41 replies to this topic

#1 Leon

Leon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 02:54 AM

As we have discovered from The Insider and Entertainment Tonight there will be a grand scene in QoS where Bond attends a charity dinner party in Bolivia (possibly hosted by Dominic Greene?).

I wonder if this is coincidence or may it reference anything from the short story, Quantum of Solace?

Edited by Leon, 28 February 2008 - 02:55 AM.

#2 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 03:12 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall reading that there are no references back to the short story aside from its title and meaning. I believe it was an interview with MGW that clarified this. It would be nice if this has since changed, and there's a bit more of a reference there, though I understand it's not possible for Bond to sit and listen to a story that might take twenty minutes to reiterate in full detail. Still, a scant summary might be better than nothing.

#3 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 03:29 AM

Hopefully there will be some form of a reference to the short story. I'm not a fan of simply using a Fleming title just for the sake of having a Fleming title. The use of the title should be reflected in the film with the inclusion of at least some small reference to something found in the short story.

#4 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 03:43 AM

I agree, tdalton. Whether or not Haggis penned it (and it sounds like he didn't), I hope there's at least a passing reference in the movie to Fleming's QOS.

#5 Leon

Leon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 04:12 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall reading that there are no references back to the short story aside from its title and meaning. I believe it was an interview with MGW that clarified this. It would be nice if this has since changed, and there's a bit more of a reference there, though I understand it's not possible for Bond to sit and listen to a story that might take twenty minutes to reiterate in full detail. Still, a scant summary might be better than nothing.

There was yes, MGW said there were no direct references to the short story. However we have heard from Jeffrey Wright that the script was still being altered as they are filming. This is common practice of course but I believe he was talking about some holes in the script due to the writers strike causing the rush.

I'd guess the dinner party was already in the screenplay but they could still have added a few minor elements since deciding on the title. All it would need would be a cut during the Party scene to Bond having a discussion with a governor-looking man and a few lines of dialogue from the end of the book being involved.

Easy to add and it would be a superb subtle wink for fans. I'd just thought of that in a minute there so I don't see much excuse for the producers not thinking of something at least.

#6 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 05:01 AM

Probably not since Haggis didn't write the script knowing it would be called Quantum of Solace.

#7 Leon

Leon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 06:16 AM

Probably not since Haggis didn't write the script knowing it would be called Quantum of Solace.

Read my last post there.

#8 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:01 AM

Read my last post there.

Forgive my repetitive post. Sometimes I skip long posts because I'm too lazy to read the whole thing. In my defense, I did read your first post where you ask if it's a coincidence and I wasn't expecting you to change your tune in the post above. The dinner party is a coincidence.

#9 Mr Twilight

Mr Twilight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 09:09 AM

I guess we never hear the line Quantum of solace mentioned in the film then either.

#10 Whalltt

Whalltt

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 11:08 AM

I could be easily be put into the movie. Not the whole conversation at dinner, but with a couple of lines, someone (Haggis is not doing it apparently) could write it in order to make a reference to the short story. Why choose such an uncommon title and then leave it so detached from the movie?

#11 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 11:30 AM

As we have discovered from The Insider and Entertainment Tonight there will be a grand scene in QoS where Bond attends a charity dinner party in Bolivia (possibly hosted by Dominic Greene?).

I wonder if this is coincidence or may it reference anything from the short story, Quantum of Solace?

The party in the film is not what anyone would call a

#12 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 01:53 PM

Exactly. In the story there are only 5 people at the dinner party.

A huge outdoor gala in Panama doubling for Bolivia does not equate to an intimate dinner party in Nassau.

Ooh, Bond is speaking in English in the movie. In the story, he speaks in English - it must be taken from the book!

I agree, an indirect reference, ala the line in Octopussy about her father, would be nice, but I doubt we'll see it.

#13 Leon

Leon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 01:56 PM

Well excuse me for trying to make interesing discussion, I forgot Bond fans are so cynical and dull.

I thought I saw laid out tables in the videos, on looking again I don't see them. My mistake.

#14 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 06:38 PM

Bond attends a charity dinner party in Bolivia (possibly hosted by Dominic Greene?).

Well, Mike told that there's not reference to the short story, but I'd like to see someone telling Bond about the story of Philip Masters and Rhoda. And, in the story, Bond tells he did a mission whith the aid of a boat... so, that could have a reference to Daniel's rehearsals with a boat recently.

#15 TaoMike

TaoMike

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 02:58 AM

Hopefully there will be some form of a reference to the short story. I'm not a fan of simply using a Fleming title just for the sake of having a Fleming title. The use of the title should be reflected in the film with the inclusion of at least some small reference to something found in the short story.

Agreed. As long as it's not as cringe-inducing as the title reference in AVTAK...

#16 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 03:06 AM

Agreed. As long as it's not as cringe-inducing as the title reference in AVTAK...

Or the one in YOLT; blecchhhh... :tup:

#17 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 03:14 AM

"You only live twice, Mr. Bond" worked perfectly because James Bond "died" in the beginning and then was about to be killed by Blofeld in the volcano. Two lives.

#18 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 03:28 AM

"You only live twice, Mr. Bond" worked perfectly because James Bond "died" in the beginning and then was about to be killed by Blofeld in the volcano. Two lives.

It ruins the way it was meant in the novel. :tup:

#19 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 03:30 AM

Oh, well I'm not a Fleming scholar. What was the meaning in the novel?

#20 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 03:38 AM

Or the one in YOLT; blecchhhh... :(

Bond rises from the ashes of Blofeld's castle without his memory, and begins living his cover as a Japanese fisherman as his actual existence; hence, You Only Live Twice. :tup:

#21 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 07:05 AM

Or the one in YOLT; blecchhhh... :)

Bond rises from the ashes of Blofeld's castle without his memory, and begins living his cover as a Japanese fisherman as his actual existence; hence, You Only Live Twice. :tup:

It has a number of meanings in the novel, not least the one expressed in your signature. :(

#22 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 07:08 AM

Or the one in YOLT; blecchhhh... :)

It has a number of meanings in the novel, not least the one expressed in your signature. :(

None of them being the ones expressed by the title song and title line... :D

#23 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 07:21 AM

None of them being the ones expressed by the title song and title line... :tup:

All together now

You only live twice, ♫
Or so it seems,
One life for yourself,
And one where you rises from the ashes of Blofeld's castle without your memory, and begin living your cover as a Japanese fisherman as your actual existence,
You Only Live Twice.

Catchy!

#24 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 07:29 AM

I find solace in knowing that I have one life for myself and one for my dreams. :tup:

#25 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 08:40 AM

I find solace in knowing that I have one life for myself and one for my dreams. :tup:

Well, it'd have to be a quantum at that, wouldn't it? :tup:

#26 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 02:01 PM

So it sounds as if Haggis wrote the script not knowing what Quantum of Solace actually meant and ironically used the exact same meaning as the short story without knowing. :tup:

#27 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 09:04 PM

So it sounds as if Haggis wrote the script not knowing what Quantum of Solace actually meant and ironically used the exact same meaning as the short story without knowing. :(

To quote your favorite upgraded DVD, Mharkin: :tup:

"Sounds like a load of bull." :tup:

#28 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 09:07 PM

My upgraded DVD? :tup:

#29 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld