#31 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 12:04 PM

It was his name.

Bond turns round and says that Mathis wasn't a very good codename purely because it was his real name.

That was my impression too. Have to watch again to be sure,though...

I'm not sure about that... If so, why use "codename", instead of "cover name" or "alias"? And it would make better sense if Bond simply told him "Mathis wasn't a very good codename", without first asking him IF Mathis is a codename. Wouldn'it?

#32 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 12:13 PM

I thought that the exact dialogue was "cover name". Everyone else seems not to agree however. Anyone got a better memory than me who can clear it up?!

#33 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 12:16 PM

I remember "code name", but I could be mistaken.

#34 cramer

cramer

Recruit

• Crew
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 03:15 AM

It was his name.

Bond turns round and says that Mathis wasn't a very good codename purely because it was his real name.

This was how I took it - that when checking into hotels, etc., Mathis uses his own name as his working name. It's something Bond also does, of course, and it's just begging for attention. We know the organisation are aware of Mathis thanks to LeChiffre's comment about him.

It tells us, just quickly, how Mathis was able to be located and captured so quickly after their arrival.

That's what I understood (and that's why we have no "Bond, James Bond" in this film).

Look, they did think it through, y'know.

What do you mean "That's why we have no "Bond, James Bond"" Why is it that they don't have it?

Edited by cramer, 17 November 2008 - 03:32 AM.

#35 Bucky

Bucky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 03:43 AM

because bond isnt gonna be as arrogant going around saying who he is after seeing what happened to mathis who didnt use a false name.

#36 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 07:41 AM

It was his name.

This was how I took it - that when checking into hotels, etc., Mathis uses his own name as his working name. It's something Bond also does, of course, and it's just begging for attention. We know the organisation are aware of Mathis thanks to LeChiffre's comment about him.

It tells us, just quickly, how Mathis was able to be located and captured so quickly after their arrival.

I saw Mathis being captured differently. His contact was the Bolivian police colonel who, it turned out, was in league with Gen. Medrano. I just figured that during or after the party that the police colonel had his men arrest Mathis and then "kill" him to set Bond up.

It certainly is easier and makes more sense to do it that way than to spend time tracking down Mathis' hotel and then capturing there. Rather, it would be pretty simple for the police colonel to lure Mathis outside or to his police station on some supposedly recently uncovered information on Greene/Quantum in order to capture him.

#37 Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:21 AM

It was his name.

That was my impression too. Have to watch again to be sure,though...

I'm not sure about that... If so, why use "codename", instead of "cover name" or "alias"? And it would make better sense if Bond simply told him "Mathis wasn't a very good codename", without first asking him IF Mathis is a codename. Wouldn'it?

I suppose Bond remarked on the quality of Mathis's codename for a lot of reasons... one of them perhaps being that such a quintessentially Italian character has a French cover name.

#38 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 11:53 AM

I suppose Bond remarked on the quality of Mathis's codename for a lot of reasons... one of them perhaps being that such a quintessentially Italian character has a French cover name.

:(
Good point! For the record, I have a Czech friend whose first name is "René", it's also a male firstname in Czech Republic. But not in Italy as far as I know, you're right! :) (the equivalent would be "Renato", I suppose)