This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Comic Book/Graphic Novel Fans Out There?

73 replies to this topic

#1 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 01:05 PM

I don't know if this has been brought up before. I hadn't found any thread, so if there was and it died, my apologies in advance.

The comic book movie discussions had me thinking that there's a some comic book fans here on the boards, and with San Diego ComiCon happening seems like a good time to talk comic books.

I grew up collecting Star Trek comic books, and read every issue of G.I. Joe my cousin had. I enjoyed the original 'The Crow' by J. O'Barr, not the incarnations that came later however. And I also collected the Rock and Roll comics for a time too. Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns is my favourite superhero book.

When I got older, my tastes leaned towards the underground. Love and Rockets, I discovered on my own. The Fabulously Furry Freak Brothers was something my dad read and so I read them as well. Original Howard The Duck, Cherry Poptart, Little Annie Fannie, Sally Forth are fun reads. I experimented with Japanese Manga but it was passing. My sister likes Corto Maltese by Hugo Pratt so I'm familiar with that work too.

I absolutely love Creepy, Eerie, and the Vampirella books of the 70's. I read Heavy Metal every so often. I've flipped through the Bond comic collections but can't afford them right now.

My fave artist however, isn't as well known. He's done a few books. Right now he's more of a pin-up guy who's done covers as well. I'm probably very bias but I love Devon Massey's work. He's organic, knows how to draw women. He can draw anything put to him, and his dinosaurs are the best I've seen. He's not super clean lines, like Frank Cho, but I prefer it that way.

So what/who do you fancy in comic books? Any particular characters, writers, or artists?

Edited by ImTheMoneypenny, 24 July 2008 - 01:05 PM.

#2 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 01:25 PM

I think Alan Moore is the greatest graphic novelist of all time (not an unusual opinion in graphic novel circles, given his quality output over the years). He's a brilliant thinker and a brilliant writer.

Alan Moore's WATCHMEN and FROM HELL are my two favorites in the genre, and both exceptional examples of how to tell a complex, rich, intellectually satisfying narrative in the medium. If you haven't read either, stop what you're doing and check 'em out. You'll be better off for it.

#3 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 02:19 PM

I think Alan Moore is the greatest graphic novelist of all time (not an unusual opinion in graphic novel circles, given his quality output over the years). He's a brilliant thinker and a brilliant writer.

Alan Moore's WATCHMEN and FROM HELL are my two favorites in the genre, and both exceptional examples of how to tell a complex, rich, intellectually satisfying narrative in the medium. If you haven't read either, stop what you're doing and check 'em out. You'll be better off for it.

I did enjoyed the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen graphic novel. I've wanted to check out Watchmen for a long time, and really should now in anticipation of the film. Do you know if Moore is keener on this one than he was with League or Vendetta? I will look for From Hell as well. Thanks Harmsway! :tup:

#4 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 02:22 PM

Harmsway, do you rate any of the Bond graphic novels, and if so which ones?

#5 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 02:31 PM

I did enjoyed the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen graphic novel.

LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN is just Moore goofing off. It's not really a good indicator of what Moore is capable of.

I've wanted to check out Watchmen for a long time, and really should now in anticipation of the film. Do you know if Moore is keener on this one than he was with League or Vendetta?

He, and most folks, all agree that WATCHMEN is the superior work (it's considered Moore's greatest achievement). V FOR VENDETTA is good, mind you, but it's very rough around the edges.

I will look for From Hell as well.

Do. It's every bit as good as WATCHMEN, perhaps even better (though just not as significant to the genre).

The Bond graphic novels almost universally suck. They're lazier than the laziest continuation novel. Now, the Daily Express strips which have now been collected into graphic novel-esque collections, those are worth checking out. Especially the ones drawn by John McLusky.

#6 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 02:38 PM

Now, the Daily Express strips which have now been collected into graphic novel-esque collections, those are worth checking out. Especially the ones drawn by John McLusky.

Cheers. Never been into the Bond graphic novels (or indeed any graphic novels, with the exception of Tintin, which I'm a huge fan of). Now I know which ones to seek out.

#7 Scrambled Eggs

Scrambled Eggs

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 11:55 PM

I wouldn't call myself a comic/graphic novel fan but I've started reading them recently.

I can see why people make a fuss about Watchmen. For me, its a little bit too self concious (A few "Hey, see how we're making comics serious - clever ain't it?" moments).

I just finished and really enjoyed "Pride of Baghdad". Intelligent story, best artwork of any graphic novel I've read (so far) and a genuinely moving ending. Really worth getting.

#8 Kilroy6644

Kilroy6644

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2063 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 12:32 AM

Never been a huge comics fan, but there are a few graphic novels I like. I like Sin City and 300, V For Vendetta and of course Watchmen. I think my all-time favorite, however, is Lone Wolf and Cub. Samurai Executioner (by the same two who did LW&C) is also good, but not as good as Lone Wolf.

#9 mrsbonds_ppk

mrsbonds_ppk

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1297 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 02:24 AM

I've never been a huge comic book fan either, but I do read Hellblazer. I started reading these graphic novels last year and I just love that character. The subject matter and art is very intriguing. It's the only comic I've ever really been into reading. My favorite writer in the series is Garth Ennis and my favorite artist is Marcelo Frusin at his best. He might not be a popular pick as far as artist go in Hellblazer, but I do like his work.

Other comics I've casually read very rarely have been Superman comics and I have the Kingdom Come graphic Novel by Mark Waid and Alex Ross that I still haven't read. I've had it since 2005 :tup:.

#10 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 11:42 AM

As someone who's pretty much a layman when it comes to comics/graphic novels, it appears to me that the two biggest names (nay, the only two big names!*) are Alan Moore and Frank Miller.

I recently read WATCHMEN. It blew my mind, and I became an instant, frothing-at-the-mouth fan of the magificent Alan Moore, a writer of extraordinary erudition, originality and power who possesses a unique and compelling view of the world. "Genius" is not a word to be used lightly, but Moore may very well be one, and I agree entirely with Harmsway when he writes:

I also recently tried Miller's THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS, which along with WATCHMEN seems to be the most highly regarded of all graphic novels. It didn't really appeal to me at all, though, and I deeply disliked the film SIN CITY (which I understand is a very faithful adaptation of Miller's work), so Miller may not be for me.

Can anyone here recommend any Japanese graphic novels?

*I'm sure that there are, of course, many writers and illustrators who are very famous within the industry and very highly regarded by fans, and all the rest of it, but it seems to me that only Miller and Moore have an almost household name status among the wider public. Regardless of their achievements in their field, though, I suspect that had those two not been adapted by Hollywood they'd be just about as obscure as everyone else.

#11 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 06:20 PM

Moore especially is a household name when it comes to writing for comic books. Miller I would say is more controversial in that people are split whether they like him or not. Some people never forgave him for what he did to Batman. others say he's misogynist because women in his books are usually hookers/strippers, etc. . . I'm on the fence about him. My sister is a big Will Eisner 'Spirit' fan and she's really unhappy with what she's seen of Frank Miller's version. I unfortunately saw an early clip of it that was shown at a SDCC panel, and didn't like it myself. It looks more like Sin City II.

It's been years since I read any Manga so I'm not up to speed on that. However if you ever come across anything by Hugo Pratt, especially Corto Maltese, those are pretty interesting if you can get them in English that is.

I could read the old 1970's Warren Magazine Vampirella issues all day long myself.

It's funny, I make a living as a freelancer, but I haven't really read much comics over the last few years. I read them a lot in High School, and up until I started freelancing. I like to check out the competition, see what's selling, flip through the art, but haven't really bought anything new.

Edited by ImTheMoneypenny, 20 September 2008 - 06:21 PM.

#12 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 06:49 PM

The Bond graphic novels almost universally suck. They're lazier than the laziest continuation novel. Now, the Daily Express strips which have now been collected into graphic novel-esque collections, those are worth checking out. Especially the ones drawn by John McLusky.

I like Serpents Tooth quite a bit. It's definitely a "big" semi sci-fi Bond in the Moonraker DAD mold, but it's well written and the art is excellent. It's my favorite of all the Bond comics, including the Daily Express strips.

#13 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 06:55 PM

I like Serpents Tooth quite a bit. It's definitely a "big" semi sci-fi Bond in the Moonraker DAD mold, but it's well written and the art is excellent. It's my favorite of all the Bond comics, including the Daily Express strips.

I don't really care for SERPENT'S TOOTH. I don't think it's well-written by any stretch (it makes the screenplay for DIE ANOTHER DAY look masterful), and while the art is okay, it can't salvage the comic because there aren't any interesting things going on.

#14 Kilroy6644

Kilroy6644

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2063 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 08:55 PM

Can anyone here recommend any Japanese graphic novels?

Like I said earlier, I'm not very well versed in comics/graphic novels, or manga for that matter, but I won't hesitate to recommend Lone Wolf and Cub. I'm not going to say it's the best manga out there, because I haven't read much else (and it's all been by the same two guys), but it's damn good. I've heard there are some other good ones out there, but they all have that cartoonish artwork, which is a big turnoff for me, so I didn't bother to pay attention to them. LW&C is more realistic in that respect. Dark Horse just recently republished the series. It may already be out of print again, but it was published recently enough that you should have little trouble finding it in your local comic shops. It's not in Japanese format, unfortunately, so everybody is left-handed, but you really don't notice it that much. :(

#15 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 09:26 PM

Cheers. I shall investigate. :(

#16 Number 6

Number 6

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6555 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 01:52 AM

I have a modest collection stored away in one of my closets, mostly old books from the 50s, 60s & 70s. I have alot of the later books of this decade as well but nothing consistent...

I find graphic novels easier to keep up with lately since I can never frequent a LCS enough to keep up to date with certain monthly titles. Something piques my interest, I just buy the whole story then and there. Done.

THE LONG HALLOWEEN is my favorite graphic novel. :(

#17 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 12:44 PM

I have a modest collection stored away in one of my closets, mostly old books from the 50s, 60s & 70s. I have alot of the later books of this decade as well but nothing consistent...

I find graphic novels easier to keep up with lately since I can never frequent a LCS enough to keep up to date with certain monthly titles. Something piques my interest, I just buy the whole story then and there. Done.

THE LONG HALLOWEEN is my favorite graphic novel. :)

I lost track of monthlies myself, I tend to buy the trade paperbacks or graphic novels if I really dig the art. I look through the books for the art, then the story. I don't think I have a fave graphic novel just yet, I keep looking though. :( The last monthly I bought was the Sable and Fortune ( a nicely painted book).

I just saw a new book called Paradox, I think, that looks pretty good I might check out further.

#18 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 02:33 PM

Cheers, ms minniespinney. :(

#19 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 03:10 PM

ms minniespinney right, Akira is well worth checking out for anyone interested in the manga as well as anime genre. It was one of the first things I checked out back in the day. :) :(

#20 Kilroy6644

Kilroy6644

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2063 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 03:12 PM

I saw the movie several years ago, and I remember really enjoying it. I'll have to see if I can find the books.

#21 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 06:21 PM

Beezer was the best.

#22 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 05:33 PM

Picked up GOOD-BYE by Yoshihiro Tatsumi today. Looks incredibly interesting:

http://www.comicmix....-says-good-bye/

#23 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 05:45 PM

It does. I picked up three relatively obscure graphic novels myself:

SWORD OF DRACULA, a rather acclaimed graphic novel by Jason Henderson that is apparently like FULL METAL JACKET meets ALIENS meets DRACULA, all of which sounds like a whole lot of fun to me.

THE REVENANT, a graphic novel by Keith Giffen that I bought on a whim after reading a good review. Looks like some fun, stylish pulp, and I'm always in the mood for that.

THE BIBLE: EDEN, which I read in a store once. I thought it was a beautiful rendering of the Biblical account, full of imagination and depth while being entirely faithful. It was originally written for Penthouse magazine, of all things, though disputes over the overall vision led to it being cancelled.

#24 pgram

pgram

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 10:12 PM

I did enjoyed the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen graphic novel.

LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN is just Moore goofing off. It's not really a good indicator of what Moore is capable of.

I've wanted to check out Watchmen for a long time, and really should now in anticipation of the film. Do you know if Moore is keener on this one than he was with League or Vendetta?

He, and most folks, all agree that WATCHMEN is the superior work (it's considered Moore's greatest achievement). V FOR VENDETTA is good, mind you, but it's very rough around the edges.

I will look for From Hell as well.

Do. It's every bit as good as WATCHMEN, perhaps even better (though just not as significant to the genre).

Moore goofing off? That's an expression we read quite often here on CBn, isn't it?

The Bond graphic novels are really bad, all of them. John Burns, who is an excellent artist, did a good job with the Silent Armageddon, but the story was weak and was even aborted before finishing. The newspaper strips suffer from bad original stories, even though Horak is fantastic. The Fleming ones are mainly drawn by McClusky, whose style I don't like.

Loomis chose wisely, Tintin is the best comic character of all time, in my opinion, by a mile. Herge was a true genious, managing to even capture motion in a static medium. And I 'm not referring just to his drawing style, I 'm referring to composition. For more info, go to the official website, and look for the vignette in The crab with the golden claws with the beduins running away from Haddock. Pure genious.

Another hero that is not mentioned often here, is Corto Maltese, a huge character in Italy, quite popular in Greece and with a few similarities to Bond. Unfortunately, here in England is impossible to find, even the swatch special edition watches (released before the Bond villains one) were too dificult to find. Definitely worth looking for...

#25 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 10:48 PM

It does.

Well, I've finished it already. It's not a satisfying, complex story (a la WATCHMEN) so much as a series of vignettes providing a small window both into Japan in the years following World War II and into a very particular comic book culture.

It's not much "fun", being so dark and adult as to make WATCHMEN look like The Dandy, but if you like FROM HELL and films like HIROSHIMA MON AMOUR, IKIRU, IN THE REALM OF THE SENSES and OLDBOY, have a more than passing interest in Japan and graphic novels, and enjoy works that reflect on history and the human condition, then it's something you'll probably find well worth checking out.

#26 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 05:36 AM

I'm a minor graphic novel fan. I used to be a huge Superman comic nut when I was a kid, so the Death/Return of Superman has remained my favorite arc that I own. I've gotten away from reading comics and graphic novels, but I read the Origin: Wolverine story, and am currently reading Return of the Dark Knight. Being a Superman fan AND a Batman fan, I'm intrigued by the direction in which they took Superman. Heck, I might even like the choice. Batman's definitely the underdog of the two, and I identify with the underdog.

#27 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 05:44 AM

I'm a minor graphic novel fan. I used to be a huge Superman comic nut when I was a kid, so the Death/Return of Superman has remained my favorite arc that I own.

Have you read SUPERMAN: FOR ALL SEASONS? It's more recent, but it's in my estimation the best Superman-related graphic novel ever written.

I've gotten away from reading comics and graphic novels, but I read the Origin: Wolverine story, and am currently reading Return of the Dark Knight.

Do you mean THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS?

#28 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 05:56 AM

I'm a minor graphic novel fan. I used to be a huge Superman comic nut when I was a kid, so the Death/Return of Superman has remained my favorite arc that I own.

Have you read SUPERMAN: FOR ALL SEASONS? It's more recent, but it's in my estimation the best Superman-related graphic novel ever written.

Alas, no, I haven't. The last Superman comic I bought was the "Forever" issue that tied up the Red/Blue arc, and the only other arc I own is the Superman vs. Doomsday arc (where he returns). But I'd be jazzed to check it out.

I've gotten away from reading comics and graphic novels, but I read the Origin: Wolverine story, and am currently reading Return of the Dark Knight.

Do you mean THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS?

Doh. :( Yep, that'd be it!

#29 Mister E

Mister E

Resigned

• Discharged
  • PipPipPip
  • 2160 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 04:52 PM

I have been into alot more funny animal comics recently. They have been more interesting then super hero comic books. The one I usually read is Carl Bark's Uncle Scrooge stories. I also read the graphic novels that are written and drawn by Doug Tennapel, they have religious undertones but they are still a great read.

#30 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 03:55 PM

Has anyone here checked out the graphic novels on which OLDBOY was based? I had no idea it was originally Japanese and not Korean.

http://www.amazon.co...0...2260&sr=8-6