237 replies to this topic

#121 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 02:18 AM

A third film is not happening. Certainly it won't be out next year, if ever.

#122 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 02:24 AM

Sadly, I'd have to agree. It did seem like, at least for a minute or so last year that it might actually happen, but it's pretty much a done deal now that it won't be. As crushed as I am that it's not ever going to make it to the big screen, perhaps it's for the best considering the same creative team behind Year One was being tasked with creating an original story designed to introduce a new generation of Ghostbusters.

#123 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 04:48 AM

Sadly, I'd have to agree. It did seem like, at least for a minute or so last year that it might actually happen, but it's pretty much a done deal now that it won't be. As crushed as I am that it's not ever going to make it to the big screen, perhaps it's for the best considering the same creative team behind Year One was being tasked with creating an original story designed to introduce a new generation of Ghostbusters.

I had faith in Akroyd's words that the writers had finally come up with a satisfying, fresh script that would please everyone (or at least, almost everyone), but none of that matters if Murray can't bring himself to sign off on it. No Murray, no Ghostbusters.

#124 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 08:26 AM

The second film is very underrated.

Very.

#125 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 12:58 PM

I have a certain level of fondness for it, because I watched it a lot as a kid. It does have a pretty decent plot, and Vigo and whatever Peter McNicholl's character is called make good villians. But it's one of those films where you suspect there was at least one committee meeting before each scene was shot, and as a comedy, well, it simply isn't funny.

As for Ghostbusters III, don't count on it.

#126 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 03:31 PM

I really enjoy the second film as well, and would even put it on par with the first. That might be due to some kind of a nostalgia factor, though, as Ghostbusters II will always be kind of a special movie for me as it's the first film that I remember seeing in the theater. While it's a shame that Ghostbusters III won't be happening, I can't say that I'm at all surprised. After getting my hopes up every few years when they tried to get this thing kickstarted, I've reached a point that even a greenlight by the studio doesn't really mean anything to me anymore regarding this project. I'll believe the rumors on this one when a trailer actually arrives for it, and even then I'll still think it's probably a joke.

#127 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 04:10 PM

I really enjoy the second film as well, and would even put it on par with the first. That might be due to some kind of a nostalgia factor, though, as Ghostbusters II will always be kind of a special movie for me as it's the first film that I remember seeing in the theater.

I'm in the same boat, t. I never saw "Ghostbusters 2" theaters, but I'm certain I saw it before the original film, and I have a bit of an affinity for it.

Although I'm sure "GB3" will never happen, I would be satisfied if the script for it, or even the script for the abandoned "Hellbent" project from the mid-90s, surfaced online.

#128 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 04:28 PM

I really enjoy the second film as well, and would even put it on par with the first. That might be due to some kind of a nostalgia factor, though, as Ghostbusters II will always be kind of a special movie for me as it's the first film that I remember seeing in the theater.

I'm in the same boat, t. I never saw "Ghostbusters 2" theaters, but I'm certain I saw it before the original film, and I have a bit of an affinity for it.

Although I'm sure "GB3" will never happen, I would be satisfied if the script for it, or even the script for the abandoned "Hellbent" project from the mid-90s, surfaced online.

I'd love to see the "Hellbent" script as well. That sounded like a truly unique project that would have made for a fantastic third film.

#129 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 05:38 PM

I really enjoy the second film as well, and would even put it on par with the first. That might be due to some kind of a nostalgia factor, though, as Ghostbusters II will always be kind of a special movie for me as it's the first film that I remember seeing in the theater. While it's a shame that Ghostbusters III won't be happening, I can't say that I'm at all surprised. After getting my hopes up every few years when they tried to get this thing kickstarted, I've reached a point that even a greenlight by the studio doesn't really mean anything to me anymore regarding this project. I'll believe the rumors on this one when a trailer actually arrives for it, and even then I'll still think it's probably a joke.

Yeah, I'm starting to believe the same thing. If a trailer comes out, then I will believe it for sure. But as of now, IMDb is known to put things up and then take them down once nothing is happening. For example, they had information on Jurassic Park IV, but since that's not not going to happen, they took it down. So, most likely the same is going to happen with Ghostbusters III. I mean, already with a 2012 release date and nothing is in the works, most likely it was just something to get our hopes up with. I mean, the actors are all pretty much old now. I mean, the guy that played Egon has gotten really out of shape. But, if it does happen, then I will be thrilled. If not, at least the information was out there for a possibility.

According to IMDb, Sigoureny Weaver let slip that Bill Murray would play a ghost in the film. But, this is all merely speculation. Anyway, I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens...or what doesn't happen.

As for Ghostbusters II, I had a birthday party back in 1990 that had the car come and two look-a-likes host the party. It was fun haha! I got a proton pack and one of the dudes dressed up as Stay Puft and he would slowly melt to the ground as I would shoot him with the pack. Hahaha, fun times!

Edited by iBond, 12 June 2011 - 05:38 PM.

#130 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 05:43 PM

I don't think that it was done simply to get everyone's hopes up. Judging from the history of the project, this was probably the closest it's ever come to actually happening. It seems like everyone other than Bill Murray is on board for this. There actually is a completed script that has apparently been approved by most of the people involved, the studio apparently gave it the go ahead, and Reitman was said to be back to direct. This is just my take from reading all of the articles about the film in the last year or so, but it really does seem like there are only a couple of things holding it up at this point.

#131 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:27 AM

I don't think that it was done simply to get everyone's hopes up. Judging from the history of the project, this was probably the closest it's ever come to actually happening. It seems like everyone other than Bill Murray is on board for this. There actually is a completed script that has apparently been approved by most of the people involved, the studio apparently gave it the go ahead, and Reitman was said to be back to direct. This is just my take from reading all of the articles about the film in the last year or so, but it really does seem like there are only a couple of things holding it up at this point.

I get the same impression. It has widely been reported that the script has been sent to Murray but he hasn´t read it yet. He even confirmed it on a talk show (was it Letterman?).

Personally, I think this is pretty bad form by Murray. If he is not interested then he just should say so. But delaying to read this and even making fun of this is just a "powerful actor-idiocy".

And although I love Murray´s work - and he´s clearly the major attraction in the "Ghostbusters"-ensemble - I would urge the studio to move on without him. The whole film won´t be just about the original gang anyway. Beef up Ayckroyd´s role - or get Chevy Chase in there.

#132 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 02:48 PM

I have a certain level of fondness for it, because I watched it a lot as a kid. It does have a pretty decent plot, and Vigo and whatever Peter McNicholl's character is called make good villians.

Dr. Janosz Poha.

And I loved the second film. I loved both of them (*cough* once I grew a spine and was able to sit through the movies without getting scared *cough*). As for a 3rd film, it's IMDB, so of course it's lying, but one can only hope.

#133 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:29 PM

I get the same impression. It has widely been reported that the script has been sent to Murray but he hasn´t read it yet. He even confirmed it on a talk show (was it Letterman?).

Personally, I think this is pretty bad form by Murray. If he is not interested then he just should say so. But delaying to read this and even making fun of this is just a "powerful actor-idiocy".

And although I love Murray´s work - and he´s clearly the major attraction in the "Ghostbusters"-ensemble - I would urge the studio to move on without him. The whole film won´t be just about the original gang anyway. Beef up Ayckroyd´s role - or get Chevy Chase in there.

Yeah, I'm unclear as to why Murray is delaying so much. I mean, he's just going to get older and older it's not like time stands still. So, even though he is funny and a great addition to the cast, he should at least make a small cameo to make the fans happy. I'm sure people would be pleased to see him as Venkman no matter how long the scene is. I would be! Well...I take that back, I do hope that it's longer than just a cameo hehe! But still. Hah, I remember that small scene in Casper with Dan Akroyd running out of the house saying, "Who ya gonna call? Someone else..." lol That was a funny bit. But yeah, I do hope Murray decides what to do soon. As for the IMDb, he is already confirmed to be in it, and as I said earlier, Weaver mentioned that he might play a ghost or something...I have no idea.

#134 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:33 PM

Ghostbusters 3 in 2013

This appears to be the first legitimate announcement from Sony regarding the release of the third film. However, the phrasing appears to indicate that it will be a reboot rather than a sequel. :tdown: :tdown:

#135 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:38 PM

Ghostbusters 3 in 2013

This appears to be the first legitimate announcement from Sony regarding the release of the third film. However, the phrasing appears to indicate that it will be a reboot rather than a sequel. :tdown: :tdown:

That phrasing gave me some serious pause as well, but given that the idea in the current script was to have the old crew hand over the reigns to the new crew in the film, it's still possible that they go that direction, as it would be something of a "relaunch". That's what I'm hoping for, as a GB III without at least some of the originals isn't going to excite me one bit, especially if they decide to cast the film with current SNL cast members, as has been discussed quite a bit.

#136 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:48 PM

given that the idea in the current script was to have the old crew hand over the reigns to the new crew in the film, it's still possible that they go that direction, as it would be something of a "relaunch". That's what I'm hoping for, as a GB III without at least some of the originals isn't going to excite me one bit

Good point. Hopefully, if the original cast's roles are only minimal, Bill Murray can be persuaded to finally give in and make an appearance. :tup:

#137 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:53 PM

given that the idea in the current script was to have the old crew hand over the reigns to the new crew in the film, it's still possible that they go that direction, as it would be something of a "relaunch". That's what I'm hoping for, as a GB III without at least some of the originals isn't going to excite me one bit

Good point. Hopefully, if the original cast's roles are only minimal, Bill Murray can be persuaded to finally give in and make an appearance. :tup:

That's at least the hope I'm going to cling to. ;) :)

I really don't have much interest in a GB III without the original crew, no matter how old they've gotten since GB II. I could deal with them not even including Murray as long as they're able to get Aykroyd, Ramos, and Hudson back, which it sounds like all three are willing to come back. I might be able to get some excitement going for it if they cast the new recruits well, but I have my doubts regarding the studio's ability to pull that off.

#138 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:33 PM

Hey, if they never get around to making a film, they should at least do a Ghostbusters Christmas Reunion. :D

#139 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:35 AM

If they re-boot it with younger actors I hope it won´t be with twenty-somethings.

But I definitely would watch a "Ghostbusters" with Steve Carell, Will Ferrell and Chris Rock.

#140 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 02:32 PM

We already have a thread on this: Ghostbusters III

#141 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:23 PM

Well, it was from some time ago. And I wasn't going to search that far back. But thanks for the heads up.

#142 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:36 PM

Well, it was from some time ago. And I wasn't going to search that far back. But thanks for the heads up.

Are you serious? Is late-2010 really "some time ago"? I've been here since 2003. Now that's some time ago.

#143 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:12 PM

If it's a reboot with the original cast still in the film, servings as mentors that'll be totally fine by me. If it's a sort of start from scratch approach, I don't think I could appropriately verbalize my disdain.

#144 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:57 PM

Are you serious? Is late-2010 really "some time ago"? I've been here since 2003. Now that's some time ago.

Hahaha! How time flies...

#145 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:22 AM

It is good message board etiquette to search out threads on subjects you are interested in discussing. It keeps the clutter down that way.

#146 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 04:40 PM

But I definitely would watch a "Ghostbusters" with Steve Carell, Will Ferrell and Chris Rock.

Never thought I'd be saying this, but I probably would too.

#147 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 11:11 PM

Ghostbusters 3 in 2013

If that's the case, why make it "3"? They might as well just call it Ghostbusters, or The Ghostbusters. Who knows. Yeah, I'm starting to figure that it's not going to happen afterall. I mean, people did say the same thing about Indiana Jones 4 and how it was unlikely that it would ever happen, so who knows...but at this rate, I doubt it.

#148 00 Brosnan

00 Brosnan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 04:25 AM

GBIII could have been released a decade ago if Bill Murray wanted to do it. The project has basically been hung up b/c of him. At this point a reboot is more likely than a GBIII. Murray obviously doesn't want to do it that badly.

#149 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:23 PM

Never thought I'd be saying this, but I probably would too.

Hmm...let's just hope the whole thing isn't all one big humor bash. I liked the first two films because they incorporated humor along with suspense.

#150 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:40 PM

If Bill Murray says no and does something like shredding the script and mailing back to Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis...then we KNOW this movie WAS going to be VERY, VERY bad!! I say just do another video game in the spirit (no pun intended..lol!) of the Ghostbusters game that came out in '09..that would more than satisfy me in lieu of trying to put out a crappy 3rd film in which some young, snot-nosed little brats get handed over the Proton Packs..

http://jack.radio.co...sters-3-script/