105 replies to this topic

#61 Dr. Noah

Dr. Noah

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1405 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:28 PM

Yes. We get it. You're better than we are. We're all very impressed.

#62 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:36 PM

Yes. We get it. You're better than we are. We're all very impressed.

Clearly, you seem to be unable to rationalise your arguments, and seem to believe juvenile efforts at what purports to be sarcasm will suffice.

Perhaps I shouldn't have expected anything else from someone who crassly invokes the CBN censorship tool in his opening remark with an insult against someone simply for having a different opinion!

#63 Dr. Noah

Dr. Noah

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1405 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:41 PM

Clearly. We all admire you for your opinions. Thank you again for showing us our faults in purchasing a Bond book.

I'm sorry. Is it important for you to get the last word in? Go ahead...

#64 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:51 PM

Clearly. We all admire you for your opinions. Thank you again for showing us our faults in purchasing a Bond book.

I'm sorry. Is it important for you to get the last word in? Go ahead...

Sure. Enough juvenile stupidity.

#65 Dr. Noah

Dr. Noah

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1405 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 01:00 PM

Thanks!

#66 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 01:03 PM

Get a room you two!

#67 Dr. Noah

Dr. Noah

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1405 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 01:05 PM

Do we have to? He'll just complain about the room I picked.

#68 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 01:08 PM

Thanks!

No need to thank me.

#69 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 01:38 PM

I'll pick the room so the two of you can get this 'thing' out of your systems.

#70 Dr. Noah

Dr. Noah

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1405 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 01:42 PM

"Why would anyone would pay such an amount for a very ostentatious room of a not very good hotel???"

It's kind of amazing. Bond fans take such great offense at Fleming's books being called juvenile, badly plotted, poorly written, etc., at the time they came out, and yet they're so quick to become snobs themselves at the first opportunity...

Sorry you didn't like the book. Get over yourself.

Don't bother with the room, Skudor. I'm sick of Bond fans telling me how wrong I am for buying a Bond book. Talked down to by people because they read Icebreaker once -- kind of amazing...

#71 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 02:59 PM

If I had the money to burn I'd certainly buy this or any other Bond collectable. I wish to god I could afford a first edition CR! But that's just me. And alas, I haven't the disposable funds to burn :tup:

#72 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 03:25 PM

I've seen at least 50 of he slipcased versions on E-Bay and they've all gone for around $550 bucks, US, some up to $700...

And it seems the going price for a Bentley special is $3000. I've seen 3 sell for this price. One that was set at $3500 didn't sell. But the Bentleys do seem to be drying up on eBay (in fact, at the moment, there are none). The few that are on ABE, etc. are priced over $4000.

But before you pay, check this out.

My naiivety leads me to question why anyone would pay such an amount for a very ostentatious edition of a not very good book. :tup:

I think most are buying the book as an investment, plain and simple. It's the collector/dealer mind and market at work here. It may or may not be a smart buy at $3000. It's a no brainer at $1500.

I was shocked that the UK editions sold out so quickly and I'm very surprised that the book is already selling at double the cover price. But now I realize this edition is a triple threat -- it is a collectible that appeals to three different factions; Bond collectors (obviously), but also Faulks collectors and Bentley collectors (and maybe even die-cast car collectors). Too bad they couldn't find a way to mix Sherlock Holmes in there. :tup:

#73 Sbott

Sbott

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1048 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 11:23 PM

I was very happy to have landed a Limited Edition (the red box) on the day, but I learned about the 1500 too late. Blasted around London and they were long gone (Foyels and Murder One had had them). However, I did stumble on copies at Borders Oxford St that had covers signed by Tuuli. Very happy to grab one of those at cover price (actually, it was free as I won a �10 gift cert at a Borders Bond Quiz). Came home and grabbed one of the 1500 online for a little under �100. Yes, they made a killing off me, but I have what I need (and if I wrap the Tuuli jacket on it, that makes a nice addition to my first editions).

Re the Bentley Special...I'm thinking about it. I might have a way of getting a copy for the original $1500. But I don't know, it's a lot of moola.

Somehow I already own nine copies of this book. :tup:

I'm very jealous about the Ltd Ed version they are still available on Ebay but the prices are rising and on ABE.com they are all in excess of $900 US but as you hinted sometime you just have to have it....

#74 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 09:46 AM

But now I realize this edition is a triple threat -- it is a collectible that appeals to three different factions; Bond collectors (obviously), but also Faulks collectors and Bentley collectors (and maybe even die-cast car collectors). Too bad they couldn't find a way to mix Sherlock Holmes in there. :tup:

Quadruple?

While knowing absolutely nothing about the book collecting world, I would imagine this would appeal to those generic book collectors who would recognise am item that will always accrue in value - i.e. investment purposes only.

#75 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 03:01 PM

Imagine what those Bentley versions will be worth in 100 years time....

#76 Mark_Hazard

Mark_Hazard

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:50 PM

Don't know about you Skudor, but I won't be around to care :tup: . I'm satisfied with my plain ordinary 1st (with a pack of 5 postcards, of course :tup: ).

Edited by Mark_Hazard, 18 June 2008 - 08:53 PM.

#77 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:54 PM

If Amazon UK is like the US site, it's very easy to get a replacement. Just say it was damaged and they'll instantly ship a new one and give you a postage paid return label. What's nice is you can wait for the new one to arrive before shipping back the old. You might want to do this as the new one might not be a first edition. But you can just swap the jackets.

Now that's service!

Looks like Amazon.co.uk do offer that service. Great idea to hang onto the book in case they ship a second edition. Thanks for the advice - and the replacement offer!

I just submitted a replacement request to Amazon.co.uk for my damaged copy of Devil May Care. Shortly afterwards, I received an email saying it had been ordered and that, due to the cost of returning the item, I get to keep the original book as well.

What great service!

#78 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:58 PM

Excellent. Now you have a reading copy. :tup:

It won't matter to the PLANET OF THE APES!

#79 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 09:12 PM

Somehow I still don't have a single copy of the book. Damn job's keeping me too busy!

#80 Dr. Noah

Dr. Noah

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1405 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 10:14 PM

Okay, anybody heard of a signed US edition? One showed up on E-Bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

LIMITED HARDBACK 1ST EDITION

JAMES BOND - Devil May Care

Written by Sebastian Faulks

This is a truely collectable LTD ED Book.

A stunning 1st Edition HB US version of the Book, with a special Publishers Signed bookplate

(these were limited to only 500 in the US)

***Tired of being out-bidded at the last minute on auctions - then buy-it-now before someone beats you to it - these are already becoming rare on ebay and will only result in the prices getting higher!***

Posted Image

Posted Image

#81 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 10:55 PM

Huh. This is news to me.

#82 Dr. Noah

Dr. Noah

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1405 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 11:01 PM

Huh. This is news to me.

Looks like they had him sign 500 Post-It notes!

You'd think if this was real they would've announced it somewhere.

#83 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 11:04 PM

I'm going to look into this.

Are Faulks other books published by Doubleday in the U.S.? If so, then I could believe this is just a signed bookplate (which could have been signed at anytime) that has been tipped in. I'm a little suspicious about this being a specific special limited run of DMC, just because we haven't heard anything about it. But the 1500 UK editions took me totally by surprise, so...

I was actually thinking of trying to track down a Faulks bookplate to tip into my U.S. DMC.

If none of Faulks other books have been published by Doubleday, then this can only have been done for DMC.

#84 Dr. Noah

Dr. Noah

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1405 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 01:14 AM

Engleby was published by Doubleday in the US, too.

#85 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 03:17 PM

Okay, here's the scoop from Doubleday. While not being "Limited Editions" per se, a handful of bookplate editions were made available to the public "via various specialty retailers around the country." One thing the seller doesn't have correct (as I suspected) is the number. It's not 500.

It's only 100. :tup:

Attack.

#86 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 05:05 PM

Copy on alibris/ABE for $300.

http://www.alibris.c...i...ort=&page=1

There was one for $128, but it looks like it sold, dang-it.

I nabbed one for $226.

#87 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 08:17 PM

Okay, here's the scoop from Doubleday. While not being "Limited Editions" per se, a handful of bookplate editions were made available to the public "via various specialty retailers around the country." One thing the seller doesn't have correct (as I suspected) is the number. It's not 500.

It's only 100. :tup:

Attack.

God. They are just making a killing off the Bond collectors this year.

#88 Sbott

Sbott

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1048 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 11:14 AM

Finally managed to get a copy of the Ltd edition signed and slipcased - still in its wrapper from Amazon, 250 pounds: still a big markup but not as bad as the prices on ebay at the moment.

#89 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 12:00 AM

My copy finally arrived in the mail the other day - #295, along with one of those Devil May Care posters.

Now to figure out where the hell to display this massive thing. :tup:

#90 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 03:29 AM

If Amazon UK is like the US site, it's very easy to get a replacement. Just say it was damaged and they'll instantly ship a new one and give you a postage paid return label. What's nice is you can wait for the new one to arrive before shipping back the old. You might want to do this as the new one might not be a first edition. But you can just swap the jackets.

Now that's service!

Looks like Amazon.co.uk do offer that service. Great idea to hang onto the book in case they ship a second edition. Thanks for the advice - and the replacement offer!

I just submitted a replacement request to Amazon.co.uk for my damaged copy of Devil May Care. Shortly afterwards, I received an email saying it had been ordered and that, due to the cost of returning the item, I get to keep the original book as well.

What great service!

Just received my replacement copy - it's a fourth edition! Amazing that it's in its fourth print run so soon.

Anyone seen anything later than that?