The Mercurius Affair
Here's a little teaser!
With many thanks to Harry Fawkes and MHazard, whose advices have been of invaluable help to me!
This little fanfic is intended as my humble tribute to Fleming's creation: I have read all the Fleming novels over the last two years, and it deeply modified my understanding of Bond, which was so far only shaped by the film franchise.
I hope you'll enjoy it!
She addressed him in a quite distant manner, but she had that mischievous look he had noticed at the end of their first meeting.
- “I didn’t suspect you were interested in music!”
He answered with a semi-serious smile:
- “I’m interested in every beauty.”
As he had expected, the hackneyed compliment made her give up her reserve. She laughed heartily:
- “Did you take this phrase out of the MI6 instruction manual?”
- “Of course. It’s on page one of the Field manual for turning a foreign agent. But I’m afraid it’s a very old edition...”
- “And what is on page two of this manual?”
- “Something about inviting the agent to a nice dinner. Some champagne might be involved – but it’s classified intel...”
A flicker of vacillation passed through her eyes. She bit pensively her lower lip, imperceptibly tilting her head, and observed for a few seconds this strange man who had so unexpectedly appeared in her life. He certainly had good looks, a fine presence and disarming self-confidence. But beyond his sophisticated, suave and witty demeanour, there was something dark and almost feral in him, something that made him look dangerous. And terribly appealing. She made her decision.
- “Well, then, what about meeting me in fifteen minutes in the entrance hall, downstairs? You’ll teach me the rest of the procedures.”