35 replies to this topic

#1 Predator_007

Predator_007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 211 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 08:11 AM

Listening to XFM this morning, they announced that The Daily Star had an exclusive as to who's going to be the new Bond in Bond 21 ...

No new news, Clive Owen was their man ... funny thing is there evidence is supposedly a leak stating that Owen has been "asked to look desheveled so that it draws press attention away from him in the run up to the DAD premiere when the press announcement will be made" [I'm paraphrasing as I haven't seen the article yet]

Me, I'm a little sceptical (The Daily Star is a bit of a rag) and this story has been around for ages ... and I don't actually think he is a terribly likely candidate ...

[Is this the MGM/Eon PR department doing some work for once?]

#2 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 05:13 PM

'Clive Owen not new Bond' - Eon
http://www.teletext....tsubsectionid=7

The makers of the James Bond movies have emphatically denied a tabloid's claim that Clive Owen will replace Pierce Brosnan after Die Another Day.

The Daily Star newspaper purportedly quotes "a pal" of Owen saying "James Bond bosses" have ordered him to grow a beard so that his image cannot be associated with that of 007.

But Eon Productions, which makes the Bond films, dismissed the report as "total fiction".

In the Daily Star report, Owen is quoted as saying that he understands Brosnan recommended him to take over as Bond after Die Another Day.

But a spokeswoman at Eon told Teletext: "We are not looking for a replacement for Pierce. We are concentrating on Die Another Day and Pierce will continue as Bond."

Owen can be seen in The Bourne Identity. He impressed critics with his performance in Croupier.

16/09/2002

=======================================

Really though, why would Eon undercut their leading man at his own Premiere and declare his replacement? Especially when Brosnan has been telling everyone that he's been told the by the producers that the job is his as long as he wants it and he wants to do Bond 21.

It's more like PR from Clive Owen's people getting his name in the press, like Dougray Scott and that Dracula 2000 guy before him, and countless others. Just like all those actress's and models saying how they'd be "willing" to be the next Bond girl. How big of them, but nobody asked. :)

MBE

#3 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 05:48 PM

Once again, MBE, you're right as rain. Really, even though I think Clive Owen would make a pretty good Bond, I'm tired of the "so-and-so has been confirmed as the next James Bond" rumors. . .can we declare a six-month moritorium on these discussions?

#4 WC

WC

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 07:09 PM

I'm not sure that Clive Owen would make that great a Bond even if the rumour were true. He looks a little too much of a 'hard man' like Vinnie Jones or someone similar. He seems like he belongs more in a Brit Flick made by Guy Ritchie than playing the suave secret agent James Bond.

Besides, his name sounds a bit ordinary and lacklustre - lacking in star power perhaps. A bit like Finlay Light (although that was admittedly worse) - one of the supposed other actors with a 10 picture deal rumoured for Bond I think just when Roger Moore was about to retire.

#5 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 07:39 PM

Originally posted by Welshcat
Besides, his name sounds a bit ordinary and lacklustre - lacking in star power perhaps.

To British ears, perhaps, but not American ones. . .I can't recall ever meeting a single Yank named Clive!

#6 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 07:53 PM

Clive may not be ordinary in America but it doesn't exactly resonate with charisma and star power either. Why does it make me envision someone stuffy and nasal in tweeds? :) Which of course if very far removed from Owen's persona. But I agree, with Welscat, he wouldn't be my first choice for Bond and for the same reaons. I like him as an actor, very much, but not as Bond.

#7 M_Balje

M_Balje

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 10:16 PM

Dutch Program "Rtl Boulavard" hat to day a interview with Clive Owen about this.
He say's that he liked play Jamesbond as the producers ask him for take the role over from Brosnan for bond 22 and more.
It's confirmd too that Pierce Brosnan play the secret agent for the last time in Bond 21.
The program ask him of he his beard savage make stand for a good view of him as bond.
And he died it.
And i must say, i like him a bit for Bond.

#8 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 17 September 2002 - 12:03 AM

Originally posted by Predator_007
Listening to XFM this morning, they announced that The Daily Star had an exclusive as to who's going to be the new Bond in Bond 21 ...

No new news, Clive Owen was their man ... funny thing is there evidence is supposedly a leak stating that Owen has been "asked to look desheveled so that it draws press attention away from him in the run up to the DAD premiere when the press announcement will be made" [I'm paraphrasing as I haven't seen the article yet]

Me, I'm a little sceptical (The Daily Star is a bit of a rag) and this story has been around for ages ... and I don't actually think he is a terribly likely candidate ...

[Is this the MGM/Eon PR department doing some work for once?]

Hasn't Pierce already said that he's doing Bond 21? After all we've been through, can we STILL not recognize a pure PR puff piece when we see one? Come on, guys...

#9 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 17 September 2002 - 12:15 AM

M_Balje, that's just it Clive Owen would like it, but no one has asked him. Ioan Gruffyd would like it but no one has asked him, ditto Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale and countless others in numerous recent interviews.

There has been no confirmation that Bond 21 with be Brosnan's last. He's said he'd like to do another and that he's now taking them one at a time. He's unsure if he'll do any after that but nothing is definite. He says he's been told the role is his as long as he wants it and he'll figure out if he can still do the role physically etc on a film by film basis. Either way if 21 or 22 is his last they're not going to hire someone now, or offer someone else the role while he still has it, not for a role 5-7 years in the future.

#10 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 17 September 2002 - 01:31 AM

I can't expect MGM will say anything about this...or about anything, after the way they go on about saving the fans from the untimely demise associated with too much information about upcoming Bond films. :)

#11 Predator_007

Predator_007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 211 posts

Posted 17 September 2002 - 08:07 AM

Originally posted by zencat
After all we've been through, can we STILL not recognize a pure PR puff piece when we see one? Come on, guys...

I think you'll find I posted it as an eyes-up and my tone was dismissive.

Whether or not it's a 'PR puff piece', it pertains to Bond and as such is worthy of (scornful) discussion. Let's not get all patronising ...

And Hardyboy ... a moratorium? We are certain to find out who is the new Bond first from a source outside of Eon (they are traditionally fairly backward in coming forward). While I agree that it's not likely for some years IMO, we must discuss any rumour and then dismiss it/accept it after suitable consideration.

#12 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 17 September 2002 - 10:08 AM

i read in today's ( tuesday 17th september ) copy of the Daily Express a quote by Clive Owen which indicated he had been approached to play Bond, but not when. Apparantly, according to the article, he has been Pierce Brosnan's favourite to suceed him for some time.

Just thought I'd put my money into this debate ! :)

#13 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 17 September 2002 - 01:17 PM

Do you think Clive Owen feels shame that he didn't last as long as James Bond as Catherine Zeta-Jones did? It was about five minute by my watch between the time I heard that he would definitely be the next Bond to when I heard Eon's empathic denial. CZ-J lasted a week or two.

#14 Predator_007

Predator_007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 211 posts

Posted 17 September 2002 - 01:19 PM

LOL! :)

I'm still trying to figure out who leaked the story and why ... If it was Eon it served no purpose other than get people talking about Bond; if it was Owen he has just been made to look silly. Ho hum.

#15 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 17 September 2002 - 02:01 PM

You can be 90% sure it was Owen's PR people. It's a quite common practice for people to try to attach their name to Bond to get a little bit of press. The other 10% possiblity would be that someone just made it up, either the press or a fan that could fool the press. I'd say there was a 0% chance that Eon leaked this news. (Though it could be MGM throwing out a trial balloon, but with the timing of it I seriously doubt it.)

#16 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 17 September 2002 - 04:21 PM

Most people are going to wonder who the hell is Clive Owen? Is he Timothy Dalton's cousin? You mean, Pierce isn't doing another one? Aw, ****!

#17 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 17 September 2002 - 04:52 PM

Originally posted by ChandlerBing
You mean, Pierce isn't doing another one?  Aw, ****!

I have no doubt in my mind thats how people (non Bond fans, casual movie goers) will react when they find out Pierce is not in the next Bond film. It happend with OHMSS. As I've said before, the only way to ensure success after Brosnan leaves, is to get a bankable star, someone that everyone has heard of, and as I've said before, that man is Hugh Jackman.

#18 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 17 September 2002 - 07:39 PM

Originally posted by Mourning Becomes Electra
"Owen can be seen in The Bourne Identity. He impressed critics with his performance in Croupier."

There's the tell. Pure PR piece. Even Eon's denial is, believe it or not, a PR manipulation. One day you say he's Bond (1 story) the next day you report the denial (2nd story). You get two stories out of this, both of which are about promoting Clive Owen and The Bourne Identity. I'm not saying this is bad--it's the way the game is played--but don't think this has anything to do with James Bond.

#19 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 17 September 2002 - 07:51 PM

Zencat, oh yeah it's pure PR. My favorite bit though is the "quote" from Clive Owen saying that he heard he was Pierce's choice. I'm sure about now PB has plenty of choice words for him. :)

#20 daman3755

daman3755

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 19 September 2002 - 01:44 AM

Bollocks! I can see Clive Owen as Bond someday, but it is very clear that Broz is coming back for B21. Besides, what about Hugh Jackman? :)

#21 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 19 September 2002 - 04:19 PM

If anyone at MGM and Eon has any brains whatsoever, they will call Hugh Jackman and give him what he wants to play Bond when Pierce is done. Don't go back to the Dalton-like Bond where he was a whiny grumpy twit who took all the fun out of being Bond.

#22 Robinson

Robinson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1445 posts

Posted 28 September 2002 - 12:57 PM

Sorry folks, I think Clive Owen's too "pretty" right now to assume the mantle. It's the same problem Pierce had back in '86. Clive looked cool in the BMW ads and was convincing as an assasin in "The Bourne Identity" but he needs a few more years on him.

I'd say Jason Isaacs(The Patriot, Event Horizon, etc.) could work as could Jackman. Hell, why don't you go for broke and get Sean Bean?!!!!!

#23 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 28 September 2002 - 01:10 PM

I cant stand Clive Owen, his facial structure is just not right for Bond. Yea, a good chance is was just his PR people, to spark up the media and get his name in the headlines to get noticed. Hugh Jackman is the best option in my opinion, he can act suave but can get into those action scenes, and he can act! What more could you want?

#24 General Gogol

General Gogol

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 167 posts

Posted 30 September 2002 - 11:24 AM

I know that Bond can be a demanding role, but I hope Pierce will stay on for a few more Bonds. I think he does a great job and to change after this film would hurt the franchise in my opinion. Have a great day!!!!

#25 iceberg

iceberg

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 387 posts

Posted 23 October 2002 - 11:22 AM

I'm not too keen on Clive Owen for Bond, myself. While a good actor, I will be severely disappointed if he gets the role. Granted, I haven't seen him as Bond so there's the chance he could surprise. However, the vision of him as Bond simply isn't a compelling one to me. I e mailed some friends and Bond fans about their ideas. The responses were a usual mixed bag: Sean Bean, Jeremy Northam, Gerard Butler (my pick, as well), Hugh Jackman, Rupert Everett. When I asked them what they thought about Clive Owen, their response was pretty much the same as mine.

Sorry, I think of him as Bond and I yawn....

#26 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 23 October 2002 - 12:56 PM

Clive Owen is a much darker character, much more mysterious and dangerous. All these Hollywood actors don't look like shady killers who could turn around and put a bullet between your eyes, like Bond should. (See TD, SC) Clive Owen most certainly does, unlike all of these Hollywood pretty boys. Leave them to lesser films, not Bond.

#27 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 23 October 2002 - 02:39 PM

People expect Bond (the movie version at least), to be somewhat of a pretty boy. Everyone but Dalton had these qualitys, one of the reasons people disliked Dalton was cause they thought he was ugly (I'm not making this up).

I think the producers are going to choose someone they think the public will like, hell, after Brosnan, theyre going to need to cast someone well known. Like ChandlerBing said, Eon should go with Jackman.

#28 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 24 October 2002 - 12:47 PM

Sean Connery and Pierce Brosnan are NOT prettyboys. As much as they pale into insignificance when compared to Dalton, they are superstars on another level from wannabes like Jackman. All the Bonds so far, with the exception of GL have had charisma without being a total drip and have been able to hold the role without looking like some smooth chested over grown mummy's boy.

#29 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 24 October 2002 - 12:58 PM

Having watched a couple of his films without ever actually noticing him, I would say that puts the lid on that one.

Evidently he didn't have the presence necessary to hold a role like that.

I keep slipping the name Christian Bale into these discussions but I guess no one is with me on this one. Having said that, he does look as though he has enough attitude to be a bas---d when the circumstance demands it.

#30 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 24 October 2002 - 04:58 PM

You obviously weren't looking very hard. If you didn't notice him then how did you know he was in it exactly?
Anyway, the fact is it doesn't really matter who we think should be the next Bond, seeing as MGM will choose whoever they see fit, which isn't necessarily the same as we see fit. I mean, look at GL - if they can cast him they can cast ANYBODY! (Barring Robbie Williams, pray.)