83 replies to this topic

#31 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 04:56 AM

Someone once said there's a good movie hidden in there. Had they not actually gone into space, and had laser guns at the end it would be remembered better.

I sometimes think that some sort of conclusion with Bond chasing Drax through the Amazon, with Jaws remaining a bad guy, may have been very interesting. This could potentially involve 007 preventing the shuttles from ever being launched and then finally putting an end to Drax's evil schemes.

#32 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 05:45 AM

Someone once said there's a good movie hidden in there. Had they not actually gone into space, and had laser guns at the end it would be remembered better.

I sometimes think that some sort of conclusion with Bond chasing Drax through the Amazon, with Jaws remaining a bad guy, may have been very interesting. This could potentially involve 007 preventing the shuttles from ever being launched and then finally putting an end to Drax's evil schemes.

Yep, I think that should have happened. The jungle Aztec lair would have been ideal for this showdown. They could have done it in a manner similar to YOLT, where Bond and co. are heading off to space, but it never eventuates. I know it is light-hearted, but the laser guns just pushed it too far.

#33 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 07:06 AM

It's been fun seeing Moonraker's reevaluation in recent years. It's the film that made me the hardcore Bond fan I am today after seeing it on a beautiful summer afternoon almost 30 years ago.

It was only a few years later people took to slamming MR in books such as James Bond in the Cinema and The James Bond Films. It wasn't good for you we were led to believe.

Yes, it was very much a case of everyone enjoying Moonraker until the Bond "experts" started telling them they shouldn't.

That said, I think there was a genuine concern in the months that followed MR's release that it had reached the outermost edge of absurdity and, as it's always thought every Bond should top the last, none of us knew just where FYEO would end up! And I have been guilty over the years of not rating Moonraker highly, although it was never my least-favourite Bond. But I've come to appreciate it more and more, funnily enough since CR. I love CR and adore Danny Craig in the role. But since the shift in gears, MR seems the prime example of another Bond-age. It was another era, part of my teenage years, and the kind of Bond film they may never make again. That, allied to the fact that in Moonraker, everyone was on top of his/her game production-wise following the success of TSWLM now makes it seem a very special moment in Bond history. Moonraker has aged possibly better than any other 70s Bond film. It still looks/sounds marvellous.

#34 baerrtt

baerrtt

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 467 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 11:51 AM

It's been fun seeing Moonraker's reevaluation in recent years. It's the film that made me the hardcore Bond fan I am today after seeing it on a beautiful summer afternoon almost 30 years ago.

It was only a few years later people took to slamming MR in books such as James Bond in the Cinema and The James Bond Films. It wasn't good for you we were led to believe.

Yes, it was very much a case of everyone enjoying Moonraker until the Bond "experts" started telling them they shouldn't.

That said, I think there was a genuine concern in the months that followed MR's release that it had reached the outermost edge of absurdity and, as it's always thought every Bond should top the last, none of us knew just where FYEO would end up! And I have been guilty over the years of not rating Moonraker highly, although it was never my least-favourite Bond. But I've come to appreciate it more and more, funnily enough since CR. I love CR and adore Danny Craig in the role. But since the shift in gears, MR seems the prime example of another Bond-age. It was another era, part of my teenage years, and the kind of Bond film they may never make again. That, allied to the fact that in Moonraker, everyone was on top of his/her game production-wise following the success of TSWLM now makes it seem a very special moment in Bond history. Moonraker has aged possibly better than any other 70s Bond film. It still looks/sounds marvellous.

I once defended MOONRAKER on the grounds that if you put it next to CR for example you only begin to realise how lucky we are to have the one character/franchise in movie history (Batman aside) that is completely chameleonic. Fun, gritty, realistic, absurd and sometimes as MR's best scenes bring to light (Corrinne's death) all wrapped into one entry.

There's always a section of fandom (any fandom) who bemoan 'camp'(to be honest some of these fans have a problem with humour period) in their beloved obsessions and the nonsense that MR was the nadir of the Bond franchise was something spread in fan circles (certainly not critics who I recall reviewed the film very well on release)only. Characters like James Bond, Batman or Doctor Who have and will last because their adventures can be painted in absolutely any brush. I just wish fans (whether they're moaning about OOT-ness or equally those dullards who who think that gritty Bond is an oxymoron)would sometimes get perspective.

#35 avl

avl

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 01:14 PM

MR was the perfect Bond film when I was 10 and saw it in the Torquay Odeon with my parents, and I still love it.

#36 MooreisMore

MooreisMore

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 05:36 PM

The best title song of the franchise. SORELY underrated.

#37 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 01:32 AM

I once defended MOONRAKER on the grounds that if you put it next to CR for example you only begin to realise how lucky we are to have the one character/franchise in movie history (Batman aside) that is completely chameleonic. Fun, gritty, realistic, absurd and sometimes as MR's best scenes bring to light (Corrinne's death) all wrapped into one entry.

There's always a section of fandom (any fandom) who bemoan 'camp'(to be honest some of these fans have a problem with humour period) in their beloved obsessions and the nonsense that MR was the nadir of the Bond franchise was something spread in fan circles (certainly not critics who I recall reviewed the film very well on release)only. Characters like James Bond, Batman or Doctor Who have and will last because their adventures can be painted in absolutely any brush. I just wish fans (whether they're moaning about OOT-ness or equally those dullards who who think that gritty Bond is an oxymoron)would sometimes get perspective.

Nicely put. It is nice to have a series where you can enjoy a MR along with the more serious films. As much as I like and respect the Bourne series, that's something it can't really claim.

#38 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 01:54 AM

The best title song of the franchise. SORELY underrated.

Refreshing to find someone else who ranks it as #1 when it comes to the Bond songs. :(

#39 ChrissBond007

ChrissBond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1552 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 03:38 PM

Last time, I ranked Moonraker from #16 to #11 in my top 21 Bondfilms and probably my my third favourite Moore Bondfilm. This was one of the first Bondmovies I saw, the first time I loved it, now I have saw some better ones, but still it's very good.

I also love the locations in Moonraker, great music and of course my favourite henchman Jaws (altrough I did like the character more in TSWLM). I personally on't hate the space scenes at all, I actually like some moments there.

Overall, Moonraker is a very good Bondfilm with some meborable moments, it's underrated.

Edited by ChrissBond007, 13 September 2008 - 03:39 PM.

#40 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 11:04 AM

I really do enjoy Basseys Bond Songs. Moonraker is no exception.

#41 MooreisMore

MooreisMore

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 01:36 PM

I much prefer it to the VERY bland FYEO.

#42 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 01:48 PM

As do I. If I had to pick only three Moore films, it'd be Spy, Moonraker and Octopussy.

#43 trevanian

trevanian

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 355 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 02:26 PM

I guess I'm the only one who thought this thread was going to be about MR's cut scenes. The only one i know of is the zero gee sex room where all of the khanlike genetic superpretties were going to mate.

There have been stills published of the set, but the thing that most intrigues me about it is the passage in the novelization by Wood, which has a really poetic description of Bond seeing a naked girl smile at him while doing a zero gee back flip, and how for a moment he forgot he was a killer whose job was to destroy things.

Don't know how Moore could have played that, but Dalton could have done wonders with it.

#44 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 03:12 PM

I guess I'm the only one who thought this thread was going to be about MR's cut scenes. The only one i know of is the zero gee sex room where all of the khanlike genetic superpretties were going to mate.

There have been stills published of the set, but the thing that most intrigues me about it is the passage in the novelization by Wood, which has a really poetic description of Bond seeing a naked girl smile at him while doing a zero gee back flip, and how for a moment he forgot he was a killer whose job was to destroy things.

Don't know how Moore could have played that, but Dalton could have done wonders with it.

I think Moore would have given that raised eyebrow, similar to the reaction while in bed with Magda when she tells him her tattoo is "my little octopussy." I just can't picture Dalton and that type of scene or in anything to do with MR.

#45 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 09:38 PM

As do I. If I had to pick only three Moore films, it'd be Spy, Moonraker and Octopussy.

I still prefer FYEO but i love MR!

#46 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 03:42 AM

ITA. Moore's Bond worked best in films that played to his comic abilities and provided epic colorful/fantasy backgrounds. TSWLM, MR, OP were his 3 best 007 films although his younger and surprisingly tough turn in TMWTGG features my favorite Moore as Bond performance.

#47 triviachamp

triviachamp

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1400 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 07:08 AM

I realize that MR is receving some renewed praise but I think some of it is unwarranted. I find it strange that FYEO is "bland" when Moonraker's plot is a total rehash of TSWLM and which in turn was a rehash of YOLT. All with the same director even! Hell the pretitles are practically scene for scene remakes. Not to mention the return of Jaws, Wood and Bassey...

And yeah the film did recieve quite a bit of praise at the time and FYEO was regarded as a letdown. Bizarrely Ebert criticized FYEO for a weak villain which is strange considering how weak Stromberg and Drax are as villains. Both are evil industrialists who want to kill everyone just because and are played actors who seem to be extremely bored.

#48 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 11:22 PM

I realize that MR is receving some renewed praise but I think some of it is unwarranted. I find it strange that FYEO is "bland" when Moonraker's plot is a total rehash of TSWLM and which in turn was a rehash of YOLT. All with the same director even! Hell the pretitles are practically scene for scene remakes. Not to mention the return of Jaws, Wood and Bassey...

And yeah the film did recieve quite a bit of praise at the time and FYEO was regarded as a letdown. Bizarrely Ebert criticized FYEO for a weak villain which is strange considering how weak Stromberg and Drax are as villains. Both are evil industrialists who want to kill everyone just because and are played actors who seem to be extremely bored.

I enjoy all 3 of these movies, and FYEO is my favourite. I never see TSWLM or Moonraker as retreads of YOLT either.

#49 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 02:57 AM

I'm not seeing these as remakes of You Only Live Twice, either. I think For Your Eyes Only is a good follow-up to Moonraker.

#50 Fiona Volpe lover

Fiona Volpe lover

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 347 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:00 PM

I've always loved Moonraker. Even most of the silly bits. And even most of the space stuff. It's the Bond formula pushed to it's most absurd extremes, and I love it.

#51 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 11:51 PM

I've always loved Moonraker. Even most of the silly bits. And even most of the space stuff. It's the Bond formula pushed to it's most absurd extremes, and I love it.

Did you enjoy the screencaps I chose to highlight this?

#52 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 12:07 AM

I think it was the last of the Bond epic/event Bond films & Hugo Drax is a bit of a underrated bond villain.

May I press you to a cucumber sandwich?

#53 Fiona Volpe lover

Fiona Volpe lover

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 347 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 09:03 PM

I did indeed. The last one especially, I love the 'siren' scene, with the beautiful jungle, the ancient temple, the woman, and that haunting Barry music, it has a real dreamlike quality to it.

#54 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 10:09 PM

I did indeed. The last one especially, I love the 'siren' scene, with the beautiful jungle, the ancient temple, the woman, and that haunting Barry music, it has a real dreamlike quality to it.

I think that scene along with 007's subsequent fall into the pond and battle with the python makes for Moore's best 5 minutes in the role. All pure cinema with no words spoken with John Barry's haunting and hypnotic music in the background.

#55 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 11:25 PM

All pure cinema with no words spoken with John Barry's haunting and hypnotic music in the background

I agree. The music matches the visuals perfectly.

#56 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 01:46 AM

Moonraker took my breath away as a kid. I'd watched the Connery Bonds at the drive in on re-release and on the ABC Sunday Night movie and Moonraker was the first Bond I saw (without my parents) on the BIG screen.

Other Bonds on the BIG Screen followed: FYEO. Octopussy. TLD. GoldenEye. TND. TWINE. None of them held the same level of captivation for me as Moonraker.

Watching the freefall fight in the PTS was mind-blowing. The Space stuff was mind blowing.

In adulthood, i've come to appreciate what an epic Cubby created.

In July, I visited the Hotel Danielli on the Grand Canal in Venice. It's the Hotel where Holly Goodhead stays. (You can see a shot of her on the hotel balcony.)

I just HAD to visit the Danielli in homage of seeing Moonraker on the verge of being a teen.

Moonraker is Bond and Beyond. It is one of the best, i.m.o. :(

#57 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 03:11 AM

All pure cinema with no words spoken with John Barry's haunting and hypnotic music in the background

I agree. The music matches the visuals perfectly.

Great minds think alike, DaveBond21 :)

Moonraker took my breath away as a kid. I'd watched the Connery Bonds at the drive in on re-release and on the ABC Sunday Night movie and Moonraker was the first Bond I saw (without my parents) on the BIG screen.

Other Bonds on the BIG Screen followed: FYEO. Octopussy. TLD. GoldenEye. TND. TWINE. None of them held the same level of captivation for me as Moonraker.

Watching the freefall fight in the PTS was mind-blowing. The Space stuff was mind blowing.

In adulthood, i've come to appreciate what an epic Cubby created.

In July, I visited the Hotel Danielli on the Grand Canal in Venice. It's the Hotel where Holly Goodhead stays. (You can see a shot of her on the hotel balcony.)

I just HAD to visit the Danielli in homage of seeing Moonraker on the verge of being a teen.

Moonraker is Bond and Beyond. It is one of the best, i.m.o. :)

Great post, HildebrandRarity :( Keep the MR love flowing. And I envy you're getting to go to Venice and to the Danielli Hotel.

#58 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 03:27 AM

Moore's Bond worked best in films that played to his comic abilities and provided epic colorful/fantasy backgrounds. TSWLM, MR, OP were his 3 best 007 films

Without a doubt.

although his younger and surprisingly tough turn in TMWTGG features my favorite Moore as Bond performance.

I agree completely.

#59 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 03:42 AM

And I envy you're getting to go to Venice and to the Danielli Hotel.

I've been to Venice but didn't get to visit the Danielli Hotel. Although I did visit St Mark's Square, had a gondola ride and saw plenty of pigeons, some of whom did double-takes when they saw me running towards them.

#60 007'sSolitaire

007'sSolitaire

Recruit

• Crew
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 11:31 PM

Some many beautiful locales in this film. I particularly liked the ones filmed in Rio

http://screenmusings...s/Mnrkr_417.htm
http://screenmusings...s/Mnrkr_504.htm

With the exception of the lasers, I don't mind the silliness, I think it adds an extra artistic dimension to the film. Who could forget these two right at the end? :

http://screenmusings...s/Mnrkr_879.htm

Also the romance in this film between the Dr and Bond was one of the more enjoyable.

http://screenmusings...s/Mnrkr_919.htm
http://screenmusings...s/Mnrkr_306.htm