• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 05:30 PM

The Young Bond Dossier lands a scoop

Plus, Charlie Higson signing at The Fleming Collection on 17 November

Posted Image
New prize drawing to mark the release of 'By Royal Command' paperback

I have the cover art for the By Royal Command UK paperback. It's a beauty. Working it up on my site now. Stand by...

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 06:07 PM

HERE WE GO :(

#3 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 06:21 PM

Very different - I like it. Very interested to see it in the flesh.

Bring on the Limited Collector's Edition!

#4 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 06:24 PM

It's funny, but it's almost exactly what I imagined it would be (image-wise, not color). Note in my article that the silver areas will be finished in foil.

#5 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 06:25 PM

It's lovely. Wish it would come out sooner!

#6 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 06:34 PM

It's funny, but it's almost exactly what I imagined it would be (image-wise, not color). Note in my article that the silver areas will be finished in foil.

I did imagine something similar (the wavy flag effect), but it's more ...photographic... than I anticipated. Still, I like!

#7 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 08:15 PM

Wow. Very, very pleased with this cover. Definitely one of the best in the series so far, I'd say.

#8 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 08:32 PM

The YB covers have all been standouts. But, if I had my way, I would like them to redo SilverFin and DOD. I like the forest of eels on SilverFin, but I'd like them to be less abstract and more realistic, like the mosquito or gator on the other covers. Also, I'd love some kind of a gambling motif on DOD. Maybe a roulette wheel with skull and bone numbers. Just something that hits the games/gambling aspect of the book.

#9 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 01:38 AM

Wow, what a brilliant cover we have here. The silver looks brilliant - I didn't want another black paperback cover, because Blood Fever holds that mantle. The silver is going to look fantastic against HG.

#10 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 05:41 PM

The are going to look brilliant as a set. I'm hoping we will see a nice box set of all paperbacks at some point.

#11 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 06:37 PM

The YB covers have all been standouts. But, if I had my way, I would like them to redo SilverFin and DOD. I like the forest of eels on SilverFin, but I'd like them to be less abstract and more realistic, like the mosquito or gator on the other covers. Also, I'd love some kind of a gambling motif on DOD. Maybe a roulette wheel with skull and bone numbers. Just something that hits the games/gambling aspect of the book.

Double or Die definitely strikes me as the odd cover out, and I was pretty unimpressed when it was first revealed, but I've kinda warmed to it. It's still an unusual cover (why that pinkish-red colour?), but I've developed a weird fondness for it. My favourite is still probably Blood Fever, though. I also like SilverFin's eel motif.

#12 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 06:50 PM

I suspect the DOD cover was designed to work with any of the titles from the poll. It's my least favorite, but I've also warmed to it. The skull and crossbones is a strong image that worked well in promotions. But I thought the German cover art was much better. But maybe too subtle for a kids book?

It would be awesome to one day see some of the rejected concepts, etc.

#13 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 09:34 PM

Was it ever confirmed that there was just the one cover for all three title contenders for the third book?

#14 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 10:14 PM

Was it ever confirmed that there was just the one cover for all three title contenders for the third book?

I had heard at some point that there was different art for each title (I think I even did a story on it), but now I think that was a misunderstanding. I think the only difference was the title logo itself. In fact, check out this early unused poll/proof art. Pretty much confirms the cover was always going to be the skull and bones.

I was just making room for my Final Fling paperback on the shelf and it struck me how good the Moneypenny paperbacks look lined up with the YB paperbacks.

#15 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 10:34 PM

Are the Moneypenny paperbacks the same size as the Young Bond books? I only ever bought the hardbacks. I'd definitely shell out if they re-released The Moneypenny Diaries: Guardian Angel with matching artwork.

#16 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 11:16 PM

Yes, they are exactly the same size tall.

#17 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 11:23 PM

That's a truly wonderful cover.

BTW, having had Higson on the backburner for a long while, I'm reading BLOODFEVER and really enjoying it (the only other Young Bond I've read is SILVERFIN, which if memory serves I read on the day it was published).

Well-written, exciting and strangely moving, with some very cool Fleming touches, some of them very subtle and a real reward for those of us who know the Fleming books as well as Higson evidently does. I may be turning into a Young Bond fan at long last.

#18 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 02:09 AM

The Young Bond Dossier lands a scoop

#19 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 02:47 AM

One big paperback collection in the future would look very slick.

I was just making room for my Final Fling paperback on the shelf and it struck me how good the Moneypenny paperbacks look lined up with the YB paperbacks.

Just noticed that the other day myself by pure chance while trying to move some stuff around.

#20 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 03:53 PM

BTW, having had Higson on the backburner for a long while, I'm reading BLOODFEVER and really enjoying it (the only other Young Bond I've read is SILVERFIN, which if memory serves I read on the day it was published).

Well-written, exciting and strangely moving, with some very cool Fleming touches, some of them very subtle and a real reward for those of us who know the Fleming books as well as Higson evidently does. I may be turning into a Young Bond fan at long last.

Good to hear, Loomis. Blood Fever is the book that turned me. :(

#21 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 04:26 PM

Do let us know your thoughts when you finish. Are you planning on continuing with the Higson books after you finish Blood Fever? I suspect you'll rather enjoy Double or Die.

#22 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 05:11 PM

Yes, I'll definitely be reading all the Higsons, but I've got quite a number of Bond books in the queue before I'll get to polish them off.

Talking of which, perusing my local Waterstones today, I was stunned to find paperback copies of DEVIL MAY CARE. Stunned because I was under the impression that it wasn't going to come out in paperback in this country till next May or thereabouts. Bought a copy, obviously - I'm hoping it'll read better in paperback.

#23 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 05:14 PM

Yes, I'll definitely be reading all the Higsons, but I've got quite a number of Bond books in the queue before I'll get to polish them off.

Talking of which, perusing my local Waterstones today, I was stunned to find paperback copies of DEVIL MAY CARE. Stunned because I was under the impression that it wasn't going to come out in paperback in this country till next May or thereabouts. Bought a copy, obviously - I'm hoping it'll read better in paperback.

What?

Tell me, is it a trade size with the same cover art as the hardcover? If so, that's the International trade paperback which was released the same day as the hardcover (odd to find one in a UK store).

#24 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 05:20 PM

What?

Tell me, is it a trade size with the same cover art as the hardcover? If so, that's the International trade paperback which was released the same day as the hardcover (odd to find one in a UK store).

Yep, that's the one. It did cross my mind that it might be a trade paperback, but, as you know, you only tend to get them in airports and the like (as far as I'm aware, anyway). Like I say, very surprised to see it in a bookshop in Middle England. They had a whole stack of them, though.

#25 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 05:25 PM

I'm hoping it'll read better in paperback.

It won't :(.

#26 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 03:18 AM

I'm reading BLOODFEVER and really enjoying it (the only other Young Bond I've read is SILVERFIN, which if memory serves I read on the day it was published).

Good to hear. Blood Fever is my personal favourite of the series, and it is followed by a truly exceptional entry in Double or Die. Keep reading. :(

#27 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 06:35 PM

Plus, Charlie Higson signing at The Fleming Collection on 17 November

#28 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 06:39 PM

Whoa! I didn't know about this Fleming Collection signing. Thanks.

#29 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 10:36 PM

Amazon.co.uk now have up the new paperback cover for By Royal Command which is avalible for pre-order. I think it looks great if thats the cover they are going to go with.

http://www.amazon.co...n...1379&sr=8-6

#30 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 11:13 PM

Thanks for the info, DAN. We actually covered this a little while back - I've merged the two threads.

Agreed - the cover art is pretty sweet.