45 replies to this topic

#1 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 01:12 AM

Comic book artists have been using Dalton's likeness for Tony Stark since Alex Ross used him as reference in his painted mini-series Marvels in 1994. In the latest issue of Iron Man, #28, the artist, Roberto de la Torre, not only draws Tim as Tony, he also works in the "pig" used in TLD to spirit Koskov out of Bratislava as an escape pod.

I think Mr.De La Torre is a Bond fan.

#2 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 01:48 AM

That's pretty cool. :tup:

#3 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 02:33 AM

Hot tip--and, as said, way-cool. The mere mention of Iron Man has me panting for the release of Robert Downey's--please, Lord--smash breakout film.

#4 WC

WC

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 02:36 AM

Comic book artists have been using Dalton's likeness for Tony Stark since Alex Ross used him as reference in his painted mini-series Marvels in 1994. In the latest issue of Iron Man, #28, the artist, Roberto de la Torre, not only draws Tim as Tony, he also works in the "pig" used in TLD to spirit Koskov out of Bratislava as an escape pod.

I think Mr.De La Torre is a Bond fan.

Do you have a picture from Iron Man #28? I would be interested to see.

I always thought Timothy Dalton would've made an excellent Tony Stark. He looks pretty perfect as him... well at least during either his Flash Gordon days or around the time of The Living Daylights.

Also, the Marvel Legends Iron Man (Series 1) looks kind of like Timothy Dalton:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 06:54 AM

That does look like Dalton!

I no longer have access to a scanner. I'll see if I can find an example of Roberto's Dalton likeness online.

#6 Dekard77

Dekard77

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 11:09 AM

That does look like Dalton!

I no longer have access to a scanner. I'll see if I can find an example of Roberto's Dalton likeness online.

Tres Cool !!!! He is one of th most underused actors of our generation!!!!!!

#7 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 03:43 PM

Iwould probably be more interested in seeing the new movie if Dalton were Iron Man. From the trailer, the movie looks just to be okay at best.

#8 mrsbonds_ppk

mrsbonds_ppk

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1297 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 11:54 PM

That's interesting because growing up when I saw Dalton as Price Barin in Flash Gordon I thought he looked like Tony Stark.

#9 Bond Bombshell

Bond Bombshell

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 461 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 01:38 AM

Alex Ross obviously thought so too.

Posted Image

#10 WC

WC

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 03:05 AM

Tony Stark was created as a kind of cross between Howard Hughes and Errol Flynn. Timothy Dalton has qualities of both of those.

Iwould probably be more interested in seeing the new movie if Dalton were Iron Man. From the trailer, the movie looks just to be okay at best.

Unfortunately Dalton is too old to play Stark now. He would've been best around the time of TLD or Flash Gordon, but back then they didn't have the technology to make a decent Iron Man movie. Dalton however embodies the look of Stark more than any other actor and wouldn't even have needed a goatee (like Downey Jr) to make him fit the part. He would've been perfectly capable with just his mustache without looking outdated. He would've been taller than Downey Jr too.

More pics of Alex Ross's rendition of Dalton Stark:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 Lady Rose

Lady Rose

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 384 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 10:36 AM

Wow ... that last picture looks like it's been lifted straight of a scene from The Rocketeer!!

#12 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 11:27 AM

That's cool. I had no idea about the Dalton/Iron Man connection.

#13 WC

WC

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 12:32 PM

Another one:

Posted Image

#14 Lady Rose

Lady Rose

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 384 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 01:37 PM

Alex Ross obviously thought so too.

Posted Image

Alex Ross is also a big Flash Gordon fan who also did the artwork for the special edition DVD that was released a little while ago ...

#15 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 11:28 PM

Alex Ross is also a big Flash Gordon fan who also did the artwork for the special edition DVD that was released a little while ago ...

He also designed the action figures based on the film that have either been released or are soon to be released.

#16 WC

WC

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 11:37 PM

He also designed the action figures based on the film that have either been released or are soon to be released.

Oh there are action figures of that film? What scale? 6"? I wonder if there is one of Timothy Dalton? That would be cool if there is. Are there any pictures of these figures? Thanks.

#17 Stephen Spotswood

Stephen Spotswood

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 07:03 PM

I mentioned several months ago that if they grabbed Dalton back in the 80's he could've been Iron-Man as well as Dr. Strange.

But even at his present age I'd love to see Timothy Dalton in a string of Dr. Who movies, perhaps playing it more like William Hartnell the original.

#18 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 09:44 PM

Oh there are action figures of that film? What scale? 6"? I wonder if there is one of Timothy Dalton? That would be cool if there is. Are there any pictures of these figures? Thanks.

Actually they are 7". There are figures of Flash & Ming, and plans for a Prince Barin figure.
Flah Gordon and Ming movie figures

#19 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 10:17 PM

Comic book artists have been using Dalton's likeness for Tony Stark since Alex Ross used him as reference in his painted mini-series Marvels in 1994.

Hope Dalton's getting some cash for this. Can't imagine anyone using Connery's likeness for anything without having to stump up some wonga.

#20 WC

WC

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 03:56 AM

Comic book artists have been using Dalton's likeness for Tony Stark since Alex Ross used him as reference in his painted mini-series Marvels in 1994.

Hope Dalton's getting some cash for this. Can't imagine anyone using Connery's likeness for anything without having to stump up some wonga.

Actually, the character "Deuce" in the comic book series "Damger Girl" is clearly based on Sean Connery. Well it's more his current look as he is in his old age with a beard rather than as he was in his Bond days (although when there are flashbacks it shows Deuce with a similar appearance to James Bond). Deuce is a former British Spy who serves as mentor to the organisation "Danger Girl".

I don't know if there are any royalties paid to Connery for that.

Actually they are 7". There are figures of Flash & Ming, and plans for a Prince Barin figure.
Flah Gordon and Ming movie figures

Oh 7". That's a shame. I wonder if he'll have a big head though. If there was a Prince Barin figure, his head could've been used for a Tony Stark custom figure. Maybe he might fit with other 6" figures, or maybe not. We'll have to see.

#21 Stephen Spotswood

Stephen Spotswood

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 09:11 PM

Wow ... that last picture looks like it's been lifted straight of a scene from The Rocketeer!!

Funny you should say that. The Rocketeer was clearly influenced by the Republic Serial King of the Rocketmen, starring Tristram Coffin. Although he didn't wear any armor he did have the helmet and flew. In at least one early chapter, he had some kind of electrical ray gun, but in the rest a conventional revolver. And Tristram had a pencil line mustache.

http://cmp.bravepage...s/codyking2.jpg

That's him on the lower right with the girl

http://www.ijpc.org/...s/press_005.jpg

#22 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 08:45 AM

Actually, the character "Deuce" in the comic book series "Damger Girl" is clearly based on Sean Connery. Well it's more his current look as he is in his old age with a beard rather than as he was in his Bond days (although when there are flashbacks it shows Deuce with a similar appearance to James Bond). Deuce is a former British Spy who serves as mentor to the organisation "Danger Girl".

I don't know if there are any royalties paid to Connery for that.

No to both. This kind of thing, artists using actors likenesses as reference, falls under the radar so neither Dalton nor Connery are getting any money for it, especially the "Deuce" character since he only resembles Sean. Jackson "Butch" Guice made the mistake of using Amy Grant's likeness on a Dr.Strange cover for Marvel. It was so blatant that she sued.

#23 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 08:47 AM

However good Downey Jr may be, Dalton should have played Tony Stark!

#24 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 09:00 AM

However good Downey Jr may be, Dalton should have played Tony Stark!

The question arises-would Dalton have been willing to play Tony Stark had he been asked back in the '90s?

#25 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 05:35 PM

Downey officially owns the role now--as completely and utterly as Connery did Bond. So they'd better recall all the Tim dolls right quick!

#26 WC

WC

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 08:16 PM

Downey officially owns the role now--as completely and utterly as Connery did Bond. So they'd better recall all the Tim dolls right quick!

The Iron Man figures with Tim's likeness are classic figures now and still superb next to the current Iron Man movie toys. The only thing that the movie figures have which is superior is the metallic paintjob.

#27 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 11:28 AM

Downey did a magnificent job, I'll give him that. He stepped right into the role and made it his. He didn't even seem to be acting, just being himself. He is really enjoyable to watch on screen.

#28 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 06:07 PM

Downey did a magnificent job, I'll give him that. He stepped right into the role and made it his. He didn't even seem to be acting, just being himself. He is really enjoyable to watch on screen.

Good point,Sharp. One of my other favorite scenes was the cheeseburger sit-down with the media. There, and numerous other times, not only does RDJ not seem to be acting...I had no sense I was watching a film, no awareness of the screen. Pure joy.

#29 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 01:42 AM

He didn't even seem to be acting, just being himself.

That's the problem. While I enjoyed the movie, Downey wasn't playing Tony Stark-he was playing himself. Stark is not a smart alecky kind of guy; Downey is.

#30 mrsbonds_ppk

mrsbonds_ppk

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1297 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 04:42 AM

I thought that too while watching the movie.