45 replies to this topic

#31 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 04:53 AM

He didn't even seem to be acting, just being himself.

That's the problem. While I enjoyed the movie, Downey wasn't playing Tony Stark-he was playing himself. Stark is not a smart alecky kind of guy; Downey is.

That may be so, but with all due respect, the general audience couldn't care less if it is 100 percent faithful or not. All they knew was that they had an enjoyable two hours. Most people had no idea of who Iron Man was and all the intricacies of the character. This is Downey's interpretation, and it has done it's job by getting people into the cinema.

#32 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 07:46 AM

That may be so, but with all due respect, the general audience couldn't care less if it is 100 percent faithful or not.

With all due respect I don't care about the general audience's opinion. I was stating my own.

#33 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 07:56 AM

Ah very well, that makes two of us.

#34 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 04:22 PM

He didn't even seem to be acting, just being himself.

That's the problem. While I enjoyed the movie, Downey wasn't playing Tony Stark-he was playing himself. Stark is not a smart alecky kind of guy; Downey is.

You've either peaked or piqued my curiosity: would you state, as a Moore fan, that Rog wasn't playing Bond? Or Pierce? That aside, I don't see how you can argue that RJD was playing himself: this performance isn't like anything he's previously done. Though he certainly played off his past 'baggage' as a party animal...and though he slipped once or twice into his trademark twitch...this was a landmark performance with a Downey as decisive, bold, manly and charismatic as Dan Craig. The 'real' Downey is probably quite a bit more of the geek. I'm glad you liked the film, though. Watch it again some time after seeing Kiss Kiss Bang Bang or some other RJD flick and I think you'll agree he did a heck of a lot more than simply play himself. Cheers.

#35 Stephen Spotswood

Stephen Spotswood

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 05:15 PM

Roger Moore was still playing Simon Templar, the Saint, and Brosnan was still playing Remington Steele.

I guess to be technical, although I liked Timothy Dalton's interpretation of Bond the best, he could've been playing Heathcliff.

Heathcliff of Wuthering Heights, not that big ol dawg in the comic strips.

#36 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 02:09 AM

You've either peaked or piqued my curiosity: would you state, as a Moore fan, that Rog wasn't playing Bond? Or Pierce? That aside, I don't see how you can argue that RJD was playing himself: this performance isn't like anything he's previously done. Though he certainly played off his past 'baggage' as a party animal...and though he slipped once or twice into his trademark twitch...this was a landmark performance with a Downey as decisive, bold, manly and charismatic as Dan Craig. The 'real' Downey is probably quite a bit more of the geek. I'm glad you liked the film, though. Watch it again some time after seeing Kiss Kiss Bang Bang or some other RJD flick and I think you'll agree he did a heck of a lot more than simply play himself. Cheers.

I state, as a Roger fan and a Pierce fan, that they both were playing Bond.

As for sitting through KKBB or any other RDJ film I haven't already seen, pass.

#37 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 02:16 AM

Roger played Bond officially, yes, but there was a lot of his own personality in there. He can be said to be the most removed from the Fleming creation.

As Roger said, he isn't a killer type and plays it mostly for laughs. But, there is nothing wrong with it because that is his interpretation of the character. It proved to be very successful with the audience, who for the most part didn't care he exuded little Fleming. Roger, like Downey Jr, entertained the crowd, and that is what matters.

#38 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 02:33 AM

I state, as a Roger fan and a Pierce fan, that they both were playing Bond.

As for sitting through KKBB or any other RDJ film I haven't already seen, pass.

So Rog and PB were playing Bond but RDJ was only playing himself, though you won't check out his other films. I respect your choice, but it confuses me.

#39 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 06:03 PM

Heathcliff of Wuthering Heights, not that big ol dawg in the comic strips.

He's a Cat!

#40 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 04:26 AM

Comic book artists have been using Dalton's likeness for Tony Stark since Alex Ross used him as reference in his painted mini-series Marvels in 1994. In the latest issue of Iron Man, #28, the artist, Roberto de la Torre, not only draws Tim as Tony, he also works in the "pig" used in TLD to spirit Koskov out of Bratislava as an escape pod.

I think Mr.De La Torre is a Bond fan.

Do you have a picture from Iron Man #28? I would be interested to see.

I always thought Timothy Dalton would've made an excellent Tony Stark. He looks pretty perfect as him... well at least during either his Flash Gordon days or around the time of The Living Daylights.

Also, the Marvel Legends Iron Man (Series 1) looks kind of like Timothy Dalton:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Just purchased this figure at Comic-Con! B)

#41 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 07:09 PM

Lets all just be honest and say that Alex Ross' versions of the heroes are always the best ... or in my opinion at least.

Though now the overriding influence on Iron Man's look is Adi Granov's art (the suits in the movies are based exactly on his after all) even his contemporary IM looks like Dalton.

#42 The Ghost Who Walks

The Ghost Who Walks

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 07:19 PM

I can only imagine how much more interesting the Iron Man movie would have been if it featured Dalton in a part (he'd have been perfect for the bad guy played by Jeff Bridges). Somebody give this man a better career!!!!

#43 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 08:52 PM

He should have been Tony's dad, highlight the more Hughes side of Stark's personality in his dad so you believe more that he really could start such a great company and his son could be such an engineering genius.

#44 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 08:58 PM

I can only imagine how much more interesting the Iron Man movie would have been if it featured Dalton in a part (he'd have been perfect for the bad guy played by Jeff Bridges). Somebody give this man a better career!!!!

I dunno, I thought Bridges was absolutely perfect. Really I had no complaints with any of the cast of that film.

#45 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 11:35 PM

Well Jarvis could have been a human rather than some talking computer ... I called that lame.

Enter, the real Jarvis!

Posted Image

Edited by OmarB, 26 July 2009 - 11:37 PM.

#46 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 01:36 AM

Yeah I was kind of sad about that. Maybe we'll get a Robo-Jarvis sometime in the future?