering and laconic" is another man's "pedantic and humourless".

Edited by Henry-Jones-Sr, 29 October 2012 - 10:20 AM.

#1136 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:33 AM

I didn't miss the point of your post. It's just that you have nothing constructive to say. Ultimately, you are saying "why offer an opinion when others will disagree?"

Right backatcha. How is 'they shouldn't do boring posters' constructive? Especially when you're saying that one of the posters, which doesn't include any 'spectacular' images, is 'stylish', 'imaginative' and with 'flair'.

You're ultimately saying that they shouldn't do photographic posters because they're boring, except when they're really exciting and stylish. A pointless observation as it contains no information. 'Good things are best': brilliant.

Please don't try and paint me as trying to shut down conversation- I was just pointing out how there's nothing really in your statement.

#1137 Henry-Jones-Sr

Henry-Jones-Sr

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 173 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:57 AM

I never said photographic posters are boring. I was talking about how the contemporary approach to posters - which also happens to be almost exclusively photographic - are relentlessly unimaginative and dull. I suggested an alternative approach, that paintings are so rare these days that to use one would be genuinely fresh, and mentioned a specific poster artist with a track record of great designs.

All pretty straightforward, really. This thread isn't called Serious Suggestions To Revolutionise Movie Poster Artwork.

Presumably then, whenever you watch an advert on TV and think "that was irritating", or eat a pasty that didn't have any taste, you sit down and write an essay qualifying your views.

Edited by Henry-Jones-Sr, 29 October 2012 - 10:59 AM.

#1138 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:01 AM

What's a pasty?

#1139 Henry-Jones-Sr

Henry-Jones-Sr

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 173 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:15 AM

A pasty is the nemesis of our Prime Minister.

#1140 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:20 AM

I never said photographic posters are boring. I was talking about how the contemporary approach to posters - which also happens to be almost exclusively photographic - are relentlessly unimaginative and dull. I suggested an alternative approach, that paintings are so rare these days that to use one would be genuinely fresh, and mentioned a specific poster artist with a track record of great designs.

All pretty straightforward, really. This thread isn't called Serious Suggestions To Revolutionise Movie Poster Artwork.

Presumably then, whenever you watch an advert on TV and think "that was irritating", or eat a pasty that didn't have any taste, you sit down and write an essay qualifying your views.

I feel you both are not really disagreeing here, you only come from different perspectives. Henry makes his point very thoroughly, and IMO his is right: film posters today have lost their creativity (yes, a general statement with exceptions, of course). And marktmurphy rightfully claims that paintings would not change anything, just being paintings.

Let me add this: in today´s marketplace, painted film posters are considered (unfortunately) old-fashioned and old-school, too much so for being a way to promote something to the youth audience.

That´s a shame and maybe it will change at some point again.

As to the "Goldfinger" poster: I do think it is done in a very creative way, even if it is not a painting. The golden girl on which Bond and the Bond girl are projected not only refers to the title sequence but achieves an artistic collage that signifies shock (the gold-painted, dead woman) and our hero, protecting another woman.

Good stuff!

Edited by SecretAgentFan, 29 October 2012 - 11:21 AM.