I want to see them all together, John.

#33 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 10:39 PM

There are two still in the mail. When I get them, I'll put them all together and take a pic.

#34 Dr. Noah

Dr. Noah

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1405 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 09:15 AM

Nice! Which one will you read?

#35 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 09:21 AM

Somehow I already own nine copies of this book. :tup:

Correction. Make that an even 10. :tup:

Placed an early speculative bid myself for the Hatchards Edition which failed. Bought the UK edition to read and the US because I prefered the cover.

And then I read the book - and realised how blessed I was missing out on the ebay bid and how much money I'd saved. No Hatchards copy, no "One of 1500 signed", and no Bentley Edition for me, thank you.

John, sir, your dedication to the cause deserves credit, sir. :(

#36 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 10:48 AM

There are two still in the mail. When I get them, I'll put them all together and take a pic.

zen, your dedication to completism is relentless.

I am certainly less interested in the books than you but can admire the pursuit. (My area of madness is the lobby cards)

Will your picture include a description of all the variations between books as there can't have been 10 separate editions....? Can there?

#37 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 03:43 PM

I can do that now.

1. Devil May Care - Bentley Special Edition #211
2. Devil May Care - Limited "Red Box" Edition #395
3. Devil May Care - UK First - signed by Sebastian Faulks (one of 1500)
4. Devil May Care - UK First - signed by Tuuli
5. Devil May Care - UK First - launch party favor in DMC gift bag.
6. Devil May Care - UK First - review copy from publisher with press release notes and DMC shipping box/label.
7. Devil May Care - UK First - with Dukes hotel competition sticker (won free at Bond quiz at Borders -- this is my reading copy)
8. Devil May Care - US First Edition
9. Devil May Care - US Large print paperback
10. Devil May Care - International trade paperback
11. Devil May Care - UK audiobook

Oh, it's 11, not 10. :tup:

#38 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 03:49 PM

I can do that now.

6. Devil May Care - UK First - review copy from publisher with press release notes and DMC shipping box/label.
7. Devil May Care - UK First - With Dukes hotel competition sticker (won free at Bond quiz at Borders)

Oh, it's 11, not 10.

Why not make a it 12 with the US audiobook too? :tup:

So much to collect!

#39 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 03:51 PM

I've thought about it. But I don't collect the audiobooks. I just got the UK edition because of the SAL song.

#40 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 04:29 PM

Grr, my UK edition of Devil May Care finally arrived from Amazon.co.uk yesterday and the dustjacket as a 1 cm tear on the bottom-right corner of the front cover.

Fortunately, my copies of The Moneypenny Diaries: Final Fling and the Hurricane Gold paperback arrived in tact.

#41 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 04:52 PM

If Amazon UK is like the US site, it's very easy to get a replacement. Just say it was damaged and they'll instantly ship a new one and give you a postage paid return label. What's nice is you can wait for the new one to arrive before shipping back the old. You might want to do this as the new one might not be a first edition. But you can just swap the jackets.

If that doesn't work, I can send you one of mine. I have a feeling I'm going to end up with a few more firsts before the dust settles.

#42 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 05:06 PM

If Amazon UK is like the US site, it's very easy to get a replacement. Just say it was damaged and they'll instantly ship a new one and give you a postage paid return label. What's nice is you can wait for the new one to arrive before shipping back the old. You might want to do this as the new one might not be a first edition. But you can just swap the jackets.

Now that's service!

Looks like Amazon.co.uk do offer that service. Great idea to hang onto the book in case they ship a second edition. Thanks for the advice - and the replacement offer!

#43 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 05:16 PM

I really love how Amazon ships you the replacement without waiting for the return. The way it works is if you don't return the original after a (generous) period of time, you get charged for the replacement.

#44 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 05:28 PM

Yeah, with Amazon.co.uk, it's 30 days. Just enough time for me to receive the new copy (in Canada) and then return the damaged one to the UK. It's great service for something that, in a way, mightn't be their fault.

#45 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 05:41 PM

[dark] -- is the UK edition not available in Canadian stores or on Amazon.ca?

#46 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 05:43 PM

Nope - Doubleday Canada have published their own edition, which looks to be identical to the US (only with Doubleday Canada on the spine and inside the book).

We do have the very nice Centenary hardbacks here, though.

#47 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 05:57 PM

Nope - Doubleday Canada have published their own edition, which looks to be identical to the US (only with Doubleday Canada on the spine and inside the book).

We do have the very nice Centenary hardbacks here, though.

All very true. DMC is identical to the US version - guess if I want the UK version I'll have to order it. The centennary hardbacks, however, are available, and I'm halfway to buying them all. When I first saw the artwork I wasn't a big fan, but I've gotten use to them. The bits of trivia on the backflaps of each book are a nice touch.

#48 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 06:01 PM

All very true. DMC is identical to the US version - guess if I want the UK version I'll have to order it. The centennary hardbacks, however, are available, and I'm halfway to buying them all. When I first saw the artwork I wasn't a big fan, but I've gotten use to them. The bits of trivia on the backflaps of each book are a nice touch.

Have you found them in stores anywhere below the RRP? I know you can order them online for cheaper, but are they marked down anywhere in stores?

#49 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 06:34 PM

Have you found them in stores anywhere below the RRP? I know you can order them online for cheaper, but are they marked down anywhere in stores?

No - only the cover price. Chapters was having a sale last weekend where the books were five dollars off, but, alas, that was only for two days. But, if I know Chapters-Indigo, you can expect a lot of similar sales over the course of the summer where you may be able to snatch them up for a few bucks under the cover price.

#50 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 14 June 2008 - 01:29 AM

I can do that now.

7. Devil May Care - UK First - with Dukes hotel competition sticker (won free at Bond quiz at Borders -- this is my reading copy)

Are you going to read/listen to them, zencat? :tup:

#51 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 11:21 AM

I can do that now.

Just - wow.

Thanks for listing, quite incredible.

And presumeably you start all over again when the thing goes to normal paperback...

#52 Dr. Noah

Dr. Noah

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1405 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 02:20 PM

... Or he simply sells them on E-Bay and makes 3 or 4 times his money back. He was smart bought the books at regular price in England. I'm sitting around waiting for a cheap copy to slip through online -- I should've bought a plane ticket, too, and saved myself some money!

I've seen at least 50 of he slipcased versions on E-Bay and they've all gone for around $550 bucks, US, some up to $700. They've got us Bond collectors all figured out.

#53 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 03:41 PM

I've seen at least 50 of he slipcased versions on E-Bay and they've all gone for around $550 bucks, US, some up to $700...

And it seems the going price for a Bentley special is $3000. I've seen 3 sell for this price. One that was set at $3500 didn't sell. But the Bentleys do seem to be drying up on eBay (in fact, at the moment, there are none). The few that are on ABE, etc. are priced over $4000.

But before you pay, check this out.

#54 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 08:07 AM

I've seen at least 50 of he slipcased versions on E-Bay and they've all gone for around $550 bucks, US, some up to $700...

And it seems the going price for a Bentley special is $3000. I've seen 3 sell for this price. One that was set at $3500 didn't sell. But the Bentleys do seem to be drying up on eBay (in fact, at the moment, there are none). The few that are on ABE, etc. are priced over $4000.

But before you pay, check this out.

My naiivety leads me to question why anyone would pay such an amount for a very ostentatious edition of a not very good book. :tup:

#55 Dr. Noah

Dr. Noah

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1405 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 11:51 AM

My naiivety leads me to question why anyone would pay such an amount for a very ostentatious edition of a not very good book. :tup:

Maybe because he likes the book, along with a majority of critics and book buyers, and you're being a condescending :tup:.

#56 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 11:56 AM

Maybe because he likes the book, along with a majority of critics and book buyers, and you're being a condescending :tup:.

Noah, not sure what that remark was meant to mean - are you looking for an argument by being rude?

To clarify - in case you didn't understand what I was suggesting - was why anyone would pay $3000 for a book I happen to consider looks vulgar and which contains very poor writing. Not sure how that qualifies my opinion as being condescending?

Perhaps you can explain on both points, if you can.

#57 Dr. Noah

Dr. Noah

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1405 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:04 PM

Yeah. Stick with that. You're very cool. We all admire you for your superior intellect.

#58 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:10 PM

Yeah. Stick with that. You're very cool. We all admire you for your superior intellect.

Presume therefore you're not able to defend your earlier comments? And, btw, your attempts at sarcasm aren't brilliant, either.

Or are you just annoyed I don't like what Faulks has produced and your from the provisional wing of the Faulks fan club? Note then: I'm not the only one who didn't like DMC. :tup: You should read CBN - and elsewhere - a little more closely.

#59 Dr. Noah

Dr. Noah

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1405 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:12 PM

No, I'm annoyed that you think it's important to pass judgement on somebody for buying a Bond book. Is your mom mad at you for stealing the money out of her purse for yours?

#60 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:22 PM

No, I'm annoyed that you think it's important to pass judgement on somebody for buying a Bond book. Is your mom mad at you for stealing the money out of her purse for yours?

Not sure what the last attempt at sarcasm meant. It got lost in translation.

But I get it now. Paying $3000 dollars for a Bond book is reasonable in your view. Fine. Though I'd point out its a book that can be obtained in other forms considerably cheaper, and which is only $3000+ because various profiteering booksellers cleared up from the retailer. But hey, it's your $3000, not mine. You pays your money, you make your choice.

BTW, your not really one of those knocking these off at $3000+ on ebay and ABE, are you? :tup: